• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

<<KONAMI: MGS FRANCHISE>> "Favourites" Thread #11 (Curated Poll)

What's it gonna be?

• Metal Gear Solid

• Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes

• Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty + Remakes/expansions/sundry

• Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater + Remakes/expansions/sundry

• Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots

• Metal Gear Solid 5: Ground Zeroes

• Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain + Remakes/expansions/sundry

• Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker

• Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops

• Metal Gear Rising: Revengance

• Metal Gear Acid 1/2

• Metal Gear Online 1/2

Results are only viewable after voting.

Tschumi

Heyo, let's get back to it!

... The tale so far....
Voted best Assassin's Creed title: Assassin's Creed 2
Voted best Supergiant Games title: Hades*
Voted best Blizzard title: Diablo 2 + Expansion/Remaster
Voted best Rockstar title: Red Dead Redemption 2
Voted best Naughty Dog title: Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
Voted best Valve title: Half-Life 2
Voted best Bungie title: Halo: Combat Evolved (vote-off vs Halo 3)
Voted best FromSoftware title: Bloodborne
Voted best Bethesda Softworks title: The Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim
Voted best Bioware title: Mass Effect 2
Voted best Konami (MGS) title: --
Voted best Konami (Everything Else) title: --
Voted best Arkane Studios title: --
Voted best Id Software title: --
Voted best Obsidian title: --
Yes, I intend to make some kind of graphic for this, but probably in a later thread because I'm busy atm.

.... Kept you waiting, huh? Wuddup body people. I'm a bit late on this one, most of the reason for the delay has been that I haven't known how to tackle Konami's body of work. Few developers have such a wide range of successful titles to chew over, and so disparate are some of the series concerned that I've decided to break this thing into a "Konami-MSG" thread and a "Konami-the rest" thread, or as near as maybe.

eUwgDQ.jpg

Metal Gear Solid Franchise Face-Off
I don't have too much to say here. Hideo Kojima ain't there anymore, Konami ain't the people they used to be, the developer is fallen by any measures I'm aware of, but the fact is some of the best games ever to grace consoles were produced by the marraige of Konami and the Metal Gear Solid franchise. So let's get our vote on.

Notes on the poll: Yes, MGS is a spin-off or something of Metal Gear, some 2D games from the 80s/90s, I'm not going to include those titles unless multiple people ask for them. I've tried to keep the poll focused, please back any additional releases- Susbtance, Subsistence, HD remakes, etc - by voting for their 'parent game'. ONE EXCEPTION BEING METAL GEAR SOLID: THE TWIN SNAKES, which is sufficent a reimagining of the OG title, imo, to be a seperate entry on the poll.

I have decided to include MGS games that were not made by Kojima as far as I know - Revengance, for instance - because this is a poll about KONAMI's MGS titles.

(man i wish we had a more robust shade of red to select for these fonts)

...stay tuned for Arkane...

If you have any suggestions for developers we can vote on, let me hear them!

IF you vote but don't bump the thread with a comment:

5ufyve.jpg

Last edited:

Tschumi

toughest one yet but I always knew i would vote MGS2

MGS3 will win 😑
I only voted for MGS5 over MGS2 because of how much content, story and intrigue there was... MGS2 defintely the most important in the series, to me, so beautiful, so refined, so fun, such tight controls, etc etc etc... i found mgs3 too hard to get in to...

.... really though, in general, after playing mgs5 i find the more sci-fi/fantasy powers of the bosses in 1-4 to be a bit too much... that's not to say mgs5 had none, but u could just spend so much time doing pretty realistic stuff that they didn't have so much influence over your enjoyment in 5... 5 has kinda ruined me for patience with boss fights that are designed to force you to use the most awkward controls in lieu of challenge in the earlier games... "how quickly can you manually aim at a bajillion guided missiles brah?" oi...

Notabueno

Banned
The equation is simple: those who don't know much about MGS and discovered it later will vote for the only one they played, MGSV (which is an unfinished game), otherwise there's no question that 2 and 3 reached the hallmarks of cinematographic, japanese, action game. I prefer the 2.

Last edited:

Tschumi

The equation is simple: those who don't know shit about MGS and discovered it later will vote for the only they knew, MGSV (which is an unfinished game), otherwise there's no question that 2 and 3 reached the hallmarks of cinematographic, japanese, action game. I prefer the 2.
i've played every game in the series when they came out, i'm not gonna jump on you for saying such a bullshit generalization but consider editing ur comment to chill it out a bit, tyvm

Woffls

The equation is simple: those who don't know much about MGS and discovered it later will vote for the only one they played, MGSV (which is an unfinished game), otherwise there's no question that 2 and 3 reached the hallmarks of cinematographic, japanese, action game. I prefer the 2.
or MGSV is actually fun to play, unlike every other MGS except 4.

TrueLegend

I cant choose....although MGSV has the best gameplay and is practically imperfectly perfect. So I would say....Metal Gear Rising: Revengance.....my boy Raiden deserves some appreciation.

Last edited:
I played Metal Gear Solid back when it was new for about five minutes, then an enemy teleported through my body, killed me, and I shut it off.

Recently I started playing MGSV:TPP and despite the incredible level of jank I'm enjoying the sandbox overall.

