• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kyle Bosman's take on Housemarque's "AAA" Returnal and $70USD games

elliot5

Wasn't really feeling this. I have no connection with Kyle, but this just felt like rambling and a therapy session over some sort of enjoyable analysis thing.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I don't follow him that closely anymore, but this popped up in my feed and it was entertaining and a different take on what Housemarque has done. I think his analysis is pretty fair:

I think he is getting back into form, but should sleep a tad more hehe, I missed him and people like him from his Final Bossman days. I hope this is a rebirth for him on the scene.

People justifying the 70 dollar (80 euros) price tag are the worst of the worst

nobody is “justifying” anything

nobody likes inflation, but it is what it is.

are you going to starve just because food costs more?

with gaming you can just opt out, be my guest, but don’t shame others for feeling like they still got their money’s worth on a phenomenal game

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights

with gaming you can just opt out, be my guest, but don’t shame others for feeling like they still got their money’s worth on a phenomenal game
Some ppl seem to always mistake discussing a topic with justifying.

I saw this with the cross play thing, I see it again now.

No one likes prices going up...but it is what it is.... Talking about the realities of it doesnt equal justifying.

I remember prices of the consoles coming up before the consoles released...and these same conversations happening.....now there isnt a peep about it for either the PS5 or XSX. Some even say Sony dropped the ball because they coulda priced it higher and still sold the same amount, lol.

Funny how that works...just an interesting observation.

Some ppl say they wouldnt mind if Game Pass goes up and winds up being higher than Gold. They would still pay.

Last edited:

Marvel

could never
Not taking gaming advice from someone who looks like they stay up till 4am playing WoW.

I paid 70 quid for it and regret it.

Last edited:

junguler

Banned
i'm sub to his channel but i guess youtube decided i'm not interested anymore and didn't show me the video, thanks for posting this.
as for 70usd games i think it's too much but what i think doesn't matter as i'm not the kind of guy who pre-orders or day1s a game anyway.

.Pennywise

Banned

Yes, you're just justifying 70 dollars games with the "inflation" argument, which has already been debunked. Anyway, for that and all the other 'popular arguments', you can just watch this video, which covers most of them in a very informative and didactic way.

Yes, you're just justifying 70 dollars games with the "inflation" argument, which has already been debunked. Anyway, for that and all the other 'popular arguments', you can just watch this video, which covers most of them in a very informative and didactic way.

No, inflation hasn't been debunked LOL.

Anyway, I don't have control over the prices - that's set by the industry. I don't like that inflation or higher prices is happening, but it is.

I will continue buying games I feel are worth the value regardless of the $70 price. If that's too high for you, then you can wait until they go on sale, I certainly won't.

Did any other publisher supported such a niche, risky project? No. They were afraid of going bankrupt and cancelled their battle royale project that was meant to save them.

So yes, no other publisher will have the guts or the respect and passion for such games.
You are assuming. They had a good relationship with Sony. Assuming things doesn't make it true.

MaDBrute

Banned
The price is stupid, if i buy the game through Psn, Sony gets all the money.
If i buy it at retailer Sony gets half, it benefits Sony too reduce price in Psn.

Question was "too clear", is there any other publisher made something comparable? Nope.
You are still assuming. Here I'll assume. Sony tells them to fuck off. They goto MS and present returnal. Phil loves it and they green light it. Returnal would exist I can assure you, if Sony didn't help.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
You are still assuming. Here I'll assume. Sony tells them to fuck off. They goto MS and present returnal. Phil loves it and they green light it. Returnal would exist I can assure you, if Sony didn't help.

You seriously think that MS would greenlight Returnal? We're probably living in different dimensions then.

Suspicious Tom Ford GIF by GQ

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I don't recall them mentioning MS ever.

MS would be the last in the list if they ever think of making AAA roguelike:

"In the age when game publishers are taking less and less creative risks, we are truly thankful to our publishing partner Sony, who has given us an opportunity to work on something very risky and has given fantastic support during the whole project. We are forever grateful for having this opportunity."

elliot5

MS would be the last in the list if they ever think of making AAA roguelike:

"In the age when game publishers are taking less and less creative risks, we are truly thankful to our publishing partner Sony, who has given us an opportunity to work on something very risky and has given fantastic support during the whole project. We are forever grateful for having this opportunity."

