• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KotakuAU: 360 FW update breaks very small number of consoles, MS will comp new 360S

Verendus

Banned
Well, here's to hoping my 360 dies. Then again, I don't have XBL so I'm not sure how this would work for me. I've got a 20gb console which I bought a few months before the 60gb was launched. This would work out great, if only because I no longer have to fear about my 360's old age and I can finally check out XBL. I wouldn't mind seeing how Gears of War and Halo play online.

I believe this was discovered in the beta and they were able to pinpoint which boxes are going to have this problem so purposely breaking your console is probably going to get you no where.

Someone earlier asked about getting the FW update via disc. I am 99.9% sure this fw update will be on future games because half of the beta participants tested getting the update straight from the disc they shipped them, the other half got the update directly from LIVE.

Sounds like the beta really helped them out there.

FrankT

Mizzou Gaming said:
I believe this was discovered in the beta and they were able to pinpoint which boxes are going to have this problem so purposely breaking your console is probably going to get you no where.

Someone earlier asked about getting the FW update via disc. I am 99.9% sure this fw update will be on future games because half of the beta participants tested getting the update straight from the disc they shipped them, the other half got the update directly from LIVE.

Sounds like the beta really helped them out there.

Would be nice to know exactly which drives are impacted at this point. They should definitely but up from and center on this one. Might be a small percentage, but with 54 million what is a small percentage, 100k?

alphaNoid

Banned
Kam said:
Well, here's to hoping my 360 dies. Then again, I don't have XBL so I'm not sure how this would work for me. I've got a 20gb console which I bought a few months before the 60gb was launched. This would work out great, if only because I no longer have to fear about my 360's old age and I can finally check out XBL. I wouldn't mind seeing how Gears of War and Halo play online.
You know XBL is free right? Only Gold accounts cost money, but you can 'check out' and explore Live 100% free. Do you not have internet at your house? Why isn't your current 360 online?

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
I hope my xbox has problems...still have an ooooooooooold 20gb but at the same time I do not want it to die right now because I just picked up L.A. Noire yesterday. :/

watership

My iron-forged, Oct 2005 built 360 is indestructible. It would be sad if she didn't work on this new firmware. However and 360s wouldn't be such a bad trade. :D

Tek

I had this problem during the beta test. Some of you might remember me posting about it in that thread.

I worked with MS who sent me a couple of new updates. None of them fixed the issue. I kept getting dre when trying to run the Halo Reach disk. Then they overnighted me another Halo Reach disk and it seemed to install ok, ( something the last disk always failed at ) but I never really had time to play it. Everytime I tried to play the disk before, the intro movie to the solo camp would loop over and over and over.

I was curious about if this update would cause me problems with reading disks down the road.

Although my 360 was just 20gb Pro.

It would be nice to get a brand new console for free though. I was hoping they would do something like this if my problem creeps up again after all 360 disks start coming out in this new format.

I figured I would have to buy another console or something. :/

Still, watch they will say something about not being to see the error through their system and deny me a free xbox

FrankT

Those hoping the upcoming new Xbox 360 firmware will bork your console and thus qualify you for a shiny new one could be out of luck.

Microsoft has told Eurogamer this evening that the disc read error reported by users has nothing to do with the new firmware.

Instead, the problem is tied to an already released software update that changed the way your Xbox 360 reads discs.

In other words, if your console isn't already borked, you don't qualify.

"This issue is unrelated to the upcoming release that has been in public beta," Microsoft said.

"Additionally, this disc read error message is tied to a change in the disc reading algorithms in a recent software update and is not specific to older or newer versions of Xbox 360."

This morning Microsoft confirmed it was aware of 'disc unreadable' or 'disc unsupported' errors that were preventing "a very small number of Xbox 360 owners from playing retail game discs".

"We are also able to detect this issue over Xbox Live and are proactively reaching out to customers that may be impacted to replace their console," Microsoft said.

