• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kronos 4 |OT| Blizzlike Private Vanilla WoW PVP Server - 29th October (25th character creation)

Should a NeoGAF guild roll horde or ally?

• Horde

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • Ally

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters

Tschumi

**THERE IS NO SHOP FOR BUYING CHARACTERS ON THIS SERVER, you can trade characters if you find someone who wants to exchange their 60 horde for a 60 ally of similar, and people may privately sell their characters to their next door neighbours who knows, but people posting here trying to suggest this server is pay to win are being dishonest**

After a bit of advice from an individual who knows what's O'Rights around these here parts, I've gone ahead and whipped up this thread to spread the word about an upcoming VANILLA WOW PRIVATE SERVER...

firefox_2018-03-22_20-03-49.png

Kronos 4 |OT| Private Vanilla WoW Server
Blizzlike + PVP + 1x Exp Rate + boosted raid difficulty + reduced PvP rank decay

First thing's first, this is an unaffiliated post. I just got a lot of joy out of the previous 3 Kronos servers and wanted to give this one the best shot I could at having good numbers in this post-Classic age. Also might be cool if we could organise a guild or a raid group, or just a PvP crew, to rep these pages in-game.

How can I get started?
They have a main website, which will splash news. You'll also find directions to getting your hands on a client here. There're also a range of Armory and stat tracking websites where you can keep an eye on server rankings and progression, I'm not sure if they'll be back running for K4.

There's also a discord. If this link expires let me know and I'll get a fresh one when I have a moment.

*NOTE* You should look up console graphics commands, you can heavily buff the graphics of your client in myriad ways using them.

Greetings Travelers, Interest yeh in a pint?

You have all been waiting patiently (well, most of you anyway), and we are proud to announce the official release date for Kronos IV, along with some information on what you can expect in this new realm.

Kronos IV Launch Date

October 29th, 2021

Character creation date: October 25th, 2021

To cut down on confusion for any new players joining us, we will be disabling new character creation on the current Kronos realm for about two weeks, also starting on the 25th.

What to expect – FAQ:

• PvP Server, 1x experience rate
  • No World Buffs will be available in new release raids for four weeks after its content patch.
  • Content Release Timeline
  • We’re working on a “Kronoboon” item that will allow you to store your World Buffs in advance and apply them to yourself when you really need them, thus allowing you to enjoy the game without worrying about your buffs.
    The item is expected to go live along with the first raid content. However, further details on when exactly and how it works will be revealed at a later date.
  • 8 slot debuff limit up to Zul’Gurub. With Zul’Gurub, this will be increased to 16 slots.
  • GM moderated PvP events such as solo and team arena battles (details at a later date)
  • Honor decay due to inactivity in PvP will be capped at 1k per week instead of 2.5k, similarly as it was on Kronos III
  • Players will be able to queue for battlegrounds from anywhere in the world (with some exceptions) via an in-game command .join (ab/av/wsg).
    – You will be unable to use it for 5 minutes after logging into the game.
    – You will be unable to use it after engaging in PvP combat (outside of battlegrounds) until you have been out of PvP combat for 5 minutes.
    – You will be unable to use it while in hostile territory.
    – If you join the queue and then engage in PvP, you will not lose your queue – but you will be unable to rejoin for 5 minutes.

In preparation for Kronos IV, please take a few minutes to review the Kronos Rules

Take note that multiboxing will not be allowed in Kronos IV, with the exceptions denoted in the above Rules link.

The Kronos Team has been hard at work trying to bring you the best possible vanilla experience available. It is our hope that you will spread the word and bring your friends to take this exciting journey with you.

We are all excited and looking forward to this fresh entry to the longstanding Kronos legacy!

Keep yer feet on the ground!

– Kronos Team

What is a Private Vanilla WoW Server?
This is a free Vanilla WoW server ran by a third party who employ moderators and developers to keep it running smoothly and tweak the content to satisfy the population. Important values can be tweaked to improve the player experience - dynamic respawns during the initial rush of a new server for one can ensure that new players are never waiting long for quest mobs or the like to spawn, raid bosses receive large hp boosts to increase the difficulty of encounters, and so on - and while Kronos offers a cosmetic online store, there is nothing 'play to win' about this server.

