• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Konami: Higher dev cost = more mergers

Andrew2

Banned
This is from Bloomberg btw

Konami Says Higher Game Development Costs May Spur More Mergers

September 13, 2005 23:57 EDT -- Konami Corp., Japan's fourth-largest maker of video games, says higher software development costs for new consoles made by Microsoft Corp. and Sony Corp. may spur mergers in the industry as companies seek to trim expenses.

Want to trim expenses? reduce the amount of the platforms support e.g. stick to the profitable.

Anyhow its amazing how these dev talk about high dev cost and etc, but in reality they're one the really contributing to it. In the end, the more these devs play on a multi-platform strategy in the long-run, the more money coming out of thier pockets.

ourumov

Last generation many of the small companies were absorved (Genki or Hudson)...Now it's the turn of the few that resisted or were too big. E.g. Banpresto, Taito, Success...

It's kinda sad all this...

Jonnyram

ourumov said:
Last generation many of the small companies were absorved (Genki or Hudson)...Now it's the turn of the few that resisted or were too big. E.g. Banpresto, Taito, Success...
This is a very strange combination of truth, lies and misinformation. Genki has not been absorbed. It has a capital alliance with Konami. Likewise, I don't think Hudson is actually owned by Konami. Banpresto has (afaik) always been a child company of Bandai. Taito is already being bought by Square Enix.

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon
ourumov said:

It's kinda sall all this...

Don't hit him for his bad english plase.

ourumov

Jonnyram said:
This is a very strange combination of truth, lies and misinformation. Genki has not been absorbed. It has a capital alliance with Konami. Likewise, I don't think Hudson is actually owned by Konami. Banpresto has (afaik) always been a child company of Bandai. Taito is already being bought by Square Enix.
You know what I meant...Last gen we saw a lot of moves...I think this gen this trend will continue. Anyways I didn't know Taito had already been owned by SE :p

Don't hit him for his bad english plase.
Jejeje...plase ? ;)

Ceb

They should bring back some old IPs and take it easy with the big output of smaller games. And give the top tier titles the budgets they deserve.

Andrew2

Banned
Technically speaking really, SE interest in Taito wasn't technically a merger, but more of a corporate takeover. In fact, this isn't even SE first corporate takeover as up last year they wholly aquired a company that specializies in mobile phone ringtones.

In the end, companies like SE do this crap just to prove so how much of a "big boy" they're trying to be. SEGA Sammy however was a merger forced through a hostile takeover considering that that Satomi wanted to use SEGA as vehicle to tap in easily to the amusement/arcade business.

Jonnyram

Andrew2 said:
Technically speaking really, SE interest in Taito wasn't technically a merger, but more of a corporate takeover. In fact, this isn't even SE first corporate takeover as up last year they wholly aquired a company that specializies in mobile phone ringtones.
I don't think anyone in this thread said it was a merger.

In the end, companies like SE do this crap just to prove so how much of a "big boy" they're trying to be. SEGA Sammy however was a merger forced through a hostile takeover considering that that Satomi wanted to use SEGA as vehicle to tap in easily to the amusement/arcade business.
As far as I can see, this is a legitimate move by Square Enix to expand their business in a direction they deem fit. News came out today that they're also looking to purchase blogging companies and online auction companies for online game communities. Imagine having official Square Enix blogger tools for blogging your FFXI progress... also official auctions would be better than third party auctions, since, let's face it, it's not going away.

cvxfreak

I constantly fear for Capcom's survival myself. I was personally hoping they'd hook up with Namco, but with Bandai, I'm not holding my breath. Unless...

Nightbringer

Don´t hit me for my bad english plase
The great anouncement of Sony for the TGS is that all the Konami sagas will be exclusive for Playstation3.

In Spain we say "Poderoso caballero es don Dinero" that is "Powerful Knight is mr. Money"

This is the same case, Sony and Konami has made a pact between the two and Konami will win a lot of money because you are going to be their marketing boys.

Are we ready for the SonyKonamiFans Stampede?

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
SolidSnakex said:
Konami + Capcom. Just don't make the logo look like some fast food place like NAMCO and Bandai.
i would rather see those two stay separate. T
They do wonders on their own already. however if those two did merge with or buy small and talented devs, then that would be good.

