• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku - Journey To The Savage Planet Is Fun, But Please Stop Using That Word

But he is not wrong, you know...
Instead of joying the mob here I went to watch the video and it's a good video. He isn't denouncing the game for using the world, he talked with the developer last year and they're clear. But the event made he think and he took the opportunity to talk about this subject. And liking you to recognize this or not, "Extermination and Re-Education" of "savages" is not only something very, very recent, it's something that is still happening today in parts of the world.

Good to know, never bad to learn something, right?
It would be more relevant if we were British colonialists from the 1800's. Yea, it is bad to entertain these virtue signalers egos.

But he is not wrong, you know...
Instead of joying the mob here I went to watch the video and it's a good video. He isn't denouncing the game for using the world, he talked with the developer last year and they're clear. But the event made he think and he took the opportunity to talk about this subject. And liking you to recognize this or not, "Extermination and Re-Education" of "savages" is not only something very, very recent, it's something that is still happening today in parts of the world.

Good to know, never bad to learn something, right?

What mob?

Also, why should a word's usage in one context determine how it's interpreted in another? Why cherry pick certain words that are above context?

Last edited:

Gargus

Banned
For God's sake atleast stop posting links to it. Last thing we need to do is give shitaku more hits. That site needs to fucking die.

Everytime they get a hit on their site it's one more they can report to advertisers to show them how much traffic they get. More traffic means more ads. More ads means the more money they make.

It would be more relevant if we were British colonialists from the 1800's. Yea, it is bad to entertain these virtue signalers egos.
It's more relevant than you think.
I'm just a person from this century, that knows about things that happened centuries ago, realize that there may be lingering consequences and that may in essence happen again. Or worse, like I had already pointed, it never stopped.

What mob?

Also, why should a word's usage in one context determine how it's interpreted in another? Why cherry pick certain words that are above context?
That word is still being used in the same context on occasion.
Like I already described, he thought about this, talked with the developer, researched a bit, thought about a bit more and then he made the video and the article. Because is something that it's good to know.
Certainly is not bad to know and think about these things. Ins't hurting out, I believe? Surely is not hurting all of you that will remain very far and not see and think about that Kotaku article, right?

Last edited:
What a dumbass. Yeah, "savage" can be used to describe uncivilized, barbaric people. It can also mean "wild" or "dangerous" as an adjective. It's almost like words can have different meanings in different contexts!

I didn't read the article because I'm not about to give kotaku clicks that easily, but it sounds retarded.

That's a non sequitur, we're talking about people using it in a different context. You have to justify why someone using it in a different context should have their usage interpreted as offensive.

For example in a certain context "lit" can mean the past tense of "light" in another "lit" can mean "cool," "awesome," "sweet" or any other generic phrase that expresses a positive acknowledgement of something. Your argument has to show why I should interpret "lit" as "light" no matter what.

If that example is too millennial for you think of the word "killer." It can mean someone who kills people or, again, a generic word that expresses positivity. This is the same for basically every single word in existence. How people interpret them is all due to the context of their usage. You have to explain why "savage" should somehow be different for some reason.

Metnut

I’d have more respect for them if they were being truly intellectually honest by trying to uniformly not use offensive language.

Just scroll down a little on the front page and it says “god damn” right in one of their headlines. Seems like they are more interested in virtue signaling rather than actually trying to use language respectful to all.

Savage seems as racist as "Filthy". Yea if you are calling a group of people Filthy that is racist... just like calling a group of people Savages is racist, but its an adjective it's not a noun.

Bullet Club

0OyGCQe.jpg

Whitesnake

Banned

How often do you think that word is used in the context of belittling others compared to literally any and all other definitions? Do you believe Randy Savage, 21 Savage, and Fred Savage are all evil racists?

Do you have similar moral objections to the phrase “barbarian”, which was used by Romans as a blanket term to describe non-Romans, which were seen as lesser races/nationalities?

This whole premise is ridiculous. If we got rid of every word that was ever used in a demeaning or insulting manner, we’d have no words left.

Last edited:
The very idea of the noble savage is a racist foundation to work from.

If you're against the civilizing of uncouth savages, then you'd by definition also have to be against providing lifesaving healthcare to needy populations, or against the domestication of animals, or against agriculture and the provisions of food surpluses.

So in my view he's wrong. Technological progress and its benefits should not be predicated or provided on the basis of romancing moral ambiguity. They should be provided on an as needed basis. I see those malnourished kids with worms in their swollen bellies and I think 'hmm, clearly their savage parents have never heard of hygiene or a varied diet, these kids are obviously suffering from an ignorant savage culture. Time for us to address this problem.'

Last edited:

Another word Kotaku has deemed bad for us to use, savage, cos it's got a racist history.../rolls eyes

tenor.gif
fKnFcdM.gif

Remember when journos got pissy that Horizon Zero Dawn used the words "brave" and "savage" in the dialogue? At least Horizon resembles indigenous culture so the complaints came from somewhere but the title of the game that takes place in a fictional planet with no indigenous people is not something I would nitpick over. Ah, well, to each his own.

Fnord

What a dumbass. Yeah, "savage" can be used to describe uncivilized, barbaric people.

Like... barbarians. So yeah, there's no inherent racist implication with the word. Yet another example of someone going out of their way to be offended (for someone else, even).

Fnord

GymWolf

I came for the savage, rekt gif and i was not disappointed.

These people are out of their fucking minds...

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
We used to have a friend called Sally Lynch, but we all stopped talking to her. How dare she have a name that reminds me of such horrors.

I also have another friend called Nina Eleven and I’m going to be asking her to change her ways later or she’s gone.

tassletine

I agree. Kotaku shouldn't be used. The word means obsessive fan that is small in size.

The site is clearly prejudiced against OCD dwarfs, or just thinks that small people with psychiatric disorders are funny in some way. DISGUSTING.

Welcome to current_year...

While that article is proper bullshit, I did chuckle at the fact that it goes on about cultural insensitivity and then uses the phrase North American Indians rather than Native Americans.

Top Bottom