The new Xbox 360 firmware is rolled out from tomorrow.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-05-18-xbox-disc-errors-unrelated-to-firmware

Already released SW update. I wonder which one is that and more importantly why the guy in the OP is getting a new one when the console was working fine, which certainly doesn't add weight to if your console isn't already borked you do not qualify. Confused.

Willeth

Tek said:
I had this problem during the beta test. Some of you might remember me posting about it in that thread.

I worked with MS who sent me a couple of new updates. None of them fixed the issue. I kept getting dre when trying to run the Halo Reach disk. Then they overnighted me another Halo Reach disk and it seemed to install ok, ( something the last disk always failed at ) but I never really had time to play it. Everytime I tried to play the disk before, the intro movie to the solo camp would loop over and over and over.

I was curious about if this update would cause me problems with reading disks down the road.

Although my 360 was just 20gb Pro.

It would be nice to get a brand new console for free though. I was hoping they would do something like this if my problem creeps up again after all 360 disks start coming out in this new format.

I figured I would have to buy another console or something. :/

Still, watch they will say something about not being to see the error through their system and deny me a free xbox
Which disc drive did/do you have? Does it match any of the drives on this page?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Clarification time! The console replacement plan that is the subject of some of today’s headlines today is related to a previous update, NOT the system update that has been in public beta and will be deployed shortly.

The new disc format that is part of the beta has been rigorously tested across all Xbox 360 models and there are no known compatibility issues.

Hope that clears a few things up.

Xbox 360 By Larry Hryb, Xbox LIVE's Major Nelson

permalink: http://majornelson.com/2011/05/18/clearing-up-some-confusion/

Edit: eh already posted

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
There goes my plan to buy a second hand 360, if the model type is discovered, and thus get a newer model for a fraction of the price.

Sagitario

Wario64 said:
Clarification time! The console replacement plan that is the subject of some of today’s headlines today is related to a previous update, NOT the system update that has been in public beta and will be deployed shortly.

The new disc format that is part of the beta has been rigorously tested across all Xbox 360 models and there are no known compatibility issues.

Hope that clears a few things up.

Xbox 360 By Larry Hryb, Xbox LIVE's Major Nelson

permalink: http://majornelson.com/2011/05/18/clearing-up-some-confusion/

Edit: eh already posted

Is there any way to test it? I mean, maybe the error occurs with specific games (cause the guy's console in the OP was working fine).

IS THIS WHY IT STOPPED READING DISCS?!!!

I thought it was just a faulty drive!

It happened the day after the update too!

Also a 60 gig!!!

*squees*

Willeth

Sagitario said:
Is there any way to test it? I mean, maybe the error occurs with specific games (cause the guy's console in the OP was working fine).
I've just realised I haven't actually run a disc in my 360 for a long time. Everything I have is installed. Guess I'm loading up Prototype or something to test.

Woffls

So has anyone been having disc reading problems recently? Has anyone been contacted saying that their console could be affected?

My system has been having disc read errors for a few weeks now (don't know how many weeks exactly) but I've not been contacted. I'll be phoning Microsoft tomorrow either way to see what they say.

On my system it happens with games, DVD's and CD's. Some work instantly, some take a lot of attempts, and some I just gave up with and might not work at all. Both my Xbox's have been sent in for repair at some point, so I don't know what hardware is in them, but I think they were both repaired in March 2008.

Kibbles

Damnit I want a slim. I was in the beta and my xbox didn't die. Piece of shit not breaking, screw you!

[edit] My console does have problems reading discs sometimes (even the new beta disc which has 0 scratches on it) but I eventually can get it to work. Is this the same? Or can people just not get it working completely. It's been like this for a while for me too, not just since I got the beta update. I just noticed it wasn't my fault because even the beta disc which has 0 scratches unlike my other games, has the problem every so often.

/wishful thinking.

Hylian7

I sort of wanted a free slim, but it looks like I won't be getting one. I have the 20GB Halo 3 Edition 360, and popped in Bayonetta and it worked just fine.

Woffls said:
So has anyone been having disc reading problems recently? Has anyone been contacted saying that their console could be affected?

