• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Last Day of Steam Sales | you're officially broke: indie game / cheap game spotlight

Atom Zombie Smasher is really addicting. I think I'm missing some key gameplay element, because I keep getting steamrolled after a bunch of zones go full zombie outbreak, but I keep coming back to it. :)

gregor7777 said:
Atom Zombie Smasher is really addicting. I think I'm missing some key gameplay element, because I keep getting steamrolled after a bunch of zones go full zombie outbreak, but I keep coming back to it. :)
My first campaign ended up a complete mess when level 4 zones started popping up. I'm in the middle of the second one and I think capturing zones early on (by killing all the infected before night) makes a big difference. That's what you should aim for as much as possible.

Goldrush

MrOogieBoogie said:
I've always been interested in NightSky but I hear the game looks very pixelated blown up to higher resolutions. Is this true?

Also, some impressions about these would be nice:

I-Fluid
The Path
The Polynomial - Space of the music
Aquaria
The UnderGarden
The Whispered World
The Longest Journey
Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars (should I bother with the others?)
Syberia (still not convinced on this one, not sure why)

You should definitely get the Broken Sword series from GoG.com. Both the first one and the sequel comes with both the original and the HD director cuts. Wait for a sale and then grab it.

Sober

Palette Swap said:
My first campaign ended up a complete mess when level 4 zones started popping up. I'm in the middle of the second one and I think capturing zones early on (by killing all the infected before night) makes a big difference. That's what you should aim for as much as possible.
Yeah, it takes a couple tries to get the hang of it. Hope to God the level 4 zones bunch up, because the llama bombs make quick work out of them. Same with the super arty, but you have to head down to use it.

Gilby

Palette Swap said:

I still haven't been able to beat a Normal length game, but Long games are easy. I'm better now after playing one of those. Normal mode ends at the hardest point in the game, both Short and Long are easier.

Keasar

Huh, I actually did fairly well this years Summer Steam Sale, didnt buy as much as I used to.

The sad thing is, the reason was that I pretty much already owned all the games I wanted from earlier sales. :<

Salsa

Last game i got was CreaVures

missed a couple of $1 games i wanted for that, counting on you ShironRedshift!

Hey guys,

I have a friend that is a very casual gamer. I picked up a copy of Faerie Solitaire for him and he loves it. Actually he has almost finished it in just 4 days.

I'm looking for something else for him. Something very light. He used to like Bejeweled, but I would really like something like Puzzle Quest but maybe a little less complicated?

Faerie Solitare seems to strike a really good balance of giving you a sense of narrative progression and item unlocks without making it too complex for someone who doesn't play games.

Basically I'm looking for something else that does that.

Palette Swap said:

I've never, not once, captured a <level 4 zone without the super bomb thing. I suck lol.

Gvaz

Banned
LastWindow said:
Any feedback on Avencast and Demensity?
Avencast is a kind of isometric diablo game I guess. You play a fledgling mage. It's pretty neat I really recommend giving it a shot.

Aaron

Kamaki said:
I posted this in the summer sale thread but it either moves to fast or no one knows the answer so I thought I'd post it here. Does anyone know if they fixed up the Oddbox? I know when it came it was kind of a mess. Mostly interested in Strangers Wrath as I always wanted to play it but that was the one with the most problems if I remember correctly.
Stranger's Wrath is still a mess, sadly.

Drat at this thread. I almost escaped this Steam Sale having only picked up Sam & Max Season 2....but then this thread made me pick up RUSH, Nimbus, and Eets. Curse you Steam! Curse yoooou!

gregor7777 said:
I've never, not once, captured a <level 4 zone without the super bomb thing. I suck lol.
Whenever you restart a campaign, you should try getting a capture on the first few level 1 zones. Snipers can be pretty good, particularly if you have items that can somehow change the flow of the zombie invasion.
Capturing stuff early on gives you a huge headstart in points (you'll need it later) and makes your guys level up faster, which in turn will make it easier to conquer zones rather than just evacuate them.

oneils

rando14 said:
Any words on Hazen?

