• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Leaked off-screen trailer of Elden Ring is legit - but no one has a link

SJRB

Gold Member
9vI1AyZ.jpeg

TheBoss1

Yeah see that's what I was getting to. What's taking me 15 tries, if it reduced to 5 tries, the game would be alot more fun for someone like me who doesn't like the repetition of walking through the entire level again collecting blood vials and encountering the boss for the 15th time.

Didn't necessarily ask for an easy, more like moderate. The challenge is good but not good enough to warrant me doing the same thing for 5 hours.

Now I understand that the Souls community takes that very seriously and that's what's most fun about these games, which is why the idea of difficulty levels is looked down upon. But it doesn't effect anyone else. It just increases the radius of the game to attract more players.

Why would I want to play Elden Ring if I don't like to be tortured/challenged?. Because honestly there aren't much good AAA games out there anymore. Besides the lore being written by GRR Martin along with Miyazaki sounds promising. Not to mention these games have one of the best art direction ever. Absolutely beautifully made worlds. And I like medieval fantasy action rpg. So everything aligns except the fact that I am not a sadomasochist (no disrespect intended to the fanbase).

Playing the game at moderate difficulty isn't the same as watching on YT. Atleast not for me.
Git gud

All jokes aside, the whole point of the Souls genre is the challenge. The journey is the reward. Everything else is secondary. If you're dying 15 times to each boss then you must have a hard time adjusting your playstyle. I promise you if you slow it down and think your strategy through the games become a lot easier than first thought. At the end of the day it's an AI your facing. There are always weaknesses with NPCs. And don't you dare look up how to beat certain areas or bosses.

15 tries is not much for a boss. It is not unheard for to be fighting bosses for hours, dozens of times, over and over. That is how I went through my first game, Dark Souls. The only way to git gud is practice. With enough practice, anyone can beat these games. Repetition is how you learn. But it is only available to anyone who wants to put in the effort. You simply have to commit yourself. Lashing out at "Souls community" is not going to get you anywhere closer to beating the boss. Neither is writing a paragraph explaining that you don't want to try.

Last edited:

Arachnid

15 tries is not much for a boss. It is not unheard for to be fighting bosses for hours, dozens of times, over and over. That is how I went through my first game, Dark Souls. The only way to git gud is practice. With enough practice, anyone can beat these games. Repetition is how you learn. But it is only available to anyone who wants to put in the effort. You simply have to commit yourself. Lashing out at "Souls community" is not going to get you anywhere closer to beating the boss. Neither is writing a paragraph explaining that you don't want to try.
Bloodborne was my first souls game and I was stuck on Vicar Amelia for months. My deaths to her probably approaches the triple digits. Still have Vietnam flashbacks from that shit

That said, no boss has given me that kind of trouble since throughout the entire series. It really is just learning how to play the games.

OnionSnake

Banned
Bloodborne was my first souls game and I was stuck on Vicar Amelia for months. My deaths to her probably approaches the triple digits. Still have Vietnam flashbacks from that shit

That said, no boss has given me that kind of trouble since throughout the entire series. It really is just learning how to play the games.
Is that the poison one? If so, same. She gave me the business for so long.

Arachnid

Is that the poison one? If so, same. She gave me the business for so long.
Nah, that one was the Blood Starved Beast (third boss). That boss wrecked me for a while. The only boss in the entire game I cooped to defeat, to my shame LOL. I can beat her solo easy these days, but she broke me the first time lol. I told myself I wouldn't coop to get past a boss in the series again after that which is why I was stuck on the Vicar (fourth boss) for months

OnionSnake

Banned
Nah, that one was the Blood Starved Beast (third boss). That boss wrecked me for a while. The only boss in the entire game I cooped to defeat, to my shame LOL. I can beat her solo easy these days, but she broke me the first time lol. I told myself I wouldn't coop to get past a boss in the series again after that which is why I was stuck on the Vicar (fourth boss) for months
Interesting, looked up a photo but I do not recall this enemy though I'm definitely past this boss. I got to "The One Reborn" but just got completely stuck. I even looked up guides online and they said it was so easy but I could not get past him :LOL:

