• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Konami Announces Record Profit as Momotaro Dentetsu for Switch Passes 2.5 Million Shipments

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Konami announced its financial results for the first nine months of the fiscal year 2021, related to the period ending Dec. 31, 2020.

As you can see in the tables below, Konami’s Digital Entertainment business (which includes games) performed very strongly with +33.1% higher revenue and +79.4% higher profit year-on-year.

The rest of Konami’s businesses underperformed due to the closures related to the COVID-19 pandemic. As a matter of fact, the Digital Entertainment business was the only one showing year-on-year growth.

Yet, the growth in the Digital Entertainment business still drove record high profits for the company for the first nine month of a fiscal year.

From the press release, we learn that Momotaro Dentetsu: Showa Heisei Reiwa mo Teiban! for Nintendo Switch hit and surpassed 2.5 million shipments as of January 2021.

Mobile games recorded record quarterly revenues once more, driven mostly by Professional Baseball Spirits A.

In the pipeline, we still hear that Konami is “working hard” to develop the two Edens Zero games announced for consoles and mobile.

Screenshot-2_4_2021-7_28_16-AM.jpg

GinSama

Is that the one with the trains?? Looks pretty fun, but I guess there’s no way for a English version isn’t??

Incredible how they have so many ip with history on the side and yet they are not making any (at least when is not with pachinko machines) with them.

noshten

Is that the one with the trains?? Looks pretty fun, but I guess there’s no way for a English version isn’t??

Incredible how they have so many ip with history on the side and yet they are not making any (at least when is not with pachinko machines) with them.

No English version, as the game is very specific to Japanese geography and culture, so very difficult to translate to other countries.

In any case great result for Momotaro the first game in over 30 years to dominate the Top of the Charts for more than 11 weeks; Bowser's Fury will finally knock off the Top Position. But it's heading for 3 million sales by the end of the quarter with digital and likely the first game since Yo-Kai Watch & Monster Hunter to surpass 3 million with a single SKU.

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
Time to cancel all development for other consoles. Nintendo owners are the only ones buying Konami stuff.

Hudo

Konami deserved that with their strategy of releasing new games on the most popular hardware in Japan instead of doing something like Bandai Namco with their shovelware strategy.
Meanwhile at the Atlus offices:

Satoshi Ōyama (Director, Shin Megami Tensei)
Katsura Hashino (Director, formerly Persona, new Project Re:Fantasy)
Shinjiro Takada (Director, Devil Survivor; Producer for Tokyo Mirage Sessions)

Lunch time, somewhere at the new Sega building (Atlus have moved offices)

Takada: "Hey, have you seen the sales charts recently? Stuff apparently sells on Switch quite well! That's gotta be good news for you, Ōyama-san!"
Ōyama: "Yeah. I am happy that we changed engines to UE4. We even ported the Nocturne remaster to Unity because it's so easy to port it to platforms!"
Takeda: "Yeah, remember when we had to recompile everything because we placed a tree or stuff like that somewhere?"
Ōyama: "Yeah... We actually used that as an excuse to go to dinner or lunch, haha."
Takeda: "Persona 4 on PC, it really surprised me how well it sold! Isn't that great, Hashino-san?"
Hashino, silently to himself: "Weird. Why would anyone release a game on more than one platform?"
Takeda: "Hashino-san?"
Hashino: "Oh, uh, yeah! Persona 4 is great."
Toshihiro Nagoshi (Director, Yakuza) walks by.
Nagoshi: "Oi, what's up?"
Takada, Ōyama and Hashino in unison, slightly bowing: "Hello, Nagoshi-san!"
Nagoshi, seeing the sales chart on the table.
Nagoshi: "Eh? What's that, huh?"
Takada: "It-It's a chart summarizing the sales of the past couple of weeks."
Nagoshi: "Ah, yeah. RPG's sell quite good these days, yeah? I mean Dragon Quest sells gangbusters all the time. And to shut the board of directors up, I made Yakuza an RPG, too! You guys could learn something."
There's an awkward silence for a while.
Ōyama: "It's a really fun game, Nagoshi-san!"
Takeda: "Y-Yeah!"
Nagoshi: "Damn straight."
Nagoshi eyeing the quite Hashino, waiting for confirmation from him as well.
Takeda gives a slight jab to Hashino
Hashino: "Yeah, it is really fun."
Nagoshi: "Damn straight. But man, those people from high up don't stop bothering me with Xbox and PC ports. Really gets on my nerves, you know? Fuck that shit."
Hashino: "...What do you mean? What is an Xbox?"
Nagoshi: "Xbox? Some high-level American coping. The people overseas can't accept that Sony kicked their asses."
Takeda: "Wasn't it Nintendo-"
Takeda is cut off mid-sentence; Nagoshi starts walking away
Nagoshi: "Leave me alone with that Bing-Bing-Wahoo shit."
Ōyama: "...Anyway, let's get back to work. Management said that we release SMT5 this year..."
Takeda: "How is it going, by the way?"
Ōyama laughs, while walking away.
Takeda: "I'm going back as well, Hashino-san. Are you coming?"
Hashino, silently to himself: "Weird. Why would anyone release a game on more than one platform?"
Takeda stands there for a while, not sure if it is polite to just leave Hashino by himself. But seeing that Nagoshi is on his way back to the table, he bows and leaves.

And so another day at Sega passes.

salamanderjuice

Neo Member
No English version, as the game is very specific to Japanese geography and culture, so very difficult to translate to other countries.

In any case great result for Momotaro the first game in over 30 years to dominate the Top of the Charts for more than 11 weeks; Bowser's Fury will finally knock off the Top Position. But it's heading for 3 million sales by the end of the quarter with digital and likely the first game since Yo-Kai Watch & Monster Hunter to surpass 3 million with a single SKU.
Isn't billion yen road basically the same thing? That got an English localization. That said I doubt this would sell 100k in the West even if they did it justice.

Top Bottom