• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lance McDonald (Bloodborne modder): Bloodborne PC leaks were fake. Bluepoint Sony contract expired.

Papacheeks

Banned
You’ve dedicated six paragraphs to a wild eyed Xbox fanboy fever dream fantasy. All of these quotes are taken out of context with the most insane Xbox conspiracy theory attached to it. You’re Setting yourself up for disappointment my dude.

Sure. Lol. You'll see soon.

yurinka

-closing down Japanese studios and people leaving and focusing on the west and abandoning your heritage. Sony was always a Japanese company first and foremost.
Bullshit, they didn't close Japanese studios and didn't abandon their Japanese heritage or whatever. Both Japanese studios will continue making 1st party games, and they will continue having Japanese 2nd and 3rd party exclusives. In PS4 they had exclusives from every single known Japanese publisher and dev and there's no sign of this going to change, in fact they recently secured ties with Kadokawa (who owns like half a dozen game publishing labels, several dev studios including From Software and many big manga and anime IPs).

Did they move the 2nd party publishing and localization part from Japan Studio to merge it into the global PlayStation Studios team? Yes, in the same way they did it with the 2nd party publishing and localization part from USA and Europe.

They downsized and closed some dev teams inside Japan Studio? Yes, in the same way they did it before for those European and American team that were downsized or completely shut down (Liverpool, Evolution, etc) after releasing several unprofitable games and not a single hit. Did they have more patience with Japan Studios than with their American and European teams because Japan Studio didn't develop a single hit and many unprofitable games being some of them huge money pits? Yes.

-Their communication lately has been absolute dog shit and contradicting.
Please can you provide a source with one single example where they contradicted?

-Announcing God of War for 2021 in their September event. It was so obvious they knew themselves they weren't gonna make it anyways and it feels like they teased it for 2021 right before PS5 launch just to move more sales right before pre orders opened. How is this not arrogance?
Bullshit. They announced it for 2021 because they thought were going able to release it late 2021. Development time would fit with the one they needed for the previous games and they have been growing since then. And as of today, until gets delayed, will continue being a game planned for 2021.

AJUMP23

I don't know that I believe the Sony Blupoint thing. They may be between contracts or something but I doubt Sony would let them go unfunded without work.

Perrott

Gold Member
Imagine Playstation breaking ties with Bluepoints after all those remasters, that would be a total shitshow...then again, it is new management, so...
The end of said contract only means that no more resources would be put into the Demon's Souls remake project (which was developed by Bluepoint), not that PlayStation and Bluepoint won't be working together again in future projects smh.

It's amazing how people read only what they wan't to read in every news - I'm not saying this because of you, Keihart, it is more of a general statement.

This! Both the MS buying metal gear and this one are taken out of context quotes and/or authors wishes added then “rumor” plastered next to it. We’ve reached the point where wild eyed out of the blue rumors where MS is just running the industry now and Sony can’t get anything right narrative has become so consistent that i can’t help but feel these are coordinated hit jobs. I’d say that’s a good thing for Sony btw.

they've been caught with their pants down before so i wouldnt be surprised. i saw the chats about them last year making up ideas of how to spread negativity and misinformation. these guys are some truly hardcore extreme fanboys we're talking about. their every waking moment is probably centered around it. the funny thing is their efforts have no effect in the real world at all. they're irrelevant and not even a drop in the ocean. its actually scary how people can waste away time with something like that.

Dabaus

Banned
The end of said contract only means that no more resources would be put into the Demon's Souls remake project (which was developed by Bluepoint), not that PlayStation and Bluepoint won't be working together again in future projects smh.

It's amazing how people read only what they wan't to read in every news - I'm not saying this because of you, Keihart, it is more of a general statement.
THIS!
they've been caught with their pants down before so i wouldnt be surprised. i saw the chats about them last year making up ideas of how to spread negativity and misinformation. these guys are some truly hardcore extreme fanboys we're talking about. their every waking moment is probably centered around it. the funny thing is their efforts have no effect in the real world at all. they're irrelevant and not even a drop in the ocean. its actually scary how people can waste away time with something like that.
Forgot about that. I hope theyre at least getting paid!

