• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's Address The Elephant In The Room. Switch OLED is ONLY $50 cheaper than a PS5

I was expecting atleast some hardware improvement maybe not 4K Switch level leak rumor improvement but atleast some kind of specs bump but no all we got is a OLED screen.

How can such an outdated hardware of a console be priced anywhere near $350? It's so underpowered yet, it costs just $50 US Dollar less than a PS5 Digital Edition. The Switch OLED is now more expensive than the Xbox Series S is, which is underpowered on its own, but is still miles stronger than the new Nintendo Switch Oled.

They Nintendo is selling us 2012 hardware specs with no specs improvement from the regular Switch which is already overpriced itself for almost the exact same price as a Next Gen 10 TFlops system is being sold for.

That all i have to say End Rant.

Last edited:
S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Is there even one business that would think "gee, our product is selling gangbusters. let us reduce the asking price."

This obviously isn't for people already owning a Switch, this is for new customers.

Last edited by a moderator:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Supply and demand. The Switch is still selling well at $300. This thing has an OLED screen and more RAM so they can charge more for it and people will pay for it.

Nintendo doesnt have to play by the same rules. They are selling the portable experience first and foremost.

scydrex

And yet they will still sell gazillions.

Because they have games.

Sure, botw, mario, mario kart, animal crossing, smash bro and metroid this year, what else? Botw 2 next year ok. Seriously what games? How much Nintendo exclusive are there? Third party is better to play it on Xbox S that's is cheaper or X or PS5. No Netflix, i see Youtube recently. No Disney+ i mean parents buys the Switch for kids right? Why it dosen't have Netflix and Disney+ for the kids to watch it in their Switch? Even the 3ds had Netflix? Nintendo...

I don't agree with the OP this is a portable machine. Is a bit expensive to me. If the Switch Oled would be $300 would be fine for me.

Last edited:

HTK

Banned
Nintendo does what Nintendo does and people buy it, so I won't even question it.

I do wish at some point Nintendo releases a console that I'm personally excited for, but until then it's PlayStation and hopefully i can get my hands on a Series X this year.

Good point, OP. I love my PS5's hand-held mode - leaves the Switch for dead. Anyway, when do Animal Crossing, Mario, or Zelda release for the PS5? Can't wait to play them!
We not talking games here it about the hardware and specs. Something with this kind of specs should be priced accordingly the fact that it only 50 less than a PS5 which blow it out of the water is mind boggling.

RCU005

It's not relevant to compare them. The Switch is a different thing, and even though it's still a video game, it's in their own ecosystem.

IMO, this was a great opportunity to lower the price of the original Switch to $250. That way they would've had:

Switch Lite: $199
Switch Original: $249
Switch OLED: $299.

Nintendo didn't do it, because they think they still have enough demand for the price, but on the other side, I don't thing there will be a lot of demand for the OLED.

Also think that Nintendo will discontinue the normal Switch and leave the OLED sometime not so far in the future.

Tschumi

I'm right there with you.

But like, Er. Most Switch gamers probably don't know what a PS Vita is, at least, outside of some abstract knowledge that it was a product name a decade or so ago, so like to them an OLED handheld gaming console is the kneesiest of bee's knees.

OMG look at all the vibrant colours I'ma get.

*grumble mumble goes to play his Vita 1000*

I still think this'll reduce the price on regular Switches in second hand stores here, only I don't think I'll ever buy another console

Last edited:
S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Seriously what games?
According to Metacritic, there are over 400 896 games with a score of at least 70.
I am seriously asking how much time some of you people have.

And I know that Metacritic is a dull way of determining a game's quality, but for the sake of showcasing that there are in fact plenty of games, it works.

Edit: The number of 400 was wrong. It's actually more than 800. I thought there were only 50 games per page, there are 100 though.

Last edited by a moderator:

LordCBH

Definitely not for me without more horsepower. The current switch already doesn’t leave my screen with its 2 and a half hour battery.

Roxkis_ii

I personally can't really justify a Switch at that price if I'm just in the market for a new console.
But maybe it's people who value portability that much.

This only really seems to be a reality due to lack of competition. I wish Sony would bring back the PSP to compete, minus bone headed storage issues. Even MS could hop in the handheld world swinging if they could make a elegant, gaming specific, portable and just run gamepass games on device. That could be interesting, but knowing Microsoft, they would probably make it online only (making it pointless for anyone with a cell phone and an Xbox controller).

I don't agree with the price, it doesn't seem like a good value, but Nintendo will make 500 of them globally, and they will sell out because it says Nintendo on the packaging.

Codes 208

I would prefer that the consoles be $50 cheaper myself but it’s hardly the specs why I own a switch. Hell I think it’s a bigger waste of money that I’ve spent over $1000 just on my iPhone and all I ever really use it for is browsing gaf.
Nintendo are legit anti consumer. But Nintendrones don't care.
Complete hyperbole right here. The only real big thing regarding Nintendo that makes them “anti-consumer” is the Nintendo tax. But if you want to see real anti-consumer, the Xbox one when it was revealed (Kinect only, DRM, no used games) is the epitome of anti-consumer.

hell, it seems every other week there’s a new game revealed to have almost incorporate cross-play but Sony decided they didn’t want to play nice. I consider that a worse case of anti-consumer than this.

Just because Switch was in your thread title I thought "I really want to play Mario or Zelda", thats the power they have lol.
Again with the games? We talking about Hardware, Specs and how underpowered it is. It cool that you love Mario & Zelda but the fact is that the Specs of the console is laughable in this day and age and with how they are pricing it at.

Top Bottom