• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lack of PS5 DIE Shots

bender

What time is it?
0351_4ij9t.gif

Gaelyon

Gold Member
Steve AKA Tech Jesus had torn apart a dualsense in a video and break open a PS5 for testing the heat in another one, I'm pretty sure he didn't mind take an open shot of the mainboard. Problem is he didn't care enough about consoles.

Yoboman

Steve AKA Tech Jesus had torn apart a dualsense in a video and break open a PS5 for testing the heat in another one, I'm pretty sure he didn't mind take an open shot of the mainboard. Problem is he didn't care enough about consoles.
The die shot would require removing the liquid metal

Which would then most likely turn the system into a brick

I find it hilarious that we dont even know the RAM allocation for the OS.

Sony must have gotten PTSD from the reaction to the Road to PS5 reveal. They are treating this console like a NASA rover.
Agreed , someone high up there is still clenching his ass about that ..
However - since the console is out Sony cannot prevent someone from taking the APU remove the metal head and photograph the silicon underneath it.

I understand that that would destroy a PS5 but some outlet or someone with the equipment and know how should have a spare one or could ask for one , right?

Last edited:

Again, I don't talk about making a photo of the APU Chip.
That's boring and gives us nothing but the cm² of the APU which is anyway known already.

I want to see the damn silicon underneath it so we can make finally some knowledge based conclusions
about :
Infinity Ram
Geometry Engine
I/O hub
and more..

MaulerX

In a world where people buy consoles and record themselves destroying them with a sledge hammer just for the lulz... I'm sure there has to be somebody out there willing to take a PS5 chip die shot even if it means bricking it. For science 😉

vpance

In a world where people buy consoles and record themselves destroying them with a sledge hammer just for the lulz... I'm sure there has to be somebody out there willing to take a PS5 chip die shot even if it means bricking it. For science 😉

Some YTer replaced the liquid metal with thermal paste and it ran fine, but the fan was louder.

I guess whatever facility people use to do these x-rays is just locked down. And/or no one gives enough of a fuck to get out and do it now.

Yoboman

Its all economics

You probably get millions of views for destroying a PS5

You'll get barely any views or pagehits for a die shot. Definitely nowhere near enough to cover the cost of buying a second PS5 at inflated prices

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Well I’m sure none of these crazy guys has a X-ray silicon machine.

ethomaz

Banned

Plus an X-ray machine for silicons.

Or are people thinking it is just to take a phone photo?

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Just to add.

It is needed a X-ray machine with enough precision for 7nm... and you need to know how to merge the images for the final result be accurate.

You can read a bit here:

It is not that easy and cheap to have the actual equipment for a shot... neither is to create an accurate final shot from the x-ray results.

Edit - I forget to say working with X-ray without protection can affect your health.

Last edited:

isoRhythm

Banned

TronicsFix removed the liquid metal and tested thermal paste

Just to add.

It is needed a X-ray machine with enough precision for 7nm... and you need to know how to merge the images for the final result be accurate.

You can read a bit here:

It is not that easy and cheap to have the actual equipment for a shot... neither is to create an accurate final shot from the x-ray results.

Edit - I forget to say working with X-ray without protection can affect your health.
if its a bottom top stack it...which i think it was from memory it makes it difficult to capture
Yeah , seems more difficult than I thought .
But given the many DIE Shots out there from all sorts of Chip silicon , it seems there are still plenty of people with the know how and tech..
Sigh. . Let's just hope we get one this year 🙏

Hudo

So like in the title mentioned - why do were not have a DIE Shot of PS5s APU yet?
The console is out , why does nobody make the effort to give us that detailed die shot like we saw from MS Xbox X?
What do I miss here?
For what purpose? I am not trying to be antagonistic here, I'm genuinely curious.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Basically that.

To X-ray the PS5 chip you will have to basically destroy the APU liquid metal coat.

You can’t make it work again after that.
You would have to destroy the apu completely sadly...

Retinoid

Xbox Series S die:
xbox-series-s-fichas-generacion-xbox-2.jpg

Xbox Series X die:
2-1080.7e23b3e3.jpg
Microsoft's transparency with the XSX has been stellar. Right from the first announcement they have been incredibly forthright and honest with the tech and have not shied away from delving into the specifics of the silicon. This level of communication should be commended, regardless of your console affiliation.

DaGwaphics

Microsoft's transparency with the XSX has been stellar. Right from the first announcement they have been incredibly forthright and honest with the tech and have not shied away from delving into the specifics of the silicon. This level of communication should be commended, regardless of your console affiliation.

They were still so scarred from that little GPU in the X1, they had to show off that die shot. "Look at that $#!% huge GPU". :messenger_tears_of_joy:

DaGwaphics

I guess whatever facility people use to do these x-rays is just locked down. And/or no one gives enough of a fuck to get out and do it now.

I assume these things are generally produced by someone that works in a facility with the equipment in place. Maybe the Covid regulations etc. have made these extracurricular activities difficult/impossible.

I'm shocked we haven't gotten one. Typically the more secretive a company is about the silicone, the faster these things come out.

Lysandros

I personally liked their openness about the hardware but not the boosting manner used, the whole "most powerful" thing was very unfortunate to say the least. In the other end the radio silence of Sony after road to PS5 is just too extreme and unnecessary, it can create a sense of insecurity.

Leyasu

Banned
Basically that.

To X-ray the PS5 chip you will have to basically destroy the APU liquid metal coat.

You can’t make it work again after that.
There is a video on youtube where a guy removes the liquid metal and replaces it with thermal paste for testing purposes. Worked just fine

MastaKiiLA

I assume that with a $500 machine, there has to be a way to recoup that cost with release of die shots. So maybe we'll have to wait for someone to donate a broken PS5 with a voided warranty to the cause. Hell, a PS5 is worth more than the $500 retail at this point.

ethomaz

Banned
There is a video on youtube where a guy removes the liquid metal and replaces it with thermal paste for testing purposes. Worked just fine
"Worked fine" with the fan running at 100% and being loader than a Jet Engine.

Conspiracy time.
Any xray will reveals 'Made in China' with a design not by AMD the entire chips industry will be in ruin. They need to keep it a secret.
Photos actually have been made many times but the people in power are able to suppress them and keep it a secret.
Men with baseball bats have been preventing chip fabs from even turning on the machines. Thus the current chip shortage of GPU, APU, Memory.
1. Sony moves headquarters out of Japan
2. China takes over Taiwan Fab production and cuts supply
3. Microsoft puts out what was supposed to be the most powerful console that actually barely performs as well as the PS5.
4. Slowly reveal that the PS5 was chinese designed and made and announe fabs that can mass produce any silicone.
5. Watch as all the current silicone supply chain goes belly up and everything is made in China now.
6. Sony reveals that they knew everything in advance and were part of the industry takeover.
7. Madlaughter.mp3

Top Bottom