Arachnid

Interesting, looked up a photo but I do not recall this enemy though I'm definitely past this boss. I got to "The One Reborn" but just got completely stuck. I even looked up guides online and they said it was so easy but I could not get past him :LOL:
Yeah, these games are like that lol. Different bosses are difficult for different people, so don't feel bad about being stuck on it. I've never died to The One Reborn, but the Living Failures (a joke boss in the DLC), wrecked me for a long time. I've died twice to Dark beast Paarl across all my playthroughs, but people consider her one of the hardest. Diffficulty is subjective, and it all depends on your playstyle/choices.

You'll get past it sooner than you think, just keep at it fam

OnionSnake

Banned
Yeah, these games are like that lol. Different bosses are difficult for different people, so don't feel bad about being stuck on it. I've never died to The One Reborn, but the Living Failures (a joke boss in the DLC), wrecked me for a long time. I've died twice to Dark beast Paarl across all my playthroughs, but people consider her one of the hardest. Diffficulty is subjective, and it all depends on your playstyle/choices.

You'll get past it sooner than you think, just keep at it fam
been quite a few years at this point :LOL: but if they do a PS5 update or PC release I wil definitely try again.

DavidGzz

The artstyle looks so amazing. I wish these games weren't meant to torture yourself to win them. I don't have time or patience to redo the same boss 1000 times before beating it.. but I want to enjoy these worlds so much.

Idk why they can't put a difficulty setting in there.

For you, it's torture, for me it's hardship and then triumph when I win. Nothing gives that feeling these days. The feeling Mike Tyson's punchout, Contra, TMNT, and Battletoads gave me as a kid. Add an easier mode and 80% of people will use it and never fall in love with the series. Hell, I'll admit it, even I would at times. Like in Demon's souls 4-2 area back in the day, I totally would have put it on easy, hell even before that at the red eye knight. Miyazaki doesn't want that. I remember when Itagaki finally gave in, he was disgusted and even called it Ninja Dog mode in Ninja Gaiden.

There are thousands upon thousands of games with easy modes, let us keep this one "pure" in the eyes of the fans.

zkorejo

It's not that I don't want to try. I just meant that it becomes tedious and repetitive. It's basically grind work.

I didn't give up on Bloodborne because it was hard, trust me. I knew that full well when going into it. The repetition got too much for me. I was just proposing, if you cut that grind work down to 50%, the experience would be far more enjoyable.

I don't whine about games either, you guys can check my post history. I do leave honest opinions though.

Honestly speaking, it's not so much that Bloodborne was hard, more like requires alot more time and patience and anyone willing enough can beat it. But it will be very repetitive and take alot of your time to get it done.

If I buy elden ring I will definitely look up for different character builds/play styles.

Last edited:

GymWolf

The funny thing about souls games is that people have wildly different opinions about the bosses...

For example amelia for me me was very easy, same for the bloodstarved bitch, but i had big problems with the very first boss and the fucking thunderous boned creature :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

TheGejsza

People who think that souls games are hardcore probably never tried stuff like super meat boy or doom\wolfenstein at the hardest difficulty, souls games are children stuff in comparison.
Nah Souls are demanding because they require your focus and attention. But there is no skill involved - Souls are mechanicly simple games with harsh rules - you just need to tak your time and focus and game becames piece of cake. On the other hand we have Nioh 2 - this game is WAY MORE skill based and your level and enemies knowledge is not enough to beat the game, you need skill and understand a lot of mechanics.

I would say Souls games are harsh and unforgiving but not hard. Sekiro on the other hand... is hard.