That quote means nothing. It's just business speak.

Microsoft owns Arkane which has released or are releasing AAA "Roguelike" games and I would be willing to bet they'd let them make those games has they not been made pre-acquisition just as they let Ninja Theory and Obsidian make their stuff they wanted to, regardless of budget.

Sony has a good partnership with Housemarque and funded their project and I'm glad to see it. I'm not sure how there's a conclusion Microsoft wouldn't do the same.

Last edited:

Corndog

Banned
What you are looking for is entirely different game, its like me asking If I can play FF14 offline. If every game try to be everything to everybody then game industry would be bland as fuck with zero creativity.

You have to accept the fact that some games might not be for you but we have 1000 upon 1000 games for every taste and needs.
Isn’t that what he said? He won’t but their next game.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
That quote means nothing. It's just business speak.

Microsoft owns Arkane which has released or are releasing AAA "Roguelike" games and I would be willing to bet they'd let them make those games has they not been made pre-acquisition just as they let Ninja Theory and Obsidian make their stuff they wanted to, regardless of budget.

Sony has a good partnership with Housemarque and funded their project and I'm glad to see it. I'm not sure how there's a conclusion Microsoft wouldn't do the same.

Arcane made their game before MS so let's give them credit for something they have no say on. Also Ninja Theory's game is AA, Obsidian's game was before MS as well.

Let's see what kinda games MS will make first, they got so much to prove.

elliot5

Arcane made their game before MS so let's give them credit for something they have no say on. Also Ninja Theory's game is AA, Obsidian's game was before MS as well.

Let's see what kinda games MS will make first, they got so much to prove.
Huh? Obsidian was acquired in 2018 and Grounded released in early access in 2020.

I'm not giving them credit for it, I was stating given their record with NT and Obsidian to let them work on projects they want to make, I would wager they would do the same given a scenario for a AAA Roguelike. Such as Mooncrash, Deathloop, or Returnal.

I agree they have a lot to prove, but there's not a lot of weight imo to the idea that Microsoft wouldn't publish a game like Returnal. That's all.

Codeblew

There are only a couple of franchises worth $70 to me when I can buy it 2 years later for < $30 on sale, most bugs fixed and with any season pass content.

wipeout364

What you are looking for is entirely different game, its like me asking If I can play FF14 offline. If every game try to be everything to everybody then game industry would be bland as fuck with zero creativity.

You have to accept the fact that some games might not be for you but we have 1000 upon 1000 games for every taste and needs.
I disagree completely, there is absolutely no reason in 2021 for their not to be an easy mode. For an expensive product like this lack of accessibility is a slap in the face to many gamers who lack reaction time to complete it. I don’t even have the game but what you are saying is not correct and the comparison to FFXIV doesn’t make any sense. If Doom Eternal can have an easy mode so can this.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I disagree completely, there is absolutely no reason in 2021 for their not to be an easy mode. For an expensive product like this lack of accessibility is a slap in the face to many gamers who lack reaction time to complete it. I don’t even have the game but what you are saying is not correct and the comparison to FFXIV doesn’t make any sense. If Doom Eternal can have an easy mode so can this.
It’s developer’s choice if they want to put easy mode or not, if they don’t want to then they shouldn’t force in to it.

You are more than free not to like it and don’t buy it. You can’t expect every game carter to your taste.

I hated fact Kojima use famous actors for his games but he has every right to do it because it’s his game and he can do what he wants.

wipeout364

It’s developer’s choice if they want to put easy mode or not, if they don’t want to then they shouldn’t force in to it.

You are more than free not to like it and don’t buy it. You can’t expect every game carter to your taste.

I hated fact Kojima use famous actors for his games but he has every right to do it because it’s his game and he can do what he wants.
This is not about artists creative vision I am not arguing about that. I am arguing that as a large project game that is being released by the platform holder Sony it should have accessibility options.

I am all for difficult games but I also am for people who lack the skills being able to get some enjoyment out of the purchase. It’s actually not that big a deal to have a difficulty mode (Story Mode) where health is doubled or damage is reduced by half; even ninja gaiden put one in years ago.

