• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Konami has outsourced a Silent Hill project to "a prominent Japanese developer", reveal is this Summer

Perrott

Gold Member
The official Silent Hill account is only following 25 people, 3 of them being Xbox execs,no way this is being made by Japan Studio or is exclusive lol.

People followed by Silent Hill Official (@SilentHill) / Twitter
For nearly a year the Silent Hill soft-reboot has been reported to be in development at Japan Studio by vetted ResetEra insiders, a handful of videogame websites and Emre Kaya (@Vullein) who leaked the entire slate of games WB planned to unveil at their E3 2020 press conference but ended up revealing throughout the year.

And this report by VGC goes 100% in line with what has been previously reported about Sony's Silent Hill game. So pack it up boys, it is happening. KatharsisT redeemed.

killatopak

Gold Member
Koei Tecmo, Switch Exclusive

salt GIF
Book of Memories 2

MiguelItUp

It's hard to not assume Kojima considering the details and talks hinting at a horror game from them, and then these details. Could just be my bias though. Especially after Silent Hills and PT.

Honestly, I just want whatever happens to be good. That's all I care about.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Hold on there was Silent Hill Downpour on PS3 but i think that game flew under everyones radar (me included)
It was ok, better then the Crap we call horror these days, but it was no Silent Hill 1/2/3/4

driqe

For nearly a year the Silent Hill soft-reboot has been reported to be in development at Japan Studio by vetted ResetEra insiders, a handful of videogame websites and Emre Kaya (@Vullein) who leaked the entire slate of games WB planned to unveil at their E3 2020 press conference but ended up revealing throughout the year.

And this report by VGC goes 100% in line with what has been previously reported about Sony's Silent Hill game. So pack it up boys, it is happening. KatharsisT redeemed.
nah

Perrott

Gold Member
They would never directly give it to Kojipro. And thank god for that.

I'm rooting for Capcom
Why would Capcom waste time and resources on somebody else's IP when they have Resident Evil, aka the crown jewel of survival horror franchises which prints them 4-8M copies worth of money with every mainline release?

That's as if Treyarch (Activision) volunteers themselves to develop Titanfall 3 for EA.

And btw, if Capcom were developing the Silent Hill soft-reboot, the game would've definitely showed up in the leaks.

Last edited:

vpance

I really REALLY hope it's NOT KojimaPro. I don't like his vision for Silent Hill (First Person cheap jump-scare fest in a corridor) and i don't like his obsession of using the faces of popular hollywood actors.

Kojima wouldnā€™t make it all like that.

The guy is deep into the horror genre from both west and east and will have the full cooperation of Junji Ito. Thereā€™s no better option...

EDMIX

That was years ago.

My two cents...
Capcom would just turn it to Resident Evil.
Square canā€™t do horror.
From would turn it into an action game and it wouldnā€™t be scary enough.
SEGA, lol
Namco, lol
Koei Tecmo could possibly pull it off but it would still be worse than if Kojima did it like with PT.

Well...maybe. Relax with the "can't do". For all we know, if contracted they'd have many members of their company that wanted to make a horror for years or even ex-Silent Hill developers as they are all over Japan. Any of the companies you are talking about could do it as its not like Konami owns the exclusive rights to horror or something lol

If anything, I want you to remember that Guerilla Games did Killzone for years, yet did a open world 3rd person action RPG that moved record units. You don't know what those teams TRUELY want to make to really count them out so quickly simply based on past work.

So to say Square can't do horror, you could have said Naughty Dog can't do that when they did Jak and Uncharted, yet look at The Last Of Us.

You could have said that same shit about Visceral Games, they can't do horror I mean come on, all they do is Tiger Woods Golf ports and Sims DLC right?

So I relax with that because we don't fucking know what that team is discussing and if members of its staff might literally have worked on that genre. We've seen many many teams come out of the woodwork and make a genre they didn't make prior.

For all we know, Square buys that IP and does a better job with it then Konami. Who knows. I rule nothing out.

Orpheum

Why would Capcom waste time and resources on somebody else's IP when they have Resident Evil, aka the crown jewel of survival horror franchises which prints them 4-8M copies worth of money with every mainline release?

