• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let settle this once and for all…help a Switch brother out!

Let’s settle this once and for all.

Excluding BoTW, and Xenoblade. Name some RPG’s you believe are actually good on Switch.

No hype or fake review banter. We don’t need to read regurgitated review synopsis.

Just good games. In your own words. Old games, indies, AA-AAA, does not matter. In this time of inflation…what is worth peoples hard earned money?

Whatever you feel is truly worth playing on Switch.
——————————————————
I’ll give you two.

Paper Mario Origami King:

Plus: amazing graphics, one more turn style combat, engaging story for a paper Mario. Puzzles. This story could be taken as a story about cultist extremism. Which I have actually talked to devs at a major 3rd party and they agreed. Creatively hidden as a Mario game.

Minus: the regular battles are god awful after a little bit. Extremely repetitive.

I did not complete the game. But played enough to know it is one of the better Paper Mario’s. I played until the final world and had enough of the smaller battles.

Sega Ages Phantasy Star:

Plus: quality of life improvements make it playable today. The battle system is amazing for a game made in the late 1980’s. The graphics are amazing for a game that age as well.

Minus: The story is somewhat unoriginal and really takes a lot of liberties from Star Wars and other popular fantasy stories.

Some gameplay design choices feel very dated. The game would lend itself well to a complete modern day remake.

Honestly, I’ll just say it. This is THE QUINTESSENTIAL GAME OF THE NES/Master System era. Over Mario and Zelda!

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I just subscribe to the previous nintendo and sega consoles. I have BOTW but I was informed I needed to play the first 2 xenoblade games to really get what' happening in 3. I only know you're like this soldier who only lives for a decade....

I tried Dragon Quest IX, didn't really move me.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Mario + Rabbids is a fantastic game as well as the second: Mario + Rabbids spark of hope.

BONUS:
If you live in the US you can buy Mario + Rabbids Spark of Hope Cosmic Edition ($20 bucks off right now) at Best Buy and you get a free copy of Mario + Rabbids

mNY1rOw.png

Also if you don't have any other consoles Monster Hunter Rise is great.

Last edited:

Tangerine

I 100%ed origami king, loved it.

Pokémon legends arceus 100%ed too

Recently 100%ed the first Mario Rabbids and donkey Kong dlc. Great stuff!

Tales of vesperia

Astral chain

Nier automata

Hades

Death's door

Tunic

Darkest dungeon

Bug fables

Valerian chronicles 4

Divinity original sin 2

The 2 south park games

Steamworld quest

Torchlight 2

Golf story

Persona 5 royal

SMT 5

Think those are RPGs of sorts. Sorry if not.

Last edited:

Chastten

Banned
You know, this is kind of a hard one. The Switch has tons of jRPG's I greatly enjoyed but pretty much all of them are very focussed on the usual jRPG crowd and don't try to do new things or reach new audiences, for better or worse. I think not a single of my suggestions would attract a more casual audience.

That being said, I personally really loved Persona 5 Royal, Blue Reflection Second Light, Trials of Mana, Bravely Default 2, Atelier Ryza 1 & 2, Ys 8 & 9 from the top of my head.

Astral Dog

Dragon's Dogma
yep Dragon's Dogma is pretty awesome (altough its open world now feels dated)

Mario x Rabbids is a nice recommendation as well since its low price.

Because most heavy hitters have been mentioned, Tokyo Mirage Sessions is also an underrted gem on the Switch lineup, visuals, battles, music, dungeons all make it unique

i just started Crisis Core Reunion and its very fun so far thanks to the combat system and also looks great its a must play if you liked FFVIIR

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
SMT V if you want a game focused 100% on gameplay. It also has a pretty good OST and offers quite the challenge. Story is kinda meh but it's not the focus.

cireza

Banned
Valkyria Chronicles 4 is a very solid port and one of the best modern JRPGs. Not bloated with social shit, open-worlds and fetch-quests.

A great game, with great gameplay, varied situations and a blast to play.

Fbh

Ive got to add Triangle Strategy:
Fun SRPG with enjoyable and challenging combat, a unique decision making mechanic with some tough choices and a compelling story with a slightly more grounded/mature tone than what Square is usually known for these days. Warning though, it's VERY story heavy so avoid if you don't want to read through hours of dialogue.

H4ze

If you like old-school arpg's you should take a look at Blade of Darkness. There even should be a discount going on right now.

But be aware, it's not a easy game.

Also I encountered a bug, the game usually runs a perfect 60 fps, but when I but the switch to sleep and them jump back into the game, it's heavily dropping frames. But saving (to be sure) and a simple restart of the game always fixes the problem.

I personally thought Fire Emblem Three Houses is one of the MOST interesting and overrated games.

The sim element was cringe inducing with the school students.

Yet, the time jump was an interesting premise. To see the students return in adult form.

Not as good as Awakening imo.

Tangerine

I personally thought Fire Emblem Three Houses is one of the MOST interesting and overrated games.

The sim element was cringe inducing with the school students.

Yet, the time jump was an interesting premise. To see the students return in adult form.

Not as good as Awakening imo.
I really need to go back to that game. For some reason I didn't even play enough to get to the time skip... And I was enjoying it plenty.

I revisited the first Mario Rabbids and started from the start and finished every single bit of it and the DLC.

Playing through xenoblade 2 currently for the first time. Maybe next I should revisit 3 houses.

F31 Leopard

Some short JRPGs that I found decent were I am Setsuna, Lost Sphear and Oninaki. Lots of people dislike Tokyo RPG Factory but these were entertaining enough for me to beat all of them. I recommend trying the demos first to see if you like them or not. Some people mentioned Atelier Ryza 1 and 2 which I really enjoyed. I was more addicted to Alchemy crafting then the battles.

Top Bottom