• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hey Guest. Check out the NeoGAF 2.2 Update Thread for details on our new Giphy integration and other new features.
  • The Politics forum has been nuked. Please do not bring political discussion to the rest of the site, or you will be removed. Thanks.

Analysis Kraken Vs ZLIB: 29% Smaller Game Sizes Losslessly, 297% Faster Decompression on PS5

Shmunter

Aug 25, 2018
Overall both should have enough storage with future games. I still doubt that any off the shelf NVMe m.2 7GB/s will match PS5's internal custom 5.5GB/s SSD, even though that 7GB/s top tier NVMe m.2 SSD's are vastly better than Xbox cut-down (2x lanes instead of 4x) low budget (only 4 channel for around 16 chips!) SSD's. I think Sony should just release a 825GB extension, and they might do that but they avoided it now to avoid bad press.
PS5 needs cold storage. Sony’s glacial approach to updates is pissing me off already.

Reactions: M1chl and Bo_Hazem

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Dec 25, 2019
Prague, Czech Republic
Overall both should have enough storage with future games. I still doubt that any off the shelf NVMe m.2 7GB/s will match PS5's internal custom 5.5GB/s SSD, even though that 7GB/s top tier NVMe m.2 SSD's are vastly better than Xbox cut-down (2x lanes instead of 4x) low budget (only 4 channel for around 16 chips!) SSD's. I think Sony should just release a 825GB extension, and they might do that but they avoided it now to avoid bad press.
I don't really argue that, but it's also more to do how well the RTX i/o is going to be, as far as I know, both consoles are sporting dedicated hw i/o block, which even as a more budget options in XSX is more capable than classical CPU decompressor found in PC. Will see, RTX i/o is supposedly build on Direct Storage API, so those solutions are going to be interesting to watch, what the crazy power different is going to do.

Reactions: Bo_Hazem

Bo_Hazem

Gold Dealer
Feb 10, 2020
Salalah, Oman
I don't really argue that, but it's also more to do how well the RTX i/o is going to be, as far as I know, both consoles are sporting dedicated hw i/o block, which even as a more budget options in XSX is more capable than classical CPU decompressor found in PC. Will see, RTX i/o is supposedly build on Direct Storage API, so those solutions are going to be interesting to watch, what the crazy power different is going to do.

I think both AMD and Nvidia cards have so much juice to spare to mimic console I/O decompressors. But AMD can go the extra mile and release crazy CPU's that can free the GPU from that as PS5's decompressor alone is as powerful as 9x Zen2 cores, with the I/O being around 11-12x Zen2 cores! That's like having entry level AMD threadripper CPU dedicated for the I/O alone.

Last edited:
Reactions: dr guildo and M1chl

M1chl

Dec 25, 2019
Prague, Czech Republic
I think both AMD and Nvidia cars have so much juice to spare to mimic console I/O decompressors. But AMD can go the extra mile and release crazy CPU's that can free the GPU from that as PS5's decompressor alone is as powerful as 9x Zen2 cores, with the I/O being around 11-12x Zen2 cores! That's like having entry level AMD threadripper CPU dedicated for the I/O alone.
ASIC > CPU also probably needs like 1/20 of die size of those said CPU cores. Well I hope that we get some (even a demo-tech) game soon with what it can do, well will see how Ratchet and Clank will be, even though it's still early gen game.

Bo_Hazem

Gold Dealer
Feb 10, 2020
Salalah, Oman
ASIC > CPU also probably needs like 1/20 of die size of those said CPU cores. Well I hope that we get some (even a demo-tech) game soon with what it can do, well will see how Ratchet and Clank will be, even though it's still early gen game.

R&C is still using traditional LOD's, but distant assets are crazy sharp that you might think they're simply polygon/atom streaming!

Reactions: M1chl

Bo_Hazem

Gold Dealer
Feb 10, 2020
Salalah, Oman
Wait "traditional LOD" as oppose to those UE5 nanites? Or is it something more which I missed?

Making 5-9 levels of details of the same asset is the traditional way. Sony Atom View / Unreal Engine 5 can use one original asset and stream polygons/atoms on the fly in a frame budget instead, which is insanely efficient and should make even old GPU's more powerful and good enough to make better graphics. It's in the OP.

Reactions: M1chl

M1chl

Dec 25, 2019
Prague, Czech Republic
Making 5-9 levels of details of the same asset is the traditional way. Sony Atom View / Unreal Engine 5 can use one original asset and stream polygons/atoms on the fly in a frame budget instead, which is insanely efficient and should make even old GPU's more powerful and good enough to make better graphics. It's in the OP.
Oh
I rarely reads OP with multiple pages

• LOL

PlayStaytion

Dec 22, 2019
Because those old games and some more other games aren't coded to take full advantage of either. 1st party games so far are doing below 1sec up to 3-4sec max, and they look much more better than those games.

Should be good enough, but I don't think it'll compete well if it's still using ZLIB on Xbox, as devs will rather save money than license Oodle Kraken individually for their game on Xbox, while it's free + Oodle Texture on PS5/4.
It may end in Sony's favor and push microsoft to follow what sony did to compete , just like what they did with the one x.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Jul 17, 2004
It may end in Sony's favor and push microsoft to follow what sony did to compete , just like what they did with the one x.
Microsoft has different goals they need to release games day and date on 2 platforms. They can't be using any expensive proprietary technology that won't be adopted on the second platform. Microsoft took an approach that works great to bring big improvements to 2 platforms with widespread adoption. Sony has a bad ass io but works in a closed system.

PlayStaytion

Dec 22, 2019
Microsoft has different goals they need to release games day and date on 2 platforms. They can't be using any expensive proprietary technology that won't be adopted on the second platform. Microsoft took an approach that works great to bring big improvements to 2 platforms with widespread adoption. Sony has a bad ass io but works in a closed system.
But if they look that different there should be a point where it's unacceptable for them to not take any action, there's always risks and beds been taken for the future tech ,it's not always 100 percent clear for any of them.

Bo_Hazem

Gold Dealer
Feb 10, 2020
Salalah, Oman
But if they look that different there should be a point where it's unacceptable for them to not take any action, there's always risks and beds been taken for the future tech ,it's not always 100 percent clear for any of them.

Also the Oodle Kraken can work good even with ZLIB decompressors like in Xbox consoles and PS4.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Gold Dealer
Feb 10, 2020
Salalah, Oman
Texture streaming is faster on PS5 than Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S http://bit.ly/3rzcVut Note that these screenshots are right after loading and these are not representative of how the game generally looks on the Xbox consoles.

PS5

Xbox Series X

Xbox Series S

Struggling with low res textures in a BC game? (Mortal Shell)

Last edited:
Reactions: rickybooby87

rickybooby87

Nov 2, 2020
Texture streaming is faster on PS5 than Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S http://bit.ly/3rzcVut Note that these screenshots are right after loading and these are not representative of how the game generally looks on the Xbox consoles.

PS5

Xbox Series X

Xbox Series S

Struggling with low res textures in a BC game? (Mortal Shell)

That is rather interesting... They could probably extend the initial loading screen time to allow these assets to filter in behind the scenes before letting the player loose, seems like an easy fix, but who knows.