• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lead Writer Sam Maggs confirms that Rivet is canonically a lesbian

Status
Not open for further replies.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I mean I'm not trying to wax philosophic here, but I think those of us with privilege to see ourselves represented in media sufficiently or in some cases more than sufficiently have such a wide array of examples to draw on that anything that verges on the extreme might by ruled as an outlier. Not much time is spent analyzing whether something was forced or not, or bad writing or not, nor is it painted with a broad brush against all other similar content.

I think we're also seeing something similar to a rise in people declaring that they are LGBTQIA along the lines of the rise we saw in people who declare themselves left handed, not because suddenly more people are LGBTQIA or left handed, but because the stigma around being so is no longer as large as it once was.

So, we don't really know true percentages, because many people are still closeted and will remain so until there is enough representation to the point that people can feel comfortable being themselves.

That is why representation matters I just don't think Sam Maggs and her like are doing anyone any favors with quality representation. I think Sam Maggs is an angry person who has convinced herself the best way to approach the world is to go to war with it. I think her friends Xavier and Sol are the same. I think their friendship is based on that worldview and I think it is dangerous and unproductive.

If you look at Sony's characters, I think they are purposefully trying to be more diverse. Which isn't an inherently bad thing, it just needs to be done well.

Jin Kazai can't be a black woman in the narrative of Ghost of Tsushima, but there is no reason why Ellie can't be lesbian. Joel was a cis gender white male and I think part of the backlash against Naughty Dog was that they saw Joel being killed off as an attack on white cis males. I think the game had its problems, but I don't know that was one of them. They also had an issue with what they saw as the replacement for Joel being Abby, who many thought initially was trans because of her physique.

Basically I think everyone needs to take a chill pill... and I wasn't going to wax philosophic...
The biggest issue with media is that the whole sexuality/gender thing is jammed in for little reason. That's why everyone notices it right away sticking out like a sore thumb.

Now let's say there was a company or government office running special services catering to the LBQGT group, nobody would care because it makes sense as they are working directly with people involving sexuality/gender.

The majority of games don't even have a real plot to begin with. And if it does, it's paper thin like fighting game cut scenes or kill Diablo. A good portion of games dont even have a plot at all (sports, puzzlers, racing games). The only games that have enough plot to flesh out characters are SP narratives and RPGs. Games with lots of plot, dialogue, quests, character creation, etc....

But unless it's a game that involves hooking up with another character, there's probably going to be no need for knowing Sir Larry is gay or Sorceress Sally is bi. The game doesn't say Larry or Sally are straight either. Most games will have characters with no known sexuality. So really gamers can think what they want. But the loud LBGTQ community doesn't want that. They want it specifically pointed out that character A or B are one of the acronyms..... even though the last thing they want is always the dreaded "I don't like when people isolate us. We look and dress like everyone else. You cant even tell most of the time". Well, if that's the case, why point it out or make special sexuality plots when the game's focus is starting as a level 1 scrub and killing a boss 20 hours later?

And if a game does do that by writing a story about sexuality and gender, gamers are like WTF? Who gives a shit. If I play Skyrim (a game with tons of text and NPCs gabbing) why do I need to know if my Argonian is straight or gay? Beats me, but some people want to know.

jigglet

Banned
surprised-black.gif

Tackling the real topics.

The_hunter

Literally everything Sam Maggs touches turns to shit. I can safely say that the Knights of the Old Republic remake is also going to have the same fate.
She quit the kotor remake, thankfully.

Back in January, MrMattyPlays noted, “Her contract has expired. She’s move on to work at Wizards of the Coast to be a Narrative Lead.”

He added, “Her role was very minor compared to others that work there.”

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Of course WOTC would hire that hack.
As crazy as it seems, I'd blame companies for hiring her. It's not like she hides her political agenda so they get tricked into hiring her thinking she'll write non-political content.

Companies willingly want her so they can infuse political content into their game as it's obvious she is going to skew to that kind of content. I'm sure she can figure out a way to make Tetris all about sexuality and gender preferences. So if a company making another Tetris game wants to hire her for a make-believe background story or wrote some bullet points on the plastic case, you can only blame the company as everyone knows what kind angle her writing is.

I can’t imagine she was on a 9 month writing contract.

She said she left the project, not her contract expired. If that was the case she would have claimed she finished her job as contracted and claimed credit. That’s just not the case.

CGiRanger

Banned
Of course WOTC would hire that hack.
Is there a reason why these people, in addition to videogames, are now very driven to working for D&D and Magic the Gathering? I swear I've seen a ton of these woke hires move from videogames to card/role-playing games now

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Is there a reason why these people, in addition to videogames, are now very driven to working for D&D and Magic the Gathering? I swear I've seen a ton of these woke hires move from videogames to card/role-playing games now
I'm going to take a guess and say woke people only have so many industries they can work at who have open arms for politics. It seems anything media related is the most open of all. So they can rotate among media, games and anything which can be influenced with politics and story (which is media heavy).