My system has been having disc read errors for a few weeks now (don't know how many weeks exactly) but I've not been contacted. I'll be phoning Microsoft tomorrow either way to see what they say.

On my system it happens with games, DVD's and CD's. Some work instantly, some take a lot of attempts, and some I just gave up with and might not work at all. Both my Xbox's have been sent in for repair at some point, so I don't know what hardware is in them, but I think they were both repaired in March 2008.

My XBox refuses to play some games unless I eject them about 20 times, cross my fingers and pray to baby Jesus. But then other discs will play fine without argument. It started happening around March or so, with games that used to work well.

I assume it's more likely my DVD drive is just dying, but I've emailed Microsoft just to see if I can get anything out of it.

So those of us who have older 360's pray for problems (for the free upgrade)

While ps3 gamers pray for psn stability and health.

??????? I love this gen!

Kibbles

GotEmRunnin said:
So those of us who have older 360's pray for problems (for the free upgrade)

While ps3 gamers pray for psn stability and health.

??????? I love this gen!
lol yeah. I actually have two older Xbox 360s (one's now my little brother's) so I'm hoping is affected by this. Damn you Xbox, DIE, DIE!
LLShC.gif

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
What games would work when testing this? LA Noire?

Also, would one have to have a newer dic rejected to trigger the free 360 offer? Or is simply updating the console enough?

fernoca

Guess Gahiggidy bumped the wrong thread. :p

EDIT:

Or not? The free replacement if your unit was damaged by the firmware update? That only applied to that firmware update..and back then.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
fernoca said:
Guess Gahiggidy bumped the wrong thread. :p

EDIT:

Or not? The free replacement if your unit was damaged by the firmware update? That only applied to that firmware update..and back then.
Hmmm, just ran across this bit of info...
Update: Microsoft has responded, confirming that the earlier statement was incorrect and this is not related to the update being beta tested. If you're wondering how many people are in for a swap, all we could find out is that something less than 10,000 of the 50 million or so Xbox 360s sold worldwide are affected. Check after the break for the official word, but if you have one of the boxes and are connected to XBL you should expect to receive a notice in your email.
Well, looks like I might have give some bad advice to a family member. I remembered this story about people with early Xbox 360s getting replacements due to the update, but thought it was much more widespread. My brother has an old one that he stopped playing years ago, due to no good games, so I told him to dig it back up and and try see if it qualifies for free replacement. Damn thing wouldn't even start normally; it freezes with blinking red lights around its eye. I recommended he put it in a warm oven for a few minutes, which did help. Next problem was that the thing would not update the dashboard without a storage device, but his neighbor's kids stole the original hard drive to hawk at a pawn shop. Yesterday he got a loaner drive and finally updated the dash. But no email yet gifting a replacement unit. Tonight he just sent me a message that he thought to go rent a new xbox dvd to try out, LA Noire. But I don't even think that one came out since the dvd format was adopted.

Anyways, I guess this was a waste of time. Personally, I didn't even want him to have a new Xbox --- I just figured it would hurt Microsoft's margins in a small, small way.

mavs

Gahiggidy said:
Hmmm, just ran across this bit of info...Well, looks like I might have give some bad advice to a family member. I remembered this story about people with early Xbox 360s getting replacements due to the update, but thought it was much more widespread. My brother has an old one that he stopped playing years ago, due to no good games, so I told him to dig it back up and and try see if it qualifies for free replacement. Damn thing wouldn't even start normally; it freezes with blinking red lights around its eye. I recommended he put it in a warm oven for a few minutes, which did help. Next problem was that the thing would not update the dashboard without a storage device, but his neighbor's kids stole the original hard drive to hawk at a pawn shop. Yesterday he got a loaner drive and finally updated the dash. But no email yet gifting a replacement unit. Tonight he just sent me a message that he thought to go rent a new xbox dvd to try out, LA Noire. But I don't even think that one came out since the dvd format was adopted.

Anyways, I guess this was a waste of time. Personally, I didn't even want him to have a new Xbox --- I just figured it would hurt Microsoft's margins in a small, small way.

wxLLa.gif

Top Bottom