• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Konami is the top selling third-party publisher in Japan 2020 and Momotaro is the best selling game.

Woopah

Final Fantasy 7, Remake, FInal Fantasy 15, and kingdom heart 3 sold like hotkakes worldwise without a switch version. Why on earth would they make an exclusive dragon quest game for the switch?

Also, Capcom releasing Monster Hunter Rise without a PS4/PS5 version is LOL worthy especially given the sales of Monster Hunter World, which basically carried the whole company last Gen.
Dragon Quest is much more dependent on Japan sales than Final Fantasy or Kingdom Hearts. The mainline games have to come out on platforms that are big in Japan (which is why DQ11 had such a fucked up release pattern).

DQ12 needs to come to Switch and will probably come to PS5 too, unless Nintendo pays for exclusivity (which isn't likely is a possibility).
Nobody cares about the past sales for the Monster Hunter Games pre World. Now the most relevant comparison would be against the most resent Monster Hunter World numbers.

If Rise does not match or sells less than World, it will be considered a decline for the series and would be considered a flop. The barometer for the franchise is now set by World's standard, for world had released the franchise from the handheld ghetto.
Rise is releasing on 3 platforms vs. 2, it's not a flop if it sells less than World (it'll hit around 10 million or more, so not as much as World but a big return on investment).

You're acting like Rise is being made instead of a PS5 game, but's it's being made as well as one. Capcom will have Rise next year, an expanded version of Rise in 2022 and World 2 on next gen in 2023. This way they can:

1. Have a big MH release every year for the next 3 years.
2. Take advantage of the large install base of the Switch
3. Give the next gen consoles time to build up their own install bases
4. Maintain very strong sales of the franchise in Japan.

I think it's a very good approach. Capcom's general strategy is to have some Switch-focused projects, some PS/XB projects and then bring as much as they can to PC. It's the right thing to do.

Bodomism

Banned
Final Fantasy 7, Remake, FInal Fantasy 15, and kingdom heart 3 sold like hotkakes worldwise without a switch version. Why on earth would they make an exclusive dragon quest game for the switch?

Also, Capcom releasing Monster Hunter Rise without a PS4/PS5 version is LOL worthy especially given the sales of Monster Hunter World, which basically carried the whole company last Gen.
Monster hunter on less platform = less development and marketing cost for Capcom, it's possible they wanted more profits margin for Rise than just a big revenue with a small profits margin.

Monster Hunter on portable hardware in Japan and Worldwide is another thing that Capcom wanted to expand the series with Nintendo Switch.

They didn't want to exhaust the series with a yearly release on the same platform and diversity their portfolio with MH franchise.

Monster Hunter Series on 3DS sales number worldwide is around 17.7 million units.

Exclusive Dragon Quest is for domestic market, they had committed a huge mistake during 3DS era after deciding to simultaneously release 3DS and PS4 version when 3DS userbases were no longer active because the system was at the end of lifecycle in 2017 and PS4 with a tiny userbases. They had increased the dev and marketing cost for DQ11 but sold lower than previous game in Japan and needed the Switch version to level the sales when the Switch version was supposed to expand the sales.

SQE had also failed to expand the DQ franchise in the west.
Octopath Travellers sold more on Nintendo Switch in the west than DQ11 on PS4/PC/Switch in the west thanks to SQE incompetency.

Bodomism

Banned
Nobody cares about the past sales for the Monster Hunter Games pre World. Now the most relevant comparison would be against the most resent Monster Hunter World numbers.

If Rise does not match or sells less than World, it will be considered a decline for the series and would be considered a flop. The barometer for the franchise is now set by World's standard, for world had released the franchise from the handheld ghetto.
Unit sales isn't the most important part of business decision.

If Rise on Switch and PC brought the profit that was projected by Capcom IR than it would be a success for Capcom.

For example Nintendo generated profits nearly the total of the entire PS division had made during PS4 era in just half of the lifetime of PS4 despite not surpassing the number of hardware and software sold by PS4.

MagnesG

Banned

This is a retarded statement through and through. How could an exclusive release on single platform being able compete with a multiplatform release?

If it could at least match MHW it would already be considered a mega success, a lesser exclusive title vs AAA multiplatform title. MHW would be a fucking joke then.

A flop? Lol maybe we'll see the numbers then when Rise leaked PC port comes in. I hope you stay long enough because I'm gonna bookmark this shit.

K1Expwy

what a deplorable situation for a once great market

just by looking at the total domination of Nintendo you know they're fucked
There's nothing wrong with Nintendo/Switch domination. Honestly it's one of the few positive takeaways from JP game sales in the past 10 years. The mid-2010s were abysmal, aside from the mostly successful 3DS

I'll still take that top Western crap over the top Japanese crap.
64872a669c1dbbd707d065afcc58bf7b.gif

Belmonte

I'm at acceptance stage of grief. The kid in me is pissed but it is hard to expect they change their business model with so much money involved.