What is the big deal about Kronos?
Kronos isn't the most famous of the pre-Classic private servers - famous flameouts Nostalrius and Elysium come to mind - but it was a very well populated and long-lived private server project with 3 fresh server launches which eventually merged back in with the original server before Naxx was ultimately opened and cleared a short while before Classic came out. I played there for a good many years, and they worked constantly to iron out bugs and respond to community feedback. It's a well run, stable server with good mods and, usually, passionate raid guilds and PvPers.

*I should add here that it's been going continuously while Classic has been out, and a reasonable pop of raiders have kept farming Naxx the entire time... no I'll never understand that :p but good on them.

Kronos are thinking of implementing a server-specific item which would allow players to 'store' and self apply raid world buffs, simplifying the raid-prep process greatly. These raid buffs will be released in step with content releases, with a delay.

Note: There is no multiboxing allowed outside of capital cities, where you can exchange items. You can have one toon outside of a city and the other bank/watercooler toon, or toons, inside, but you cannot have more than one outside.

Also, all original paintings and cleavage are intact! You can brush up against people and fart in this one!

What's the PVP like?
That depends on you guys. They have all the battlegrounds - they are even planning on implementing "Mod-supervised arenas" for this server - but all BGs require players to run. Usually PvP only happens during EU and US hours, or on BG weekends - who knows, maybe Kronos will get a good population of Oceanic PvPers? Blizzlike PvP decay for inactive players is 2500 a week, but on K4 it'll be 1000.

Why should I play this when I can play more modern MMORPGs?
Because they're all copying this one, and this one is OG, and this one doesn't have to come up with random gameplay tweaks to avoid copyright claims. It is what it is and it is timeless. And it's freeee with no watered down gameplay to force you to pay a full subscription!

Why are you trying to get us to do this?

Vanilla WoW was great fun. If you tried Classic, you might know, but Kronos 4 will be superior to Classic in many ways - they can use things like Dynamic Spawning and the like to avoid things like devilsaur camping etc, they can make the content harder, but you also get more time to try and tackle the stuff at your own pace. They cap things like respec costs (5g) and Honor decay, so big roadbumps to progression are lifted.

But these things need players. Other, less succesful private server groups have tried to start servers in the recent past but suffered from a lack of players post-Classic. I want to try and help Kronos 4 buck that trend - they have the pedigree, I wanna help them get the population!

Talking Points
Do you wanna make a raid guild?
Do you wanna make a Casual guild?
Do you wanna make a PvP guild?
Are you gonna go horde or ally?
What's your favourite class?
What's your past experience with private servers?
Did you play classic?
Wanna know more?
Has a bucket?

ofcourse.gif
16275-1024629-source-article-image-d-1-article_m-1.gif
7D496DE08D574F159E75EC9E8CA5EB7302BF0865

...Why you, Tschumi? You're not a big MMO player, are you?
No, I'm not, I used to be but my life has moved on. However, I am still going to roll a toon for this server - a class I can level quickly and smoothly - just to help support it, though I can't no-life it like I used to. Am I going to defend this server's honor to the death? No. I can only say that I've had the best WoW experiences of my life with Kronos, and it didn't get shut down now did it?

Thanks to the powers that be for being given the go-ahead to write this, I don't mind if someone decides that it, after all, should be taken down.

Last edited:

Tschumi

I was considering it until I saw the shop. You can buy mounts, pets and even buy and sell full blown characters…
Thanks for providing an incorrect interpretation of their store to make a point :)

Kronos's shop is entirely cosmetic, there's no 'pay to win',

i think you might be confusing character trade with buying full characters..

Nobody will be trying to trade fully geared toons until you've already got ur own. In all my years with Kronos I think I saw about 3 people with novelty mounts (Allys who ride Kodos, big deal) and maybe a few weird pets. Kronos is absolutely not dominated by its store.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Thanks for providing an incorrect interpretation of their store to make a point :)

Kronos's shop is entirely cosmetic, there's no 'pay to win',

i think you might be confusing character trade with buying full characters..

