• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO City Undercover...or GTA V "brick edition"

VGEsoterica

I 100% get that when you are talking "open world games" the conversation pretty much starts and stops with GTA V. Which isn't a negative...V is legitimately the most impressive and feature rich open world game I've ever played and I still come back to it from time to time to toss a few hours into it.

But LEGO City Undercover? For a game I don't hear many people ever mention damn if it isn't a "GTA level quality" game in my opinion. From the massive open world "crafted" of LEGO to the charm and wit of the story...it genuinely feels AS GOOD as GTA V even if it's wildly different in what it's trying to accomplish story wise.

I've heard LEGO City described as "GTA for kids"...which never seems fair. While it certainly doesn't feature prostitutes and murder I don't think that immediately qualifies it as "kids game" status. There is a metric ton of stuff in the game that an "adult" can wholly enjoy and the story is smart and well told and definitely not "dumbed down" just for kids. There are definitely plenty of jokes in the game that you will ONLY get if you are NOT a kid lol

But the gameplay is where the game really shines and feels "as good" as GTA V. The massive open world, all the hidden secrets, vehicles to drive, missions to complete, random mini games to play, etc etc etc. It's as full of things to see and do as GTA and to me it's visually more interesting since it's all designed around the concept of LEGO.

Long story short...damn LEGO City Undercover is an awesome open world game and one I don't feel gets the credit it deserves.

But I am curious? What "other" games do people think are "as good as the best one in the genre" that don't get the credit they deserve?

Soodanim

I always heard good things about this game, but never got round to playing it. It seems like it slipped under the radar for most, and could probably benefit from a port to another system or three.

Tuff McNutt

I got it for something me and my son to play together, and it was on sale on PSN for $5. It's definitely a good game. My only big complaint so far is that some of the mission objectives are annoying. Like you have to be looking at the specific spot for a specific brick you need to get.

For under-rated open world games, I would go with Sleeping Dogs. It was my favorite of the genre on the PS3 and still the only game that I've gotten a platinum trophy.

Last edited:

VGEsoterica

I got it for something me and my son to play together, and it was on sale on PSN for $5. It's definitely a good game. My only big complaint so far is that some of the mission objectives are annoying. Like you have to be looking at the specific spot for a specific brick you need to get.

For under-rated open world games, I would go with Sleeping Dogs. It was my favorite of the genre on the PS3 and still the only game that I've gotten a platinum trophy.
I need to play Sleeping Dogs still. Been on my list forever

wOs

I really enjoyed this game. If you like legit games then it's hard to see why you wouldn't like this one. Unless being a licensed game
Is your main draw.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I beat it on WiiU back in the day, and it's fine, but it really is just one of the 500 Lego games on a bigger map. Not that that's inherently a bad thing, but it's no GTA V.

Tuff McNutt

I need to play Sleeping Dogs still. Been on my list forever
The complete edition is regularly on sale on PSN for $5. It's a no-brainer at that price. Great car handling, fun hand to hand combat with lots of varied weapons/environmental kills, great gun fighting, and a interesting story with good voice acting and a sense of humor thrown in without being too goofy. If you like kung fu and/or Hong Kong movies, there are lots of little touches as well, like being able to get outfits from movies like Drunken Master.

BigBooper

It's pretty great. My kids all like playing it and Lego Marvel the most. The Wii U version had the worst performance of any console game I've ever played though.

VGEsoterica

The complete edition is regularly on sale on PSN for $5. It's a no-brainer at that price. Great car handling, fun hand to hand combat with lots of varied weapons/environmental kills, great gun fighting, and a interesting story with good voice acting and a sense of humor thrown in without being too goofy. If you like kung fu and/or Hong Kong movies, there are lots of little touches as well, like being able to get outfits from movies like Drunken Master.
Ill pick it up today. I have beaten Castlevania I-IV and Rondo in the last three days and need something new to distract myself (suddenly sick and struggling dog so my wife and I stay up at night in shifts. Games keep me awake lol)

nkarafo

I like the game but it's kinda disappointing how not everything is made out of legos. The vehicles and most objects are, but the city itself, the buildings, hills, streets, etc, could as well be used in any other game.

VGEsoterica

I like the game but it's kinda disappointing how not everything is made out of legos. The vehicles and most objects are, but the city itself, the buildings, hills, streets, etc, could as well be used in any other game.
I’d imagine to ship the game on any decent schedule they probably prioritized what was Lego and what was just an asset

fart town usa

Gold Member
Got this for Christmas this past year on the WiiU, haven't played much but it is really neat so far. Only thing preventing me from playing it more is because it requires the TV. I do plan on dedicating some more time to it though.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
The game came out as a WiiU exclusive in the same year that GTA5 launched. It was the butt of the joke, just as anything else that came out for WiiU in the console’s first year and a half. Never stood a serious chance. Anyone who actually played it (not me) had mostly good things to say about it, though.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Interesting. Reminds me of Simpsons hit and run
Let's keep tooting the horn for a sequel. Can you even imagine how it'd look and feel now?