That's as if Treyarch (Activision) volunteers themselves to develop Titanfall 3 for EA.

And btw, if Capcom were developing the Silent Hill soft-reboot, the game would've definitely showed up in the leaks.
I'm saying i'm rooting for capcom because they have the necessary experience in horror game development and i like the direction they went with the Resident Evil series as a whole.

Would it make sense? From a business side i don't know. However in my opinion it would, as Resident Evil village is nearing its release and maybe they want to try their hands on the silent hill IP....

It could be anyone really. Rumors of Sony doing it have been around for a while.

Hell it could even be fucking From Software because miyazaki said they were developing a "weird" game. Who knows

Airbus Jr

Banned
Its not Kojima

Id say let this game have the Justice League Whedon vs Snyders treatment

One is Sillent Hill Kojimas version ( Since he already have the roadmap for this game from PT) and the other one from someone else

Will be interesting to see

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
Kojima wouldnā€™t make it all like that.

The guy is deep into the horror genre from both west and east and will have the full cooperation of Junji Ito. Thereā€™s no better option...
PT was like that.And at the end of it he showed the face of his beloved Norman Reedus.
And he's also going to bring with him that overrated leech Del Toro.

I love Silent Hill but i don't trust Kojima.He has way too much ego and his influences lie way more towards Hollywood than anything Japanese related for my liking. Yes we all know that the first Silent Hill games also took inspiration from Western movies and pop culture but it was the Japanese perspective of the developers that made all the difference. And i don't think Kojima has that perspective anymore.Both PT as well as Death Stranding looked like something that a Western developer would have made.

The only person that i'd trust for a Silent Hill game (other than the rest of the Team Silent members) is the series original SH creator Keichiro Toyama.

Last edited:
Dusk Golem redeemed (again)?

Anyway yeah, pretty much 90% sure it's a Sony team, probably Japan Studio. Given a couple of SH alumni left there a few months ago tho, the game must be nearing completion by now.

I'm genuinely interested to see more on it; Silent Hill 2 hit pretty hard back in the day and is a masterpiece of survival-horror to this day.

I'm saying i'm rooting for capcom because they have the necessary experience in horror game development and i like the direction they went with the Resident Evil series as a whole.

Would it make sense? From a business side i don't know. However in my opinion it would, as Resident Evil village is nearing its release and maybe they want to try their hands on the silent hill IP....

It could be anyone really. Rumors of Sony doing it have been around for a while.

Hell it could even be fucking From Software because miyazaki said they were developing a "weird" game. Who knows

The type of survival-horror Capcom is known for is VERY different from the type of survival-horror that put Silent Hill on the map, though. Just because Capcom has experience in the genre doesn't mean they're a best fit for every single property in the genre.

Resident Evil has always been the cheesier, campier brother to the more high-concept, artsy psychological horror of Silent Hill. Comparing them to the Alien films, Silent Hill would be the Alien to Resident Evil's Aliens. Or just to horror movies in general, Resident Evil would be the Deep Rising/Deep Blue Sea to Silent Hill's Jacob's Ladder.

So while Capcom have the tech and certainly have a great team for survival-horror I don't think they have a team for the specific type of survival-horror you need for a proper Silent Hill game (especially one to match up with the best entries in the IP i.e the first 3 games).

That was years ago.

My two cents...
Capcom would just turn it to Resident Evil.
Square canā€™t do horror.
From would turn it into an action game and it wouldnā€™t be scary enough.
SEGA, lol
Namco, lol
Koei Tecmo could possibly pull it off but it would still be worse than if Kojima did it like with PT.

TBF, SEGA did make Alien Isolation, which probably matches a bit better tonally with Silent Hill than Resident Evil (in terms of the psychological horror component). Outside of that though they haven't done a lot in survival-horror aside from older games like Deep Fear (which they should've turned into a longer-running IP tbh) and Blue Stinger, or HOTD Scarlet Dawn (which doesn't mesh well with a Silent Hill-type of vibe).

Really the only possible fit is Japan Studio; IIRC the guy who created Ico and SOTC even started working on the original Silent Hill and also at WARP (RIP Kenji Eno). There's an artistic element to those games and Last Guardian that could work REALLY well for a modern Silent Hill if married with more of the survival-horror style SH is known for.

