• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Last Day of Steam Sales | you're officially broke: indie game / cheap game spotlight

legend166

legend166 said:
Ok, this is what I've got:

%2525242B3E3C297DB5226.jpg

Anyone know any reason not to buy any of these games? General suckiness, incompatibility with Win7/nVidia, etc?

For the new page.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Baby Milo said:
my steam haul

Just cause 2

i may pick up frozen synapse it looks interesting

Very heartily recommended.

legend166 said:
For the new page.

Nope, you are good to go.

And I may add that you are in for a treat with a few of those. Good choices.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
chubigans said:
Alright, ALRIGHT. I'll by Spacechem.

<3

People are listening, even if it takes until the end of the sale until they are finally convinced. Good :p

And I cant imagine you'll be disappointed. You make complex games yourself, you should like it ;)

shintoki said:
Where do I find the modifiers at?

RE: Atomic Zombie Smasher
You may have to finish a campaign first. Win or lose. But after you do, when you start a new game at the bottom of the new game screen you can choose from like 12 modifiers and other parameters.

Toma

SapientWolf said:
And Toki Tori. I haven't felt that smart after solving puzzles since Braid.

Toki Tori was strange. I didnt get the appeal, and played through the first world already before the sale. But it finally clicked when I needed to do the achievement levels, there were some neat tricks to solve these and I finally understood what people love about it.

I assume the later levels are as tricky and even more interesting, but something about the game puts me off enough so that I almost always prefer other games over it. Not exactly sure what, though.

Owzers

is Drakensang so inferior to Drakensang:River of Time, that even though it's cheaper i should pass it up and get River of Time instead? Or is Drakensang still worth playing ( especially since it might run on my laptop better t han RoT...intel hd 3000 ftw)

Toma

Schmattakopf said:
No, I don't care how much money it is, you can't make me buy anything else.

Its not that AMAZING anyway. Its a really nice concept, but very short, not replayable and very dependent on how much you like "artsy" games.

I liked it, but its certainly not for many people.

Nirolak said:
How's Sanctum? Apparently like 50 GAFfers bought the game, but the OT has almost no posts.

If you like Tower Defense games, it's a lot of fun.
It is brutal, however, in terms of difficulty jumps.

Salsa

Toma said:
Its not that AMAZING anyway. Its a really nice concept, but very short, not replayable and very dependent on how much you like "artsy" games.

i loved it im such a hipster

legend166 said:
For the new page.

how bout the whole LucasArts adventure pack instead of just The Dig? they're all great games!

graywolf323 said:
wish I had seen that before buying it

oh well

no biggie, the HD textures patch is bound to come with some fixes

Toma said:

Actually after looking at the screenshots, I remember playing it. I don't know how because I don't own it, but I definitely played it.

Toma

graywolf323 said:
wish I had seen that before buying it

oh well

Haha, you have no idea how many of us fell into that trap when it first crossed Steam. So many disappointed posts when they released it barely functional and lots of people bought it before for the pe-purchase discount.

Toma

Schmattakopf said:
Actually after looking at the screenshots, I remember playing it. I don't know how because I don't own it, but I definitely played it.

There is a demo with half the levels, you probably tried that and deleted the Demo afterwards.

Edit: ...which is what everyone should do anyway. The whole game isnt that long, so you can see whether you really dig the style.

Gvaz

Banned
Anslon said:
Puzzle Kingdoms was really great. It has a few timed sections, but on the whole, it's really laid back. The idea behind the game is super simple, and the team building is fun too.
Puzzle Kingdoms was good, for like an hour. Like up until the part where it was really obvious the AI was a cheating son of a bitch.

After playing Puzzle Quest 2, there's no contest. PK is the poor man's Puzzle Quest 2.

BiggNife

Yeah, I second trying the Sanctum demo before buying it.

I definitely like what the game's going for, and it's certainly well made, but for someone who hasn't played much TD it's surprisingly tough. I'm pretty sure the game assumes you're an experienced TD player, which I'm not, so unfortunately I'm going to pass on it.

legend166

SalsaShark said:
how bout the whole LucasArts adventure pack instead of just The Dig? they're all great games!

I already own Fate of Atlantis, and I remember Last Crusade not being very good. And despite being a massive Lucas Arts adventure fanboy (I already own The Dig on CD), I don't know much about Loom.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Madrugador said:
Is Penny Arcade Adventures worth it?
Yes.

Do be aware, though, that there is no episode 3+, the games got cancelled and the end of the story only exists in text form on the Penny Arcade website.

That said, still WELL worth a buck and change. Easily.

Gvaz

Banned
Nirolak said:
How's Sanctum? Apparently like 50 GAFfers bought the game, but the OT has almost no posts.
Sanctum is awesome. There's only 4 Maps and 1 "endless only" map though. Graphics are nice and the implementation so far is pretty sound.

You have as much time to setup towers as you want and it's pretty easy on easy. In Co-op though every wave is tougher than the last so even on normal you have to do very well or you're screwed.

But I find it very chill so far, I've put 5 hours into it already in SP and MP.

LProtag

This 'rounded graphics' thing or whatever for the LucasArts adventure games sucks. I didn't know it was on and I was like "I don't remember this game looking all weird and cartoonish." Turn that shit off, haha.

Paprikka

Was going through the thread, adding games I thought sounded good, and before I knew it I had over $50 worth in my cart. So many tempting deals, but I knocked it down to half and in the end went with:
Eversion
Machinarium
Windosill
Toki Tori
The Longest Journey+Dreamfall
Aquaria
Nimbus

I think I spent more thanks to this thread than I did on daily deals.

Qwomo

legend166 said:
I already own Fate of Atlantis, and I remember Last Crusade not being very good. And despite being a massive Lucas Arts adventure fanboy (I already own The Dig on CD), I don't know much about Loom.
Get LOOM.

Gvaz

Banned
InsertNameHere said:
This 'rounded graphics' thing or whatever for the LucasArts adventure games sucks. I didn't know it was on and I was like "I don't remember this game looking all weird and cartoonish." Turn that shit off, haha.
What are you talking about? Example?

Htown said:
Yes.

Do be aware, though, that there is no episode 3+, the games got cancelled and the end of the story only exists in text form on the Penny Arcade website.

That said, still WELL worth a buck and change. Easily.

Thanks. Already bought :)

Really sad about the third episode, but I think I will still enjoy the series.

legend166 said:
LOOM_advert_in_Monkey_Island.png

Meier

If you redeem your tickets, do you still get prize drawing entries equaling the amount you earned? Or what you have left?

ended up getting just Atom Zombie Smasher and Capsized. got a few more bucks but i'll just get cthulhu/breathofdeath on the cheap in a couple days.

RiverBed

Banned
filipe said:
You'll severely handicap yourself using a controller. Buy it and use Keyboard and Mouse. Not used to it? Get used to it!
Yeah, I knew someone would say that. Thanks for the info, but it doesn't answer my question. Does anybody know if the PC BFBC2 can be played with a pad?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
RiverBed said:
Yeah, I knew someone would say that. Thanks for the info, but it doesn't answer my question. Does anybody know if the PC BFBC2 can be played with a pad?
Yes but you have to use one of those gamepad profilers and it will feel like shit because it isn't real pad support.

I have $2.51 left in my Steam Wallet.

Quick! Someone recommend me some cheap games (could be a little over what I have) so I don't end up buying hats.

Top Bottom