I hope they use all this money on proper console games after this pachinko/cellphone stuff ends. I hope it ends.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I'm at acceptance stage of grief. The kid in me is pissed but it is hard to expect they change their business model with so much money involved.

I hope they use all this money on proper console games after this pachinko/cellphone stuff ends. I hope it ends.
Mobile makes way more than PC/Console gaming...

Belmonte

Mobile makes way more than PC/Console gaming...

Yeah, and Konami is the top dog. This is why my only hope is a market change in the future. Perhaps in a decade or more it changes.

Not probable. But it is more probable than Konami changing their business model when earning so much money.

Woopah

Yeah, and Konami is the top dog. This is why my only hope is a market change in the future. Perhaps in a decade or more it changes.

Not probable. But it is more probable than Konami changing their business model when earning so much money.
The figures in the OP are physical console software games sold, nothing to do with mobile.

Holammer

I'm still in the bargaining phase. I mean... C'mon! They could make easy money licensing or having small teams making games on their classic properties, like companies such as Inti Creates or NatsumeAtari does. Even porting the existing WiiWare exclusive 'ReBirth' games (Castlevania, Gradius & Contra) to PC and modern systems would be free money.

Bodomism

Banned

Momotaro game is on Nintendo Switch not mobile phones.

kiphalfton

Fucking mobile gamers are screwing console gamers hard - as far as I'm concerned switch owners are equivalent to mobile users, since there's so many low effort games on switch that cash in on idiot buyers.

Last edited:

Woman7

Banned
Fucking mobile gamers are screwing console gamers hard - as far as I'm concerned switch owners are equivalent to mobile users, since there's so many low effort games on switch that cash in on idiot buyers.
Did you grow up in the ghetto? Why the hostility?

Derktron

Banned
So does that mean they'll continue to make those machines using their characters instead of using them in actual videogames or selling them off to actual devs who would know how to use them?

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Dude, Rise sales wont come close to World sales due to the exclusion of a PS4/5 version of the game. This is not even debatable. Deal with it.
I will save this comment and will come back to it.
Rise selling more or close to World could very well happen despite being on only one platform.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!

Nothing other than a World 2 coming after years of a MH drought to get its new fanbase thirsty for it and easily impressionable by the tech leap again and on multiple super successful systems with established install bases could have the potential for similar sales and that's part of the reason Rise is a thing, a game to develop quicker, for less and make a good chunk of money, because a World 2 and its circumstances don't just happen, especially at this point in a generation. Why do you think it has to sell the same when it clearly couldn't have cost anywhere near the same to develop and more importantly market if signs so far show us anything about how that's going to go? Why isn't it on every platform and called World Something if that's the goal as you seem to claim and is on Switch after years of no show if we even count the 3DS port, meaning the MH fanbase was clearly told to be elsewhere and not on the Switch for the time being? Why does Capcom not simply make Monster Hunter World games over and over and stop developing anything else at all if that level of success is suddenly all that matters and also can so easily just happen at will too? Just as before World the only way for Monster Hunter to be the monster success it was and keep Capcom going as its cash cow, was to be on the portables (first Sony's then Nintendo's) after failing to do that on home consoles like the PS2 and later Wii btw, the circumstances for World just weren't there, until they were and Capcom managed to exploit them. Why are we even talking about it here, people always try hard to push their bs as fact in random unrelated threads.

Last edited:

Eanox

It looks like the OP would like to have more games like this instead of Silent Hill, Metal gear, Castlevania, Suikoden, Azure Dreams and Zone of the Ender.

Kinda prove what I have said on Ghost of Tsushima thread.

Oh Dragon Quest XI PS4 didn’t underperformed.

Matsuda notes, “We have seen stronger sales of the PlayStation 4 version than the Nintendo 3DS version, but given the installed base, we have high hopes for growth in sales of the Nintendo 3DS version going forward

Bodomism

Banned

It looks like the OP would like to have more games like this instead of Silent Hill, Metal gear, Castlevania, Suikoden, Azure Dreams and Zone of the Ender.

Kinda prove what I have said on Ghost of Tsushima thread.

Oh Dragon Quest XI PS4 didn’t underperformed.

Matsuda notes, “We have seen stronger sales of the PlayStation 4 version than the Nintendo 3DS version, but given the installed base, we have high hopes for growth in sales of the Nintendo 3DS version going forward

I already stated they could've easily sold like 4-5 million units on 3DS alone if they had released it earlier instead of waiting at the end of 3DS lifecycle to release it simultaneously with PS4 version.

PS4 version didn't underperform in Japan but it was a disappointment in the rest of the world where SQE was expecting to expand the franchise further like other JRPG in the west like Octopath Travellers, Persona 5, Xenoblade 2, Fire Emblem 3 Houses, and etc where all of those managed to sell over 1.5 million units outside Japan.

