• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lead Writer Sam Maggs confirms that Rivet is canonically a lesbian

Status
Not open for further replies.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Banned at the other site for quoting their tweets. Was said to be trolling.
party GIF

This is not a rhetorical question, but do people really try to find some kind of connection with fictional humanoid species in video games to the point that the characters' sexual preferences actually matter to them?

The last thing I would ever think about while playing Ratchet and Clank is who these characters want to get intimate with.

Lol this lady. Is type annoying.

Im pro trans, sjw, whatever triggers you kids.

but this lady just upset she got fired and Sony isn’t gonna hire her anymore. You aint my homie DRUNK MAN lady.

TransTrender

Gold Member

I wouldn't be surprised if they're too young to get that reference.

Also I clicked on that Sol Brennan Twitter profile and I regret everything.

These people are [pejorative]. HR departments must be goddamn gynamist with the shit they have to deal with to justify their employment in the face of certain bad PR and cancelling for rightfully firing them. They're unemployable otherwise.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I was looking for a summary of what happened since there was a lot of shit going around, found a Reddit topic which then lead me to this Twitter thread.

I like how it's the 'they/them' with the trans flag background color profile pic that comes off like a mean nasty SOB.

They hide under the banner the way Christians used God’s will / name to justify their cleansings/atrocities. Maybe some people will see them for what they do.

I was looking for a summary of what happened since there was a lot of shit going around, found a Reddit topic which then lead me to this Twitter thread.

I like how it's the 'they/them' with the trans flag background color profile pic that comes off like a mean nasty SOB.

This the guy who wanted to kill himself because of how Insomniac treats women.

PhaseJump

Banned
This is not a rhetorical question, but do people really try to find some kind of connection with fictional humanoid species in video games to the point that the characters' sexual preferences actually matter to them?

The last thing I would ever think about while playing Ratchet and Clank is who these characters want to get intimate with.

I think this is all just the mental illness of perverts that want to sexualize everything getting openly kicked around. They are out there testing the limits in the work place or on social media, trying to "find acceptance" for their own fucked-in-the-head lifestyle without any shame, weird shit that might have driven them down a path in life toward being reclusive "artists", depressed wannabe "writers" with nothing to say that anybody would pay money for.

Kdad

SOB is a gender specific phrase and will not be tolerated.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I wouldn't be surprised if they're too young to get that reference.

Also I clicked on that Sol Brennan Twitter profile and I regret everything.

These people are [pejorative]. HR departments must be goddamn gynamist with the shit they have to deal with to justify their employment in the face of certain bad PR and cancelling for rightfully firing them. They're unemployable otherwise.

There are 3 rules to modern American life that I recommend everyone follow to ensure sanity:
1.) Get off Social Media and ignore 99% of Main Stream Media. What is the 1%? Anything that directly involves your career and family life.
2.) Anyone with colored hair should be treated as if they are lepers. Avoid them when possible.
3.) Study and maintain college level backgrounds in general sciences and mathematics. Makes it harder to fall for false information or these crazy cunts trying to deny biology.

This man is absolutely, 100%, a predator. I would not be surprised if he has a few people stuck in his basement.

GymWolf

There are 3 rules to modern American life that I recommend everyone follow to ensure sanity:
1.) Get off Social Media and ignore 99% of Main Stream Media. What is the 1%? Anything that directly involves your career and family life.
2.) Anyone with colored hair should be treated as if they are lepers. Avoid them when possible.
3.) Study and maintain college level backgrounds in general sciences and mathematics. Makes it harder to fall for false information or these crazy cunts trying to deny biology.

This man is absolutely, 100%, a predator. I would not be surprised if he has a few people stuck in his basement.
Why specifically a predator if i may ask? Is he a reeeee mod?

rofif

Banned
You can all shit on tlou2 or death stranding as much as you want but at least these games took great risks with plot and characters.
Ratchet 2016 and 2021 represent what comes to gaming... the wasteland of creativity with 0 edge.
TBH, I liked last year ratchet quite a lot but characters were terrible and story was whatever.
Also, there are better story examples like Soma or The forgotten City so it is not all lost. These games don't care to force wokeness. These games force on story and game itself

Last edited:

See the problem with their tweets is they give examples of predators and then they show that said predators were fired or quit. So it seems like they were in fact dealt with, though maybe not as expediently as they would have liked. These matters are pretty complex and investigations sometimes take time, we don't know the details of said investigation, but even they claim to have tolerated this behavior for some time. Organizations can't read peoples' minds. They need people to come forward and bring their stories forward.

As for being throttled, no evidence of being throttled was offered at all... They even say the people who were promoted deserved to be promoted because they were amazing employees. This type of accusation really should come along with some facts to back it up just as they offered the facts about their experience with the other employee.