Alienware

I'm just buying an Xbox soon. Sony is messing up this gen so bad. Already have a PS5 but wow. First the MGS rumors and now this!
Well, define "soon".
I seriously doubt you'll be playing anything worth your time that isn't also on PS5 (or hasn't been already on Xbox for ages) anytime "soon".

yurinka

Sony keeps saying they will embrace PC gaming all the time, but god damn what a slow and messy job they are doing. Sony doesn't need Bluepoint to make a remaster for PC as the game still looks pretty good and they honestly just need to up the resolution, add a menu option to disable that horrible chromatic aberration filter and add support for M/K controls and the PC-version is good to go. I still think Blodborne will come to PC eventually because it would sell like crazy there and easily surpass the PS4 sales as it absolutely flopped on console with just 2-3 million sales.
Yes, Sony doesn't need Bluepoint to make a PS5/PC Bloodborne port adding a few things like 60fps and increased resolution, nothing more would be needed. They can hire anybody else to do it. Bluepoint is more a remake studio instead of a porting studio, it wouldn't make sense to waste their time doing that.

Ideally Sony would hire From Software themselves to make PS5 and PC versions, but right now they are busy with Elder Ring.

I think BP has good relationship with japan studio. Since japan studio is closed, it won't surprise me if sie terminate the contract with BP

Bullshit, they didn't close Japanese studios and didn't abandon their Japanese heritage or whatever. Both Japanese studios will continue making 1st party games, and they will continue having Japanese 2nd and 3rd party exclusives. In PS4 they had exclusives from every single known Japanese publisher and dev and there's no sign of this going to change, in fact they recently secured ties with Kadokawa (who owns like half a dozen game publishing labels, several dev studios including From Software and many big manga and anime IPs).

Did they move the 2nd party publishing and localization part from Japan Studio to merge it into the global PlayStation Studios team? Yes, in the same way they did it with the 2nd party publishing and localization part from USA and Europe.

They downsized and closed some dev teams inside Japan Studio? Yes, in the same way they did it before for those European and American team that were downsized or completely shut down (Liverpool, Evolution, etc) after releasing several unprofitable games and not a single hit. Did they have more patience with Japan Studios than with their American and European teams because Japan Studio didn't develop a single hit and many unprofitable games being some of them huge money pits? Yes.

Please can you provide a source with one single example where they contradicted?

Bullshit. They announced it for 2021 because they thought were going able to release it late 2021. Development time would fit with the one they needed for the previous games and they have been growing since then. And as of today, until gets delayed, will continue being a game planned for 2021.
Bullshit. :)

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Tons of crow to be served this summer to those who believe that Sony is done working with Bluepoint and to our boy Lance McDonald who doesn't know that a Bloodborne remaster is in the works.
I dont know if I necessarily believe it, but there is enough here to at least warrant a discussion.

Lance McDonalds has sources within Bluepoint, and he is no Dusk Golem. He literally says he doesnt know if its in the works, and literally pointed out that the PC port rumors were fake and that he has proof. That to me lends him credibility. I dont want this to be true, but I dont know if discussing this entitles me to accept a serving of crow later on.

Papacheeks

Banned
Wasnt it resetera who said that bloodborne is coming for PC? Fuck that unreliable shit forum.

Same person leaked Days gone for PC and that comes out literally in like a month. More PC games from SONY are coming. It depends on scope of work for bloodborne, it's code is kind of a mess. God of war should be later this year like early fall.

No clue on Uncharted collection. But rumor was it was going to include golden abyss.

Perrott

Gold Member
I dont know if I necessarily believe it, but there is enough here to at least warrant a discussion.