GymWolf

Nah Souls are demanding because they require your focus and attention. But there is no skill involved - Souls are mechanicly simple games with harsh rules - you just need to tak your time and focus and game becames piece of cake. On the other hand we have Nioh 2 - this game is WAY MORE skill based and your level and enemies knowledge is not enough to beat the game, you need skill and understand a lot of mechanics.

I would say Souls games are harsh and unforgiving but not hard. Sekiro on the other hand... is hard.
Yeah sekiro is a bit different but even for a guy who suck at parry in games like me, sekiro was far FAR more easy than an hard fps or a millimetric fast paced platform like the 2 titles i listed, i had to put wolfenstein at normal\hard to complete the game and abandoned the other one all together.

Never did that with any souls game.

Last edited:

TheGejsza

Yeah sekiro is a bit different but even for a guy who suck at parry in games like me, sekiro was far FAR more easy than an hard fps or a millimetric fast paced platform like the 2 titles i listed, i had to put wolfenstein at normal\hard to complete the game and abandoned the other one all together.

Never did that with any souls game.
I know, I don't think Souls games (beside Sekiro) are hard. SuperMeatBoy, Monster Hunter(G rank), Doom (higher difficulty) are way harder. And the ultimate truth - the hardest Souls game everybody ever played was their first Souls game. I got like 6 friends whom I sucked into Souls games and their experiance supports this.

Spaceman292

Banned
Yeah see that's what I was getting to. What's taking me 15 tries, if it reduced to 5 tries, the game would be alot more fun for someone like me who doesn't like the repetition of walking through the entire level again collecting blood vials and encountering the boss for the 15th time.

Didn't necessarily ask for an easy, more like moderate. The challenge is good but not good enough to warrant me doing the same thing for 5 hours.

Now I understand that the Souls community takes that very seriously and that's what's most fun about these games, which is why the idea of difficulty levels is looked down upon. But it doesn't effect anyone else. It just increases the radius of the game to attract more players.

Why would I want to play Elden Ring if I don't like to be tortured/challenged?. Because honestly there aren't much good AAA games out there anymore. Besides the lore being written by GRR Martin along with Miyazaki sounds promising. Not to mention these games have one of the best art direction ever. Absolutely beautifully made worlds. And I like medieval fantasy action rpg. So everything aligns except the fact that I am not a sadomasochist (no disrespect intended to the fanbase).

Playing the game at moderate difficulty isn't the same as watching on YT. Atleast not for me.
Not every game is made to appeal to the widest audience possible. That train of thought is why,as you said, there aren't many great AAA games. If you don't want to play it that's your problem, not the game's.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I like the part about events happening in the world regardless of where you’re at. That would possibly mean multiple playthroughs just to witness some type of even occurring. It sounds like a lot of good speculation and great guessing. Idk how we’d verify if all that info is legit or not.

DeaconOfTheDank

Gold Member
It's not that I don't want to try. I just meant that it becomes tedious and repetitive. It's basically grind work.

I didn't give up on Bloodborne because it was hard, trust me. I knew that full well when going into it. The repetition got too much for me. I was just proposing, if you cut that grind work down to 50%, the experience would be far more enjoyable.

I don't whine about games either, you guys can check my post history. I do leave honest opinions though.

Honestly speaking, it's not so much that Bloodborne was hard, more like requires alot more time and patience and anyone willing enough can beat it. But it will be very repetitive and take alot of your time to get it done.

If I buy elden ring I will definitely look up for different character builds/play styles.
I've noticed FromSoftware experimenting with checkpoint placement to mitigate some of the tedium of dying. In my experience, the enemies in Demon's Souls are by far the easiest, but the fact that checkpoints/archstones only exist at the beginning of the level and boss arenas made the game feel more tedious when dying (4-2 is the best example of this). Introducing shortcuts to make the trips from one checkpoint to another helps quite a bit though.

