• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Leaked off-screen trailer of Elden Ring is legit - but no one has a link

GymWolf

If Bluepoint can make DeS look gorgeous then there should be no excuses for From to at least match that. Still though, I'll reserve judgement until we an official trailer release.
Demons is the smaller souls game and this one is open world, also bluepoint are graphic wizards, expecting the same graphic is like expecting to have good combat in a assassins creed game.

Also demons was made for ps5 and pc only, elden has to run on an ancient xone.

Last edited:

TheBoss1

Demons is the smaller souls game and this one is open world, also bluepoint are graphic wizards, expecting the same graphic is like expecting to have good combat in a assassins creed game.
Honestly I'm not even going based off this footage but based on their previous work, but I get it. They can't get everything right so if it means regressing in other areas then they should keep making games how they know best. They are an excellent studio after all.

GymWolf

Honestly I'm not even going based off this footage but based on their previous work, but I get it. They can't get everything right so if it means regressing in other areas then they should keep making games how they know best. They are an excellent studio after all.
Yeah, they probably put graphics in the lower end of their priorities when they make games.

Let's hope they can get at least a stable framerate on the weaker consoles, they always have problem with that.

Last edited:
Noone concerned that this could turn out like Arkham Knight?

You know bolting on "vehicular" transport onto a franchise that is mostly about melee combat is a tricky thing. The new stuff doesn't need to be bad to hurt the experience, its how much it gets in the way of doing the stuff you want to be doing.
Eh. It's a horse.

The problem with the Batmobile was that they spent a lot of money to get it right and at some point someone said, "you mofos better be utilizing this to its absolute limit" to justify this.

The Batmobile on its own was awesome.

The multitude of moments both in story and side missions where you're forced to use it, aren't.

Im hyped for this game but one thing disappointed me is the confirmation that there is no cities or npc, so its basically a game where you fight monsters and explore dead areas. When they said its going to be open world rpg, i thought it will have big city and villages and npcs to interact with and take quests and change the world..etc..etc. I also thought it will feature gameplay aspects other than just combat/fighting. But whatever im still hyped.
Shit I saw the video and was hoping for some zelda elements too. That's a bummer

Barrico82

Banned
The game went through most of its development while next gen consoles had not even been announced, and "making it next gen" in the sense that it has to take full advantage of the new hardware is not like flipping a switch.

Also, as of now both PS5 and XSX have a much smaller install base than PS4 and XOne, and in a lot of countries it's still very hard (if not impossible) to buy one. So, if you release it on next-gen only let's say by the end of 2021, you're missing out on a huge number of potential sales.

I agree with the logic, but I can't believe an esteemed developer such as "Fromsoftware" didn't know or get a hold of what will be the specs and the release date of the new consoles.

And I don't think that they will not be incentivised by one of the 2 Microsoft or Sony to be compensated with the losses of old gen sales.

Finally From software have a dedicated fans that will jump to the new generation for their games.

What they have position themselves now is like what CD project did to themselves with Cyberpunk and I am sure the backlash will be negative if not very negative because of this decision of releasing the game on the old gen

What they have position themselves now is like what CD project did to themselves with Cyberpunk and I am sure the backlash will be negative if not very negative because of this decision of releasing the game on the old gen
This is a total misunderstanding of the dynamics at play. CD Projekt didn't get in trouble for releasing last-gen versions of Cyberpunk, they got in trouble for releasing last-gen versions that were borderline unplayable. The reason they were borderline unplayable is that Cyberpunk targeted high-end PCs and as a result is simply too graphically ambitious a game to perform well on last-gen consoles.

This is not the case for Elden Ring, which is clearly targeting last-gen hardware. From won't face any backlash because Souls fans do not care about graphics.

shocked jurassic park GIF

As a newborn From fan I can't fucking wait for this game!
Demon's Souls Remake and Dark Souls Remastered are now under my belt. Next will be DS3.

Keihart

Yeah, they probably put graphics in the lower end of their priorities when they make games.

Let's hope they can get af least a stable framerate on the weaker consoles, they always have problem with that.
Looking at how they target 30fps i wouldn't say that graphics are in the lower category of priorities, probably performance it's there thus the usually slow paced gameplay.

Fuuuuck, you're lucky. Dark Souls 3 and Bloodborne are my personal favorites, and you haven't experienced either yet.

There are rumors of a Bloodborne rerelease btw, so hold off on getting it to play it BC if you can
Yeah I played Bloodborne about halfway through in 2019, but I just got frustrated and quit playing.

I decided to buy Demon's Souls Remake for my first PS5 game because it just looked so incredible and I even thought that I wouldn't finish it because for the same reason that happened with BB. Hell no! I got hooked and immediately started playing it on new game + and bought Dark Souls Remastered after finishing Demon's.

I'm really eagerly waiting for a 60 fps update for BB before I play it again. I just wish it comes no later than when I'm through playing Sekiro 😄

And yes! I'm very lucky and fortunate for discovering these fantastic games now that (most) of them run at 60 fps on consoles.

