• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: "sources" Say Microsoft is "in fact" making a second disc-less console (Lockhart) along with Scarlett despite Phil saying otherwise.

Ten_Fold

If it was only disc less and NOT under powered and cheaper then it will sell well. Unless they create a license to sell my digital games I will go with the disc version.

NickFire

I would be totally fine if Sony also released two SKUs with the PS5, one with a optical drive and one without. I am full digital on my games and the only reason I want the optical drive is for my 4K blu-ray collection, which I know some people could care less about, so why not save a few bucks going with a discless version for them, as long as they don't compromise on any of the other system specs.
I want most machines from all companies to include optical still. Not because I use it (almost never). Simply because once everything is digital, the console companies have us by the balls on pricing.

Ar¢tos

I would be totally fine if Sony also released two SKUs with the PS5, one with a optical drive and one without. I am full digital on my games and the only reason I want the optical drive is for my 4K blu-ray collection, which I know some people could care less about, so why not save a few bucks going with a discless version for them, as long as they don't compromise on any of the other system specs.
It's not worth it. The drive costs them pennies and the space underneath it is used by other things. To remove the drive you either end up with a Xbox SAD design (same design without disc slot) or you need a full redesign.

Well now there is no excuse to not bring all the "awesome" perks (lies) that Microsoft promised at the beginning of last gen to the people who buy completely into their closed ecosystem with no way out. Bring on the digital trading, family sharing and so on for your digital customers Microsoft.

I want most machines from all companies to include optical still. Not because I use it (almost never). Simply because once everything is digital, the console companies have us by the balls on pricing.

Yeah, I totally agree, I never want it to go full discless, I think the option should always be there. I wish there would be a way that you could buy the disc version and install the initial game from the disc and then play the game without the need of the disc after that (unless you uninstall the game), then I would go back to buying disc versions of the game just for the fact that it would save on install times when getting new games versus having to download the whole thing from the internet, it would also help people with data caps seeing that the games are only getting larger as time goes on.

Journey

Banned
If they're making a less powerful version, expect the games to be scaled to fit that.

You do understand this includes PS5 when it comes to multi-platform games, if this is in fact true. But thankfully it's not, games will be made at the highest spec using PC standards and trickled down to consoles as always, this is just your typical armchair dev drivel.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Microsoft weighing their options on little things like this is why they aren't leading the console wars. I don't care if the console has a disk tray or not the system needs GAMES.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Gamers today don't need disk trays, PC abandoned them because of Steam and if you TRULY want a disk tray just buy an attachment, the space is hurting the console designs imo and console manufacturers could save $.

NickFire

Splitting your customers from day one seems like a really bad idea.
The accountants and xcloud people probably say limiting your console audience to those who buy a $500 high end console that won't be able to stream games any better due to bandwidth issues, seems like a really bad idea.

That said, because I see streaming as a current fad with potential for the future, I tend to agree with you. But the more streaming is factored in, along with the benefits of being cheaper, the more I am starting to believe that MS believes a cheaper streaming box is their ticket to huge profits.

FranXico

Like I said in another thread, imagine them doing another tiered launch on top of that.

That'll be a recipe for disaster.
I mean, they look back at the 360, where there was the cheap SKU and the one with a HDD, and must think that it would be ok.

Bryank75

Banned
You guys would suck at business if the decisions were up to you. This is very smart, and it won't handicap anything.
It's not good for the industry and progression of game development and tech but it is 'smart' since MS obviously understand that a huge amount of their sales come from mothers who want to save a buck or two and are completely out of touch.

The moms couldn't resist the 110 dollar Xbox deals this Black Friday it seems...

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

It's bad for everyone.
A weaker Lockhart means games have to be made with Lockhart limitations (weaker cpu = less NPCs, worse AI , etc) and probably means another parity clause to prevent 3rd parties from making use of ps5 cpu since the ps5 version doesn't need to be hampered by a "lockhart".

Terrible idea and not a believable rumour.

Scarlett would have to be £600+ for the need to have a gimped out of the gate, next gen console at £400, which would kill the sales of the X.

Discless is all well and good for people with fast, reliable, uncapped internet. Outside of that, not so much.

Fake rumour. It doesn't fit in a business model.

Xbox one : £150
Xbox one SAD: £150 + games
Xbox one X: £300
Xbox Scarlet: £450- £600
Xbox Lockhart: £???

Lockhart would have to be demonstrably more powerful than an X to justify the price, but not as powerful as a Scarlett, for the price. Either Scarlett is up at £800 for a console or Lockhart will be an X with a Scarlett CPU.

I can't imagine how confusing this will be for non-gaming customers.