With Sekiro, I noticed that they started placing checkpoints/idols in much more regular intervals, almost as if to acknowledge that the game was a step up in enemy difficulty with respect to previous titles (they place an idols right before Lady Butterfly and Genichiro). With all this mind, it looks like FromSoftware is actively balancing difficulty and frustration without resorting to just making enemies easier and/or deal less damage.

Last edited:

Jokerevo

Banned
I played halfway through bloodborne so it's not like I sucked at it, it just became very repetitive for me to keep doing same thing every 15 mins or so. After trying multiple times ofcourse I will beat every boss.. one needs to have persistence and learn boss moves. I just don't understand why should I waste so much time and energy for every boss.

Im not against the game being difficult and requiring practice and precision to finally get that sweet win.

But an option for those who don't want to do the same thing over and over again wouldn't really hurt anyone.
Because if there is no risk there is no reward. Thanks to the souls games I can't play any game anymore if it is too easy. You think souls games are hard? Geez.

I mean there is an in-built difficulty and its called builds and equipment.

johntown

Banned
I love the souls games but not sure how I feel about mounted horse combat. I have never been a fan of it in any RPG. I only hope it is not required because I prefer to walk.....even if the world is huge.

Mato

All this talk made me cave and I finally got DS3. After finishing DS1 I felt too tired to start over with a new Souls. But first, I've decided to replay and finally finish SOTN. That game is so good, it's like Super Metroid on steroids.

mortal

Gold Member
I was thinking the same. That is a HUGE jump from previous From games. I have faith in FROM, but idk about all that making the cut
Is it though?

Sure the map sounds like it will be significantly larger and more seamless than in any previous FromSoftware title, although most of everything else sounds like deeper refinement of many of their mechanics and ideas up to this point.

Of course balancing all of that while considering the openess of the map and quality of the NPC/Enemy AI will bring their challenges, but I'm very confident Miyazaki and his team will pull this one off.

Although I am curious in seeing just how enjoyable and engaging the actual traversal of the map will be. Unfortunately that seems to be one of the key factors many of these developers seem to forget when hopping on the openworld bandwagon.

Last edited:

iorek21

The jump to a full open world game is interesting, but it'll have to be very well implemented to be really worth it.

I hope they make it believable and not a "everything wants to kill you" world like Far Cry or every other FromSoft game, that would get old very fast, IMO.

Arachnid

Is it though?

Sure the map sounds like it will be significantly larger and more seamless than in any previous FromSoftware title, although most of everything else sounds like deeper refinement of many of their mechanics and ideas up to this point.

Of course balancing all of that while considering the openess of the map and quality of the NPC/Enemy AI will bring their challenges, but I'm very confident Miyazaki and his team will pull this one off.

Although I am curious in seeing just how enjoyable and engaging the actual traversal of the map will be. Unfortunately that seems to be one of the key factors many of these developers seem to forget when hopping on the openworld bandwagon.
Horseback combat, dynamic weather, night/day cycles (complete with individual pathing/scheduling for characters), dynamic wildlife, and the deeper AI to go with the more open world are all HUGE additions IMO. I can't think think of many games with all that, nevermind Soulslikes. That goes into Red Dead 2 Rockstar territory (though obviously on a smaller scale).

Not that I don't think FROM could pull it off. It just sounds suspiciously like all the features CDPR promised in Cyberpunk. At the time, I just blindly assumed they could pull it off because they made one of my personal games of the gen. FROM made my dead top spot for GOTG (Bloodborne), but this is unlike anything they've ever done before. The scale of it as described in that reddit leak is insane.

Also, agreed on traversal. Running between zones in Dark Souls 1 got annoying. I can't imagine a full out open world. I'm sure they'd eventually unlock some kind of fast travel, but then I'm nervous that would take away from the exploration in these games. We'll see how they handle it.

Last edited:

Neff

That is a HUGE jump from previous From games. I have faith in FROM, but idk about all that making the cut
FromSoftware certainly have the talent and the motivation, and Namco will have no problem giving a big budget to the guys who gave them Dark Souls, especially when they can market it with the GoT guy.

