• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legendary MicroProse has been revived, announces their first new game, Warbirds 2020 on Unreal Engine 4

frogx

A new Unreal Engine version of WarBirds titled WarBirds 2020 for Windows and macOS is in the works for release this fall.
CEO David Lagettie of MicroProse says, “I am excited to work with iEntertainment Network CEO and Co-Founder of MicroProse, ‘Wild Bill’ Stealey, to produce the next generation of WarBirds 2020 WW II combat flight simulation using new modern technology and promoting worldwide.”
Wild Bill Stealey says, “It will be fun to be working with MicroProse again to do great simulation games! We are very excited to be partnering with David and his team to update our very successful WarBirds 2020 product for WW II combat simulation fans around the world.”
First screenshots:

zitrcMi.jpg

fuydwq1.jpg

714UrsN.jpg

microprose.com

frogx

Combat fight sim? Hm. Will it be that much better than IL2?

This will be a MMO, so it will be different to IL-2, they say they will be using some new technology that can render thousands of kilometers wide areas, potentialy even whole world, as David Lagettie the new CEO of Microprose owns also Titanim.net, Titanim renders whole world, it is used by military and never was public.

Last edited:

CeeJay

Awesome to see flight simulations having a resurgence! I have no interest in VR but a few decent flight sims could push me into getting a headset. Elite Dangerous almost did but I am not spending that much money just for one game.

MilkyJoe

I've waited every E13 since 2013

Also
Rogue Sqdn
Jedi Knight 4
It Came From the Desert remake
Rebellion doing a good Alien v Predator game, like the first one on PC
WW2 flight sim, like Battlefield, but in the skys. Lancasters and B17s etc on bombing runs, with BF 109s and Fokke Wulf 190s protecting the target. And vice versa over London

I should do the lottery

frogx

I have beautiful memory of multiplayer sessions on my amiga with a friend. It wasn't split screen so the game warped to both cars after a while. It was hilarious

If the new MicroProse can bring even half of the magic from the past it will be glorious :)

stranno

Air Duel: 80 Years of Dogfighting is still my favourite plane simulator of all time. MP did a great job back in the day, both in arcade and PC.

Traianvs

oh christ I just realized something that I need in my life and I need it now.
Darklands.
Imagine a remake with updated graphics and interface, a few QOI improvements but all the same complexity and choices.
I'm literally shaking :messenger_tears_of_joy:

A new Unreal Engine version of WarBirds titled WarBirds 2020 for Windows and macOS is in the works for release this fall.
CEO David Lagettie of MicroProse says, “I am excited to work with iEntertainment Network CEO and Co-Founder of MicroProse, ‘Wild Bill’ Stealey, to produce the next generation of WarBirds 2020 WW II combat flight simulation using new modern technology and promoting worldwide.”
Wild Bill Stealey says, “It will be fun to be working with MicroProse again to do great simulation games! We are very excited to be partnering with David and his team to update our very successful WarBirds 2020 product for WW II combat simulation fans around the world.”
First screenshots:

zitrcMi.jpg

fuydwq1.jpg

714UrsN.jpg

microprose.com
the Renaissance of flying games,
first MS Flying Simulator and now MicroProse??!

great times

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
So I came to this thread expecting it to be just someone buying a brand name much like the shambling corpse that was once Atari, but the involvement of Bill is hopefully a positive sign.

F-19 Stealth Fighter was amazing on the Atari ST, being both a reasonably good simulation by the standards of the time and also very accessible to 11 year old me. That, plus the Crammond games and Midwinter 2 took up a significant chunk of my childhood gaming and I can honestly say they're among my best loved games of the era. Fingers crossed.

frogx

So I came to this thread expecting it to be just someone buying a brand name much like the shambling corpse that was once Atari, but the involvement of Bill is hopefully a positive sign.

F-19 Stealth Fighter was amazing on the Atari ST, being both a reasonably good simulation by the standards of the time and also very accessible to 11 year old me. That, plus the Crammond games and Midwinter 2 took up a significant chunk of my childhood gaming and I can honestly say they're among my best loved games of the era. Fingers crossed.

Exactly, Wild Bill is a LEGEND of simulators !

Freak

WOW! Theres a a name i havent heard for a long time. Warbirds... I think that was my 1st online multiplayer experience and eneded up playing it for 10 years from from its release in '95.

egocrata

Banned
My god, Microprose was one of the few software houses you could buy any game on their catalog, sight unseen, knowing it would be good, or at least interesting. They had SO many great games.

This looks fantastic, by the way. Between Flight Simulator and this my PC gaming habits are going back straight to 1991.

Top Bottom