It was the first one I've tried today after purchasing my "RPG Pack."

I've played it about 3 hours now. Have to say the art design and style is not unlike that of Torchlight. So it is pretty.

Some nice things about it.

1. Art design. Funky, kinda Torchlight/WoW like. Of course this is not nice if you don't like that kind of thing.​

2. Lots of hacking and slashing. So you will get your fill here.​

3. Very nice music (again, similar to that Torchlight - to the point that I wonder if they used the same composer?).​

There are some small issues that add up to annoyances.

1. You can create a profile for a character, but you can't have multiple save files for that character. You just keep overwriting the same save file.​

2. Skill system is fairly limited. That's not necessarily a bad thing. However, one annoying thing is that is very difficult to become "multi-class" as skills are dependent on what weapon is equipped. Want to cast a spell? You must have a staff equipped. So from what I can tell you can't really be a "spellsword." What I ended up doing is putting a staff, sword, and shield in the hot bar and switching through them that way.

3. Very limited camera movement. You can only zoom in or out. I have not figured out how to move the camera around your character.​

4. Slow. The animations are slow. This and number 2 bother me the most. Also, you point and click a point on the screen with your right mouse button to move. However, you can't just keep gliding the cursor along to move your PC. You actually have to keep clicking.​

In Brief

If I had to be brief about it.....uh, I guess I would say Torchlight does it better. Overall I think I will get my money's worth. If you have not picked up Torchlight, please play that instead. If you have played it I might suggest waiting until Torchlight 2. If you are really hard-up - what the heck - for 5 bucks its not so bad. However, you may feel unsatisfied.

Myself, I'm fairly satisfied. I'm hard up for decent Action RPGs on the PC so I thought I'd take a try.

edit: if you like, here is a gameplay video of the first 10 minutes of the game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TsJBIa6B54 Maybe this will give you an idea of whether you will like or not.

EternalGamer said:
Hey guys,

I have a friend that is a very casual gamer. I picked up a copy of Faerie Solitaire for him and he loves it. Actually he has almost finished it in just 4 days.

I'm looking for something else for him. Something very light. He used to like Bejeweled, but I would really like something like Puzzle Quest but maybe a little less complicated?

Faerie Solitare seems to strike a really good balance of giving you a sense of narrative progression and item unlocks without making it too complex for someone who doesn't play games.

Basically I'm looking for something else that does that.
Puzzle Kingdoms was really great. It has a few timed sections, but on the whole, it's really laid back. The idea behind the game is super simple, and the team building is fun too.

Okay, people, I know it's used to be cheaper as a daily, but buy SpaceChem, already. It's amazingly good. I'm disappointed it took me more than a day to try it out or I would have been shouting about it the whole day it was on sale.

It's gonna be high on the Game of the Year list for me. It's the very best kind of puzzle game. No trick problems. No trying to work backwards from what the designer was thinking. The solution to every puzzle is just think about it harder. Even the most convoluted, preposterous machine can work and it's probably beautiful.

gregor7777 said:

Yeah, it's really addictive. The inability to save is awful though, I was doing great yesterday, lot's of conquered territories and quited for a bite, when I came back I accidentaly clicked new campaign instead of continue :(

You should try flotilla too.

BomberMouse said:
Yeah, it's really addictive. The inability to save is awful though, I was doing great yesterday, lot's of conquered territories and quited for a bite, when I came back I accidentaly clicked new campaign instead of continue :(

You should try flotilla too.

You can save when you quit, and I believe it auto-saves transparently.

gregor7777 said:
You can save when you quit, and I believe it auto-saves transparently.

Yes, but you can't have multiple simultaneous campaings going on, so when I accidentally clicked New campaing it automatically erased my old campaign

dani_dc

BomberMouse said:
Yes, but you can't have multiple simultaneous campaings going on, so when I accidentally clicked New campaing it automatically erased my old campaign

It doesn't erase it. You can Load a different campaign in "File Manager" on the right.

Not particularly intuitive, but it's there.

