• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Konami producer teases plans to outsource more IPs

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Shin Murato, producer at Konami, has hinted at plans to outsource more of the company’s gaming brands following the recent GetsuFumaDen revival.

Konami-Stand-Salon.png

Last month Konami revealed GetsuFumaDen: Undying Moon, a surprise sequel to 1987’s Getsu Fūma Den, which was released exclusively in Japan on Famicom systems.
Developed by indie studio GuruGuru in collaboration with Konami, GetsuFumaDen: Undying Moon is a 2D action game set in a dark fantasy world. It released this month through Steam Early Access and is also coming to Nintendo Switch in 2022.

In a new interview with JPGames, Konami’s GetsuFumaDen: Undying Moon producer Shin Murato was asked how the company decided to partner with GuruGuru on the project, and whether the Japanese firm is planning to outsource development of more of its old brands:
“We are continually inspired by various indie titles, and how they innovate and produce exciting games,” said Murato.
We felt that GetsuFumaDen would be an interesting IP to bring back to follow this indie approach, and so we decided to contact GuruGuru as we know the team well.
They had been exploring new approaches for graphical design and thought they would be a great fit for this IP. It also helped that there were fans of the original GetsuFumaDen game within the GuruGuru team."

“In terms of other collaborations, please wait for future projects like this!” he added.

Konami recently pulled out of plans to participate at June’s all-digital E3 2021 show due to “timing” issues, although it said it had “a number of key projects” in the works and would provide updates in the coming months.
It has been widely reported in recent months that Konami is working on new entries for its various game IPs, including Silent Hill (for example Metal Gear, Silent Hill or Castlevania)

Last edited:

Cravis

Could be cool.

In before the inevitable “Kojima studios working on Silent Hill” brigade.

Wished Wayforward would get their hands on the Contra license again.

Knightime_X

Please don't let mercury steam touch any castlevania ip again. pls
Or whoever ruined contra rogue corps and metal gear survival

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Shin Murato, producer at Konami, has hinted at plans to outsource more of the company’s gaming brands following the recent GetsuFumaDen revival.

Konami-Stand-Salon.png

Last month Konami revealed GetsuFumaDen: Undying Moon, a surprise sequel to 1987’s Getsu Fūma Den, which was released exclusively in Japan on Famicom systems.
Developed by indie studio GuruGuru in collaboration with Konami, GetsuFumaDen: Undying Moon is a 2D action game set in a dark fantasy world. It released this month through Steam Early Access and is also coming to Nintendo Switch in 2022.

In a new interview with JPGames, Konami’s GetsuFumaDen: Undying Moon producer Shin Murato was asked how the company decided to partner with GuruGuru on the project, and whether the Japanese firm is planning to outsource development of more of its old brands:
“We are continually inspired by various indie titles, and how they innovate and produce exciting games,” said Murato.
We felt that GetsuFumaDen would be an interesting IP to bring back to follow this indie approach, and so we decided to contact GuruGuru as we know the team well.
They had been exploring new approaches for graphical design and thought they would be a great fit for this IP. It also helped that there were fans of the original GetsuFumaDen game within the GuruGuru team."

“In terms of other collaborations, please wait for future projects like this!” he added.

Konami recently pulled out of plans to participate at June’s all-digital E3 2021 show due to “timing” issues, although it said it had “a number of key projects” in the works and would provide updates in the coming months.
It has been widely reported in recent months that Konami is working on new entries for its various game IPs, including Silent Hill (for example Metal Gear, Silent Hill or Castlevania)

19f0de6deb3b864809aa32f8316ab7a29ee14e0e.gif

Real-HipHopGamer

Neo Member

Konami-Stand-Salon.png

This article is interesting, what i can say personally is that KONAMI has 3 major well known franchises that are coming back, and the licensing of their IP's will continue to make great money for them based off demand. 2 everyone should already know and be aware of but that third one is gonna be something that's highly anticipated yet a surprising reality whenever it gets officially announced.

MrSec84

Bluepoint Games would make an amazing 3D Castlevania title after seeing what they did with Demon's Souls, but I think if they were handling anything it's likely the Metal Gear Series, maybe the first game remade.
If Santa Monica weren't busy with God of War Ragnarok and the rumoured New IP I think they could have been an awesome candidate for doing a Castlevania.

Supermassive Games could do a great Silent Hill title.
Konami has to know that a relationship close to Sony is why they original got the prestige they used to have, with how on their game Sony have been lately in supporting their devs with the level of creative freedom and pushing them to up their level of quality Konami needs to handle this just right and Sony is the one to make that happen.

Moon Studios could do a great 2D Castlevania, though I don't know how big the Studio is now and they're also supposed to be making a new IP for their next game.

CamHostage

Good for Konami, somebody should be making games for them.

Also, there's not a lot out about this GuruGuru development team but they appear to be Japanese, which is good to hear for fans of the Japanese indie scene, especially since a some of Konami's past outsourcing has been to western development studios like WayForward and MercurySteam.

However, some of you people are way overshooting what this news means. They're talking about getting independent studios to work on outsourced titles in the library, not necessarily flagship games to reinvigorate the brands. They started with GetsuFumaDen (which I defy most of GAF to say they knew one single thing about before the new game was announced...) We can calm down with the Metal Gears and Silent Hills and Castlevanias for a bit until they expand the program some more, we'll be lucky if we get a new Bayou Billy or Rainbow Bell Adventures...

Knightime_X

What's wrong with the first Castlevania?
Remember when mercury steam said: "Forget everything you know about castlevania."
That's when I knew they done fucked everything up.

It's castlevania in name only trying to be final fight trying to be god of war.

Had combat been closer to an action rpg and felt less of a beat'em up it would have been better.

Lords of shadow 2 was a shit show that had nice graphics.
Mirror of fate is just castlevania: Wish edition.

Arsic

With the insane popularity of the Castlevania anime I'm surprised they haven't rode the lightning for a new game.

They could hit it up on 4 fronts :

Symphony of the night remaster with stunning visuals like streets of rage 4

New classic game by the hollow knight devs or dead cell devs

A souls like game by fromsoftware

A new trilogy using the anime characters and visuals that is done by a talented studio that loves the IP

Yoboman

Ironic that video games saved their ass from a disaster year after they tried to turn their backs on it

Now they want to get back in but don’t have the talent to carry their own IP

ZoukGalaxy

Give Castlevania to Mercury Steam damn it !
Let them do a gorgeous a new masterpiece Lords Of Shadow 3 with an awesome soundtrack ! 💖

Last edited:

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Suikoden by the creators of Valkyria Chronicles. :p

I’m not holding my breath that these franchises will be resurrected or outsourced, but if it’s true, I hope they trust the franchises to companies who can actually do justice to majority of these games. Don’t be giving Silent Hill to one of those walking simulator indie guys for example.

SSfox

Yeah, it's a dead franchise unfortunately. Still, it was one of the highlights of a new generation, getting to see the next Metal Gear.

All good things come to an end.

Fuck Konami.
Yes, to me Tekken and MGS were always the highlight of a new gen. I bought ps2 with Tekken 4 and mgs2, ps3 with mgs4 and ps4 with mgsvtpp.

But tbh without Kojima I'm not looking forward to a new MGS, it will stinks just like Terminator movies after T2.

Also I second the fuck konami.

Kokoloko85

Nintendo should do Goemon

Would love to see MGS, Silent Hill, Zoe, Suikoden, Castlevania etc.

Sony should defo pick up MGS and Silent Hill

Top Bottom