• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LCD TV or Stereo TV for gaming?

Oogami

Banned
Any one experienced gaming on LCD TV? I heard bad things like bad camera angle/washed out colors, bad refresh rate or stuff like that. Is that true? So I shouldn't get a LCD TV for gaming, and just stick to Stereo TV am I right?

Also because LCD TV is much more expensive than Stereo TV, the only advantage of LCD TV is to save spaces, is that all?

So I'm better off getting a Stereo TV for gaming because of same to better picture quality and better prices, right? I want advices here, thanks!

Dr. Strangelove

I'M COOCOO FOR COCO CRISP!
I have an LCD TV, and it looks just fine. The refresh rate seems to be pretty high on it as I haven't experienced any motion blur. I primarily bought it because of its lightweight design and the fact that I don't have to worry about things like burn-in. The picture is better on CRT TVs however.

KingJ2002

I am using a LCD TV... I have no refresh rate problems and all my games look beautiful.

Im really surprised how certain games look... like ridge racer 6 look incredible... my LCD makes me feel like im really playing at the arcade... i never got a feeling like this from my older sets.

i cant wait to see how doa 4 looks

mrklaw

MrArseFace
LCD for me. But lower res stuff can suffer, depending how fussy you are. I'm fine with it.

I've had an LCD for 2 years now (just replaced it with a new one), and my PC monitors at home and work are LCD, so I'm now used to the 'look'. I find it distracting looking at CRTs now, I can notice the flicker and scanlines so clearly.

but it will take you some time to get used to the look.

Pimpbaa

My lcd monitor looks like ass when the res is anything lower than default. Do scaling methods on lcds vary greatly?

Culex

Banned
Pimpbaa said:
My lcd monitor looks like ass when the res is anything lower than default. Do scaling methods on lcds vary greatly?

Yes, the scaling methods of LCD TV's vary from brand to brand. I've found that Sony/Samsung have very good scalers, although nothing will work as well as a CRT.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Pimpbaa said:

very much so. PC monitors tend to have little or shit scalers in them, as they expect a PC to be driving them at their native res.

LCD TVs know they'll be fed a variety of signals, so need to make them look OK. Better sets have better scalers/deinterlacers.

My old Philips with pixel plus looked great with normal TV (lower res than the panel), as does my new Toshiba.

Top Bottom