• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Last of Us Part 2's Shannon Woodward on Playing Dina and Working with Naughty Dog

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

On this week's episode of GameSpot After Dark, Shannon Woodward from The Last Of Us Part 2 joins us to talk about her experiences with Naughty Dog.

Check out the full interview here:

00:00 - Intro
00:24 - Getting Into Acting In Video Games
02:21 - First Time Walking On Set For LOU2
04:08 - Differences In Acting For TV and Video Games
07:57 - How Much Story Did You Know In Advance?
09:47 - Creative Freedom In Scenes

Last edited:

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
elatedgroundedhyena

EDMIX

Hiring another actress for Dina's face was really unnecessary.

I disagree. Its up for the creator to decide. They had a face in mind, thus used someone else for that. As a concept artist, i do this shit all the time. Take a few things from here and there to create something. I don't see having many things taken from different sources as unnecessary if it what the artist's vision is.

I guess Shannon was simply too good looking

Subjective. I think the person they had as Dina's face is fucking sexy as hell, its all subjective. I don't really get why gamers try to turn something they know is subjective into this deeper thing as if for a fact the person is "too good looking" thus must mean something.

That would be like me saying I think Dina is sexy and they MUST have known she was sexy enough for the part.

You think one person is too good lucking as to why they didn't get the part is as strange as me thinking the person they have now got it cause they are sexy

These are subjective views....... they are not factual things.

Jon Neu

Banned
Subjective. I think the person they had as Dina's face is fucking sexy as hell, its all subjective.

The person yes, the ingame character model is uglyfied, plain and dresses like a slob because that's the type of women that makes SJW hard.

There's even a sequence of dialogue in which Ellie says "we're here to kill infected, not to look fancy".

Such a strong independent woman statement.

You think one person is too good lucking as to why they didn't get the part is as strange as me thinking the person they have now got it cause they are sexy

The creator of the game has publicly stated that the appearence and design of it's characters aren't random but a political statement in itself, they are designed the way they are to send a message.

They are literally designed to be SJW masturbatory fanservice.

farmerboy

The person yes, the ingame character model is uglyfied, plain and dresses like a slob because that's the type of women that makes SJW hard.

There's even a sequence of dialogue in which Ellie says "we're here to kill infected, not to look fancy".

The creator of the game has publicly stated that the appearence and design of it's characters aren't random but a political statement in itself, they are designed the way they are to send a message.

Mate, I reckon they look exactly how I'd expect them to look in a post pandemic world.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Hiring another actress for Dina's face was really unnecessary. I guess Shannon was simply too good looking to be featured as herself in the game? Or maybe her nose wasn't the correct shape? ;)

I think it's for "diversity". In the game she looks like Israeli/Armenian, the main actor looks Caucasian.

EDMIX

It's a normal\fine looking face, the hilarious part was make the player believe that all the men were crazy for her in jackson...

But i guess that when the alternative is edgy butch looking ellie, even dina would become super sexy...

Considering what I feel she looks like along with a few others, I can see how men were going crazy for her in Jackson. I see that as a very, very believable thing.

900full-cascina-caradonna.jpg

I can see how that very much could be a thing in Jackson lol

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Considering what I feel she looks like along with a few others, I can see how men were going crazy for her in Jackson. I see that as a very, very believable thing.

And the real actress has a banging body as well. They butchered it (IMVHO) in the game.

EDMIX

And the real actress has a banging body as well. They butchered it (IMVHO) in the game.

I'm fine with both tbh. Its a thing where you pick and choose, they are not sectioning everything to be a carbon copy of the reference. I've rarely done that in Concept art, I don't even think I've ever done that now that I think about it.

Valentino

Wow people slaggin off Dinas face? I know they've used someone else's face but it's one of the better uses of a face I've seen for a long time. Dina's nose bridge has more of a bump. Just like Chloe from Uncharted.......... not heard complaints about that character design. The face actress has a really pretty face and I've always wondered what her heritage background was. Don't the majority of you in here have image issues anyway? Like I guarantee 95% of you in here are matted lookin.

GymWolf

Meanwhile, women in the game:

maxresdefault.jpg

YuJegM-yGTMcMC6u23b1wDa3q1fWvRFUEMybOEGU_8VhTXP1FDnM9epRFc1rf1e83aaK6Gl-EFVr34B_jLb5IWa4JVa2d8dMlnXzb1NPnIB8cjG0GwvtHCUCz4MDUXp7ZsO9PUIc5JSjbc_HTYmryNlHNvnmA6VBFj7-LiA-PjD0ojQDtGtVU9O-Z_JLVSUyOQhFQx-Z5Q

show

crop.php

maxresdefault.jpg
Don't you think that some make up, a cute dress and haircut wouldn't make these women at least normal looking?! (Except mel, that bitch is ugly as fuck)
The females in the outer world are basically mutants in comparison :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

GymWolf

They kinda uglyfied her in the game, both body and face.
Like i said, the ingame model is normal/fine, the real life model is a pretty cute girl.

SLB1904

Banned

you need help.

SSfox

Ultra forgettable character, honestly all new characters sucks hardcore, only Joel and Ellie were badass as usual, also Tommy and his wife. Jacob as pretty cool too but i didn't like what they did and how it ended for the character, i though he had more potential, remind me a bit of Irvin in RE5, cool character but got trash writing and story path.

