• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lance McDonald fully patches Bloodborne to run at 60fps on PS4 PRO and plans to release it if the game is still capped at 30 on PS5

Yoboman

I just know it .. it’s on PS Plus Collection , all that games were enhanced for nextgen
That has never been said

They will be able to use boost mode if the game has an unlocked frame rate and/or dynamic resolution

Bloodborne might get a solid 30 fps, they will need to patch it to get anything else though

vkbest

Bloodborne should be in the Top 100 for boost mode. But it's nice to see the dedication.

Bloodborne didn’t have patch even on Pro. Was a game from From, the game broken if you lock the game to 60fps. It’s not only unlock framerate, you need patch the game like this guy did. Before Sony patch in this I’m sure they would release a remaster

Bloodborne didn’t have patch even on Pro. Was a game from From, the game broken if you lock the game to 60fps. It’s not only unlock framerate, you need patch the game like this guy did. Before Sony patch in this I’m sure they would release a remaster

It will be interesting. Cause Bloodborne definitely falls into the Top 100. I can see it only getting a resolution bump too.

Last edited:

The Shepard

I'm very supprised sony didn't see the obvious money maker with bloodborne and packing a remaster version along with a ultimate edition demons souls like there doing with spiderman. This game will likely get a boost mode but a patch would have to uncapped that 30fps. This game definitely deserves 4k 60fps.

RedVIper

Banned
Because its most likely not up to Sony, its up to FROM as they were the ones contracted to develop the game and as such are the ones responsible for the code and any modifications to it. And if FROM don't want to/cant spare the time/manpower at the moment... I'm not sure if Sony could do anything themselves about it.

Sony own the IP. And I doubt From would stop them.

Its honestly a weird grey area legally speaking. And I honestly hope Lance isn't so foolish as to distribute the patch. You don't bait corporations into situations where they feel obliged for the sake of precedent to act.

Modifying games isn't illegal. Wtf are you on about.

Soodanim

Its honestly a weird grey area legally speaking. And I honestly hope Lance isn't so foolish as to distribute the patch. You don't bait corporations into situations where they feel obliged for the sake of precedent to act.
I’m not sure it is. If he doesn’t release anything but the patch he’s not redistributing any code or content that belongs to a third party. Similar to how emulators that don’t come with a BIOS are fine.

Pejo

God damn Ludwig's moveset with the MLGS looks fucking amazing in 60FPS. Also loving how the hair flows naturally for the beast bosses. What a huge improvement, and I'm not generally a FPS puritan.

tryDEATH

Its all fun and games when console trolling about Sony's BC, but when avid and loyal fans are having to step up for Sony for rather common sense features it makes it a real downer, because you can see the genuine passion for these games.

The optics for this whole BC/60FPS debacle from Sony in regards to back compatible is starting to look like really amateurish.

Mr Moose

1 and 2 shouldn’t be an issue because ds1:r is 60fps already and ds2 runs at an unlocked framerate.

ds3, bloodborne need to be patched and hopefully they will (I’m pretty sure sekiro is unlocked hence the 60fps test on series x)

1 and 2 shouldn’t be an issue because ds1:r is 60fps already and ds2 runs at an unlocked framerate.

ds3, bloodborne need to be patched and hopefully they will (I’m pretty sure sekiro is unlocked hence the 60fps test on series x)
As already said DS3 was already patched on Pro (not on XBX) with an uncapped framerate. And as the game is already 1080p the game on PS5 will be 1080p60fps.

Bankai

Didn't he "just" lower the resolution to 720p & uncap the framerate (limit = 60)? That's not optimizing, pretty cool nonetheless.

Cato

Banned
I sincerely doubt they will go back and patch Bloodborne to unlock the frame rate for PS5. If they do anything, they'll release a remaster with 60fps, 4K support, upgraded textures and lighting, and charge you $70 for the privilege.

I would gladly pay 70$ for a remaster. I wouldn't turn down a patch to make the ps4 version run at 60fps
but if I get the opportunity to get a full remaster: my wallet is ready and willing.

Unfortunately I don;t think a remaster is going to happen :-(

Hostile_18

Banned
And that's to all those who said it would be far too much money and dev resources to patch "old" games (raise Res and Fps code) in the other thread 😜

Blizzje

And that's to all those who said it would be far too much money and dev resources to patch "old" games (raise Res and Fps code) in the other thread 😜

I may be wrong but it shouldn't really take a lot of effort to up res to 3840 x 2160 and upping framerate cap to 60 in a game you spent years working on. If I personally worked on games, I would want to look the very best on the new machines.

T-Cake

Kinda weak Sony never patched it to run at 60fps on the pro.

The thinking behind this is that it didn't match the PS4 Pro's launch marketing.

Sony: Here comes the PS4 Pro - brand new machine capable of playing games at 4K resolution on your spangly new TV!

(But it unfortunately comes with the same Jaguar series CPU which means to get 60fps, we need to reduce the resolution accordingly.)

Sony: Look! Here comes the PS4 Pro - brand new machine capable of playing games at 4K resolution on your spangly new TV! And here's Bloodborne at 60fps at 1080p.

Joe Public: LMAO. PS4 Pro can't do 4K after all! 😂

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I’m not sure it is. If he doesn’t release anything but the patch he’s not redistributing any code or content that belongs to a third party. Similar to how emulators that don’t come with a BIOS are fine.

Its actionable on multiple grounds; circumvention of copy protection, decompilation of and modification of proprietary code, appropriation of IP name, etc. All the laws that fundamentally are only there to protect enterprise from large scale commercial exploitation/espionage still apply, its just that generally its not worth the hassle of litigating so they let its slide.

The only time this doesn't hold true is when the IP holder feels like the infringement is being rubbed in their faces, at which point they will feel compelled to act. Especially so if the product/IP is still a viable commercial prospect, because that gives grounds to assert fiscal harm.

Not arguing the morality of this at all, just the legal realities as I see them.

The problem for Lance is that he's gained a fair amount of attention (and rightly so) for his good works, and he's never hidden his methodologies. So legally, he wouldn't have leg to stand on, and all he'd achieve would be to put himself at loggerheads with Sony/FROM by making them look bad or weak comparatively.

In its way its like "don't ask, don't tell"... what's generally accepted and what's not depends on how much attention it gains.

The bottom line is that if this was a patch for a PC game, noone would give a shit. That its a mod for a console-only title that requires a cracked PS4 to apply makes it a much bigger target, because no doubt Sony would prefer as few people as possible to know that you can break the protection on their hardware and they sure as hell wouldn't want anything that encourages and/or promotes the practice getting highlighted. Not to mention the aforementioned "embarrassment" factor.

Paltheos

Didn't he "just" lower the resolution to 720p & uncap the framerate (limit = 60)? That's not optimizing, pretty cool nonetheless.

No, he explains this in the video. In the basic debug options there's a line outright for FPS, but it doesn't change the ratio of frames/time when you raise the FPS, so you end up running at double speed when you set it to 60. As for the assets in the game itself, much of the logic already accommodates 60fps but many other elements of the game (attack animations, doors/elevators, and a bunch of other stuff I don't remember off the top of my head) had to be manually retimed to 60fps.

The 720p part is absolutely true though. He mentions that near the end of the video. The game upscales to 1080p but this is still a tradeoff.

YCoCg

Didn't he "just" lower the resolution to 720p & uncap the framerate (limit = 60)? That's not optimizing,
I mean if you stopped watching the video after the first step, sure, but he then went on to detail what's still broken, what he had to do to fix it, etc, such as optimising the animation system to expect an unlocked framerate instead of the manual set 30, etc.

Top Bottom