• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Last Day of Steam Sales | you're officially broke: indie game / cheap game spotlight

Mr_Zombie

Gvaz said:
What are you talking about? Example?
Graphic filters are turned on on default, which makes the game looks just ugly. Just look at this:
97rzv7.jpg

Ugh.

Petrie

Banned
I've always heard Zero Punctuation talk about how awesome Painkiller is, which of the games would be the one to buy?

*edit*

Also I mentioned it in the other thread, but I'm sitting on a copy of CivCity: Rome and Terraria I'd love to swap for some cheap indie goodness if anyone has extras to get rid of. PM me or something!

PBalfredo

unpurposed said:
I have $2.51 left in my Steam Wallet.

Quick! Someone recommend me some cheap games (could be a little over what I have) so I don't end up buying hats.
It's a bit over your amount, but I've been loving Hoard. I recommend it.

Qwomo

InsertNameHere said:
This 'rounded graphics' thing or whatever for the LucasArts adventure games sucks. I didn't know it was on and I was like "I don't remember this game looking all weird and cartoonish." Turn that shit off, haha.
It's on by default? How do you turn it off?

Hakkuei

unpurposed said:
I have $2.51 left in my Steam Wallet.

Quick! Someone recommend me some cheap games (could be a little over what I have) so I don't end up buying hats.
MACHINARIUM.
Because it's the most beautiful game you will ever play. Just being able to listen to the soundtrack and look at the art is worth 10x the price.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Hakkuei said:
MACHINARIUM.
Because it's the most beautiful game you will ever play. Just being able to listen to the soundtrack and look at the art is worth 10x the price.

Add a buck to your Wallet and grab this. You owe it to yourself to play through the best point-and-click adventure title since The Curse of Monkey Island. The game is short (if you're cognitively inclined you'll finish it within 3-4 hours) but ever so sweet.

Petrie

Banned
Figured I'd ask this here as well as the other thread given this one is for cheap games:

Is there anyone who can tell me a bit about Freedom Force and how it holds up these days? The game just caught my eye, and looks like it could be awesome, but if it has been outclassed by it's modern equivalents then I'll pass on it. Thanks for anyone with some insight.

Caerith

Cat in the Hat said:
Book II is better in every way just about. Unless the story is important to you I'd go with Book II.
Is the story important? Is it, like, Book II starts off with Aragorn searching for Frodo and you're left wondering just who the hell this Boromir guy was? Or is it like Final Fantasy II where it has no connection to previous installments?

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Cat in the Hat said:
Book II is better in every way just about. Unless the story is important to you I'd go with Book II.

What irresponsible advice!

Yes book II is better but players need to start with Book 1.

LProtag

Qwomo said:
It's on by default? How do you turn it off?

Go to view and turn off graphic smoothing, or go to preferences and it should be under video there. At least that's what it is in Fate of Atlantis, I assume it's the same for the rest.

Aaron

bobbychalkers said:
I'm on the fence about Drakensang. There aren't that many English impressions on it.
Get River of Time and ignore the rest. It's a charming and low-key RPG, not all grim and dark like Dragon Age. Solid mechanics and a somewhat linear progression make it easy to pay through.

Gvaz

Banned
Mr_Zombie said:
Graphic filters are turned on on default, which makes the game looks just ugly. Just look at this:
97rzv7.jpg

Ugh.

What if that's how I played The Dig from start to finish and liked it?
emot-colbert.gif

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Gvaz said:
What if that's how I played The Dig from start to finish and liked it?
emot-colbert.gif
There's no reason you wouldn't enjoy the game if that's the way you played it.
It just looks worse.

Gvaz

Banned
Krev said:
There's no reason you wouldn't enjoy the game if that's the way you played it.
It just looks worse.
I played with all the filters and I decided on that one or at least a similar looking one and thought it was fine.

mrgone

Agent White said:
ended up getting just Atom Zombie Smasher and Capsized. got a few more bucks but i'll just get cthulhu/breathofdeath on the cheap in a couple days.
Between this for $3 and Dungeons of Dredmore on the 13th for $5, it's like another week of sales :)

I think I wanna buy the Longest Journey as it is hard to find it for that price normally. I am not too interested in the pack as the sequel is supposely not that good.