Can i have an Xbox?
A one, An S, A Scarlett..?
What's the new one?
Scarlett and Lockhart
No the newest one
Scarlett and Lockhart are both new
Ahh fuck it, give me a PS5

Edit: with no disc tray how do I play 4k movies?

Last edited:

nikolino840

I said this in another thread:

IF, if lockheart is back im convinced Microsoft have no idea, long term plan, or vision for their next gen console. If Lockheart is back this is another example, like they've done all generation, of throwing crap against the wall to see/hope something sticks. Theyve abandoned the advice and wishes of third party developers on this, are writing off potential future technology like VR, with nothing to replace it, and betting their entire future on cloud streaming when there isnt any clear demand from a large portion of consumers. I beleive we are looking at a Sega Saturn to Sega Dreamcast transition and fall right here.
And if there's no others consoles you mean that MS have their ideas and plans and visions?

xiseerht

You guys would suck at business if the decisions were up to you. This is very smart, and it won't handicap anything.
Thank you . I am so glad that these companies don't listen to sites like this . Nothing would ever change or push forward .

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Sorry but I simply don't see losing the optical drive being that big of a cost saver. Especially when it seems that a big part of the draw of next gen is going to be a somewhat elaborate memory/storage arrangement.

TeamGhobad

Banned
Like I said before Lockhart is just Anaconda without the discdrive. MS actually will make more money off of Lockhart cause then they control the entire monetary ecosystem. lockhart is 100-50 bucks cheaper.

Achillias

This is a great idea. More choices, I'm going to buy the most powerful console (which I always do) but their are a lot of people who don't need that. More options for people, so they can decide which they're going for, is always good.

Bryank75

Banned
Like I said before Lockhart is just Anaconda without the discdrive. MS actually will make more money off of Lockhart cause then they control the entire monetary ecosystem. lockhart is 100-50 bucks cheaper.
No, it was said to be the same power as a PS4 pro....

SleepDoctor

Banned
It's not good for the industry and progression of game development and tech but it is 'smart' since MS obviously understand that a huge amount of their sales come from mothers who want to save a buck or two and are completely out of touch.

The moms couldn't resist the 110 dollar Xbox deals this Black Friday it seems...

Pretty much this. They will sell pretty well if they undercut the competition and Scarlett by at least $100. Mostly clueless parents and casuals will purchase.

It will obviously hurt development tho for those of us who want the most out of the new consoles.

No, it was said to be the same power as a PS4 pro....
Rumored to be the same Tflops as the Pro. That's one component of the architecture. GPU, SSD, etc.

Rumors are rumors until we get real numbers from the real source but I agree, 4 Tflops is worrisome to say the least. Less than the X?

anaconda 500, lockhart 450-400, X 300, S 150, sad 99
Lockhart at 450 is dead on arrival. Even $400 seems problematic unless Scarlet/PS5 are $600. A $100 price difference for lower performance makes no sense. Using the gaming pc comparison, cheap pc gaming rigs exist because the cost difference is decently substantial. A $100 price difference for such a difference in end product makes zero sense.

cireza

Banned
with fast, reliable, uncapped internet
I don't have this and my Xbox library is 100% digital. Who cares about the internet speed when you download and install the games ? It takes time to download, but that's it.

Still Xbox is my only bluray device for movies, so I probably won't pick the digital model.

Last edited:
I don't have this and my Xbox library is 100% digital. Who cares about the internet speed when you download and install the games ? It takes time to download, but that's it.

Still Xbox is my only bluray device for movies, so I probably won't pick the digital model.
Because for 4k games, capped internet is a killer and alienates the fan base.

TeamGhobad

Banned
Lockhart at 450 is dead on arrival. Even $400 seems problematic unless Scarlet/PS5 are $600. A $100 price difference for lower performance makes no sense. Using the gaming pc comparison, cheap pc gaming rigs exist because the cost difference is decently substantial. A $100 price difference for such a difference in end product makes zero sense.

lockhart is anaconda without discdrive (my theory) so exactly the same power.

Dabaus

Banned
I genuinely have to wonder what the return rate for SAD edition will be. Im willing to bet a good percentage of buyers didnt realize it did not have a disc drive. It was heavily discounted so of course it would sell decently. I just wonder if large percentage of purchasers saw "xbox" and "99" dollars or however much it was and didnt think about it.

Last edited:
lockhart is anaconda without discdrive (my theory) so exactly the same power.
The rumors say the opposite.
Microsoft’s Anaconda console will be the true next-gen leap, and sources tell The Verge that Microsoft is targeting more than 10 teraflops of graphical power on this particular console. Plans for Lockhart may change, but currently this console will debut with around 4 teraflops of graphical power.

Kotaku reports that Lockhart will include a solid state drive, and will be targeted toward 1440p gaming rather than the 4K gaming that will be available on Anaconda.

Last edited:
Top Bottom