If you go on their store or disc now you might find a bunch of people trying to sell or trade toons, but I mean what's the point in buying a 60 on a server with Naxx on farm? :p Toons like those won't be available until they're built up and put on sale/for trade on K4, that's a player thing not a server thing. In all my years with Kronos I think I saw about 3 people with novelty mounts (Allys who ride Kodos, big deal) and maybe a few weird pets. Kronos is absolutely not dominated by its store.

This is just downplaying a legit concern, there is no reality where the ability to buy characters "legally" in vanilla isn't P2W. Levelling in vanilla is a huge part of the game and you WILL be able to skip it for real money, or skip the prebis grind if you wait a little longer for those characters to become available. Doesn't matter if those characters are levelled by actual players and not bots, some people don't want to play server where it's possible. Doesn't really bother me personally but don't mislead folks that it won't happen on K4.

Regardless, hope anyone who does play has fun, seems like it'll be the new go-to for Vanilla, especially since Blizzard's fresh is going custom.

Tschumi

This is just downplaying a legit concern, there is no reality where the ability to buy characters "legally" in vanilla isn't P2W. Levelling in vanilla is a huge part of the game and you WILL be able to skip it for real money, or skip the prebis grind if you wait a little longer for those characters to become available. Doesn't matter if those characters are levelled by actual players and not bots, some people don't want to play server where it's possible. Doesn't really bother me personally but don't mislead folks that it won't happen on K4.

Regardless, hope anyone who does play has fun, seems like it'll be the new go-to for Vanilla, especially since Blizzard's fresh is going custom.
This is so disingenuous lol, I'm standing here saying nobody buys fully geared characters and you guys repeatedly try to assert that this is the case

You must be involved with some other server, jeez, talk about bs

I've asked and can confirm there's no toon shop on Kronos 4, so stop fucking with my OT.

- There are no pre-generated toons to be bought
- People who do aucton their toons - which they generated and geared - do so for stars, which they use on the website for buying cosmetic items or other user-generated toons
- On a fresh server the best toons you'll be able to get from others are tanks for Hogger in exchange for your Goldtooth farmer.
- One more time, there is no place where you can buy prebis toons out of nowhere to boost you past everyone else.
- The implication that the server will be filled with people who bought raid toons off the online store is, I mean, very 2016.

I'm pretty unimpressed by implications to the contrary.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
This is so disingenuous lol, I'm standing here saying nobody buys fully geared characters and you guys repeatedly try to assert that this is the case

You must be involved with some other server, jeez, talk about bs

I've asked and can confirm there's no toon shop on Kronos 4, so stop fucking with my OT.

- There are no pre-generated toons to be bought
- People who do aucton their toons - which they generated and geared - do so for stars, which they use on the website for buying cosmetic items or other user-generated toons
- On a fresh server the best toons you'll be able to get from others are tanks for Hogger in exchange for your Goldtooth farmer.
- One more time, there is no place where you can buy prebis toons out of nowhere to boost you past everyone else.
- The implication that the server will be filled with people who bought raid toons off the online store is, I mean, very 2016.

I'm pretty unimpressed by implications to the contrary.

You're telling me things I already know, I'm well aware the characters aren't generated by staff or levelled by bots, but this:

I'm standing here saying nobody buys fully geared characters

Is wrong and you know it, it takes 10 seconds to get to the Kronos Discord where you can find people selling not only fully geared characters but fresh 60s, this happens on K3 and will happen on K4 in a matter of weeks for people with credit cards who don't want to level themselves.

Once again, this doesn't bother me personally but considering it's "your OT" you shouldn't get so defensive at those of us pointing out obvious truths, just acknowledge it's part of the server and move on. Same thing happened on Apollo 2 Cataclysm and I was fine with it but some people don't want to play those servers and that's fine too.

Tschumi

You're telling me things I already know, I'm well aware the characters aren't generated by staff or levelled by bots, but this:

Is wrong and you know it, it takes 10 seconds to get to the Kronos Discord where you can find people selling not only fully geared characters but fresh 60s, this happens on K3 and will happen on K4 in a matter of weeks for people with credit cards who don't want to level themselves.

