• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Latest Nintendo Switch Firmware provides Switch Pro Details

Fbh

Wouldn't be surprised if the pro is a slightly enhanced switch + a dock that upscales to 4K..
When you are making a gazillion dollars with Animal Crossing and a Ps2 tier Pokemon I don't think your main focus for a new product is to make some expensive 4K 60fps machine for the hardcore gamer crowd.

Derktron

Banned
That's not a Pro switch. It will be a Pro when the actual SOC gets upgraded, not some shitty side chip.

It's the same thing with an updated upscaler.
Yeah that’s what I don’t get, it doesn’t seem to use anything that is from Nvidia SOC chips. Maybe I’m wrong and someone can correct me.

kuncol02

Banned
Every version of the PSP had a slightly smaller form factor and different screen. They added TV output ports starting with the 2000. And the PSPGo is a completely different form factor with different memory card options.

The Vita Slim featured an improved form factor and introduced built-in storage.

The PS One allowed you to attach a screen and play the system semi-portably.

The ever-smaller versions of the PS2 and PS3 were similar in function to the DS Lite and Game Boy Pocket, selling the same hardware with a sleeker look. They also had the nice distinction of lacking the crippling hardware failure rates of the original PS2 and PS3 SKUs. Not insidious at all.

The XBox 360 S featured built-in WiFi, a not insignificant hardware upgrade to its predecessor.

Etc.
PS2 slim also had build in network adapter.

Quasicat

I upgraded to the Mariko Switch in March due to my launch unit fan clicking a lot and the battery really not lasting as much as I needed. I am happy with it and the Switch Lite that I use at work, but I will not be upgrading this time. That is, unless the dock is compatible with Mariko and I can just buy a new dock instead.

Last edited:

Woman7

Banned
Nintendo...jesus fucking christ.

200.gif

Bridges

I might be in the minority but I would be way more into the idea of a new dock that upscales a higher resolution than a new device. Kinda wanted to grab a second dock anyway, but I'm in absolutely no rush to replace the Switch itself.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I might be in the minority but I would be way more into the idea of a new dock that upscales a higher resolution than a new device. Kinda wanted to grab a second dock anyway, but I'm in absolutely no rush to replace the Switch itself.

If the dock works with current switches I am with you. I would like to see a new switch with the ability to at the very least run at higher clocks to boost frame rates and resolution on games that dont hit their target but I can live without it.

UnNamed

Banned
I read the Op's message multiple times and had no idea what they were talking about, since it was gibberish to me.
So I clicked, and I found out PCMags is reporting an article from VCG which is currently erased since it was taken from another site, Centro Pokemon/Leak, who basically made up the entire article using a tweet from an hacker SciresM who think the article is misleading.

Another great example of GAMING JOURNALISM.

tassletine

so really its all still the same, but you can buy a 4k add-on dock?

seems in line with nintendos affinity for peripherals
That's what I was thinking. If so, almost everyone who owns one will probably get it. Very smart business decision if it's true.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I am really close to biting on Switch Lite, just because there is no way I can use it on the TV where my Series X is. Plus the 'plastic' feeling many described is actually an advantage if I am meant to give it to my daughter.
srsly buy the lite dude it's a crazy good portable/

ethomaz

Banned
Every fucking 4k tv basically upscales to 4k ya knob
And looks utter terrible... thanks to agree with my point.
Said that I expect that dedicated Switch upscale to be better than the shit TVs scaling.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
And looks utter terrible... thanks to agree with my point.
Said that I expect that dedicated Switch upscale to be better than the shit TVs scaling.
let's just hope it can use DLSS then yes
also i want 60 fps

Last edited:

Bridges

I read the Op's message multiple times and had no idea what they were talking about, since it was gibberish to me.
So I clicked, and I found out PCMags is reporting an article from VCG which is currently erased since it was taken from another site, Centro Pokemon/Leak, who basically made up the entire article using a tweet from an hacker SciresM who think the article is misleading.

Another great example of GAMING JOURNALISM.
Ah so it's load of nothing just like every other instance of "reporting" on the "Switch Pro"

I'm still not convinced such a thing even exists, seems to be just a ton of wishful thinking and assumptions

DESTROYA

Day 1 , still rocking my OG Switch and if true a die shrink for better battery life and OLED screen is worth it alone to me , again if true the performance boost is just a added bonus.
Don’t really care for a 4k Switch since I don’t have a 4K TV and use it in handheld mode the majority of the time.

Last edited:

00_Zer0

Ah so it's load of nothing just like every other instance of "reporting" on the "Switch Pro"

I'm still not convinced such a thing even exists, seems to be just a ton of wishful thinking and assumptions
It seems the hacker did find these things in the firmware and based on his findings he is speculating what this next iteration of Switch could be. No different than when people found Mariko in the firmware before Switch Lite was released.