Lux R7

Is this a souls like game? Ifso I'll pass, I can't stand them, also why is everyone so excited about a new franchise we barely know anything about?

this is a Fromsoft game directed by the creator of the very concept of "Souls" and a spiritual successor of Dark Souls, so yeah pretty souls like

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
wtf is twich TOS bullshit ?!
WTF.

I am watching happy hob and people informed him about the leaked trailer. Every post of link in the chat is autodeleted and apparently if he would watch it, he would be banned (he didnt watch it).
What fucking gives?! He did not sign any nda, he did not leak it... and it's just on youtube. he could just stumble upon it unknowingly and be banned ?!
It was the same with GTA V ps4/one rerelease... People were playing it day early and had their twitch account banned. For streaming legally bought game that is a rerelease... day early. fuck this

Arachnid

I meant this whole you crossed the sea of fog to find the elden ring etc. Sounds exactly like Demon Souls with crossing the fog to enter Boletaria and look for souls.
GRRM just did the lore/worldbuilding to the universe (think all the tomfoolery Pontiff got up to in the third game and how most of it is his fault). The dialogue/writing along the whole journey is still From, which is why that part sounds like them. It is them

Also, it doesn't help that the dude reading out those lines is the voice actor for Patches whom we're all familiar with by this point.

Last edited:
Eh. It's a horse.

The problem with the Batmobile was that they spent a lot of money to get it right and at some point someone said, "you mofos better be utilizing this to
Because it's a Sony Exclusive. Funny how these clowns also think Dark Souls is not as good as Bloodborne. LOL.
So what if it's a Sony exclusive? That doesn't make it s good game. But oh well, we have xbox fanboys praising halo infinite.

zkorejo

The artstyle looks so amazing. I wish these games weren't meant to torture yourself to win them. I don't have time or patience to redo the same boss 1000 times before beating it.. but I want to enjoy these worlds so much.

Idk why they can't put a difficulty setting in there.

zkorejo

I played halfway through bloodborne so it's not like I sucked at it, it just became very repetitive for me to keep doing same thing every 15 mins or so. After trying multiple times ofcourse I will beat every boss.. one needs to have persistence and learn boss moves. I just don't understand why should I waste so much time and energy for every boss.

Im not against the game being difficult and requiring practice and precision to finally get that sweet win.

But an option for those who don't want to do the same thing over and over again wouldn't really hurt anyone.

zombrex

Looks like a souls game, looks like the same engine too, some of those sound effects are straight from Dark Souls. Still hyped.

Life

I played halfway through bloodborne so it's not like I sucked at it, it just became very repetitive for me to keep doing same thing every 15 mins or so. After trying multiple times ofcourse I will beat every boss.. one needs to have persistence and learn boss moves. I just don't understand why should I waste so much time and energy for every boss.

Im not against the game being difficult and requiring practice and precision to finally get that sweet win.

But an option for those who don't want to do the same thing over and over again wouldn't really hurt anyone.

What may take you 15 times to learn the patterns and beat a boss, may take someone only 5 tries. There's a thrill each time you challenge yourself. An easy mode=no thrill=easy bosses=no challenge=no point playing the game. May as well watch a youtube playthrough.

It's also very rewarding when you beat a boss the first time you encounter it, without ever learning its patterns.

Last edited:

zkorejo

What may take you 15 times to learn the patterns and beat a boss, may take someone only 5 tries. There's a thrill each time you challenge yourself. An easy mode=no thrill=easy bosses=no challenge=no point playing the game. May as well watch a youtube playthrough.

It's also very rewarding when you beat a boss the first time you encounter it, without ever learning its patterns.
Yeah see that's what I was getting to. What's taking me 15 tries, if it reduced to 5 tries, the game would be alot more fun for someone like me who doesn't like the repetition of walking through the entire level again collecting blood vials and encountering the boss for the 15th time.

Didn't necessarily ask for an easy, more like moderate. The challenge is good but not good enough to warrant me doing the same thing for 5 hours.

Now I understand that the Souls community takes that very seriously and that's what's most fun about these games, which is why the idea of difficulty levels is looked down upon. But it doesn't effect anyone else. It just increases the radius of the game to attract more players.

Why would I want to play Elden Ring if I don't like to be tortured/challenged?. Because honestly there aren't much good AAA games out there anymore. Besides the lore being written by GRR Martin along with Miyazaki sounds promising. Not to mention these games have one of the best art direction ever. Absolutely beautifully made worlds. And I like medieval fantasy action rpg. So everything aligns except the fact that I am not a sadomasochist (no disrespect intended to the fanbase).

Playing the game at moderate difficulty isn't the same as watching on YT. Atleast not for me.