Been curious on Chime. I like puzzle games but I dont normally play them that much, so would it be a good choice for someone who wants a great puzzle game.

wilflare

Atom Zombie Smasher
Who's that Flying?!
Nation Red 4-Pack
Tiny Bang Story
AaaaaAAaaaAAA!!! + The Wonderful End of the World
Greed Corp 4-Pack
Multiwinia + Darwinia
Jamestown
Best of the Underground
The Longest Journey + Dreamfall
NyxQuest
Penny Arcade Adventures: Precipice of Darkness Combo Pack
The Polynomial
DogFighter - Four Pack
Cogs
Everyday Shooter
Garry's Mod
Plain Sight - Four Pack
The Mawesome Pack
Portal 2 - The Final Hours
Windosill
Super Laser Racer
Puzzle Bots
RUSH

any takes on the above?
wanted to double-dip on Toki, Flight Control HD and Zen Bound 2 (got them on iOS but thought I should save the money)

mrgone

SalsaShark said:
then From Dust

then Limbo
Oh man. I should cut up my goddamned credit card right now, but I havn't the strength.

storafötter said:
I think I wanna buy the Longest Journey as it is hard to find it for that price normally. I am not too interested in the pack as the sequel is supposely not that good.

Been curious on Chime. I like puzzle games but I dont normally play them that much, so would it be a good choice for someone who wants a great puzzle game.
Chime's pretty awesome. It's one of those "when it clicks it's bliss" games. For $1.25 I think it's worth a shot :)

dani_dc

wilflare said:
Atom Zombie Smasher
Who's that Flying?!
Nation Red 4-Pack
Tiny Bang Story
AaaaaAAaaaAAA!!! + The Wonderful End of the World
Greed Corp 4-Pack
Multiwinia + Darwinia
Jamestown
Best of the Underground
The Longest Journey + Dreamfall
NyxQuest
Penny Arcade Adventures: Precipice of Darkness Combo Pack
The Polynomial
DogFighter - Four Pack
Cogs
Everyday Shooter
Garry's Mod
Plain Sight - Four Pack
The Mawesome Pack
Portal 2 - The Final Hours
Windosill
Super Laser Racer
Puzzle Bots
RUSH

any takes on the above?
wanted to double-dip on Toki, Flight Control HD and Zen Bound 2 (got them on iOS but thought I should save the money)

Atom Zombie Smasher is rather fun (though I would recommend playing with some modifiers) and different from other games I played, it's can get a bit repetitive after a few hours though.

Penny Arcade Adventures games are neat RPGs, they're nothing special but they're decent and with some entertaining writing, I found them perfect to play while multitasking. Worth it for the price.

Portal 2 - The Final Hours is a really interesting article and insight at Valve and Portal 2 developement, it's worhty it if you enjoy that short of things.

Rush is similar to Chu-chu Rocket if you ever played that, it's fun but I found the puzzles to be a bit too much about trial and error (though that might just be me not being particularly good at it) and in some puzzles the angles make it hard to see parts of the field. Also to be noted that it's by the same developers of Toki Tori so it gets a good amount of support.

If you decide to get Greed Corp and have an extra copy left I'll glady trade NyxQuest for it.

Ainaurdur

AlberichMX said:
Thinking in Osmos, Eufloria, Garry's Mod & Zen Bound2? what do you think people o..O good choices?
Eufloria. The last thing I grabbed last night before logging out. Loving it so far. Great choice.

Gmod is great fun if you don't mind the fact it isn't really a game. Best played with some friends though.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Petrie said:
Figured I'd ask this here as well as the other thread given this one is for cheap games:

Freedom Force is still VERY much fun, and there isnt quite a game that did the same. I'd recommend going with the second though if you have a choice.

SpaceChem is fucking awesome. i put some more time into it and the game keeps on opening up. had a super satisfying moment solving the first double reactor puzzle. nothing like spending an hour trying to nail down that one last bond on the molecule, trying something radically different than i had been trying, and hitting it out of the park.

Gvaz said:
I played with all the filters and I decided on that one or at least a similar looking one and thought it was fine.
as if your daily "buy/avoid" posts didn't bring your taste into question enough already

My will has broken and I've decided to buy VtM: Bloodlines despite being way over my budget. Would it be worth getting Dreamfall + LJ pack too?

this is my thought process during these sales

OniShiro

Banned
toasty_T said:
My will has broken and I've decided to buy VtM: Bloodlines despite being way over my budget. Would it be worth getting Dreamfall + LJ pack too?

this is my thought process during these sales

I've done the opposite, bought Dreamfall + TLJ and will wait for VtM: Bloodlines to be around 5€ ( hopefully christmas? )

Sye d'Burns

I picked up Fuel for 6.69, mostly for the Freeride. Definitely feels worth it at that price. There's something to be said for 5500+ sq mi of post-apocalyptic driving goodness.

90 minutes to go! What to get? What to get? Last minute frenzy mode - engage.

Top Bottom