Pejo

I love the idea of the tradional MGS games, and Phantom Pain was probably the best stealth/action sandbox game yet created, but I had to go with Revengeance. It's like the perfect hack n' slash action game. The music, the weird story, the characters, the action. It was so good that it gave Platinum Games an undeserved reputation as the kings of action combat for a long time.

DelireMan7

I did a full (re)play of the main titles this summer (replay for 1-4 and first time for PW and Vs).

Before that, Metal Gear Solid was at the top easily. And after this marathon... Well it's still at the top for me. Love the atmosphere, story and characters. Every single characters feel important and not a second is wasted for me. Masterpiece !

Then the close second is Metal Gear Solid 3 : Snake Eater. I wish the bosses are more developed like in the first one. Other than that I don't see any flaws.

For third place, I can't decide between Peace Walker or Metal Gear Solid V (both Ground Zeroes or Phantom pain, they are just one game for me). It was my first for both and I was really impressed by Peace Walker (those comics books cutscenes... So beautiful). I was more mixed on V but in the end I really liked it. The gameplay is off the roof and I end up enjoying a lot the story.

Then would come Metal Gear Solid 2 : Sons of Liberty and Metal Gear Solid 4 : Guns of the Patriots. 2 being a masterpiece in my eyes but the story is too much convoluted for me toward the end. 4 is quite a mess filled with fanservice but it brings closure to a lot of plot lines from previous games. I found the gameplay to be really good. I enjoyed it much more than I did the first time. And as mentioned TheInfamousKira TheInfamousKira (it's the second time I mention you on "odd" choice, do you want to marry me ?), Act IV is the perfect fanservice I wanted and remains one of the most brilliant memories I have in this franchise. This final battle... It was a teenage dream coming to life !

And don't get me wrong, Metal Gear Solid games are all unique (and amazing) games and I recommend anyone who hasn't play them to try them !

Last edited:

Vagswarm

I'd have to go with MGS2. Never played the original and got stuck in 3. They pushed the realism too far and it didn't vibe with me. 5 was great but I wasn't able to complete it. 4 was also a lot of fun.

None of the games were bad, but 2 is the one that really hooked me from start to finish. Everyone was crying about the characters, but I thought what they did was brilliant. I also had some interest in conspiracy theories at the time, so the story was only mildly insane. lol.

If they remastered the first 3 games I'd definitely play them again.

Last edited:

Twin snakes.

Mgs on psx was a class act but this is always the version I go back to.

MGS 2 tanker was fun, but if disappointed about the lead change afterwards (I was), this was the way to play snake on next gen.

Tschumi

For me mgs2 is let down by the final act.. i think it ended too abruptly, think the final boss was kind of a let down considering the philosophy in the rest of the game.. that's really why i put mgs5 above it, when though mgs5 arguably had a similar issue lol, there was just enough of everything else to make up for it

Ellery

Have to go with the PS1 MGS, but 2 and 3 are also masterpieces. And all three for different reasons.

The style, atmosphere and setting in MGS1 felt just perfect to me. The scale and quality of the game were otherwordly during the PS1 era.

Jose92

[Membe
Voted for MGS3 but it was very close between MGS5 and 3.

The gameplay of MGS5 is the best in the series but the story is unfinished and rushed.

MGS3 is the better package overall.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
MGO2 not just for laughs but also it was a really important exclusive third person shooter think about that in the context of todays games.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
You need to combine the votes for Twin Snakes with MGS1. It is clear that MGS1 is the best of the series before it jumped the shark.

BaneIsPain

It is between MGS2 and MGS3. Memorable moment MGS2 - (Emma's death, arsenal, solidus and liquid ocelot reveal. although I'm not a fan of Raiden during the reveal) or MGS3 (who wouldn't like the various approach against The End and I think The Fear as well? , the final boss fight)

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
MGS2.

+Rock hard 60fps with some of the best graphics at the time. Incredible.
+Story and characters are masterclass (yes even the fat guy on rollerskates and the nagging girlfriend). Even with a lackluster English translation the game's story is still head and shoulders above most stuff coming out today.
+Controls and mechanics are extremely refined. Responsive controls and satisfying to master. High difficulties truly test the player's ability.
+Soooooo much replay value. Different rankings, dog tag collection, hundreds of vr missions, boss rush, snake tales, skateboarding. You can easily spend over 80 hours on this game and still not see everything.
-DEAD CELL aren't as cool as FOXHOUND or as fun to fight against as COBRAS.

But anyone picking MGS1 or MGS3 is cool in my book too.

Kokoloko85

I love all the main 1-5 MGS’s.
MGS is iconic and a game changer for me, a top 10 game, it was special. MGS2 was also awesome. Both trailers were epic and legendary.
MGS 5 had the best gameplay and longest, I spent over 300 hours in the game.

I loved MGS3 and can understand why its people’s favourite, probably the best story but I prefer the others. MGS4 had some special bits but not enough classic gameplay
I picked MGS1 but MGS5 had the best gameplay

Last edited:

K2D

Banned
I prefer the mechanics (not necessarily all the gameplay) of mgs5 the most, but on the whole, my favorite would be mgs3.

Glad to see it's in the lead.

Last edited:
Top Bottom