Once again, this doesn't bother me personally but considering it's "your OT" you shouldn't get so defensive at those of us pointing out obvious truths, just acknowledge it's part of the server and move on. Same thing happened on Apollo 2 Cataclysm and I was fine with it but some people don't want to play those servers and that's fine too.
Your points are fair enough. But they're still trollish.

I raided hardcore on Kronos for years, in one of the top guilds (gulch trotters then memento Mori if your clearly huge knowledge of Kronos extends to raid guilds from years ago) and I could count the number of such toons i encountered on one hand. And most of those were traded after classic was announced.

I have an issue with the first two people to post here not talking about how much they would like to play, how excited they are for a fresh launch, but instead trying to make sure the first comments any potential recruit to the thing will see are implying that it's a cesspit of sold toons that's beneath the experts.

That's at least as misleading as how you label my posts.

If you go on discord now you'll see people trying to sell toons that have spent the last however many years farming naxx on a server that nobody plays anymore. You'll see fresh 60s for people who want to farm naxx with them. I have no godly idea why anyone would wish to farm naxx on a dead server but there you are. It's hugely disingenuous to try and suggest that a fresh server will have the same market of used, pointless 60s to trade around.

Compared to other private servers Kronos has a low key, aesthetic store. You can't buy xp boosts, you can't buy items. I never used it once, even to name change my toons. Trying to imply that anybody joining Kronos is a chump is malicious, I'd imply the opposite, anyone abstaining from joining a fresh server because they think they're too good for their online store is gimping themselves. Don't gimp others.

There's so much positive stuff to talk about when fresh servers drop, it's toxic to try to nip them in the bud for your own epeen.

Xyphie

Having to play with a 15-year old client is reason enough to play on the upcoming Classic Mastery servers. When I've tested stuff locally on a 1.12.1 server for Classic the client was such a janky piece-of-shit compared to the modern Classic client.

Tschumi

Having to play with a 15-year old client is reason enough to play on the upcoming Classic Mastery servers. When I've tested stuff locally on a 1.12.1 server for Classic the client was such a janky piece-of-shit compared to the modern Classic client.
1.12 Works fine -shrug- can't say i wouldn't be interested in a classic client, but I'd hope they can unfuck plenty of the things blizz got wrong

Last edited:

AV

Your points are fair enough. But they're still trollish.

I raided hardcore on Kronos for years, in one of the top guilds (gulch trotters then memento Mori if your clearly huge knowledge of Kronos extends to raid guilds from years ago) and I could count the number of such toons i encountered on one hand. And most of those were traded after classic was announced.

I have an issue with the first two people to post here not talking about how much they would like to play, how excited they are for a fresh launch, but instead trying to make sure the first comments any potential recruit to the thing will see are implying that it's a cesspit of sold toons that's beneath the experts.

That's at least as misleading as how you label my posts.

If you go on discord now you'll see people trying to sell toons that have spent the last however many years farming naxx on a server that nobody plays anymore. You'll see fresh 60s for people who want to farm naxx with them. I have no godly idea why anyone would wish to farm naxx on a dead server but there you are. It's hugely disingenuous to try and suggest that a fresh server will have the same market of used, pointless 60s to trade around.

Compared to other private servers Kronos has a low key, aesthetic store. You can't buy xp boosts, you can't buy items. I never used it once, even to name change my toons. Trying to imply that anybody joining Kronos is a chump is malicious, I'd imply the opposite, anyone abstaining from joining a fresh server because they think they're too good for their online store is gimping themselves. Don't gimp others.

There's so much positive stuff to talk about when fresh servers drop, it's toxic to try to nip them in the bud for your own epeen.

People can make their own minds up, my posts don't imply that at all. I even said that this server will be the go-to for Vanilla moving forward and that I hope people enjoy it. But you're getting way too defensive about a WoW server, you aren't interested in discussing it, you're just advertising it. Even in your edited OP message you still can't admit that there are characters being sold, not traded, on K3 for money on the official Discord server and have been for years.