Hopefully this info clears things up for people that go "why are they letting their IP just sit there, bad Konami why you no make game". Guys are making bank by not doing anything and why they will never sell their IPs.

Last edited:

kiphalfton

Did you grow up in the ghetto? Why the hostility?

Based on my experience with the on N64 and Gamecube (that being they were both stellar), I would have never expected Nintendo to become the company they have become today based on the trajectory they had at that time.

MagnesG

Banned
Based on my experience with the on N64 and Gamecube (that being they were both stellar), I would have never expected Nintendo to become the company they have become today based on the trajectory they had at that time.
You forgot the Wii and WiiU. Yeah totally wouldn't have expected it.

Royal-Slime

Banned
"Why on earth would they make a DQ Switch exclusive game?", someone asked? Well maybe because Dragon Quest has been exclusive to Nintendo platforms for the majority of the franchise's life? How do you expect someone to respect you in a discussion if you can't do a simple google search and see how many Square Enix games are exclusive to Nintendo? With the biggest being Dragon QUest.

I have been a huge fan of Konami IPs since the early 80ies.
And I frankly don't give a shit about them going mobile.

They haven't been the Konami I loved since the 90ies.

yurinka

It's just a basic business strategy.

You release games on 17 million of active userbases not on inactive userbases of consoles at their end of life cycle.
I think it was in the 'we believe in generations' interview where Jim Ryan said that they will continue supporting PS4 because it has around 100 million active users.

Senhua

Much expected, nowadays Japan rarely play anything outside of all age and multiplayer games.
It's hard to sold big single player cinematic "heavy" games here as the majority of the market much prefer lighter tone games.
There are reason way DQ is more popular than FF here.

yurinka

It's just a basic business strategy.

You release games on 17 million of active userbases not on inactive userbases of consoles at their end of life cycle.
I think it was in the 'we believe in generations' interview where Jim Ryan said in an interview a few months ago that PS4

Combining Monster Hunter World + Iceborne, they sold over 23 million copies (and counting), plus microtransactions, primarly on PS4. By far the best selling game ever not just for Monster Hunter, but also for Capcom.

For Capcom, Switch has an interesting userbase and MHW can't run there due to tech limitations, so makes sense to make a specific MH game for it. According to the Capcom leak, Nintendo paid Capcom $16-22M to keep it console exclusive. It will be released on PC 9 months after the Switch release. Looking at portable Monster Hunter games sales and difference in PS4+XBO vs Switch userbase, I think Rise won't sell like MHW at all but will be a great business for Capcom.

In terms of visuals looks poor for a PS4/PS5 game, I think it's better for them to keep it on Switch, to milk a bit more MHW on PS4 and for then for PS5 to wait for a proper 'MHW2'.

Woopah

I think it was in the 'we believe in generations' interview where Jim Ryan said in an interview a few months ago that PS4

Combining Monster Hunter World + Iceborne, they sold over 23 million copies (and counting), plus microtransactions, primarly on PS4. By far the best selling game ever not just for Monster Hunter, but also for Capcom.

For Capcom, Switch has an interesting userbase and MHW can't run there due to tech limitations, so makes sense to make a specific MH game for it. According to the Capcom leak, Nintendo paid Capcom $16-22M to keep it console exclusive. It will be released on PC 9 months after the Switch release. Looking at portable Monster Hunter games sales and difference in PS4+XBO vs Switch userbase, I think Rise won't sell like MHW at all but will be a great business for Capcom.

In terms of visuals looks poor for a PS4/PS5 game, I think it's better for them to keep it on Switch, to milk a bit more MHW on PS4 and for then for PS5 to wait for a proper 'MHW2'.
I don't think the payment was for console exclusivity. It was a payment for the announcent of the PC version to be delayed.

I can't see Rise hitting World numbers but 10 million is certainly doable.

Bodomism

Banned
I don't think the payment was for console exclusivity. It was a payment for the announcent of the PC version to be delayed.

I think Switch version alone could sell around 10 million units.

yurinka

The payment was for the exclusivity. They were negotiating different exclusivity options, including one where they wouldn't release the game on PC. The thing all the options had in common was console exclusivity for Switch.

But mixing that document with the other one with the Capcom titles line-up roadmap for the next 4-5 years, seems that the option they agreed is to release Rise on PC 9 months after the Switch release, and to announce the PC version 6 months after the Switch release.

But who knows, since all this stuff has been leaked and now many people knows it will be released on PC maybe it affects to the Capcom deal with Nintendo and they update it because it may hurt the sales of the Switch version since people may skip the Switch version to play the superior PC version. Another leaked document even listed the improvements of the PC version like increasing the FPS from 30 to 60, and so on, detailing to the point it mentioned optimized controls for keyboard and mouse and adapted UI.

I think Switch version alone could sell around 10 million units.
Adding the PC numbers I think they can achieve it, but in Switch alone I think it will be difficult. How many non-Nintendo games sold 10M+ units on Switch alone?

Last edited:
Top Bottom