If this was published by housemarque alone with their own money, sure make it as hard as you want but I still don’t get the business case for it in that situation.

this also why I am a proponent of SBMM in multiplayer games.

Tomeru

Great video but 100% disagree with Kyle about the Metroidvania bit.

Personally I say screw artistic integrity on this one, how about Housemarque provide ways for us regular folks to enjoy the game too. Like how hard it would be for them to include a mode with a fixed world layout (not random each time you die) and more persistent upgrades/progression (save points etc). If the game had a mode like this I'd love to jump back in!

I know many love the game for what it is but I personally hated the random rogue-lite crap, and hated the lack of progression between runs even more. Screw any game that expects you to play near perfect 2 hours runs with little to no progress if you fuck up. It might be a critical success and amazing for a small subset of gaming masochists but it will remain out of reach for the rest of us without more accessibility options.

After about 12 hours of banging my head against it I finally gave up. And that sucks too because the combat and game world (art, music, etc) are so interesting and really well executed. Felt super disappointing to realize I'm just not good enough to keep going. The game just expects too much imo and I just don't have the time/skills/commitment to do it.

Unless they can compromise their vision enough to include the rest of us I won't be buying their next game.
Thats a lot of words to say the game is too hard for me, I dont like it.

Which is fine btw.

Shubh_C63

I always wondered despite Japan being on the forefront of gaming culture in the past, they never dabble with high production costs frequently. I mean compared to few games of FF etc, most games from there looks graphically stuck in last gen. I chalk it down to they're good at doing business and need sure shot returns.

Game devs are artist yes but saleperson more. Sell people what they want and screw creativity. Someone else will come eventually who can combine both, generate enough hype and take the cake from you.

I’m really enjoying the game despite it having plenty of stressful moments. I’m kind of mixed on the difficulty though. Even though I find the game considerably harder the Sekiro or the Souls games, I think the difficulty is kind of artificial like Dark Souls in a way. Basically no checkpoints, long levels, having to power up each time, weapons and items randomizing and enemies start doing ridiculous damage later in the game.

Call me crazy, but I kind of think the game would of probably benefited from shorter levels so doing the entire stage over won’t as time consuming. I’m improving, having fun and I’m glad they were able to make the game they wanted, but I’m sure many people were turned off by how unforgiving it is.

Melubas

Great video but 100% disagree with Kyle about the Metroidvania bit.

Personally I say screw artistic integrity on this one, how about Housemarque provide ways for us regular folks to enjoy the game too. Like how hard it would be for them to include a mode with a fixed world layout (not random each time you die) and more persistent upgrades/progression (save points etc). If the game had a mode like this I'd love to jump back in!

I know many love the game for what it is but I personally hated the random rogue-lite crap, and hated the lack of progression between runs even more. Screw any game that expects you to play near perfect 2 hours runs with little to no progress if you fuck up. It might be a critical success and amazing for a small subset of gaming masochists but it will remain out of reach for the rest of us without more accessibility options.

After about 12 hours of banging my head against it I finally gave up. And that sucks too because the combat and game world (art, music, etc) are so interesting and really well executed. Felt super disappointing to realize I'm just not good enough to keep going. The game just expects too much imo and I just don't have the time/skills/commitment to do it.

Unless they can compromise their vision enough to include the rest of us I won't be buying their next game.

It is advertised as a roguelite and as such it's generally what you should expect. I'm sorry the game didn't click for you though, I can understand the frustration, especially if you already bought it. Having to play two hour chunks is a vast exaggeration though. It's just the first time until you get to
the third and sixth biome, , then there are always shortcuts to both worlds in that chapter.

Radical_3d

I always found odd that you couldn’t make a living of this more thought and elaborated videos and he could instead make money from streaming himself playing and babling at twitch. It’s like this platforms are punishing quality vs seeing someone playing something that you could be playing instead.

Kenpachii

Defending 80 euro's is laughable.

If this game launched for 40, it would have probably sold a crap ton more copy's. The only thing that 80 euro price tag does = killing your own sales.

Maybe now with corona and barely any software being available ( ake ridge racer syndrom ) for the PS5, they can milk the userbase a bit. but the moment more games get on the market that 80 euro price tag is dead.

Last edited:
Top Bottom