• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Last of Us and Days Gone veterans announce new studio Liithos and NFT game Ashfall

Toots

Gold Member
WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT MUMBAUER
the dudes trying to sell nft really sound like your friend who fell in a ponzi scheme but still isn't aware of it. He's working his way to understanding that it's a scam, and so he rationalize by using weird comparisons which only he understand the relevance of...

This makes it clear why Sony had to do some house cleaning in Visual Arts Service Group and Bend. 2022 is way to late to get into the NFT scam business.

Last edited:

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
The whiplash in that title defies the laws of physics.

Hell yeah, NFTssss!

concert GIF

. . .there's a coke-jaw if I ever saw one.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I like John Garvin, and I think he (and the entire studio) were unfairly shit on over Days Gone. But he is way, way up his own ass about how great of a writer he is. He writes perfectly serviceable, but very dopey, video game stories that fit perfectly fine in the games that they are in.

This project sounds fucking dumb though. Was reading a bit about it earlier today.

I think Days Gone was remarkably well-written and massively underrated on that front by critics. I thought the dialogue and overall characterization was unusually naturalistic and there was real subtlety in the way he took what appeared on first blush to be fairly stock archetypes and made them plausibly human.

Its easier to write broad and simply subvert initial impression than the way in DG gives you pretty much what to expect up-front and then nuances them such that you get a sense of how they arrived at their present disposition and world-view. Its just a shame the way the planned branching narrative got munged together, as it detracts from the overall impression.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Game makers now: "Please buy our $5 mtx weapon skins. It's cool and you own it. Come one come all"

Game makers in the future: "Please buy our $5 NFT weapon skins. It's cool and you own it. Somehow owning it this way is better than above. Only 5,000 are available so better hurry up"

Game makers now: "Please buy our $5 mtx weapon skins. It's cool and you own it. Come one come all"

Game makers in the future: "Please buy our $5 NFT weapon skins. It's cool and you own it. Somehow owning it this way is better than above. Only 5,000 are available so better hurry up"
Since we're already here, I'm fine with option 2 if it leads to customer re-selling opportunities for profit.

Synless

Got to love all the idiots scrambling to try and get in before NFT's and crypto are dead for good.

It's like the didn't get the memo, it's already too late.
What insightful evidence do you have to your claim that 1) Crypto is dead and 2) It’s too late?

I’ll keep saying it, keep hating on it but it’s the future of gaming flat out. You and the echo chamber of people thinking otherwise saying stupid shit like it’s dead will be left behind. Go ahead and save my response for the future, I won’t be wrong.

What insightful evidence do you have to your claim that 1) Crypto is dead and 2) It’s too late?

I’ll keep saying it, keep hating on it but it’s the future of gaming flat out. You and the echo chamber of people thinking otherwise saying stupid shit like it’s dead will be left behind. Go ahead and save my response for the future, I won’t be wrong.
There's a 50/50 chance but I'm never doubting these potential trends ever again. I remember years and years ago when sites like this one, reddit, digg, etc, were so angry and fought so hard against bitcoin miners, especially with them buying out all of the GPUs. I fell for everyone's word that it was a bad thing, since all of the gamers were so adamantly against it. How very, very wrong we all were. Next thing you know years later I see a bunch of lamborghinis with gaming and anime decals and stickers nearly everywhere I looked.

Why people hate nfts? It's actually a good and easy way for making money. Its literally like trading cards like pokemon and magic. You can learn everything about it in like 10 minutes. How to create, buy, sell.

GHG

Gold Member

Wait, you're serious? Keep going, don't let me stop you. This time it'll be different they said.

GIF by Giphy QA

DaGwaphics

You seem like you are taking his words a bit too literally. Will Crypto as a currency continue to exist? Sure, so long as a robust network of vendors exists that are willing to except the tokens for goods with real-world value. Will Crypto ever revive as a wild speculative investment? It's possible, but that's a much harder thing to do again because it's mostly built on novice investors who are now worried about months and months of net losses.

The blockchain in gaming is a similar deal, right now gaming companies can create scarcity and drive up the price of otherwise unlimited digital goods. Thus, they are all in. If people lose interest and pricing has parity with traditional MTX stores, I don't see much point in the game makers continuing to go that route, not when literally everything that can be done with NFT can be done on any existing MTX storefront. Without having to give any thoughts to outside networks, etc.

Synless

You seem like you are taking his words a bit too literally. Will Crypto as a currency continue to exist? Sure, so long as a robust network of vendors exists that are willing to except the tokens for goods with real-world value. Will Crypto ever revive as a wild speculative investment? It's possible, but that's a much harder thing to do again because it's mostly built on novice investors who are now worried about months and months of net losses.

The blockchain in gaming is a similar deal, right now gaming companies can create scarcity and drive up the price of otherwise unlimited digital goods. Thus, they are all in. If people lose interest and pricing has parity with traditional MTX stores, I don't see much point in the game makers continuing to go that route, not when literally everything that can be done with NFT can be done on any existing MTX storefront. Without having to give any thoughts to outside networks, etc.
I guess we will see. Trends like what’s happening now in crypto have happened several times. NFTs will eventually settle out somewhere in the mix.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
I guess we will see. Trends like what’s happening now in crypto have happened several times. NFTs will eventually settle out somewhere in the mix.

Crypto will not be what it is today in 10 years time, the space will become heavily regulated once the dust settles from the fallout of the current crash. It will be nothing more than government controlled digital currencies.

NFT's (tulips) won't exist at all anymore and people will simply look back and laugh.

The amount of times I've heard "it's the future bro" only to tell people to do their research on the past. Economic cycles are nothing new, history repeats itself but people forget.

DaGwaphics

No doubt that crypto markets have crashed in the past and the Greater Fool Theory has held. That just gets harder each time as the scope of the general population effected increases exponentially every cycle. I think we are up to like 21% of adults have owned/traded crypto now, the more that number climbs the more in jeopardy the GFT in regards to crypto.

yurinka

Nice to see John Garvin back. As a big fan of Syphon Filter and Days Gone I'm looking forward to this game. Mumbauer did work on Sony Visual Arts Group, who did a great job with the cinematics of a ton of Sony games. Let's hope the rest of the team is also very talented and experienced AAA devs and that they don't fuck it up with the business model/pricing/economy.

Block chain nft isn’t dead?
No. There are thousands of different ones. A few big ones tanked make are going fine. And the number of games with nfts is increasing. Some will suceed and most will fail, as happens with non-nft games.

Some traditional gamers now hate nfts in the same way that when released mobile games, F2P, DLC, digital games, indie games on console, console games in disk instead of in cartridge, analog sticks in modern console gamepads, were also hated but over time become mainstream and a huge part of the industry. It's just a matter of time to happen the same with nfts, with iterations games will become better and people will lose the fear to the new.

This will fail miserably
No, the devs -at least these two in charge- are popular and talented and come from consolle. I'm pretty sure they'll do a great job.

Last edited:

Banned
I still don't understand what the freak is an NFT!!! Like can you make money by playing the game??

an NFT is a digital certificate that you own something (usually also digital)

basically this is what an NFT is 👇
R.05ba86979d015fcda335b9c69347fbc9

but it's digital!

Last edited:

anothertech

"There is a bit of a misunderstanding in my opinion on what blockchain gaming could mean for gamers"

clown-icegif-5.gif

Last edited:
Top Bottom