• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Last of Us Part II Deadnaming Prompts Outcry From LGBTQ+ Community and Allies

Spaceman292

Banned
But Lev isn't transsexual. The scars just wanted to pass him off as a woman to give as a sex slave to one of their creepy leaders. That's why he ran away.

He never ever mentions wanting to be accepted as a girl.

Or did I misunderstand that? Was he originally a boy or a girl? I thought he was always a boy and the scars just had a fucked up catholic church thing going on.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
But Lev isn't transsexual. The scars just wanted to pass him off as a woman to give as a sex slave to one of their creepy leaders. That's why he ran away.

He never ever mentions wanting to be accepted as a girl.

Or did I misunderstand that? Was he originally a boy or a girl? I thought he was always a boy and the scars just had a fucked up catholic church thing going on.
Born a girl forced to be some kind of sex slave.
Wanted to be a soldier as big sis.

So SHE decided to shave off all her hair as a statement. And escaping from clan. Doing what well she loves. Fighting not breeding.

Maybe she still likes mad dick. She just doesn't want to be some babyfactory for a fat pervy leader.

Yall never fucking watched MULAN from disney?

Last edited:

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Is this a real outrage? Because it appears to me like they touched on the subject the right way: Displaying it as a form of discrimination trans people live with and as bad behaviour.

Grinchy

Banned
Is this a real outrage? Because it appears to me like they touched on the subject the right way: Displaying it as a form of discrimination trans people live with and as bad behaviour.
We live in an age where using blackface in a show to vilify it as a concept is racist even though it was making the right point. So it's not shocking to see this.

Nuance doesn't matter to the screechiest.

Bartski

Gold Member
lmao, not good enough as usual.
One of the top leads on the game is trans so I'm sure it was used deliberately but they somehow failed to predict it will be taken out of context by opressioholics

Roufianos

The game clearly presents The Scars as in the wrong and tries to create sympathy for Lev.

I guess that's not enough for some who want us to believe that a murderous cult would unanimously recognise her as a boy because she shaved her hair and changed her name.

Whatever, Druckmann tried to be woke and failed. Not gonna feel sorry for him.

Last edited:
There's just one possible solution: recall all the physical and digital copies now and fix the game.
A normal patch simply wouldn't be enough to send a message of solidarity to the LGBT∞ community.

Kokoloko85

Calling themselves trans is also sort of like "deadnaming" because it acknowledged that they are once the opposite gender.

These people really can't survive reality.

Clearly as they’ve had to change themselves to fix the “identity” in there brains lol

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
I wouldn't be surprised if ND tried to apologize by making a story DLC about Lev and making all the right moves in showing its gender.

Kev Kev

I wouldn't be surprised if ND tried to apologize by making a story DLC about Lev and making all the right moves in showing its gender.
thats the thing tho, these people would still find something to complain about, even if they had to twist it up in a knot, they would find a fucking way. so ND just needs to ignore these people and make the game they want to make
So we want games to represent real life, but the bad guys can't act like real life bad guys?
Kinda beats the point...
these people dont care about making a point, just getting outraged, having the spotlight shine on them and doing anything within their power to point the finger at anyone and anything else, except themselves, for why they feel like a train wreck inside.

Last edited:

Lunk

Why is it that when you guys feel slighted you start rejoicing when more of this cancel-mentality shit hits the fan from another group? Trans people making an outcry over a leftist getting their woke support of them wrong is no better than an LGBT- or LGBT-supportive group throwing shit at right-wingers.

The problem is the mentality, not who it's coming from. I'm not gonna sit here and go "Ha, take that, you dead-naming scumbags" becuase dead-naming is the world's biggest "DEAL WITH IT" micro-issue that transgender people should just learn to fucking muster. Over time people will learn that deadnaming is a tranny taboo and then they'll stop or use it mockingly to tease people and stuff.

Thaedolus

1) I never picked up that Lev was trans. Is this actually confirmed to be true?
2) I thought they called him an apostate? That's not deadnaming, that's a term I've been called for leaving a religion too.

Like did any of the alleged actually happen in the game? Because I don't remember any of it happening.