Japan Studio are the best fit in all honesty but that also means it'll be a PS5 exclusive (and maybe a PC port in the cards).

Last edited:

vpance

PT was like that.And at the end of it he showed the face of his beloved Norman Reedus.
And he's also going to bring with him that overrated leech Del Toro.

I love Silent Hill but i don't trust Kojima.He has way too much ego and his influences lie way more towards Hollywood than anything Japanese related for my liking. Yes we all know that the first Silent Hill games also took inspiration from Western movies and pop culture but it was the Japanese perspective of the developers that made all the difference. And i don't think Kojima has that perspective anymore.Both PT as well as Death Stranding looked like something that a Western developer would have made.

The only person (other than the rest of the Team Silent members) is Keichiro Toyama.

PT was a 20 min demo lol. Canā€™t assume the whole game would be like that. The trailer he made after it looked great. Is he perfect no but the game would have amazing mood, graphics and production value.

Donā€™t really trust any of the old crew. Itā€™s ages since theyā€™ve done anything in the genre.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Well...maybe. Relax with the "can't do". For all we know, if contracted they'd have many members of their company that wanted to make a horror for years or even ex-Silent Hill developers as they are all over Japan. Any of the companies you are talking about could do it as its not like Konami owns the exclusive rights to horror or something lol

If anything, I want you to remember that Guerilla Games did Killzone for years, yet did a open world 3rd person action RPG that moved record units. You don't know what those teams TRUELY want to make to really count them out so quickly simply based on past work.

So to say Square can't do horror, you could have said Naughty Dog can't do that when they did Jak and Uncharted, yet look at The Last Of Us.

You could have said that same shit about Visceral Games, they can't do horror I mean come on, all they do is Tiger Woods Golf ports and Sims DLC right?

So I relax with that because we don't fucking know what that team is discussing and if members of its staff might literally have worked on that genre. We've seen many many teams come out of the woodwork and make a genre they didn't make prior.

For all we know, Square buys that IP and does a better job with it then Konami. Who knows. I rule nothing out.
It was just my two cents, no need to get worked up over it. I simply doubt that anyone but Konami or maybe Kojima can make a proper Silent Hill game, possibly Bloober too. The other devs can make awesome games that plays a ton better than any Silent Hill, but itā€™s a special type of horror, makes you genuinely uneasy just from the atmosphere and sound, if it was easy to pull off there would be more games like that.

EDMIX

It was just my two cents, no need to get worked up over it. I simply doubt that anyone but Konami or maybe Kojima can make a proper Silent Hill game, possibly Bloober too. The other devs can make awesome games that plays a ton better than any Silent Hill, but itā€™s a special type of horror, makes you genuinely uneasy just from the atmosphere and sound, if it was easy to pull off there would be more games like that.

Considering how much of that original staff is even gone from Konami, I would argue the very same concern you'd have should be the same with Konami.... Konami losing key talent alone should be reason to question them making a proper Silent Hill title.

The publisher being called "Konami" doesn't mean the actual PEOPLE left even care or worked on that past titles. The fact that they even continued to outsource the series shows they themselves don't even have faith in their in house teams....

Last edited:

Fredrik

Considering how much of that original staff is even gone from Konami, I would argue the very same concern you'd have should be the same with Konami.... Konami losing key talent alone should be reason to question them making a proper Silent Hill title.
Thatā€™s why Iā€™m thinking/hoping that Kojima is doing it, he showed what he can do in PT, is a friend of Guillermo del Toro, I want to see something happen there.

EDMIX

Thatā€™s why Iā€™m thinking/hoping that Kojima is doing it, he showed what he can do in PT, is a friend of Guillermo del Toro, I want to see something happen there.

With a strong team and financial push I think its the best bet. He thinks outside the box a lot and a lot of the original staff trust and still works with him. If that rumor is true that Sony is publishing, we could see lots of that old staff return that works at Sony Japan, so I see the ground work that can really make a masterpiece.

bitbydeath

You never played Siren?

Top Bottom