Anslon said:
Puzzle Kingdoms was really great. It has a few timed sections, but on the whole, it's really laid back. The idea behind the game is super simple, and the team building is fun too.

Thanks for the suggestion. I am sure I would like that game, but I think it may be a bit much for him (he really doesn't play games at all).

But I think I found another game like Faerie Solitaire that might work well:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/38000/

Mahjong Quest.

Any other suggestions are still welcome, though!

BiggNife

RoboShmup said:
Is it still? I thought they fixed it up with patches. I'm about to purchase the Oddboxx, so can someone confirm this?
Yeah I was wondering about this too. I thought Stranger's Wrath had been significantly patched since it came out in December, but if it still runs like butt then I guess I'll wait.

legend166

How do the Commander Keen games hold up?

I'm expecting them to be old, obviously, but do they still play alright? And have they been modified to run on modern hardware? Using DosBOX emulation maybe?

dani_dc

RoboShmup said:
Is it still? I thought they fixed it up with patches. I'm about to purchase the Oddboxx, so can someone confirm this?
If I recall it's a mess on ATI/AMD cards but "fixed" on Nvidia.

Nelo Ice

Banned
so i cant decide i already got bloodlines the eschalon games and faire solitaire

atm im considering getting zen of sudoku, the mawesome pack and hammerfight

any of those worth? im thinking just the maw atm

Salsa

Nelo Ice said:
so i cant decide i already got bloodlines the eschalon games and faire solitaire

atm im considering getting zen of sudoku, the mawesome pack and hammerfight

any of those worth? im thinking just the maw atm

mawesome pack is definetly the best ouf ot those 3, and a steal at $3 with all the DLC

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
legend166 said:
How do the Commander Keen games hold up?

I'm expecting them to be old, obviously, but do they still play alright? And have they been modified to run on modern hardware? Using DosBOX emulation maybe?

They use Dosbox. They run fine.

The better of the Keen games are still super playable. Keen 3 was never really good to begin with and had a pretty serious impossible-to-properly-finish-the-game glitch to begin with (Spoiler, but you should probably read it if you intend to finish the game:
This level has a normal and alternate exit; it is impossible to get to the normal exit
). Keen 1 is pretty simple but still has some great level design and characters. Keen 2, 4, and 5 are all worth playing as well.

Keen 6 and Keen Dreams are not included due to licensing issues surrounding both.

3EmAr.gif
3EmAr.gif
3EmAr.gif

RE: Atom Zombie Smasher

IMO the modifier to pick your mercs before the map starts should be part of the main game. Feels like cheating but I can't imagine I'll ever beat the game without it. Kind of frustrating.

legend166

Anyone know about Commander Keen?

I just said to myself I would spend $30-$40 and it's sitting in my cart and I'm itching to pull the trigger.

So far I've got:

Aquaria
Jagged Alliance 2/Disciples 2 Gold Combo
Machinarium
Commander Keen
VVVVV

Total of $20.74.

Edit: Didn't see stump's post. Thanks.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
gregor7777 said:
RE: Atom Zombie Smasher

IMO the modifier to pick your mercs before the map starts should be part of the main game. Feels like cheating but I can't imagine I'll ever beat the game without it. Kind of frustrating.
Where do I find the modifiers at?

RiverBed

Banned
Hey guys, I have Bad Company 2 on PS3 and LOVING it. If I buy this on PC, can I play with a Dualshock 3?
I want to double dip due to the Vietnam package being cheaper on PC than PSN.

filipe

RiverBed said:
Hey guys, I have Bad Company 2 on PS3 and LOVING it. If I buy this on PC, can I play with a Dualshock 3?
I want to double dip due to the Vietnam package being cheaper on PC than PSN.

You'll severely handicap yourself using a controller. Buy it and use Keyboard and Mouse. Not used to it? Get used to it!

legend166

Ok, this is what I've got:

%2525242B3E3C297DB5226.jpg

Anyone know any reason not to buy any of these games? General suckiness, incompatibility with Win7/nVidia, etc?

Top Bottom