Dunnas

1) I never picked up that Lev was trans. Is this actually confirmed to be true?
2) I thought they called him an apostate? That's not deadnaming, that's a term I've been called for leaving a religion too.

Like did any of the alleged actually happen in the game? Because I don't remember any of it happening.
It was all in the game and was made very clear later with all the stuff about their mum, after ‘hinting‘ at it earlier. It was really more than hinting earlier though, but a lot of people seem to have not noticed the scars calling out Lilly a number of times in their first encounter with them on the way to the hospital, which Lev and Abby briefly talk about afterwards.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

It was all in the game and was made very clear later with all the stuff about their mum, after ‘hinting‘ at it earlier. It was really more than hinting earlier though, but a lot of people seem to have not noticed the scars calling out Lilly a number of times in their first encounter with them on the way to the hospital, which Lev and Abby briefly talk about afterwards.

Then what’s the problem? The scars aren’t portrayed as anything but zealots and villains. Every protagonist in the game gets abused and tormented in a vile world. Is deadnaming really that much worse or unexpected from a religious cult? Lev is the most virtuous and unimpeachable character in the game tbh. Honestly it seems like a positive representation if that’s what someone’s looking for...

MrS

Banned
It makes sense for the scenes and the game though. Seraphites refuse to acknowledge Lev and refer to him as Lily.

If Ian Alexander was fine with it, I am too.

The stance of "deadnames can't be used. Period" is bullshit. If you want representation in games, the developers must be able to flesh out the story in ways that makes sense for the characters.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Ah yes the religious extremist cult who hang you from your neck then knife your stomach so your innards come flopping out will stop and respectfully refrain from deadnaming in the future.

It's all handled well in the context of the narrative. Abby never presses or disrespects Lev on their past and that is true acceptance.

Just fuck off.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Yay for cultural gentrification.

Lets all pretend its an all happy, shiny world (even in our dystopic fiction), and thanks to the secret of reciprocity in the universe that shiny, happy world will come to be.

Fucking bell-ends.

Iorv3th

Born a girl forced to be some kind of sex slave.
Wanted to be a soldier as big sis.

So SHE decided to shave off all her hair as a statement. And escaping from clan. Doing what well she loves. Fighting not breeding.

Maybe she still likes mad dick. She just doesn't want to be some babyfactory for a fat pervy leader.

Yall never fucking watched MULAN from disney?

Mulan isn't trans though.

This dead naming shit is one of the dumbest new things these fucks come up with.

Since when is using a birth name a huge invasion of privacy and something that warrants an out roar? Get a grip losers.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Mulan isn't trans though.

This dead naming shit is one of the dumbest new things these fucks come up with.

Since when is using a birth name a huge invasion of privacy and something that warrants an out roar? Get a grip losers.
yes and neither is the girl in tlou2

Wizz-Art

I've never met a trans person in real life and probably never will so I wasn't known with the term 'deadnaming'. I can without a doubt say that the majority of Gaf has the same reality. Catering to the 0.01% of this planet and still failing is priceless though:messenger_tears_of_joy:

Hashimoto points out that some gamers might even get pleasure from seeing transgender characters beat up or deadnamed. Even if the game portrays actions like deadnaming in a negative fashion, should it really be portraying them at all?
This is in no way specific to Trans people. Some like to see straight/blacks/white/religious/hispanics/male/female being mistreated in different ways.

And well, accusing ND of Deadnaming a virtual character played by a trans person is a new level of some new level of SJW BS, this only shows why there is no point in bending the knee to that ideology. I mean that guy even acknowledge that the general context of the story is extremely grim, and that the mistreatment is portrayed as bad, but I guess the only valid game is Wolfenstein 3d now (killing actual Nazis in their base should be OK?)

TLZ

Banned
I don't get anything. I just.. I don't... What the f.... What is...

I thought they were proud?

And how do they come up with these goddamn words? Deadnaming?

skneogaf

It is such a difficult thing to understand and not make mistakes when it comes to gender pronouns.

I strongly believe that people should be given way more leeway when it's obvious they've not intended to offend.

Mass Shift

screwed.jpg

Top Bottom