• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Konami wants to publish your game – from indie to AA – with new third-party publishing unit launched

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

It’s fair to say that Konami’s dedication to console game publishing has been waning in recent years. You only have to look at the number of titles it’s been putting out a year to see that.

Once a big presence on the release schedule with top-selling titles such as Silent Hill, Pro-Evo soccer and Metal Gear Solid. It has more recently been taking what could best be described as a more pragmatic approach, concentrating on mobile titles in its domestic market and other elements of its business empire – rather than taking risks on big budget console releases.

Today, the company isn’t announcing a new Metal Gear Solid but it’s publicly stating that it’s coming back to the console (and PC) market with a new third-party publishing strategy. Yes, your next game could be published by Konami.

“We are open for business, we are looking for exciting and innovative titles of varying scale. And we’re really excited by this new programme. We can’t wait to show everyone where we’re going with it,” Konami’s Richard Jones, senior brand and business development manager, told MCV/DEVELOP this week.

And while he won’t be drawn on exact targets or budgets, the publisher is looking to build a considerable slate with third-party titles: “The primary objective of this programme is to bulk out our portfolio. And it is to bulk it out with exciting and diverse games, and specifically games that are targeting the western market as well.

“The idea is to diversify the portfolio. So we’re looking to work with external studios of all sizes, up to double-A and beyond at some point,” said Jones, hinting that top-tier budgets are a possibility in the future for the right title. But what is the right title for Konami? Is it something that will fit the brand’s traditional space, or is more looking to branch out and complement it, as Sega Europe has done with its strategy focus?

“I think that’s a really interesting analogy,” he says in reply. “We are looking to complement what is going on in Japan. So the dev teams in Japan are continuing to work on the Konami IP. And we will continue to publish those titles. And so the idea of what this programme offers is the chance for us at Konami Europe,and my colleagues in the US as well, is to find complementary titles.

Jones’s European team is looking for games that will appeal in Europe: “Western-centric IPs and games. Our main platform focus for now is premium PC and console. So those are the sort of areas where we’re looking to reinforce our release schedule.”

Check the link for more.

IKSTUGA

The world needs more Castlevania, Metal Gear Surv... Solid and Silent Hill. Remakes, remasters, I don't care, just give me something!

Degree

Banned
And at the same time they want Sony to publish their game and make it exclusive to Sony’s platform?

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I mean... look, it's easy to be snarky here. I mean, super fucking easy. But if Konami is making efforts to refocus on the core gaming business, I think that's at least a step in the right direction.

Now give me a new goddamn Beatmania IIDX console release, you fucking jerks.

chigstoke

"And what is the name of the game you'd like us to publish"

"Yes, it is called Setal Mear Golid 6"

"6? Why a 6 if you haven't even made the first one?"

"No reason"

KOMANI

KOMANI
They literally tried this approach 10 years ago. Better luck this time around. Anyhoot, this is good news for smaller developers who are looking for some exposure and worldwide distribution.

KOMANI

KOMANI
Did they have a leadership change in the last year or something? They've been making some changes lately. #unfuckonami
Nope. What has happened is that there’s beginning to be less revenue in gambling for Japanese companies ever since there were more laws placed (and the inclusion of Resorts).

AllyITA

so, now that all their IPs are pachinko machines they want other people's IP to eventually make pachinko machines.

ok

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
If there are some keen eyes in charge of the unit, this could be really good. A lot of excellent titles have come out when these larger devs "stoop down" to the indie scene to help with publishing.

Who knows? Maybe they'll form some relationships with these devs and leverage them to put out new games in the Konami stable of franchises. Konami has done this plenty in the past. Contra 4 (WayForward) and HardCorps (ASW) come to mind.

Please partner with indiezero and give us Metal Gear Rhythm Stealth: Solidest Snake.

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

And at the same time they want Sony to publish their game and make it exclusive to Sony’s platform?
If it's Sony Japan Studio making the game with SIE funds, only paying for a licensing of the IP, it makes sense for the game to be published by Sony and exclusive to Sony platforms. (if the rumors are true)

Top Bottom