Im expecting EA to go and buy even more devs as they plan to getting closer to total domination.

nightez

Banned
Andrew2 said:
Anyhow its amazing how these dev talk about high dev cost and etc, but in reality they're one the really contributing to it. In the end, the more these devs play on a multi-platform strategy in the long-run, the more money coming out of thier pockets.
How can you blame multi-platform strategy on spiralling costs, when multi platform games actually reduce risk? Exclusive games cost more taking into account expected returns; GT4 and RE4 being prime examples of multi million dollar gfames.

ourumov

SolidSnakex said:
Konami + Capcom. Just don't make the logo look like some fast food place like NAMCO and Bandai.
Plus they could release a console...And then fuck PS3, X360 and Revolution :D :D :D

Andrew2 said:
This is from Bloomberg btw

Want to trim expenses? reduce the amount of the platforms support e.g. stick to the profitable.

That's just completely not true. It's not like when you go to two platforms, you're paying twice as much money to make the same game. A lot of stuff is shared across platforms and the addition to the cost of development is minimal compared to the gains that cross platform can get you. I just don't see how you can think that multiplatform is what's driving costs up. I'm not sure how difficult it will be for the PS3 and X360 for cross development, but once you have certain things in place on the PS2 and Xbox, you can pretty easily do development across both simultaneously rather than having to work on one and then another. Of course it also depends on the game, what engine you're using and so forth, but it's quite easily possible to work across multiplatforms with minimal additional effort.

jarrod

Banned
Jonnyram said:
Also, Success is already majority owned by Konami (around 70% iirc).

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Jonnyram said:

Also... Mergers are just a nice way of saying bought...

jarrod

Banned
Dragona Akehi said:
To be honest though, I think Nintendo would rather merge with Sony than get bought out by MS. :p
Well, resistance is futile and all that... but seeing the pimps unite against evil would be neat!

Andrew2

Banned
nightez said:
How can you blame multi-platform strategy on spiralling costs, when multi platform games actually reduce risk? Exclusive games cost more taking into account expected returns; GT4 and RE4 being prime examples of multi million dollar gfames.

Mulitplatform development is something developers have often been complaining about for the longest. Not just because its drives the quality of the product down, but the cost associated with it and it time consuming. Love to see an extreme case of such thing? Look at GUN! for the Xbox 2. While wer're at that, why not mention the very reason PC developers tend to look over Mac gamers.

Also to say to exclusive titles are more costly is untrue because what negates the cost of a game is the resources poured into it.

Beowvlf

Banned
Dragona Akehi said:
To be honest though, I think Nintendo would rather merge with Sony than get bought out by MS. :p
Nintendo already turned down two buyout offers from MS in 1999/2000, one for $20 billion and a second for $25 billion. Their reason? Nintendo has been, and will always be, a Japanese company.

It's all in here:
0761537082.01._PE_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Anyways, I completely agree with you here, if anything happens with Nintendo, it'll be a SCE-Nintendo merger.

KingJ2002

Capcom can survive... as long as they stick to a multiplatform model and pimp their franchises out as much as possible.

Mashing

nightez said:
Nintendo should just buy Capcom and get it over with.

If they are going to buy anyone it will be Bandai. Which would be a very good deal for them given their direction (moving into animation). They could secure A LOT of anime series if they bought Bandai.

genjiZERO said:
One-console future?

It should be a One Console Standard Future. Along the lines of Blu-Ray/DVD/etc consoritums.

And yes, Nintendo already owns a small part of Bandai, and I bet they'd kill to get in on all of those toy sales.

Banpresto is owned by Bandai.

Anyway, the problem is that too many eggs are being put in one basket. Sticking to what they think is profitable can be a double edged sword and can cost them dearly.

Also, remember the failed Sega and Bandai merger?

jarrod

Banned
TOMY would make a better buyout target for Nintendo I think. They're far cheaper than Bandai, there'd be less overlap and they recently merged with Takara... with TOMY under them, Nintendo could challenge Bandai directly in the toy world and just outbid them for important licenses.

jarrod said:
TOMY would make a better buyout target for Nintendo I think. They're far cheaper than Bandai, there'd be less overlap and they recently merged with Takara... with TOMY under them, Nintendo could challenge Bandai directly in the toy world and just outbid them for important licenses.

Nintendo's already owning part of Bandai. The toy licenses alone makes Yamauchi hungry.

Top Bottom