Someone like her wont thrive in places like a utility company, construction company or even something as niche as being the lone dude working in a currency exchange booth at a shopping mall. Personally driven politics and wandering minds would get nowhere in places like that. The vast majority of companies don't like political people ruining the culture.

Last edited:

CGiRanger

Banned
I'm going to take a guess and say woke people only have so many industries they can work at who have open arms for politics. It seems anything media related is the most open of all. So they can rotate among media, games and anything which can be influenced with politics and story (which is media heavy).

Someone like her wont thrive in places like a utility company, construction company or even something as niche as being the lone dude working in a currency exchange booth at a shopping mall. Personally driven politics and wandering minds would get nowhere in places like that. The vast majority of companies don't like political people ruining the culture.
I guess a while back I'd never have thought the consumer-base or market for Dungeons and Dragons or Magic the Gathering were super duper woke.

Perhaps that's changed in the past decade I suppose. I know I've heard about the group called "Critical Role" and apparently they are nothing but woke and have helped to attract this kind of audience.

All joking aside, can you imagine what it’s like to work with these people?

You’ve got these incredible programmers, designers and artists and then some absolute throbbing bellend like this broad turns up and thinks her cretinous vision of what a furry rabbit wants to fuck is in any way relevant to anything happening anywhere in the cosmos.

Completely toxic.
I have not much pity for them because no one speaks up.

I played through the whole game and really loved it. And at no point did I ever wonder if Rivet liked cock or vag. Why would I want to know that?
Exactly! Anyone who wants to know who these fictional humanoid animals want to fuck are freaking straight up weirdos and should be shunned from the gaming community at all costs.

GymWolf

As crazy as it seems, I'd blame companies for hiring her. It's not like she hides her political agenda so they get tricked into hiring her thinking she'll write non-political content.

Companies willingly want her so they can infuse political content into their game as it's obvious she is going to skew to that kind of content. I'm sure she can figure out a way to make Tetris all about sexuality and gender preferences. So if a company making another Tetris game wants to hire her for a make-believe background story or wrote some bullet points on the plastic case, you can only blame the company as everyone knows what kind angle her writing is.
This is tetris if it was made by the crazy bitch

61UnWXGOO1L.png

klosos

Well that's the problem , there's to many mediocre writers in the game industry (Mediocre is giving most to much credit). Give me great and memorable characters that's what i care about regardless of Gender ,ethnicity so on .

Give me more Trans characters like Claire Russell from Cyberpunk 2077 a great great character who just happens to be Trans rather then in Mass Effect Andromeda when you speak to a women on the Ark and she tell you that she's trans in the first conversation then doesn't say another thing the entire game lol i shit you not

Writing should have nuance and give the chance for the reader to think and come up with the own opinions , that's exactly what modern games are mostly lacking and that's due to terrible writers.

jason10mm

Gold Member
This is tetris if it was made by the crazy bitch

61UnWXGOO1L.png
Goddamn, patent this idea NOW! Give those guys a nice erect phallus and whenever you can arrange a guy and girl to achieve penetration (for example, the guy and the sitting redhead in the bottom right) they explode for more points :p

Fuck it, I'm gonna patent that idea now :p

I've given up on DnD, at least from WOTC. Hiring folks like this are mostly the reason why.

Kdad

Goddamn, patent this idea NOW! Give those guys a nice erect phallus and whenever you can arrange a guy and girl to achieve penetration (for example, the guy and the sitting redhead in the bottom right) they explode for more points :p

Fuck it, I'm gonna patent that idea now :p

I've given up on DnD, at least from WOTC. Hiring folks like this are mostly the reason why.

Prior art...

Hayabusa83

Banned
Shame... She could have been borderline attractive if she didn't have those stupid tramp stamps and embraced her femininity.

Neo-bot

Neo Member
Sam was the lead writer but I feel like if this was a important part of Rivet why wasn't it revealed in the game? For a lot of people, saying they are lesbian is a pretty big deal. For it to come out as a twitter post by one of the writers after the game is released and who has now left the project sort of sounds like an attempt to retrofit s narrative that Sam created such an amazing game character role model who can be all these things to minorities. Have the guts to put it in the game and make a story out of it or don't do it at all - which arguably might change the tone of the story if you want to do justice to this storyline. You can't have it both ways

SaucyJack

Sam was the lead writer but I feel like if this was a important part of Rivet why wasn't it revealed in the game? For a lot of people, saying they are lesbian is a pretty big deal. For it to come out as a twitter post by one of the writers after the game is released and who has now left the project sort of sounds like an attempt to retrofit s narrative that Sam created such an amazing game character role model who can be all these things to minorities. Have the guts to put it in the game and make a story out of it or don't do it at all - which arguably might change the tone of the story if you want to do justice to this storyline. You can't have it both ways

Alternatively, it isn’t canon at all despite the claims of the activist former Insomniac employee.

