• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lance McDonald (Bloodborne modder): Bloodborne PC leaks were fake. Bluepoint Sony contract expired.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
So Lance McDonalds who released the 60 fps patch for Bloodborne, and has been invited to Bluepoint Games in the past, tweeted this a couple of days ago. Didnt see it get posted.

Lots of juicy info here. He talked to devs who were rumored to be porting Bloodborne to PC and they denied it. Then he looked into the leakers and after some research found the source, and found it to be 100% fake. (Looks to me that it was the 9 tflops FUD brigade)

What's more interesting is what he said about Bluepoint;s contract with Sony. Apparently Sony terminated their contract with Bluepoint pretty much right after launch so fast Bluepoint didnt even get a chance to add ability to delete characters. I wonder what Bluepoint is working on now because it doesnt seem like they are working with Sony.

Not re-upping a contract with Bluepoint would be a huge mistake. Sony should acquire them and start “organically” growing that studio.

they are very efficient, create brilliant remakes, and launched a next-gen game when nobody else could

hopefully this info is inaccurate. If not, what is wrong with Sony? Making hand over fist money in a launch year yet they are being extremely conservative with re-investment

Last edited:

Fredrik

Not re-upping a contract with Bluepoint would be a huge mistake. Sony should acquire them and start “organically” growing that studio.

they are very efficient, create brilliant remakes, and launched a next-gen game when nobody else could

hopefully this info is inaccurate. If not, what is wrong with Sony? Making hand over fist money in a launch year yet they are being extremely conservative with re-investment
Yeah I have a hard time believing this tbh. Late april fools joke?

ManaByte

It's still just a prettified old game. Patched Gears 5 with Hivebusters is absolutely on par with it, but wouldn't call it next gen game either.
Hivebusters looks better.
Awkward Season 4 GIF by The Office

Calverz

Wow im surprised to hear sony ended their contract with bluepoint that fast. I didnt even realise you couldnt delete characters in demons souls.
What now for bluepoint?

SlimySnake

They’re doing the MGS remake for MS.
This would make the most sense imo. someone on era mentioned how they used to be pretty tight with Japan studios who helped them with SOTC and Demon souls remakes and shutting down Japan studios was basically gutting Bluepoint itself. Gavin Moore, the creative director of Demon Souls and Pupeteer, recently left Japan Studios.

So it seems after Bluepoint finished demon souls, they moved on to a different project and ended their relationship with Japan studios. Which could mean they are now working for someone else like Microsoft.

Fredrik

I'm just buying an Xbox soon. Sony is messing up this gen so bad.
You could always consider buying a PC, it’ll cost more but you’ll get most games that comes to Xbox and some Sony games as well.
Two words:
Jim Ryan.
And other two words:
Hermen Hulst.
I still dont get the people in this forum that says " These two are doing a great job".
I’m thinking more like the closure of Japan Studio has pissed off Bluepoint, maybe they don’t want to get acquired anymore. I don’t see any scenario where it makes sense for Sony to cut ties with Bluepoint.

SlimySnake

Contracts have an end date. They end. We don't know if Sony renewed that contract again (good), decided not to renew it at all (bad), or just went straight to acquisition talks (great).

Hold your pitchforks, guys.
if i wanted to be acquired by a company, i would go out of my way to release free patches for their game and system. to sweeten the deal so to speak.

just saying.

Gavin Moore (creative director of demon souls) from Japan Studios has left along with pretty much everyone else, so there is a good chance they no longer have any new games from Bluepoint to help make either.

Keihart

Imagine Playstation breaking ties with Bluepoints after all those remasters, that would be a total shitshow...then again, it is new management, so...

MrSarcastic

Banned
So, Sony is obsessed with AAA games right? Those types of games need big, high skilled/experienced, well oil teams. It seems totally contradictory to that end (having AAA GOTYs consistently) just to throw away relationships with teams that can make those types of games. If they don't secure collaboration with Bluepoint or Trolljima they would lose like 5 years in which they wouldn't have the content they want. Just ask MS how they have been since the second half of the 360 era till this moment...A total desert in prestige games.

This would make the most sense imo. someone on era mentioned how they used to be pretty tight with Japan studios who helped them with SOTC and Demon souls remakes and shutting down Japan studios was basically gutting Bluepoint itself. Gavin Moore, the creative director of Demon Souls and Pupeteer, recently left Japan Studios.

