• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KotakuAU: 360 FW update breaks very small number of consoles, MS will comp new 360S

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
This better not happen to mine. :| I know they won't replace my Japanese model with another one if it does. Plus the 360s is ugly as hell.

FrankT

Checking 360 drives.com these are the 4 I'm seeing from the 60GB models;

Philips-LiteOn 16D2S
Hitachi-LG 3120L
Philips-BenQ 6038
Toshiba-Samsung H943

The first by far and away the most reported while the Hitachi and the Toshiba models the least I believe.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
We have come to this, I can't believe it. 2011 and people now hope their 360 bricks during a FW update, lmao I hope it happens to me! LOL

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Smiles and Cries said:
Microsoft is probably the only company that could survive these issues without blinking an eye
They got like 50 bllion in cash lol

These bastards could give an Xbox 720 to every US household and not go bankrupt.

Hanmik

"This issue manifests itself a as a unique “disc unreadable” or “disc unsupported” error on the screen. We are also able to detect this issue over Xbox LIVE and are proactively reaching out to customers that may be impacted to replace their console. Any Xbox 360 owners receiving this error are encouraged to contact us at www.xbox.com/support/contact so we can verify if the console has been impacted."

http://xbox-360.nowgamer.com/news/5842/xbox-disc-update-ms-will-replace-affected-360s

eso76

uhhh..i still have a dayone xbox360 (it's been in a closet for years, since i bought a new model with hdmi).
I can't wait, i would really like a slim :D

MMaRsu

Banned
So is this a way I can get a free repair for my broken disc drive?

Because I can't pay 120 euro's for it.

Or is that like a scam. Because imo it's a scam to ask 120 euro's to replace a disc drive when you're a loyal customer who has already been through 3 360's.

MaddenNFL64

Oh shit, a friend of mine had freezing issues trying to play games after the update. Free Xbox & year of XBL coming :O.

Jelly.

I want this issue too! :(

Detox

MMaRsu said:
So is this a way I can get a free repair for my broken disc drive?

Because I can't pay 120 euro's for it.

Or is that like a scam. Because imo it's a scam to ask 120 euro's to replace a disc drive when you're a loyal customer who has already been through 3 360's.
I had the disk drive problem as well, if you force a RROD by wrapping it in towels they will repair the console for you.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
So, the gist of the problem is that the firmware causes certain 360s to not be able to read the new XGD3 disks.

I guess the question is: What games use this format? If these types of games aren't out yet, when should we be expecting them?

DaBuddaDa

What's stopping someone from breaking their drive, then calling Microsoft support and claiming it "stopped working" after updating the firmware?

Raide

DaBuddaDa said:
What's stopping someone from breaking their drive, then calling Microsoft support and claiming it "stopped working" after updating the firmware?

"This issue manifests itself a as a unique “disc unreadable” or “disc unsupported” error on the screen. We are also able to detect this issue over Xbox LIVE and are proactively reaching out to customers that may be impacted to replace their console. Any Xbox 360 owners receiving this error are encouraged to contact us at www.xbox.com/support/contact so we can verify if the console has been impacted."

Just busting the drive won't give you the error.

Chinner said:
first time i've actually wanted my xbox to break.

It's all part of Microsoft's brand new marketing direction. Your console breaking is a desirable feature now rather than a detractor. It's genius really.

Stubo

ThoseDeafMutes said:
It's all part of Microsoft's brand new marketing direction. Your console breaking is a desirable feature now rather than a detractor. It's genius really.
How long until someone puts toast in their drive to stop it working and then complains when it doesn't get replaced for free?

Raide

AndyMoogle said:
Once the word goes out what the error screen looks like and what it says, people might be able to abuse it that way.

Since you have to be online to get the latest update, I am guessing MS is going to grab those details when you get the error flashing up. The mentioned a Pro-active thing, so I am hoping they see the error and contact the user.

I am sure there will be people that try to fake the error, just to get free stuff. Always happens. :D

Stubo

Raide said:
Since you have to be online to get the latest update, I am guessing MS is going to grab those details when you get the error flashing up. The mentioned a Pro-active thing, so I am hoping they see the error and contact the user.

I am sure there will be people that try to fake the error, just to get free stuff. Always happens. :D
Old drives price hike on eBay in 5, 4, 3...