Feel free to tell me that this person wasn't selling a level 60 character for 240 Euros the month BWL launched on K3.

bD8Ca4O.png

This stuff isn't hard to find. No, it is not common but stop pretending it doesn't exist or you just come across like you're trying to hide something. Good luck with your OT, I'll leave what I have to say at that.

AV

AV AV fuck it, sorry for my reaction, you don't like it you don't like it, think I'm in the midst of a tough week

Don't worry about it, I'm genuinely not trying to troll I just think people should be aware that this will be a thing, I know some people that don't play Twinstar servers for this very reason.

But it will definitely be the best place to play "real" vanilla and I hope anyone who does play enjoys.

Tschumi

Don't worry about it, I'm genuinely not trying to troll I just think people should be aware that this will be a thing, I know some people that don't play Twinstar servers for this very reason.

But it will definitely be the best place to play "real" vanilla and I hope anyone who does play enjoys.
I'll just say that, as someone who played Kronos for years, it genuinely wasn't a big thing, the server had hundreds of honest and committed players, a really vibrant community.

I mean, different strokes, the big US raid guild spent their raids gambling with an addon, I'm certain some wankers didn't think twice about that kind of stuff, but yeah it wasn't a very diffuse effect.

Mess

For what it's worth I've played K3 for a short while before moving to ND because friends were playing there. K3 was both the best community and the best pvp (loved the Line of Sight there).

Tbh WSG is what I like the most, by far, I'll definitly play on K4. Maybe just toy in low level pvp at first and some 60 druid FC down the line. After Classic, I'm confident it will be a way better experience than what blizzard can manage.

Last edited:

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
Someone I spoke to said on Kronos battlegrounds were never up because people only cares about pve, is that true?

Blizzard going full clown mode these last years makes me never want to give them money again. So...

Mess

Someone I spoke to said on Kronos battlegrounds were never up because people only cares about pve, is that true?

Blizzard going full clown mode these last years makes me never want to give them money again. So...

From my anecdotal experience BGs were popping just fine. And iirc, the winners of the henhouse wsg tournament were Kronos guys (might be mistaken about this tho), can't achieve that level without some practice :messenger_grinning:

Tschumi

Wow didn't see this come to communities!

Kronos BGs back in the day...

Wsg 51-60 pretty much went on every day during the peak hours, bg weekends were very lively... There was a twinking scene but little in between. World PvP happened pretty often. K1 was waiting for k2 and then k3 to unlock aq40, from memory, so for people like me who raided on k1 that aq40 patch lasted for a year or more.. towards the end of that, yeah, PvP was mostly a premade thing or a themed weekend thing.

Of course during the fresh period of the new servers PvP was a lot more active

I can't say k4 will be like that, we just don't know what the population will be like, but i can be pretty certain that PvP premade groups will work out alright regardless...

Reminder that character creation is available for those who want to give K4 a try.
I've already made all mine :) I'm going horde this time. Yourself?

Yeah kronos had some enthusiastic pvpers, i was good friends with the only successful oomkin lol guy named bioniclass... Then there was lild and co... Good times

Last edited:

Mess

I'm going horde this time. Yourself?
I made Alliance toons since most of the time it leads to better BG queues but nothing is written in stone. Whatever I'll end up playing it'll be casual pvp :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

If the 39 bracket is alive I'll definitly roll a druid FC there since the gear is so cheap. And maybe a 60 rogue or druid down the line.

Tschumi

I made Alliance toons since most of the time it leads to better BG queues but nothing is written in stone. Whatever I'll end up playing it'll be casual pvp :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

If the 39 bracket is alive I'll definitly roll a druid FC there since the gear is so cheap. And maybe a 60 rogue or druid down the line.
On kronos generally horde was better for PvP.. for whatever reason, i think we allies thought it was because there were less of them so they got more slots or something.. might be mistaken though

I just can't go ally again lol, I've played vanilla for 16 years and I've never had a horde 60, i have to change this imbalance.

(Had a horde 80 in wotlk but leveling was a joke by then)

Tschumi

Server starting in... 3 minutes

Keep your eyes out for an undead warrior named "Bulwark" that's me

Last edited:
Top Bottom