Lance McDonalds has sources within Bluepoint, and he is no Dusk Golem. He literally says he doesnt know if its in the works, and literally pointed out that the PC port rumors were fake and that he has proof. That to me lends him credibility. I dont want this to be true, but I dont know if discussing this entitles me to accept a serving of crow later on.
The Bloodborne remaster is not in development at Bluepoint, so clearly he won't know about it via his contacts over at said studio. That said, I agree with him in that several rumors from last year were wrong on many levels (most notably PC Gaming Inquisition's video).

Last edited:

Papacheeks

Banned
The Bloodborne remaster is not in development at Bluepoint, so clearly he won't know about it via his contacts over at said studio.

Yea, thats what I've heard. Similar to Horizon, it's another contracted studio. I do wonder who is working on PC version of God of war?

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Yea, thats what I've heard. Similar to Horizon, it's another contracted studio. I do wonder who is working on PC version of God of war?
Didnt the era insiders say that Bluepoint was working on MGS remakes for Sony? And that the acquisition was imminent?

How would that info reconcile with Demon Souls not getting basic support after launch? Surely if they were still working with Sony, let alone being acquired, they would be more open to supporting recently released games like Demon Souls.

More FUD and rumor mongering. “Contract expired” could mean anything. These kind of studios always have multiple projects going on. They don’t need to update Demon’s Souls because that game is rock solid. Could be that one contract is up because the game came out last year and everyone is acting like the sky is falling because drama.

Perrott

Gold Member
Didnt the era insiders say that Bluepoint was working on MGS remakes for Sony? And that the acquisition was imminent?

How would that info reconcile with Demon Souls not getting basic support after launch? Surely if they were still working with Sony, let alone being acquired, they would be more open to supporting recently released games like Demon Souls.
I assume that, as soon as they finished their work on Demon's Souls, the staff was moved into the MGS remake which at the time was targeting an early 2021 reveal (due to Covid, plans now seem to revolve around an announcement during the summer).

MrS

Banned
If MS are able to get their hands on Bluepoint, it will be a major blow to Sony. No idea what Sony are doing if this is true. Bluepoint are great.

Papacheeks

Banned

Like I said in another thread I heard from some people in the know Sony wasnt the only company they were talking to for projects. I dont know if it went beyond talks or if they are working on 2 projects for 2 different platforms. I know they had 2 projects in the works in 2020, and had talked to Microsoft in like mid-late 2018.

If they did sign off on making something for Microsoft then, that would be your answer for not being bought right now. Because their valuation would go up, and to a point, sony will not pay billions for one studio. They are worth a good amount right now.

If they are doing the full remake of MGS then that would explain why they would not be the studio remastering Bloodborne. I think thats coming from another third party. But Bluepoint is a 2 team studio. When they finished on Shadow they had already started on Souls previously and were in talks with Microsoft for a possible contracted game. Thats all I know, it could have fallen through depending how much of the studio was developing demon souls, and how many were working on Sony's second project.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Star Trek Work GIF

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Some people don't understand that not all studios are for sale, and bigger companies won't overpay the studio to get them which means a very stupid investment.

Papacheeks

Banned
Some people don't understand that not all studios are for sale, and bigger companies won't overpay the studio to get them which means a very stupid investment.

Bluepoint is not stupid investment. Owning a studio that seems to understand how to do remakes/remasters better than anyone is a treasure trove to have.

And if they remake a game with broad appeal like something akin to FF7R then they will sell gangbusters on which ever platform buys them. It depends if they are even for sale.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Hmm, I don't know if I believe this. Sony's relationship with BPG has been stellar. I can't imagine they'd sever their ties with them. That'd be such a incredibly bizarre move.

Maybe you didn't get what he's saying, but Bluepoint's contract has expired so for further work Sony needs to renew a shorter one or sign them again for another project. They are independent as always and won't say no for future projects.