Last edited:

ultrazilla

A couple things to takeaway here:

-This "leak" regarding the dock having tech built into it seems to go along with those rumors a few months ago about regular Switch docks being pretty hard to find with
speculation being Nintendo had discontinued them for some strange reason.

-If this is simply a "4k resolution bump" without some decent performance gains involved, it'll be a huge let down. IMO the most glaring issue with the Switch isn't the visuals,
it's the performance.

-Perhaps Nintendo plans on adding more memory to the system which *could* conceivably help game performance.

-The Mariko chip currently in the Switch systems from my understanding are underclocked substantially. If Nintendo has been able to solve the overheating of the SOC then
we could see a decent performance bump with Mariko.

-Here's a few videos showing overclocks of the OG Switch.

Tech NeoGAF, what do you think?

Hopefully we'll get some idea of what Nintendo has planned on one of their upcoming Directs.

00_Zer0

The fuck is this? My last phone came out nearly 10 years ago and it was rocking a 1440p screen.
Nintendo is known to keep things very similar within the same generation of handheld hardware, so if Oled is true and 720p is still the resolution of the unit in handheld mode you are still going to notice a major improvement over the current display.

Astral Dog

The 4K docked was predictable, but I was really hoping for a 1080p screen.
It would be a big waste of resources for handheld mode imo, im surprised they are even putting oled. Current Switch doesn’t even take advantage of its screen because the graphics are so demanding resulting in lots of subnative games i rather just see native 720p and improved framerates for handheld.

Leave that thing for the real Switch 2

Last edited:

00_Zer0

A couple things to takeaway here:

-This "leak" regarding the dock having tech built into it seems to go along with those rumors a few months ago about regular Switch docks being pretty hard to find with
speculation being Nintendo had discontinued them for some strange reason.

-If this is simply a "4k resolution bump" without some decent performance gains involved, it'll be a huge let down. IMO the most glaring issue with the Switch isn't the visuals,
it's the performance.

-Perhaps Nintendo plans on adding more memory to the system which *could* conceivably help game performance.

-The Mariko chip currently in the Switch systems from my understanding are underclocked substantially. If Nintendo has been able to solve the overheating of the SOC then
we could see a decent performance bump with Mariko.

-Here's a few videos showing overclocks of the OG Switch.

Tech NeoGAF, what do you think?

Hopefully we'll get some idea of what Nintendo has planned on one of their upcoming Directs.

At the beginning of a new year when does Nintendo generally have directs? Do they wait till late February, early March when it's closer to the ending of the fiscal year?

Last edited:
Thinking I will sit out on the switch pro unless it has amazing games only played on the new system. I play in handheld mode 95% of the time.

MacReady13

Good old Nintendo- they will NEVER change. Just when we ALL expect them to try compete, even in some small way, with the competition, they go and do the opposite and remain with a weak, underpowered console/handheld unit. Good luck trying to have the Switch as your only console within the next 3 years as the PS5/Series X start flexing their next gen muscles.

Mister Wolf

No, you're looking at it wrong. You can use any 4k capable HDMI dock to connect the Switch to a TV, right now. Today.

The Switch Lite currently has no dock capability. This sounds to me like a Mariko model with the restored TV output circuitry.

Is the dock that comes with the switch 4K capable? If it isn't then this is it.

RaZoR No1

Instead of just upscaling, could the Chip inside of the dock could help getting more calculation power?
Something like a eGPU for example.
Or is it a no, because they are completely different chips?

Btw: do we even have a mobile SoC that is capable of true 4k gaming?

LordOfChaos

Same chip, upscaling dock, is disappointing. But if they shrunk the TX1+ to 7nm, it could still perform substantially better, it should be able to bring the OG Switch's docked mode performance to undocked mode, with a new higher performance docked mode.

That said, I've learned to expect the least from Nintendo hardware.

DESTROYA

The fuck is this? My last phone came out nearly 10 years ago and it was rocking a 1440p screen.
WTF is this! Last time I checked your phone never had games like the Switch does either.
It‘s a gaming machine not a laptop or stupid phone where you can actually use the extra pixels, 720p is perfectly fine for such a small screen . You would get diminishing results and a performance hit going higher.

Poor Clarissa Clarissa even her ”friend” gets her banned on GAF and he isn’t even a member.

Rat Rage

That is not Switch Pro but a new dock with a 4k upscaler chip.
Imagine games in 720p being upscaled to 4k :messenger_face_screaming:

So what? From 720p to 4k, it's a clean 3x multiplier? With modern upscale tech, it shouldn't be a problem to make this look good.

Fake

So what? From 720p to 4k, it's a clean 3x multiplier? With modern upscale tech, it shouldn't be a problem to make this look good.

Upscaling a 720p resolution is not an easy task. There is no magic to solve such a lower resolution, at least for Nintendo to do.

Last edited:

sinnergy

So those old patents ... DGPU

There is enough space left in the dock, seems this was planned years ago.

Last edited:
Top Bottom