Thankfully the gameplay was great, and there were some cool moments like Big rat boss fight, and of course the best parts of game with Ellie and Joel past backgrounds gameplay moments.

Last edited:
J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
(Edit: Before you stop and quote this post, please do yourself a favor, keep scrolling down and reading the rest of the conversation and page 1)
Meanwhile, women in the game:

*pics*

tumblr_inline_p56la01j7w1shgrs5_400.gifv

You posted multiple pics of Abby and her crew and you didn't even post Dina, who the thread is about, because you know she looks too good to fit your argument.

frank-tzeng-dina-hex-details-closeup.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Blond

Banned
Hiring another actress for Dina's face was really unnecessary. I guess Shannon was simply too good looking to be featured as herself in the game? Or maybe her nose wasn't the correct shape? ;)
Wow, we’re really going there aren’t we?

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Shannon Woodward isn't bad/ugly by any stretch of the imagination but I would choose Cascina Caradonna every time because she's beautiful, sexy and based on her videos, "real" and normal. Best of all, doesn't need makeup to look good and would only enhance her already beautiful face.

In game, they misrepresented Cascina by giving her almost a flat chest. Like, WTF? She's nowhere near flat chested. SMH.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Really? Everyone?

Why-is-Abby-so-buff-Last-Of-Us-Part-2-comparison-on-Twitter-has-fans-joking-about-steroids.jpg
(Edit: Before you stop and quote this post, please do yourself a favor, keep scrolling down and reading the rest of the conversation and page 1)

Here's the body model for Abby, Colleen Fotsch:

Screen_Shot_2019-11-26_at_1.53.01_PM.png

colleenfotsch-2220903261488032576-248x310.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

77cafeefbd4d0ca8d52288707da9fa29.jpg

With Abby living inside of a football stadium with full on equipment/gym(and possible supplements around) and with the help of good genes it might, might be possible for her to get this jacked.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Here's the body model for Abby, Colleen Fotsch:

Screen_Shot_2019-11-26_at_1.53.01_PM.png

colleenfotsch-2220903261488032576-248x310.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

77cafeefbd4d0ca8d52288707da9fa29.jpg

With Abby living inside of a football stadium with full on equipment/gym(and possible supplements around) and with the help of good genes it might, might be possible for her to get this jacked.
You are forgetting a tiny thing.

A woman can never be this shredded naturally. It's just against biology.

Male Mma fighters doesn't look that buffed. Gina Carano doesn't look that buffed.

It's not natural. And I doubt Abby has access to the drugs given its an apocalypse.

Even if it were a male I'd say it was steroids. You can see her muscles are showing even without flexing. Not natural for muscles.

Last edited:
J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member

Male Mma fighters doesn't look that buffed. Gina Carano doesn't look that buffed.

It's not natural. And I doubt Abby has access to the drugs given its an apocalypse.
I'm not going to go back and forth about what's possible in terms of body type(because that's an argument that will go nowhere for either of us), but I will say this, you honestly don't think there's any supplements, protein powder, or steroids in that giant stadium?

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
I'm not going to go back and forth about what's possible in terms of body type(because that's an argument that will go nowhere for either of us), but I will say this, you honestly don't think there's any supplements, protein powder, or steroids in that giant stadium?
Yeah I doubt it. Someone has to create it and I think its near impossible in that setting.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member

Yeah I doubt it. Someone has to create it and I think its near impossible in that setting.
The unfortunate fact is that the writers of the game could have easily explained this with a few lines or notes, but didn't. They should have. I would have. As a writer you have to explain any anomalies in plot/game logic even when it comes to a character's looks. What we do know is that after a certain loved one of hers was killed she clearly had a training/workout montage(to never feel helpless ever again) that wasn't shown nor told to us. We don't know how she did it but we should.

It goes back to my Star Wars new trilogy argument, the fact that the writing and storytelling is severely lacking and we sit here and blame it on the actors, voice actors, and characters while the writers get away scott free with no consequences to go and write more bullshit for a new beloved project.

Jon Neu

Banned

A woman can't get that big with just protein powder.

And the protein powder would have been expired years and years ago. No protein powder or roids can survive more than the 20 years that have passed since the outbreak day, especially not in a post-apocalyptic world.

And those people rationalized food (one burrito per meal) imagine if they had "suplements", a woman wouldn't be possible to acces them in the first place when there are so many male soldiers that would take much more advantage from them than any woman.

This place has one foot dipped into the pool of 4chan so you'll see posts like that from time to time. I'd still rather enjoy myself here than era or 4chan itself. Both places are full extremes of annoyment.

Well think of this place as bizarro resetera. come for the laughs, stay for the entertainment 🤣.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Well think of this place as bizarro resetera. come for the laughs, stay for the entertainment 🤣.
I find this place(gaming and off-topic) more fun as well. I tend to just not respond or reply to the incognito 4chan strays and Era strays who might frequent here. They both make it very obvious as to where they most likely came from.

Zato

Banned

Even if it were a male I'd say it was steroids. You can see her muscles are showing even without flexing. Not natural for muscles.

Lol, I am not particularly PC but you need to catch a grip mate.

Do yourself a favour, don’t obsess over make believe ...... dare yourself to go out and touch a real girl.

Top Bottom