People think that every studio wants to be acquired. Sony tried with Kojima but he said that he wants to be independent and they respect that and helped him massively to stand on his feet. He's actually very grateful for them if anything.

Last edited:

Jaysen

Banned
A company like Bluepoint can’t survive sitting around doing nothing. They must be working on something right now. The assumption was it was for Sony. If not them, who?

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Bluepoint is not stupid investment. Owning a studio that seems to understand how to do remakes/remasters better than anyone is a treasure trove to have.

And if they remake a game with broad appeal like something akin to FF7R then they will sell gangbusters on which ever platform buys them. It depends if they are even for sale.

Bluepoint are the best in the gaming industry when it comes to remakes so far, but I'm more than sure they're not for sale or don't want to be under the shade of a bigger corporate even if it was a passionate, caring company like Sony.

Last edited:

SoraNoKuni

Doubt, huge doubt.

I am pretty sure they are already working on something for Sony.

Also I cannot believe the bells easter eggs on DS isn't a reference on an inside project.

MiguelItUp

Maybe you didn't get what he's saying, but Bluepoint's contract has expired so for further work Sony needs to renew a shorter one or sign them again for another project. They are independent as always and won't say no for future projects.

People think that every studio wants to be acquired. Sony tried with Kojima but he said that he wants to be independent and respect that and helped him massively to stand on his feet. He's actually very grateful for them if anything.
Nah, I totally understood, haha. I think I probably just could've worded it better as I just woke up, whoops!

That's the thing though, I can't imagine they wouldn't renew their contract with them, is kind of what I was referring to.

Yeah, I think a lot of people are still caught up in the "____ WANTS TO BUY STUDIOS" thing. I know it felt like quite a bit was getting scooped up left and right here and there. But it doesn't mean EVERYONE is about that life, haha. Exactly!

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Nah, I totally understood, haha. I think I probably just could've worded it better as I just woke up, whoops!

That's the thing though, I can't imagine they wouldn't renew their contract with them, is kind of what I was referring to.

Yeah, I think a lot of people are still caught up in the "____ WANTS TO BUY STUDIOS" thing. I know it felt like quite a bit was getting scooped up left and right here and there. But it doesn't mean EVERYONE is about that life, haha. Exactly!

Yeah I think it takes so much time. Because when you're under a bigger entity you get your free food and constant salaries, but share a massive sum of your output with them. And your decision making would always be influenced or even canned if doesn't go to the corporate plans.

Working with Sony gives you so much perks not available with others: Access to massive library of assets from their VFX side of business in Sony Pictures, get a generous flow of money when your idea has the potential, have more of a loose grip as Jeff explained at Jaffe's review, no extreme deadlines but more caring about the final quality. Might get assist from other entertainment branches further than what described, like CGI is made in-house, modeling as well, experienced consultation from Hollywood movie/series makers, Sony Music as many games got that fine, perfect shine with their OST's.

You can still save so much money to even push things further more with access to such diverse company. Not to mention Sony's Atom View engine is also used in gaming, which showed the frame budget assets streaming with only one LOD way before UE5 in 2017 (Sony bought then in 2019 though).

This is why most of Sony's big hitters are on another level compared to the industry.

Last edited:

Great Hair

Banned
Bluepoint stated they had to outsource, else they would not have been able to finish Demon´s Souls. While they kept the gameplay intact, the game "feels different". Some enemies, bosses outright look bad or "wrong" (Maneater, Mind Flayer Bell, Flamelurker etc.).

I don´t want them to remake MGS1 to 3 or Bloodborne. If you can not stay faithful to the original, then you should not be in charge of any "restoration".

Talking Season 3 GIF by The Simpsons

Yeah, I can specify how.

$10 price tag increase, you now have to pay $70. Although, you could argue that its because game dev budgets are getting crazy now. However, they almost attempted to sell you a shit game called Destruction All Stars (that's already dead, even after going on PS+ when it came out. Very hard to matchmake with people cause no one plays it)

Returnal looks good but most people I do not think are willing to shell out $70 for it.