Last edited:

DeaconOfTheDank

Gold Member
I meant this whole you crossed the sea of fog to find the elden ring etc. Sounds exactly like Demon Souls with crossing the fog to enter Boletaria and look for souls.
I would imagine that FromSoftware is introducing their own spin on top of GRRM's lore - Miyazaki is writing the story on top of Martin's established mythology. Miyazaki tends to include nods/easter eggs alluding to previous games in FromSoftware's past. In a way, they serve to have the player speculate about how the game (Elden Ring) is connected to previous games, even if they aren't actually connected at all (like how Bloodborne had many references to Demon's Souls). That's part of the beauty of these games; they throw all this cryptic information + symbolism at the player so that you ultimately come up with your own interpretation of the story. It almost feels like you're an adventurer-archeologist hybrid uncovering the secrets of the world. This is one of the key things that makes the Soulsborne community what it is. Everyone comes together to share their findings and ultimately speculate on how everything fits together. It speaks of old-school gaming before the time of the internet.

Here's a cool thought experiment that Vaatividya did a while back:

Last edited:
Now I understand that the Souls community takes that very seriously
So everything aligns except the fact that I am not a sadomasochist (no disrespect intended to the fanbase
Honestly the worst thing about being a Souls fan is people endlessly bitching about how hard the games are. Then they insult the people who enjoy the games. Then they call Souls fans "too serious". You can't have it both ways.

This always happens. Somebody tries the games, they don't try hard enough to succeed, then they come into a thread and rant and insult people. Then the minute someone says something back, it'll be "Souls fans are so toxic!".

It's really annoying and tiring. I mean this game isn't even out. The release date isn't even announced. And someone is here already bitching about how hard the games are. The game isn't even out yet!

Surely you can see how this would be annoying to people who enjoy these games? It's like this with every single game they release.

It's not interesting to read how you suck as these games. I'm sorry. If that makes me a "toxic Souls fan" then so be it.

Last edited:

zkorejo

Honestly the worst thing about being a Souls fan is people endlessly bitching about how hard the games are. Then they insult the people who enjoy the games. Then they call Souls fans "too serious". You can't have it both ways.

This always happens. Somebody tries the games, they don't try hard enough to succeed, then they come into a thread and rant and insult people. Then the minute someone says something back, it'll be "Souls fans are so toxic!".

It's really annoying and tiring. I mean this game isn't even out. The release date isn't even announced. And someone is here already bitching about how hard the games are. The game isn't even out yet!

Surely you can see how this would be annoying to people who enjoy these games? It's like this with every single game they release.

It's not interesting to read how you suck as these games. I'm sorry. If that makes me a "toxic Souls fan" then so be it.
I wasn't insulting or whining about the game at all? I don't know why you read it that way. My point has just simply been that adding in the difficulty setting doesn't not ruin your fun (your as in the existing fanbase that enjoys the grind, not singling you out).

I'm not asking for the game to be dumbed down at all. Just adding a difficulty setting for everyone else who isn't into that level of the challenge.

Last edited:
I wasn't insulting or whining about the game at all? I don't why you read it that way. My point has just simply been that adding in the difficulty setting doesn't not ruin your fun (your as in the existing fanbase that enjoys the grind, not singling you out).

I'm not asking for the game to be dumbed down at all. Just adding a difficulty setting for everyone else who isn't into that level of the challenge.
These games already have difficulty settings, it's just that you don't pick them from a menu. Magic has the potential to trivialize almost any encounter in the series, and the same goes for summoning help.

Bartski

Gold Member
Why would I want to play Elden Ring if I don't like to be tortured/challenged?. Because honestly there aren't much good AAA games out there anymore. Besides the lore being written by GRR Martin along with Miyazaki sounds promising. Not to mention these games have one of the best art direction ever. Absolutely beautifully made worlds. And I like medieval fantasy action rpg. So everything aligns except the fact that I am not a sadomasochist (no disrespect intended to the fanbase).
That's a reasonable thing to say, something I'd probably agree with before I discovered and started playing those games a lot.
They do look nice etc, but it really is all about a sense of victory overcoming what, at first, feels like borderline impossible odds. By practice and perseverance, about getting your ass kicked and repetition, I understand it's not for everyone but it's core to the design and I hope this will never change.
What might change tho is core game mechanics could be made less cryptic, that didn't hurt much in Sekiro and I wouldn't mind seeing an equivalent of Habei the Undying training ground here.
Combat is as much about learning enemy move set cadence and reflex in reacting to it, positioning etc. but also about but discovering ways of making it easier for yourself. Not by mechanic or geometry exploiting cheese tactics but finding better attack reaction strats or items or weaknesses of bosses, or all of the above combined. Failing and learning.
Also, PvE summoning is confirmed so there is no way for hitting a wall for someone who needs help.

Last edited:

GymWolf

People who think that souls games are hardcore probably never tried stuff like super meat boy or doom\wolfenstein at the hardest difficulty, souls games are children stuff in comparison.

cireza

Banned
The problem with the Batmobile was that they spent a lot of money to get it right and at some point someone said, "you mofos better be utilizing this to its absolute limit" to justify this.
Too bad, I think the Batmobile would have added a nice touch to Elden Ring.

Top Bottom