• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Maybe just Delay the next gen already

Should the next gen get delayed?

• Yes, put it back in the oven it's not done cooking

Votes: 51 12.3%
  • No. We have launch windows for games that look good

Votes: 68 16.3%
  • "Maybe" STFU Kotaku

Votes: 297 71.4%

• Total voters
I can't help but notice how these hot takes never came up when people thought Xbox was rearing to go and PlayStation was quiet because they "had nothing" or just general concern about them.

Now that it's clear PlayStation is ready and Xbox is launching with pure Third-Party & BC support, the entire gen needs to be delayed? Really? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Microsoft would be best off tying their launch strategy to Cyberpunk with same Day 1 release. Have advertising seem that it is an Xbox Series X exclusive. Pay for either exclusive DLC or DLC is first on Xbox. Spencer has fuck all else in the bag.
Wow you seriously think Cyberpunk is the only game for the system? You've either turned an obvious blind eye to what's really coming or you are truly clueless.

Where is all this ‘Sony is ready’ shit coming from? R&C won’t be out at launch it seems, and they haven’t shown anything of Spider-man? Hopefully that’s ready for launch, but what if it’s not?

(buying both day one btw)

From Sony?

Is Kotaku aware of this?

"We will launch this year -- that will happen -- and from my end we will absolutely make sure that we will bring all of the magic and all of the excitement of launches that we have had in the past."

Last edited:

dottme

Seriously, the marketing campaign is running like crazy. They are probably already working with retailer and console are in production.
They have to release them. You don’t delay hardware like you delay software.

Chronos24

I didn't have to come in to this thread to already know the response the poll has. Shut the fuck up Kotaku... Seriously. 2020 needs something good to happen and the PS5 and XSX are those things

Would the delay come with adjustments in the specs in either of the boxes?

If the answer is no, then don't delay it. If they're as powerful as they're gonna get, might as well release them as soon as they can. We'll be playing on them for 7 years.

CrysisFreak

Banned
His twitter:

Translation: Politics are ruining his life thus everyone else should be just as unhappy.

Kindly, fuck off.

This guy has a mental illness I think.
Focus on what brings people joy, not only on what triggers you. If you don't want to focus on joy, then at least don't judge people who do.
Jeez haha.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
People saying "fuck Kotaku", and some will buy one game and will just wait for something long after, or won't even buy a new console

whitesugar

Banned
the hardware is ready, and that is what is important. 2021 is not shaping up to be a stellar year for software, but launch years rarely are in modern gaming. but it's up to the hardware makers to push things along and it's been 7 years already.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
FFS at the very least people can play the best console versions of multiplats. There is no fucking reason to deprive millions of that. Also there are millions of each systems/components in some state of manufacturing already. It would be a phenomenal waste to hold on to that inventory and then halt that manufacturing line. Whoever wrote this is a fucking fool.

thelastword

Banned

"The Xbox Series X comes out in November, probably around the same time as the PS5 if Sony ever gets around to announcing its release date. But they don’t need to come out then. In fact, maybe it would be for the best if they were just delayed until some time next year."

No Kotaku, PS5 is ready. The games are looking good and demoed. Bring next gen on in November......Those who are not ready with games can delay of course.....but PS has the next gen games are are ready to go. No need to wait for others....

Sony is in prime position to take a commanding lead especially with having a launch line up and you're telling them to delay it?

if your enemy is drowning in a pool you simply dont help them up, you stick a hose in their mouth and turn that sucker on.
what launch lineup?

McHuj

At least for the Xbox, I don't think a delay would really matter. Honestly, Halo looks like it needs more than a year. And everything else they have shown looks to be 2+ years out. It's not just Covid, bad management and planning. Things aren't going to be better next quarter or the one following that so either you launch now and hope people buy it for COD and start building an install base.

For PS, I don't know. The next two weeks should answer everything with the next show. I'm sure they have their own problems, but if they can get Rachet launched in November and Demon Souls by end of Feb, then there's no need for a delay. If they were even entertaining the idea of a delay, I doubt they would increase console volume production.

GeorgPrime

Banned

"The Xbox Series X comes out in November, probably around the same time as the PS5 if Sony ever gets around to announcing its release date. But they don’t need to come out then. In fact, maybe it would be for the best if they were just delayed until some time next year."

Woketaku again? No.... just shut the fuck up

TheMan

Personally I think they should come out because we need the distraction and the demand is there.

That said I fully realize that neither system actually has anything resembling a compelling launch library. And btw, to me, “launch window” doesn’t count...if a game is a launch game then it needs to be something I can play on the same day the console comes out. And right now, I have no idea what either launch game list looks like, but nothing shown so far is really exciting to me- at least not exciting enough to justify dropping hundreds of dollars. Plus, with COVID-related delays, it will probably take 1 to 1.5 years before the post launch drought passes. So I guess what I’m saying is, if it makes people happy then release the damn things, but personally I’m probably going to wait a while anyway before buying.

Last edited:

hemo memo

Gold Member
Very slow week for Kotaku that’s why they looked for clickbait. Sadly it’s effective as it got them this thread and more clicks.

From what I've gathered here (didn't bother reading that either) the journalist is saying nothing shown so far is impressive. Sums it up to faster loads and up-rezed texture. Then goes on to say that the world is depressing right now, the upcoming election and national turmoil over shadow any next gen hype

Spiderman looks like a next gen title.

Top Bottom