So it seems after Bluepoint finished demon souls, they moved on to a different project and ended their relationship with Japan studios. Which could mean they are now working for someone else like Microsoft.

because Microsoft and Japanese studios have such a great history together...

ACESHIGH

Banned
This guy want's to be the center of attention so bad since he released that patch. Sony can easily pay any other PC porting studio. What about Durante's? Why would Bluepoint be in charge of porting this to PC? I'd rather have an experienced studio like QLQC or Nixxes handling the PC port

SlimySnake

because Microsoft and Japanese studios have such a great history together...
MS is changing. the zenimax acquisition points to that. even before that, the acquistions of Ninja Theory, obsidian, playground, double fine, and starting a new studio in The Initiative shows that this new MS is different from the MS that was shutting down studios, cancelling japanese games, and spending $100 million on dead IPs like Gears.

it feels different. we will find out this e3 i guess. If MS shows up with a MGS remake by bluepoint, and a new IP from kojima along with all their fancy big games like star citizen and elder scrolls then we will know that MS isnt the same publisher from last gen.

I’m thinking more like the closure of Japan Studio has pissed off Bluepoint, maybe they don’t want to get acquired anymore. I don’t see any scenario where it makes sense for Sony to cut ties with Bluepoint.
I don’t feel like that’s how these big business decisions work. If this is in fact true (which I’m having trouble imagining it is) I do not see a scenario where a company refuses to get bought out by Sony because they’re collectively so mad that Sony closed Japan Studio.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

So, Sony is obsessed with AAA games right? Those types of games need big, high skilled/experienced, well oil teams. It seems totally contradictory to that end (having AAA GOTYs consistently) just to throw away relationships with teams that can make those types of games. If they don't secure collaboration with Bluepoint or Trolljima they would lose like 5 years in which they wouldn't have the content they want. Just ask MS how they have been since the second half of the 360 era till this moment...A total desert in prestige games.
well, they just threw away an IP they spent 7 years developing because it "only" sold 5 million copies and received mediocre reviews. they also the same well oiled studio do support work after shipping a game instead of immediately starting them on their next game. Bend has most likely wasted the last two years just coming up with new pitches and doing support work for ND. their next game is probably 5 years away.

Fredrik

I don’t feel like that’s how these big business decisions work. If this is in fact true (which I’m having trouble imagining it is) I do not see a scenario where a company refuses to get bought out by Sony because they’re collectively so mad that Sony closed Japan Studio.
What if the studio heads are mad? I just don’t see this happening from a decision by Sony. It’s either fake news or somebody is royally pissed. That’ll be my take until I get solid news.

Ezquimacore

Banned
The other day a was reading a satire thread here, was something like "guess which feature or studio Jim ryan is going to cancel next week" I thought it was satire.

vivftp

... what the? Why are people assuming this is some sort of breakup between Bluepoint and Sony? Bluepoint are a third party developer. Sony would contract them out to do a job, and of course that contract would have an end date. Do people think contracts go on forever once a project is done?

Dr Bass

It's still just a prettified old game. Patched Gears 5 with Hivebusters is absolutely on par with it, but wouldn't call it next gen game either.
It’s a ground up remake, not just prettified, and the gameplay holds up 100%.

Also I don’t think you’ve played through it. Gears 5 isn’t in the same league at all.

MS is changing. the zenimax acquisition points to that. even before that, the acquistions of Ninja Theory, obsidian, playground, double fine, and starting a new studio in The Initiative shows that this new MS is different from the MS that was shutting down studios, cancelling japanese games, and spending $100 million on dead IPs like Gears.

it feels different. we will find out this e3 i guess. If MS shows up with a MGS remake by bluepoint, and a new IP from kojima along with all their fancy big games like star citizen and elder scrolls then we will know that MS isnt the same publisher from last gen.

maybe so, but those would be disastrous from a PR perspective for Sony

if Sony is literally going to shrink this gen (outside of support for Jade Raymond’s Haven studio), then all the complacency speculation will be true

I just can’t imagine Microsoft getting nothing but big PR wins like that with Sony doing absolutely nothing

Sony is turning into arrogant Sony. This is starting to remind me strongly of the PS3 days. Really sad.

Top Bottom