• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legacy of Kain: Dead Sun (updated with E3 2012 Square Enix Teaser and Pre-Boss Video)

FourMyle

Art style is very different from the old games and honestly looks way more generic. Combat system also looks like some AssCreed/Batman/whatever goop. I can see why the canceled this :s

I work with someone who worked on this project at one point and spoke to him briefly about it.

1) The game had been in development for almost 3 years when squeenix shut it down
2) The project lead had no interest in Legacy of Kain and was quoted as saying "Soul Reaver was garbage". My coworker went on to say that the guy had terrible ideas and what they had at the end was a mish mash of poorly put together half ideas.
3) It was hot trash and needed a bullet put in it.

So i wouldn't feel too bad :)

If this is true, someone should namedrop that guy and prevent him for doing any more harm to franchises people love and could sell very well, dammit.

Goron2000

best junior ever
Though I'm normally wary of juniors coming with so-called "insider" knowledge (no offense), I have to say, that seems very believable, and even unsurprising, considering this footage. Heh.
It's cool, I just want people to not be disappointed that this got canned. I'm not actually a junior :) I got the tag when I was a junior member and it didn't change when I became a member.

Merkunt

I'm being selfish here, but I'm indifferent to the fact that this was canceled, I'm actually glad that this didn't see the light of day. The excessive swearing, the Ass Creed ui layout, the execution / press Y for gore score filled crap-fest, the abysmal amount of UI prompts, the obnoxious camera work, the dot filled map repulse me and turn me off of this completely.
As someone already said, this looks like the DmC of Legacy of Kain..

Dammit if the teaser for E3 had actually come out maybe S-E would have at least tried to rework something or be more upfront about the state of the series, right now I have no hope for the series.

UrbanRats

Watched part of the video (got bored).

As a big Soul Reaver fan (i'd say SR1 is probably among my top20 games of all time), i can't say i'm sad this thing got canned.

The writing seems to be shit, and nothing like Soul Reaver, in terms of vibe ("fuck you vampire!") and the art style, too, it's pretty ugly and more mundane in comparison... it just doesn't seem to grasp that sense of gravitas that made that game special.

I think the naked tit lady, that they were mocking on GTtime, could work if worked on a bit, i think it's a potentially good idea, especially since it's not really a sexy thing (she's pretty rotten in the face and full of scars), but i could see it be a design element for like a priestess (like those prestesses that Turel was supposed to have) as opposed to a armored warrior (which makes it looks goofy and distracting).
As it is now though it looks just stupid attempt at edgyness, so i get the hate.

The clothing of the main guy and the ghost following him are really bad, too.

Nokterian

I work with someone who worked on this project at one point and spoke to him briefly about it.

1) The game had been in development for almost 3 years when squeenix shut it down
2) The project lead had no interest in Legacy of Kain and was quoted as saying "Soul Reaver was garbage". My coworker went on to say that the guy had terrible ideas and what they had at the end was a mish mash of poorly put together half ideas.

He said soul reaver was garbage?

vizsga2222.gif

Syril

I don't get it. If the project lead hated Soul Reaver so much why were there so many references to Soul Reaver specifically in it?

I don't get it. If the project lead hated Soul Reaver so much why were there so many references to Soul Reaver specifically in it?

The other members on the team? Like writers and artists and stuff?
Maybe the lead is the reason why the main character looks off, some of the mechanics make little sense and other features don't seem to fit the series.

I'm hoping to do a bigger update with more content and sources over the next few days, hopefully with some more details of the story if it all works out.

Regarding the comment regarding the "lead" apparently hating Soul Reaver. It doesn't make any sense to me - the videos I posted are full of allusions to Soul Reaver, both direct and subtle:

-"I am a Soul Reaver" and accompanying dialogue
-Burning smokestacks blocking out the sun.
-The water burning vampire death.
-Vampires with wings
-The spectral realm, complete with Sluagh-like creatures
-Activating a forge-like object
-A Soul-Reaver esque model sword
-References in the lore screenshots to the "wheel of life".

If a project lead really hated the original game, why on earth would any of the above be present? It's completely contradictory to the evidence.

I've noticed criticisms across the internet of the story and the game not looking enough like the previous games. My perspective:

Story and Script

I don't know the story (at least not yet), but from watching this video, neither do any of us. We've seen half an hour, with a brief flashback and a few dialogue scenes. We have very little information as to what would have happened after the point at which the video ends. The dialogue we have seen is from the lower classes of Nosgoth. In Blood Omen/Blood Omen 2, the lower classes did not speak with the sophistication of the main characters - the beautiful dialogue was almost always reserved for the more intelligent and educated protagonists/antagonists. Since we haven't met any of them in the video, I doubt that the vulgarities of the vampire hunters would have reflected all characters.

As I said, I'm hoping to have some new information regarding this at some point and post it.

Doesn't look like the previous games

The video was an alpha. People have been saying it looks nothing like the previous games. Blood Omen 1 didn't look like Blood Omen 2, which didn't look like Soul Reaver 1, which didn't look much like Defiance. There are similarities in character design throughout SR1/2/Defiance, but the environments are vastly varied with a range of influences. I don't see as much of a unifying art style across the games as others apparently do.

One thing to post that might be interesting though is this:

EnyZHOi.jpg

(Credit to Lord Aevum for the discovery)

This is a screenshot of a gothic structure from Legacy of Kain Dead Sun. Its from a portfolio website. It reminds me of the run down Sarafan Stronghold in SR2's demon future, and Vorador's Mansion in Defiance. Environmental allusions to previous games were probably going to be more apparent in later levels of Dead Sun. I'm hoping for more videos in the future, which hopefully might give us a clearer look at some interior structures.

I'm just speculating. I have no idea what would have been in the final game, and everyone is entitled to their opinion. I just disagree with some of those opinions.

ZenTzen

in my opinion, what this series really needs is a continuation to defiance or a complete remake, on the level of REmake, to Blood Omen 1 and Soul Reaver 1, with all its verbose theatrical writing, not this direction

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Sorry for bumping this old thread but my friend just told me about this game and I just watched the entire 32 minute video.

Holy shit!!!! Game looks great and would have been an instant purchase for me. FUCK SQUARE ENIX!!!! Seriously, they suck.

I'm so sad and depressed now. :(

Top Bottom