Belmonte

FromSoftware certainly have the talent and the motivation, and Namco will have no problem giving a big budget to the guys who gave them Dark Souls, especially when they can market it with the GoT guy.

Agreed.

And aside from the high budget, which I'm also sure Namco gave them, and the studio portfolio and expertise, From Software usually sharpen the gameplay instead of reinventing the wheel each game. I magine this frees time and money from the development since the main mechanics already are in the place and working very well.

They aren't switching to FPS like CD Projekt Red did after The Witcher 3.

tassletine

For you, it's torture, for me it's hardship and then triumph when I win. Nothing gives that feeling these days. The feeling Mike Tyson's punchout, Contra, TMNT, and Battletoads gave me as a kid. Add an easier mode and 80% of people will use it and never fall in love with the series. Hell, I'll admit it, even I would at times. Like in Demon's souls 4-2 area back in the day, I totally would have put it on easy, hell even before that at the red eye knight. Miyazaki doesn't want that. I remember when Itagaki finally gave in, he was disgusted and even called it Ninja Dog mode in Ninja Gaiden.

There are thousands upon thousands of games with easy modes, let us keep this one "pure" in the eyes of the fans.
Most of the time it works, but in Sekiro some of the bosses are basically transformed into a rhythm game and I don't enjoy that.

Any time the games do that --Basically asking you to follow the programmers animations by rote -- I start to resent it as cheap and -- The satisfaction from learning rules is about the same as I get from passing a driving test. It's cold and doesn't feel organic. Thank god that's over sort of feeling. Not triumph but relief.

I’ll do the same with this as I do for every souls game:

Use full guide.

Summon at every boss encounter.

Use rings that boost stats for easy mode.

Upgrade best bow to spam enemies from a distance.

Exploit cheese tactics - bad AI to level up.

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
Leaked trailer thread was locked, so pasting this one here.

blows my mind how this guy gets quoted everywhere by hinting he knows something about something and something about to happen, drops some vague time frames that can sometimes be correct just by coincidence and that becomes the news. "ER will be shown sometime during next 3 months", really?

nkarafo

But an option for those who don't want to do the same thing over and over again wouldn't really hurt anyone.
Not this again...

It would hurt the developers because they would have to spend more time and money to re-balance everything in order to make something that isn't their vision at all.

The whole point of these games is how intimidating they feel. And the rewarding feeling of going a bit further every time. This creates a lot of tension and even makes the games kind of scary.

DavidGzz

Most of the time it works, but in Sekiro some of the bosses are basically transformed into a rhythm game and I don't enjoy that.

Any time the games do that --Basically asking you to follow the programmers animations by rote -- I start to resent it as cheap and -- The satisfaction from learning rules is about the same as I get from passing a driving test. It's cold and doesn't feel organic. Thank god that's over sort of feeling. Not triumph but relief.

I think Sekiro is different. It's more an action game like Ninja Gaiden. It may be similar to Souls, but requires more actiony reflexes that can cause more frustration IMO. It's the only modern From Software game I haven't completed.

DelireMan7

It's really not, it's how I enjoy the games. My favourite titles are always FROM (Souls) titles but thats how I play them!
Ok. That really sounded like someone who wants to trigger the fanboys xD

The only things that disturb me is the "cheese AI" stuff. It's something I can't stand.

After everyone find their fun the way they want ^^

My "ritual" for SoulsBorne game on my first run is :
  • Blind (checking nothing on the web)
  • No summon (and usually I avoid being summoned to much and usually after I fully explore the area)
  • Playstyle is highly dependent on my build and the "Role play" I give to it (If I play an archer, I will definitely use bows a lot etc...). But I stick to this style for the whole run even if it's not at my advantage in some situation
On subsequent runs, I use fully the summoning features and start to check more and more information on the web.

The sense of discovery/mystery these games have on the first run is priceless to me.

Top Bottom