The bit about contemplating suicide seems like a manipulation. It's simply to add more shade to Insomniac, whether it is true or otherwise. And I think more to the emotional and mental state of them rather than the company. If I'm not get promoted at a company or feel I'm not being treated properly, do you know what I do? I quit, I don't kill myself. Jesus, it's just a job.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
Yes, because trans people are obsessed with their sexuality. Kinda like the Catholic Church - unmarried men obsessed with sex and female bodies. Same kind of delusion .

Yes, because trans people are obsessed with their sexuality. Kinda like the Catholic Church - unmarried men obsessed with sex and female bodies. Same kind of delusion .
I mean let's be fair for a second and recognize that part of that comes with the desire for representation and inclusion.

I think the problem is when you push for over-representation to the point of distraction.

I am far more interested in subtle and well-considered inclusion than overt in your face presentation. I think the latter does people a great disservice.

Look at the Wire. Omar was gay. The fact that Omar was gay was a major part of his story, but it was done in a way that didn't distract or take away from the rest of his story or the story at large.

I think the way that LOU:LB and LOU2 present Ellie's sexuality was also appropriate.

In fact, the Wire had two main characters who were LGBT and both were done extremely well, at least in my opinion.

It comes down to strong writing and creating a strong character as opposed to coming in with an agenda. And unfortunately many of these writers are more focused on their agenda than quality writing that would advance that agenda far better.

SSfox

Western gaming was a mistake.
A lot of western games of today stinks, but i wouldnt go this far. RDR1 and RDR2 are some the best games ever made, there are a lot of amazing western games, GOW trilogy by Epic also, Mass Effect Trilogy, Mortal Kombat, and lot more.

But nowadays most western games sucks hardcore, not surpring tho when those devs think much more about the sexuality of the character than the gameplay experience.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
I mean let's be fair for a second and recognize that part of that comes with the desire for representation and inclusion.
But here's a thing: I am a cis man and unless I missed something 99% of content targeted at me glances over the sexuality part. The other 1% is when a man kisses a woman in the movie or has sex with her. But then this part is justified since vast, vast, VAST majority of men are heterosexual.

CosmicComet

90% sure just to spite this dumb hoe next ratchet game Insomniac is going to make Rivet have a relationship with Ratchet
No they won't.

They will cave to her mental illness and make her head-canon rants actual canon.

Western devs are full of cowards.

• Empathy
Reactions: Fuz

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I played through the whole game and really loved it. And at no point did I ever wonder if Rivet liked cock or vag. Why would I want to know that?
Typical liberal video game employee who cant tell the difference between personal politics and being at work. Zero filter. And nothing says gaming employee than "Hey gamers, I was at a closed door meeting and here's some juicy info...." Name one other industry where people do this.

And they wonder why people can treat them like shit at work.

Last edited:
But here's a thing: I am a cis man and unless I missed something 99% of content targeted at me glances over the sexuality part. The other 1% is when a man kisses a woman in the movie or has sex with her. But then this part is justified since vast, vast, VAST majority of men are heterosexual.

I mean I'm not trying to wax philosophic here, but I think those of us with privilege to see ourselves represented in media sufficiently or in some cases more than sufficiently have such a wide array of examples to draw on that anything that verges on the extreme might by ruled as an outlier. Not much time is spent analyzing whether something was forced or not, or bad writing or not, nor is it painted with a broad brush against all other similar content.

I think we're also seeing something similar to a rise in people declaring that they are LGBTQIA along the lines of the rise we saw in people who declare themselves left handed, not because suddenly more people are LGBTQIA or left handed, but because the stigma around being so is no longer as large as it once was.

So, we don't really know true percentages, because many people are still closeted and will remain so until there is enough representation to the point that people can feel comfortable being themselves.

That is why representation matters I just don't think Sam Maggs and her like are doing anyone any favors with quality representation. I think Sam Maggs is an angry person who has convinced herself the best way to approach the world is to go to war with it. I think her friends Xavier and Sol are the same. I think their friendship is based on that worldview and I think it is dangerous and unproductive.

If you look at Sony's characters, I think they are purposefully trying to be more diverse. Which isn't an inherently bad thing, it just needs to be done well.

Jin Kazai can't be a black woman in the narrative of Ghost of Tsushima, but there is no reason why Ellie can't be lesbian. Joel was a cis gender white male and I think part of the backlash against Naughty Dog was that they saw Joel being killed off as an attack on white cis males. I think the game had its problems, but I don't know that was one of them. They also had an issue with what they saw as the replacement for Joel being Abby, who many thought initially was trans because of her physique.

Basically I think everyone needs to take a chill pill... and I wasn't going to wax philosophic...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom