• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Last of Us Part II Deadnaming Prompts Outcry From LGBTQ+ Community and Allies

ExpandKong

Banned
You guys are crazy if you think ND and Druckmann will learn a lesson from this. I expect an apology from them telling the community they will do better next time and thank them for exposing their own bigotry about these subjects. This will be the only criticism of the game they will take to heart.

TLoU3 is going to be Lev hunting down and brutally killing Neil Druckmann.

Collin

Banned
i searched twitter on this issue. every criticism about this that i’ve found is from people who haven’t even played it and they’re all written so hyperbolically “i won’t stand for them constantly abusing, deadnaming, beating the skull in of this trans character.” they act like the main characters are constant beating the shit out of him and calling him mean names lol

lol dude gets deadnamed one time. beyond that he’s a genuinely charming and funny character whose a badass with a bow. you could argue he gets the least amount of violence and abuse towards him of anyone in the game, in a game where almost every character gets abused and beaten up a ton. he’s kinda the heart at the center of a dark story and a great representation of a trans person because while his gender identity is mentioned, he’s got so much more depth to him beyond that. wish the sjw idiots would atleast look a little deeper before constantly jumping on this exhausting cancel train.

Last edited:
Pander to scum only for it to never be enough.

🎙 towers of gold are still so little, these hands could hold the world but it'll, NEVVVERRR BEEEEE ENOUUUUGGHHH 🎙

Greatest Showman was a fuckin banger movie.

devDemonik

Neo Member
Genuinely confused. Is Lev not a girl's name and is it not a girl? I thought it was a she until Abby went and said 'he' and I started questioning the universe.

Paracelsus

Genuinely confused. Is Lev not a girl's name and is it not a girl? I thought it was a she until Abby went and said 'he' and I started questioning the universe.

Lev is a biological woman that identifies as a man.
The entire "cult of homophobes" deal was about Lev, not Abby.

GreyHorace

2183390c33417d017eaed6a53d80fb64.gif

Oh my God this is fucking hilarious. Naughty Dog tried to pander and they still got called out.

This is why you should never pander if you're in a creative industry like videogames. It'll never be enough for crazed whackos like these. Just create what you want and do the best you can then take the hit like an adult. Apologizing to nutjobs like these is the death of creativity.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I've only seen some scenes of the Lev character, so I don't know all of content, but what I've seen (not going to spoil it), he is basically portrayed as a punching bag most of them time.

omfg stfu already. Honestly I hope nd takes a stand and doesn't change shit. This is literally getting out of hand at this point.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
For the record, this is probably the most diverse game ever.

- Female lead (plz dont try and correct this)
- First big lesbian protagonist in an AAA game.
- Jewish heroine.
- THREE major Asian Characters
- One Trans character
- Out of the 10 characters that join you in gameplay, 5 are women, 5 men. even 50-50 split.
- The game tackles homophobia and transphobia in ways no game has tackled before.
- there are hispanics, black characters, and even extinct minorities like the vita make an appearance.

Liberals should be celebrating this game. If there is something you dont like, just give it a pass. This guy is getting fucking death threats over the inclusion of all this stuff in this game, he went to bat for these people, and they are just piling on and throwing him under the bus instead of protecting him. I swear if MLK was alive today they would cancel him over something stupid. Pretty sure MLK was having affairs left and right too.

What's next? Black people upset that it doesnt tackle black oppression in the U.S? Hispanics upset over all the walls they have built around these post apocalyptic cities? Indians upset that no one cares about them enough to even put them in as an extra?

I've only seen some scenes of the Lev character, so I don't know all of content, but what I've seen (not going to spoil it), he is basically portrayed as a punching bag most of them time.

Again someone else speaking on something they have no idea what they're talking about. How about you play they game before you speak on it. lev isn't a punching bag AT ALL and is honestly a bad ass in the game. Yes he gets in dangerous situations and gets beat up all the characters do its a brutal game. He's basically the new ellie character.

The people who are pissed about this, should just keep their mouth shut. This game is getting criticized for the wrong reasons. I feel bad for ND. They put love into this game and it still is getting all this hate.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Even if the game portrays actions like deadnaming in a negative fashion, should it really be portraying them at all?

The idea that censoring immoral behaviours no matter how they are portrayed is useful, good, and not just the source of more problems seems way too strongly based on a world view where you can control how society evolves if you control thought and what is culturally fed to people (which then has to lead with constant monitoring and nipping in the bud emergent “negative” behaviours and thoughts).

If it were not just wrong and impractical this is also based on the concepts of what is moral and not to be somewhat ironically very binary and certainly not on a spectrum... unfortunately, beyond some simple cases, they just are not that binary and this just has people eating each other.

Why should the game have/portray anything wrong or sad at all then?

- Jewish heroine.
- One Trans character
- Out of the 10 characters that join you in gameplay, 5 are women, 5 men. even 50-50 split.
- The game tackles homophobia and transphobia in ways no game has tackled before.
- there are hispanics, black characters, and even extinct minorities like the vita make an appearance.

Liberals should be celebrating this game. If there is something you dont like, just give it a pass. This guy is getting fucking death threats over the inclusion of all this stuff in this game, he went to bat for these people, and they are just piling on and throwing him under the bus instead of protecting him. I swear if MLK was alive today they would cancel him over something stupid. Pretty sure MLK was having affairs left and right too.

What's next? Black people upset that it doesnt tackle black oppression in the U.S? Hispanics upset over all the walls they have built around these post apocalyptic cities? Indians upset that no one cares about them enough to even put them in as an extra?

Is Abby really trans though?

Last edited:

Jon Neu

Banned
The concept of deadnaming is amazing. It’s literally getting mad at acknowledging reality. The ego of this people is just so out of control.

By the way, Cuckmann already adressed this. He said Naughty Dog made a great effort with the trans character, consulting their own trans staff that works at ND, consulting out of Naughty Dog and even Cuckmann himself said a member of his family is trans so it’s a personal matter for him too.

But that’s the problem with SJW politics; they are never happy and they are always going to pull for more heretics, more sinners and more enemies of their cause.

Last edited:

Falcs

Banned
This is why you never pander to these fuckwits (woke people, not trans people), they will NEVER be satisfied. Nothing is EVER good enough.

They ask for representation, then they get it, and then they complain. I bet it's not even trans people complaining.

These woke cunts are a fucking joke and as long as companies keep on pandering to their nonsense they will continue to face outrage, both from normal people who are sick of it, and from the very lunatics they are pandering to.

Digity

- Jewish heroine.
- One Trans character

:messenger_tears_of_joy:

GreyHorace

By the way, Cuckmann already adressed this. He said Naughty Dog made a great effort with the trans character, consulting their own trans staff that works at ND, consulting out of Naughty Dog and even Cuckmann himself said a member of his family is trans so it’s a personal matter for him too.

Even if Cuckmann consulted with real trans people it won't matter in the long run. There were always be whackos for whom the pandering is never enough. Like I said before, creatives should never pander because it limits what they can do.

You know who they should emulate? Mel Brooks. When his film Blazing Saddles was released in 1974, people were appalled at the amount of racist jokes in the movie. But it still worked and the movie is considered a comedy classic, mainly because he had Richard Pryor as a writing partner on the screenplay. Brooks and Pryor worked together to find not what was acceptable, but what was funny.

sobaka770

Banned
Probably another vocal minority who didn't even play the damn game. You just can't win with some zealots on both sides of the spectrum. For some transgender character in the game is anathema while others just can't take a W and walk with it.

I didn't notice any disrespect in the game for character of Lev either way. He was written in quite organically which is to me a success.

It's sad that society today is so polarised that the only acceptable discourse is outrage and the scores can be either 0 or 10 otherwise nobody gives a damn. We need to educate people to not fall for this stupid exploitative psychological trick, it singlehandedly ruins society.

cormack12

Gold Member
So just to tag the event in spoilers

'Bev' wanted to be Lev,
So she shaved her head.
She was then ostracised from the cult for doing this as they are *phobe
They come across her again and still refer to her as 'Bev'

I don't see the problem? Isn't that narrative consistency? Wouldn't it be more jarring if they suddenly just did a stiff bow and acknowledged her? Wtf is wrong with these people.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
This truly is the days of Sodom and Gomorrah all over again as in the days of Noah, predicted in the bible at the end times. Where evil is considered good and good is considered evil.
You seem like a sane person😏

Last edited:

MayauMiao

So just to tag the event in spoilers

'Bev' wanted to be Lev,
So she shaved her head.
She was then ostracised from the cult for doing this as they are *phobe
They come across her again and still refer to her as 'Bev'

I don't see the problem? Isn't that narrative consistency? Wouldn't it be more jarring if they suddenly just did a stiff bow and acknowledged her? Wtf is wrong with these people.

They expect the vicious murderous cult to be politically correct because its 2020.

Top Bottom