-closing down Japanese studios and people leaving and focusing on the west and abandoning your heritage. Sony was always a Japanese company first and foremost.

-they stopped attending E3 which just reeks of "We're good enough people will buy our shit anyways, fuck everyone else.

-Their communication lately has been absolute dog shit and contradicting.

-Announcing God of War for 2021 in their September event. It was so obvious they knew themselves they weren't gonna make it anyways and it feels like they teased it for 2021 right before PS5 launch just to move more sales right before pre orders opened. How is this not arrogance?

Oh also, I work in the game industry myself and have concluded over 60 interviews across many different developers and publishers throughout in my years starting from 2013 and to now. And attended every single E3 since that time.

You could see changes every single year with companies and how they would treat the media questions and the type of answers you'd get.

While I never had a bad experience per say for the most part, you can still how their attitudes towards things would still change.
Leaving E3 isn't arrogant it's smart, it doesn't mean what it used to and every year people just leave disappointed. E3 is nothing more than 2 minute cinematic trailers with maybe 20 seconds of gameplay cut in at best, it's a joke now. When we had live game demonstrations on stage etc it meant something now it's just a commercial. Just look at how MS does the Xbox shows, CGI trailers, and then 90 minutes of basically sizzle reel, you don't need a conference for that. It's better to do it on your own time when your studios are ready to show something AND when you don't need to share the stage with everyone else over those few days. It also saves millions of dollars.

The $10 price hike is responsible business, they don't make a lot of games that have backend monetization and I'd rather they raised the price up front than start trying to build games around microtransactions to cover the costs. Do I wish we didn't have to pay the extra $10? sure but I also understand why it's there, we haven't hade a price hike on games in 2 generations even though the costs of making games has gone up. I remember paying $70+ for some N65 games so it's not like this is unheard of.

Closing studios in Japan is again just a childish fit some are having on forums, they've closed European and American studios in the past as well. Sony is based out of Japan and that's where it started but it's a global company now and it has been that way for a long time. Some keep complaining about "oh this guy who made a good game 10 years ago left" how does that matter now? What did Japan studio do on their own last gen that was worth a damn?

Announcing god of war didn't do a thing to move sales, they were going to be sold out for months even without the pandemic, now they'll probably be selling out every shipment the day the retailers put them up through the end of the year. Is MS arrogant for constantly announcing games 3-4 years ahead of time with CG trailers? They do it all the time now, Spencer is all talk but because he actually does talk to the media he gets a free pass constantly.

Talking to the media doesn't bother me one bit, gaming "journalism" is trash these days, people don't just cover things they have to offer "their take" etc and make it about how they feel about what was said vs just letting an interview speak for it's self.

Leaving E3 isn't arrogant it's smart, it doesn't mean what it used to and every year people just leave disappointed. E3 is nothing more than 2 minute cinematic trailers with maybe 20 seconds of gameplay cut in at best, it's a joke now. When we had live game demonstrations on stage etc it meant something now it's just a commercial. Just look at how MS does the Xbox shows, CGI trailers, and then 90 minutes of basically sizzle reel, you don't need a conference for that. It's better to do it on your own time when your studios are ready to show something AND when you don't need to share the stage with everyone else over those few days. It also saves millions of dollars.

The $10 price hike is responsible business, they don't make a lot of games that have backend monetization and I'd rather they raised the price up front than start trying to build games around microtransactions to cover the costs. Do I wish we didn't have to pay the extra $10? sure but I also understand why it's there, we haven't hade a price hike on games in 2 generations even though the costs of making games has gone up. I remember paying $70+ for some N65 games so it's not like this is unheard of.

