• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Layoffs Reported at Pieces Interactive (Embracer - Developers of Alone in the Dark 2024)

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Even I didn't get this game and I actually expect it to be good....
It looks like a good 7/10 game.

This is what a $40 AA game should be.

I’ll grab it later on when its on sale.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
It looks like a good 7/10 game.

This is what a $40 AA game should be.

I’ll grab it later on when its on sale.

Games like this are why I'm glad game rentals exist. Good, but buggy, fun over a weekend but definitely not worth the full price (IMO).

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
You have to be a moron to work at video game studios at this point.

embracer owns like 50 studios. just have these extra hands work at a different studio helping others ship games that are closer to release.

firing people only to hire them back just a couple of years later is so insane to me. no wonder the industry is in the shitter. people just dont get the experience they need and are constantly moving from one job, one engine to another.

Killer8

The really shit demo I think sunk a lot of opinions of the game pre-release (including mine). No idea what they were thinking with that. Alone in the Dark was also a very dormant IP that not a lot of people remember. The publisher could have done a lot more to get the previous games out into the public awareness. Even though this game looked AA quality (in a AAA price tag, which was another problem), it's still a big gamble to go from basically irrelevance to that.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
The really shit demo I think sunk a lot of opinions of the game pre-release (including mine). No idea what they were thinking with that. Alone in the Dark was also a very dormant IP that not a lot of people remember. The publisher could have done a lot more to get the previous games out into the public awareness. Even though this game looked AA quality (in a AAA price tag, which was another problem), it's still a big gamble to go from basically irrelevance to that.
I think other publishers saw Capcom selling RE2, 3 and 4 for full price and critical acclaim even though they're relatively small, mostly linear games with all the pre-production done. Made sense to try and jump on that. Apparently Dead Space didn't sell enough. Now we wait to see how Silent Hill 2 lands.

xrnzaaas

You have to be a moron to work at video game studios at this point.
This was known for many years, but people who loved games still wanted to work on making them. With the recent layoffs current students still planning their future will have a much easier choice - just go where you'll earn more and have a safe job.

Killer8

I think other publishers saw Capcom selling RE2, 3 and 4 for full price and critical acclaim even though they're relatively small, mostly linear games with all the pre-production done. Made sense to try and jump on that. Apparently Dead Space didn't sell enough. Now we wait to see how Silent Hill 2 lands.

I'd argue Dead Space had the same problem as Alone in the Dark. Last entry was in 2013 and ended on a sour note for a lot of fans. These publishers need to learn that you can't just defrost a dead franchise, throw a big budget at it and expect it to sell gangbusters.

Everyone wants to be the Resident Evil remakes but they fail to realize that RE is still an active franchise that is pumping out bangers year after year. 7 and Village were well received and sold really well by themselves. It's such a great time to be a fan of the series and the solid remakes are really just the cherry on top.

I suspect that Silent Hill 2 will have the same sales problems, even if the game itself turns out well. Dead franchise for a decade, ending on a sour note (P.T. cancellation), and Konami's first forays into resurrecting the series have been bad (Ascension and The Short Message).

And on top of that, the SH series has never been a big seller. Total series sales were 8.4 million at the end of Dec 2012. Since RE5, most Resident Evil games have sold more than that each.

Top Bottom