[Nintex]

So is this how Microsoft is going to solve every problem they have from this point forward, hand out new Xbox's?

EU: "Just so you know this Nokia takeover isn't going to happen."
MS: "Oh.. well how about we give you a free Xbox!"

brentech

Wario64 said:
They probably found a pattern...I wonder what they're gonna do for X360s that don't go on Live, lol
Those people will be paying for all the other new 360s =O
A lot of people I used to work with, as soon as the thing would break, they were so tired of sending in their 360s that they'd just go buy a new one. I'm sure some people will call and get a new one, other's will just take it hard.

danmaku

InfiniteNine said:
This better not happen to mine. :| I know they won't replace my Japanese model with another one if it does. Plus the 360s is ugly as hell.

Same here. This update is going to be a terrible pain in the ass for gamers with import consoles.

FrankT

More from DF;

Some 360s incompatible with new dash?
May 18th, 2011

According to news from Kotaku, the new Xbox 360 firmware upgrade arriving imminently is incompatible with "a very small number" of consoles, and will prevent certain games from running on the console. The good news is that the platform holder will replace these machines with a brand new Xbox 360 S with 250GB hard drive.

It's a remarkable story, with Kotaku inferring that the new XGD3 disc standard - which adds 1GB of useable data to 360 DVDs - may not be compatible with a certain percentage of Xbox 360 DVD drives. However, the truth behind this incompatibility appears to be somewhat more involved. Since the arrival of the beta version of the new dashboard, hackers have been reverse-engineering it and finding a number of surprising additions never seen before in previous upgrades.

Firstly, this new release is the first that will actually see the drive firmware being rewritten by the Xbox 360 itself. Any one using a current hacked DVD drive will find that updating to the new dash instantly kills their ability to run pirate software, with the hacked code completely expunged from the DVD drive. Microsoft has employed a wide range of DVD drives in its machines from launch - the best guess is that not all of them can be flashed directly, necessitating a swapped console.

This new firmware doesn't just open up the additional 1GB of space previously set aside for the outdated, compromised security scheme - it features a completely brand new anti-piracy mechanism. In the past, previous attempts to foil piracy (such as AP 2.5) only worked on certain drives, with the feature disabled if you had older hardware. With the new system, it seems that the anti-piracy measures are so deeply embedded that they cannot simply be skipped in the same way.

We've also heard a number of reports that the new security protocols go beyond simply updating the dash. Multiple developer sources have told us that Microsoft has upped its game here significantly, and is now calling on studios to help get involved in combating Xbox 360 game piracy. According to this information, new APIs are being worked on that programmers can add to their titles which perform additional scans of the DVD during gameplay, not just when the game is booted as is currently the case.

Burned copies of Xbox 360 games are not 100 per cent identical to the originals, so hacked DVD drive firmware masks the differences with on-the-fly patching. Microsoft's hope is that in-game checks will be far harder to isolate and patch, and with control of these features in the developer's hands, pirate copies of games could even be "downgraded" into playable demos - for example, they could become non-functional after a couple of levels' play.

XDG3 is clearly a big deal for Microsoft - as evidenced by the company effectively giving away free Xboxes to ensure compatibility for all its userbase - but whether its new anti-piracy measures will be enough remains to be seen. The firm's last effort - AP2.5 - was dispensed with in a matter of days, and already drive firmware hacker "commodore4eva" is claiming that he has defeated the new countermeasures introduced in the beta dash...

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-new-xbox-dash-doesnt-work-on-all-drives

Oppo

All this for an extra 1GB per disk. So weird.

edit - ah, post above mine elucidates. It really is a big security update, and the 1GB is "bonus".

superfluous edit - this phrase: "Microsoft has upped its game here" -needs to die.

FrankT

PortTwo said:
All this for an extra 1GB per disk. So weird.

edit - ah, post above mine elucidates. It really is a big security update, and the 1GB is "bonus".

Pretty much. Seems like the piracy end is the bigger deal for MS here and they are getting devs on boards with the new tools.

Curufinwe

PortTwo said:
superfluous edit - this phrase: "Microsoft has upped its game here" -needs to die.

But it worked so well for Marcus...

Picture-43.png

Top Bottom