Further, Sam Maggs is not actually credited by Insomniac as being the LEAD writer for the game and even if she was thats not exactly the role which gets to determine what is and isn’t canon.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Alternatively, it isn’t canon at all despite the claims of the activist former Insomniac employee.

Further, Sam Maggs is not actually credited by Insomniac as being the LEAD writer for the game and even if she was thats not exactly the role which gets to determine what is and isn’t canon.

Pretty sure when she first revealed her involvement at Insomniac, the tweet stated she had joined as a senior writer. Which makes sense as from an employment/payment standpoint "Senior" sets pay-scale.
The position of "lead" is often more of a honorific as its an operational position; i.e. any senior should be capable of taking the role of lead over the life-time of the project, either on a temporary or full-time basis, with the actual credit (in game) being decided at the end.

Time spent doesn't really factor into it, because you can do minor stuff for a year but only spend 6 months as "lead", and come up short if a new "lead" was put in place for the final year of the project.

SaucyJack

Pretty sure when she first revealed her involvement at Insomniac, the tweet stated she had joined as a senior writer. Which makes sense as from an employment/payment standpoint "Senior" sets pay-scale.
The position of "lead" is often more of a honorific as its an operational position; i.e. any senior should be capable of taking the role of lead over the life-time of the project, either on a temporary or full-time basis, with the actual credit (in game) being decided at the end.

Time spent doesn't really factor into it, because you can do minor stuff for a year but only spend 6 months as "lead", and come up short if a new "lead" was put in place for the final year of the project.

Exactly.

Sam Maggs was one of the writers on R&C rift apart. She may have thought, in her mind, that Rivet was lesbian when she made her contribution to the game, but she doesn’t get to say what is and isn’t canon. She doesn’t own the ip, she wasn’t the creative lead, director or producer.

More accurate thread title: “Social justice activist and former Insomniac employee claims that cartoon alien is lesbian despite this never having been part of story.“

It’s all super retarded regardless.

Last edited:

Kdad

Exactly.

Sam Maggs was one of the writers on R&C rift apart. She may have thought, in her mind, that Rivet was lesbian when she made her contribution to the game, but she doesn’t get to say what is and isn’t canon. She doesn’t own the ip, she wasn’t the creative lead, director or producer.

More accurate thread title: “Social justice activist and former Insomniac employee claims that cartoon alien is lesbian despite this never having been part of story.“

Sounds like you're canceling Rivet's reality. You'll be hearing from Pansexual Harvey Birdman soon

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Exactly.

Did you just take away Rivet's agency? Not a good look, friendo. Gonna need a few moments to unpack this.

Hayabusa83

Banned
See, this is where their priorities lay. And yet my thread pointing out how garbage, soulless and woke rivet and clank was got locked. This forum was 100 percent bitch made on that day.

Insomniac are dead, just a marvel factory and nothing they ever make from now will have any creativity to it, just checkbox quotas and gameplay tropes.

Spiderman was hugely overrated as well. Sam Maggs even managed to self insert into the DLC via Black Cat.

I used to think Insomnaic were special, I have a fondness for their PS2 releases and Resistance Fall of Man is one of my favorite shooters ever made, but I have no interest in any of their future cookie cutter releases.

Interfectum

See, this is where their priorities lay. And yet my thread pointing out how garbage, soulless and woke rivet and clank was got locked. This forum was 100 percent bitch made on that day.

Insomniac are dead, just a marvel factory and nothing they ever make from now will have any creativity to it, just checkbox quotas and gameplay tropes.
Yup, this.

Rift Apart was a soulless husk of a game. Bland characters, way too easy platinum, forgettable story but at least it looked pretty.

TBH though, I feel like Horizon 2 falls into a similar camp.

Last edited:

tommib

Can you people stop using that cis bullshit??

Straight male is fucking enough, the pronouns retard mob win everytime you use that shit in a sentence.
You need to work on your gender studies. Gay men and women are are also cis. I’ve been called gay cis man a couple of times. To which I reply, horny man-fucker is good, thanks.

Last edited:

Brigandier

Has this they/them/microwave burger been locked up yet?, Sounds like an absolute nutcase.

Did this thing once say it was raped in GTA?... Moron

Last edited:
Sam Maggs involvement in any game immediately kills my hype, I can't get past that GTAV interview. Makes no sense that someone like that would end up having a place in the game industry.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom