• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KojiPro producer tags Elle Fanning game with Death Stranding, then deletes tweet

Had too google ”cankle” and was surprised there was an expression to describe such a super-specific thing

Bruce Willis Party GIF by IFC

It takes a special kind of stupid to compare Kojima to CoD.
I wasn’t comparing him to call of duty…I’m saying releasing revisions of trash is like what call of duty does. All of his games have been better than any call of duty, my point is that he tried something new, it wasn’t good, so he should move on to something else.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
The game must be collar too done. Original released 3 years ago and kojima team is very efficient.
Ports and dc could be done in the meantime by few folks

Elios83

I really liked Death Stranding so I'm really looking forward to the sequel.
I guess it's reasonable to expect a gameplay that is a more balanced mix of walking exploration, vehicle based exploration and way more action and boss battles.
They need to reach more people and achieve sales growth.
The actual mystery is what they're going to do with the plot because the original had a proper ending.
Given that Kojima is basically already executing on a roadmap of teases it might be reasonable to expect a formal announcement at TGA.

Last edited:
So Elle is a grown up Louise then.

Perfect choice.

Yeah it gonna be intersting to see what type of powers she has, i have a feelings shes gonna be able to travel to different beaches on her own. BB’s are connected to both worlds

Maybe she’ll be doing what heartman is essentially doing without the need to actually die first. You just travel to different beaches freeing people, and in the end you will have to fight Amelie/Bridgett.

Last edited:

Shubh_C63

I like games where I can shut my brain completely off. So looking forward to this, initially didn't liked DS1 either.

He better figure out his story telling though. It sucked.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I like games where I can shut my brain completely off. So looking forward to this, initially didn't liked DS1 either.

He better figure out his story telling though. It sucked.

The pacing was the real killer, the story was what kept me going.

Azurro

Banned
Last time around Sam connected the most hilariously small and unpopulated United States. The whole game was an incredibly bad idea, only the cinematics were great, but the game was so damn boring, slow and pointless that I am depressed this is their new effort. :/

Last edited:
Last time around Sam connected the most hilariously small and unpopulated United States. The whole game was an incredibly bad idea, only the cinematics were great, but the game was so damn boring, slow and pointless that I am depressed this is their new effort. :/

https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/12/02/death-stranding-2-kojima-says-he-would-start-from-zero

Hideo Kojima says he would consider making a sequel to Death Stranding but it probably wouldn’t continue on from the first game.

In an interview with Vulture, Hideo Kojima discussed the possibility of working with Norman Reedus again, and that if he did it could be a sequel to Death Stranding. That said, if he were to start such a project, Kojima says he “would start from zero.”

i don't think Kojima is truly entertaining the idea of just making another game exactly like the first. I wouldn't even be surprised if its not called Death Stranding.

Azurro

Banned
https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/12/02/death-stranding-2-kojima-says-he-would-start-from-zero

i don't think Kojima is truly entertaining the idea of just making another game exactly like the first. I wouldn't even be surprised if its not called Death Stranding.

Meh, I doubt it is going to be a completely different game. The insane man took the WORST aspect of open world games, the traversal, and made it the focus of his new franchise. Now the franchise that apparently wrapped up all the plot threads (I youtubed the ending, I was not crazy enough to keep "stranding") is supposed to restart with completely new characters, new gameplay, a new world and a new story? Might as well call it something else and step away from the attachment to the insomnia cure that was Death Stranding.

Meh, I doubt it is going to be a completely different game. The insane man took the WORST aspect of open world games, the traversal, and made it the focus of his new franchise. Now the franchise that apparently wrapped up all the plot threads (I youtubed the ending, I was not crazy enough to keep "stranding") is supposed to restart with completely new characters, new gameplay, a new world and a new story? Might as well call it something else and step away from the attachment to the insomnia cure that was Death Stranding.

he could significantly change up the gameplay loop and premise like he did for MGS3 or V

Azurro

Banned
he could significantly change up the gameplay loop and premise like he did for MGS3 or V

MGS1, 3 and 5 are all stealth games, with gameplay improvements. DS is a "strand game", if in DS2 you still "strand", then it will still be shit. In MGSV the shittiest part of the game was also the "stranding" and yet, he was deluded enough to make a new game focusing on it. wtf.

I really hope you are right though, but I doubt it.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

MGS1, 3 and 5 are all stealth games, with gameplay improvements. DS is a "strand game", if in DS2 you still "strand", then it will still be shit. How he was deluded enough to make TRAVERSING the defining feature of his new franchise, I will never know.
1. Because its fun and 2. it makes the storytelling stronger.

Keeping the player's feelings in alignment with the character.

Core mechanics help you feel what they want you to feel, when.

And again, because its fun.

MGS1, 3 and 5 are all stealth games, with gameplay improvements. DS is a "strand game", if in DS2 you still "strand", then it will still be shit. In MGSV the shittiest part of the game was also the "stranding" and yet, he was deluded enough to make a new game focusing on it. wtf.

I really hope you are right though, but I doubt it.
I mean i found the open world travel more enjoyable than the fighting but i know most people want more combat/stealth so i wouldnt be surprised if the latter takes priority.

I think it may end up being more like the Cliff zones

Azurro

Banned
1. Because its fun and 2. it makes the storytelling stronger.

Keeping the player's feelings in alignment with the character.

Core mechanics help you feel what they want you to feel, when.

And again, because its fun.

Walking endlessly in an empty world isn't fun. The cinematics weren't frequent enough to make up for the soporific gameplay, and I'm a huge Kojima fanboy, MGS2 is one of the best games of all time.

Again, I hope I'm wrong, and the new game has ... you know, things to do in it, and exciting moments, but I doubt it.

Last edited:

Arachnid

Who wants another hiking simulator, make another game Kojima!
I wouldn't mind, but enough of that strand vs stick nonsense. You can build an entire game on traveling from point A to b, but improve on the stealth and combat so they aren't just afterthoughts. Make the land more treacherous to traverse due to enemies instead of just relying on bridging gaps with ladders or whatever.

Walking endlessly in an empty world isn't fun. The cinematics weren't frequent enough to make up for the soporific gameplay, and I'm a huge Kojima fanboy, MGS2 is one of the best games of all time.

Again, I hope I'm wrong, and the new game has ... you know, things to do in it, and exciting moments, but I doubt it.
I don’t know, I think I had more exciting moments in Death Stranding then in all the Ubi Soft games from the last 5 years combined…

I don’t know, I think I had more exciting moments in Death Stranding then in all the Ubi Soft games from the last 5 years combined…

The thing that gets me is people praise elden ring for “doing new things with open world games” and constantly bring up how much. They hate ubisoft but kojima literally did something fairly unique and interesting with his open world and for a lot of people it was far too off putting.

For me, game-ifying the actual traversal is what i found interesting. It made trips cross mountains and rough terrain actually feel strategic and rewarding. Being able to just get tripped up and bust my ass and having to be aware of where i was walking made it that much more fun. I remember one time being in the mountains just being drained and having to just take shelter and rest for like 5 minutes to regain some energy but also had to make sure i stayed warm. That felt like a real journey for me

I kind of wish a lot of these open world games though more about how you maneuver through them more instead of like xenoblade where its just arduous run cycle from point A to Point B.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

Again, for anyone in doubt, Kojima has been working on Death Stranding 2 since early 2020. It releasing in 2023 would give it the same amount of development time as the original, its a 2024 title at the latest.

That was when they began the Director's Cut. They've said that game began development after DS had shipped as the PS5 was coming out. And Reedus said publicly he was gonna talk to Kojima about doing more DS stuff (the Director's Cut) back in March 2020.

watch this Q&A if you didn't know

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
The thing that gets me is people praise elden ring for “doing new things with open world games” and constantly bring up how much. They hate ubisoft but kojima literally did something fairly unique and interesting with his open world and for a lot of people it was far too off putting.

For me, game-ifying the actual traversal is what i found interesting. It made trips cross mountains and rough terrain actually feel strategic and rewarding. Being able to just get tripped up and bust my ass and having to be aware of where i was walking made it that much more fun. I remember one time being in the mountains just being drained and having to just take shelter and rest for like 5 minutes to regain some energy but also had to make sure i stayed warm. That felt like a real journey for me
I partially feel like that crazy genius Kojima went “ah yeah, walking simulators you say you dumbs5its?!? Fine, I will simulate walking… let’s see how good you are when you have to do it!”.
200.gif

It is a really fresh and good game experience, he nailed traversal (live hiking, going for long nature walks, so Death Stranding had some super strong hooks for me), pure Kojima :)!!!!

Last edited:

Corndog

Banned
That was when they began the Director's Cut. They've said that game began development after DS had shipped as the PS5 was coming out. And Reedus said publicly he was gonna talk to Kojima about doing more DS stuff (the Director's Cut) back in March 2020.

watch this Q&A if you didn't know

That would not stop them from doing preproduction on DS2.

Azurro

Banned
For you.

For me, and others, it was quite fun.

That's an incredibly small niche though, the audience of people that like to aimlessly walk with nothing exciting happening. It was a mistake to make a big budget game with such a small audience in mind. For most people, the traversing in the open world is probably the most tedious part, which is why devs implement multiple solutions: fast travel, mounts, etc.

I just hope the next game has things to do in it aside from watching the cutscenes.

I kind of wish a lot of these open world games though more about how you maneuver through them more instead of like xenoblade where its just arduous run cycle from point A to Point B.

Elden Ring was incredibly rewarding to explore, that's what people liked about it. There were huge new areas to find, challenging new enemies, new weapons, NPCs. There was literally nothing in Death Stranding, just aimless walking while carrying packages and once you arrive to your destination, CONGRATS! There's nothing to do there. What kind of crazy bastard looks at a UPS van and goes "aha! That's the perfect protagonist for my next big budget production, a UPS simulator between empty assets! Genius!"

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Again, for anyone in doubt, Kojima has been working on Death Stranding 2 since early 2020. It releasing in 2023 would give it the same amount of development time as the original, its a 2024 title at the latest.

DS2 was in negotiations last year.
And early development started this year.

The game referred to in your quote is the unannounced horror title Overdose.

Last edited:

John Bilbo

I want to play the first game again with the added content.

Edit: Maybe with the hardest difficulty this time

Last edited:

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
To compliment the Japanese tweet above ⬆️, SIE being Sony Interaction Entertainment, reveal should be any day now, can't fucking wait 👌

Top Bottom