Closing studios in Japan is again just a childish fit some are having on forums, they've closed European and American studios in the past as well. Sony is based out of Japan and that's where it started but it's a global company now and it has been that way for a long time. Some keep complaining about "oh this guy who made a good game 10 years ago left" how does that matter now? What did Japan studio do on their own last gen that was worth a damn?

Announcing god of war didn't do a thing to move sales, they were going to be sold out for months even without the pandemic, now they'll probably be selling out every shipment the day the retailers put them up through the end of the year. Is MS arrogant for constantly announcing games 3-4 years ahead of time with CG trailers? They do it all the time now, Spencer is all talk but because he actually does talk to the media he gets a free pass constantly.

Talking to the media doesn't bother me one bit, gaming "journalism" is trash these days, people don't just cover things they have to offer "their take" etc and make it about how they feel about what was said vs just letting an interview speak for it's self.
In regards to Japan Studios closing - So according to you - It would totally be okay as well for Nintendo to abandon their Japanese developers as well and be a global company too? Good stuff.

In regards to your God of War Statement - Yes, announcing your biggest and most hyped sequel to popular franchise 100% did not raise the hype or moved the sales in any shape or form. I should hire you as my personal marketing strategist. Good insight.

In regards to the Media - Of course it would not bother you, you do not work in the media while I do and it affects my job in many different ways. It also completely changes how marketing, hype and consumer psychology is being handled.

Yes I agree, most journalism is actually trash, that is the only thing I will agree with you here but that's it and its usually trash only because it focuses on political shit as opposed to actual games themselves.

Three

I guess blue tinted glasses would work.
Or your green ones. Aesthetically you might like the DLC but to say DeS is much better looking isn't some insane thought. Hivebusters has more action and more colourful/lush or varied environments and you might like it more but I've got to agree with the other guy. Played the DLC on max on PC and DeS on PS5. They are not graphically even in the same league to me.

In terms of texture detail, world polygon detail and lighting (GI) DeS is definitely next gen:

Compared to the details on max settings PC Hivebusters:

Make sure you watch them in 4k.
It's annoying that considerable effort was put in by Bluepoint to make a next gen only game with amazing visuals and amazing load times and here you are downplaying the crap out of it as 'not a next gen game' so you can tow the the company line for your plastic box. Be objective and discuss the pros and cons of each. If somebody has a different opinion don't try and dismiss them with the usual fanboy drivel.

Last edited:
Gears 5 graphics are highly overrated, no way it's even in the same league as Demon's Souls remake. Everything in gears looks very artificial, they made a lot of sacrifices to keep that things 60fps on consoles.

manfestival

Or your green ones. Aesthetically you might like the DLC but to say DeS is much better looking isn't some insane thought. Hivebusters has more action and more colourful/lush or varied environments and you might like it more but I've got to agree with the other guy. Played the DLC on max on PC and DeS on PS5. They are not graphically even in the same league to me.

In terms of texture detail, world polygon detail and lighting (GI) DeS is definitely next gen:

Compared to the details on max settings PC Hivebusters:

Make sure you watch them in 4k.
It's annoying that considerable effort was put in by Bluepoint to make a next gen only game with amazing visuals and amazing load times and here you are downplaying the crap out of it as 'not a next gen game' so you can tow the the company line for your plastic box. Be objective and discuss the pros and cons of each. If somebody has a different opinion don't try and dismiss them with the usual fanboy drivel.

You are saying to be objective while pointing out one game was developed to be an exclusive to a new console generation. The other is a game that was developed for the previous while allowing for some feature improvements over the BASE(console) version of the game. That isn't an objective comparison at all. Apples and oranges. inb4 doubling down

Dr Bass

You are saying to be objective while pointing out one game was developed to be an exclusive to a new console generation. The other is a game that was developed for the previous while allowing for some feature improvements over the BASE(console) version of the game. That isn't an objective comparison at all. Apples and oranges. inb4 doubling down
You're kinda arguing the dude's point you know ...

Top Bottom