Lego Undercover looks awesome. If it comes to a console I have, I may check it out. Though I got bored of the Lego Marvel games quick, and I love Marvel.

VGEsoterica

Let's keep tooting the horn for a sequel. Can you even imagine how it'd look and feel now?

Lego Undercover looks awesome. If it comes to a console I have, I may check it out. Though I got bored of the Lego Marvel games quick, and I love Marvel.
Def try it if you get the chance. Never really gets boring. If GTA V doesn’t bore you this won’t either :)

gela94

Bought it back then on WiiU, almost unplayable for me . . .these loooooooooading time oh god it ewas horrible.Always intended to get the port because it was charming as fuck.

Loved this game, it was the perfect game to come home to after a typical shitty day of destroying my back and knees for money (and not in a good way).

I 100% get that when you are talking "open world games" the conversation pretty much starts and stops with GTA V. Which isn't a negative...V is legitimately the most impressive and feature rich open world game I've ever played and I still come back to it from time to time to toss a few hours into it.

But LEGO City Undercover? For a game I don't hear many people ever mention damn if it isn't a "GTA level quality" game in my opinion. From the massive open world "crafted" of LEGO to the charm and wit of the story...it genuinely feels AS GOOD as GTA V even if it's wildly different in what it's trying to accomplish story wise.

I've heard LEGO City described as "GTA for kids"...which never seems fair. While it certainly doesn't feature prostitutes and murder I don't think that immediately qualifies it as "kids game" status. There is a metric ton of stuff in the game that an "adult" can wholly enjoy and the story is smart and well told and definitely not "dumbed down" just for kids. There are definitely plenty of jokes in the game that you will ONLY get if you are NOT a kid lol

But the gameplay is where the game really shines and feels "as good" as GTA V. The massive open world, all the hidden secrets, vehicles to drive, missions to complete, random mini games to play, etc etc etc. It's as full of things to see and do as GTA and to me it's visually more interesting since it's all designed around the concept of LEGO.

Long story short...damn LEGO City Undercover is an awesome open world game and one I don't feel gets the credit it deserves.

But I am curious? What "other" games do people think are "as good as the best one in the genre" that don't get the credit they deserve?
Actually one of the biggest surprises ever, bought it expecting a good Lego game ( I love most of them ), I discovered an authentic hidden gem, and a ton of fun to play

Boxster17

I picked it up when it was on sale for under $10 not too long ago, but haven't gotten around to playing it yet. Sounds like it might end up being the next game I play here.

buenoblue

I have it on steam but never played it. Im looking for something to play so might check it out this weekend if I get time. Nice one.

NeoGiffer

No lego hookers. Sad face.

kxgfBdCayLUVi0vsRQEIhGd9yENn4uVJmg33EUyufw3jA2v0lA7FF11iDD7x7P8Y1STiebHF2RxSUFp7l3cB7JHOHT-YEKYKOIYJA2EdzRakodFzSVI

tumblr_lwbtwwOkoc1qcjokg.gif

I played it on Wii U because of the drought, and couldn't get into it. It was charming, but the gameplay was extremely basic. I also didn't like the forced gamepad

trikster40

I was so glad when this finally left Wii U. Picked it up on PS4, played the crap out of it. Like all Lego games, gets a bit long in the tooth if you’re a conpletionist, but it’s a blast.

VGEsoterica

I was so glad when this finally left Wii U. Picked it up on PS4, played the crap out of it. Like all Lego games, gets a bit long in the tooth if you’re a conpletionist, but it’s a blast.
It def hasA LOT of collectibles. Rare levels of collectibles

Areiz

Banned

Sleeping Dogs it is the most underrated sandbox game of the ps3 era.

Played the hell out of it. Fun mini GTA V game. Loved the costumes 😁

Dr.Morris79

My lad must've completed Lego city around three times on the Wii U, on the odd occasion i'd have a go with him and I can honestly say it was brilliant, it had some excellent comedy touches too. In terms of fun i'd certainly rate it higher than GTA V and it's a game i'd happily sit through again.

It's a great all rounder that reminds you why gaming is enjoyable.

I have been playing a lot of State of Decay 2 recently and I kind of see it as a GTA with zombies.
It reminds me of GTA , as SoD2 is third person, sandbox, drive cars, shoot lots of people/zombies.
It took me quite a while to give the game a chance, but once I did, I really enjoyed it. Its designed to be resource management/survival-centric, but once you get the hang of it and play it on the appropriate difficulties (there are difficulty sliders for different aspects of the game), I play it much as I would GTA. I largely drive around and shoot stuff.
Its definitely not as polished as GTA, but I do think its underrated.

Top Bottom