• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kojima started to follow Phil Spencer on Twitter

jhjfss

🤣🤣
Angry Kung Fu Panda GIF

But Abandoned doe...

The only change Sony made recently is that they decided to port a few (not all their games) old previous gen (not day one, no PS5 exclusive) games to PC to compensate that on average games are purchased at a lower price than many years ago, but the budgets of AAA games keep increaing a lot every generation, so they need some extra revenue source to compensate that. And to get some extra bucks porting old games to PC proved to be a good idea for them after testing it with Horizon and Days Gone.

If you don't think any PS5 1P games are coming to PC this gen (whether that's Day-and-Date or with a year/2-year stagger period), then I want what you're drinking. Herman and Jim have been gradually easing some of the diehard holdouts into accepting that reality, but that reality seems to be coming. Matter of when, not if.

Not all of those games will come to PC but even as you just said, costs are going up and threshold of software sales to consoles sold probably won't increase very much given what the ceiling for hardware sales in a gen seems to be. They gotta recoup those costs through other means, that's what Nixxes is there to help with.

A logical conclusion for them is that, if older games are doing pretty good getting revenue on PC, then games that are more recent (especially MP-focused ones) will generate even more revenue. I'm personally expecting almost all the MP-centric 1P and 2P games to come to PC Day-and-Date, or just a few months behind. And most 1P games coming between 1 - 3 years after coming out on PS5, depending on certain specifics of the game.

Last edited:

yurinka

If you don't think any PS5 1P games are coming to PC this gen (whether that's Day-and-Date or with a year/2-year stagger period), then I want what you're drinking. Herman and Jim have been gradually easing some of the diehard holdouts into accepting that reality, but that reality seems to be coming. Matter of when, not if.
They said they will release more old PS4 games on PC, and it's what they are doing. Obviously, if it works and they sell well, they will expand.

After some years in the future they will run out of key PS4 games to port to PC that make sense to port them there, and once the installbase of PCs capable to run big ass AAA PS5 only games becomes the norm and not like now a tiny exception of the PC market, they will start porting old PS5 games. But that may happen at the end of this generation or in the next one.

Since for competitive AAA multiplayer, GaaS or F2P games it's very important to have a huge userbase, if they start releasing these type of games they will tank if PS5 and will see the need of releasing them faster on PC and eventually day one. So they will be their first AAA games to be released day one on both PS5 (or PS6) and PC and will be F2P, even if the first ones may be paid games or will be PS5 only.

And then after that, once players get also used to see PS games on PC, PS gets a huge market share bigger than now in the consoles market and their services like PS Now get a good install base on PC and mobile, they will start releasing all their AAA 1st party games day one on PS and PC. But since all these processes will take time, I expect that to happen in PS6.

Not all of those games will come to PC but even as you just said, costs are going up and threshold of software sales to consoles sold probably won't increase very much given what the ceiling for hardware sales in a gen seems to be. They gotta recoup those costs through other means, that's what Nixxes is there to help with.
Over 1500 million games have been sold for PS4, it holds the record of the biggest amount of games sold for a console in gaming history. And PS4 will continue selling games during at least a couple of years more. Sony has over 100M MAU and only slightly above 10M of them are on PS5.

PS5 is selling faster than PS4 and according to Sony it has bigger user engagement than PS4. Which means player play more frequently, for longer periods of time, which ends meaning they spend more money on the console. Which means more games will be sold on PS5 than in PS4 and since market is evolving to GaaS, DLC and microtransactions, PS5 wll also generate more in DLC+MTX than PS4.

AAA gamedev costs are becoming too massive and risky. So in addition to rise the game prices and get GaaS focus in some of their AAA games to include DLC/MTX, they will also will need to make more frequent the PC ports and including their games on Plus/Now once completed -or almost- their main sales cycle to continue milking them specially with DLC/MTX.

At the same time, they also will have to consider to make more shorter AAA games like Rift Apart, Miles Morales or Sackboy, going back to length times that were more common in PS3 in games like all Uncharted games exclusing U4 instead of making their AAA games longer and longer.

A logical conclusion for them is that, if older games are doing pretty good getting revenue on PC, then games that are more recent (especially MP-focused ones) will generate even more revenue. I'm personally expecting almost all the MP-centric 1P and 2P games to come to PC Day-and-Date, or just a few months behind. And most 1P games coming between 1 - 3 years after coming out on PS5, depending on certain specifics of the game.
Yep, I think eventually will happen that. But before this, they will port the remaining old PS4 games they may see can fit in the current PC market. They want to port them before they start publishing PS5 games because first they would seen as too old and less cool because PC players would prefer newer stuff. And second because most current PCs don't have PS5 or higher specs so can't handle PS5 exclusives unless they get some major work, so they will need to wait until the majority of the PC userbase upgrades to way more powerful average PC.

AGRacing

He needed the extra few hundred available GB's on the Series X SSD for exposition dialog cutscenes in his next big game. 667 GB wasn't enough.

jigglet

Banned
Why are people so quick to assume it's about gaming. Maybe they're in a relationship. It would be the best possible way to virtue signal.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Sony also say 2nd party doesn't exist, and that Haven's game is the exact same as a 1sr party game like TLOU with no difference between them. Their games are both going to bare a PS STUDIOS logo afterall. Only.... Haven's game is only a timed exclusive, and will eventually move to other platforms, and Jade too may be in Kojima's position where Haven's 2nd game appears elsewhere, possibly exclusive.

I'm saying Sony are marketing stupidly, and are gonna cause confussion/loss of customer confidence for themselves later down the line. XDEV was the perfect branding for these "2nd party game deals"
"Haven's game is only a timed exclusive, and will eventually move to other platforms"

Haven game first IP is not a timed exclusive.

I dont think Sony will announce a partnership just for "timed exclusive", that makes no sense. Haven studios is basically Kojima studio. Sony owns the IP but not the studio.
Sony is clearly funded alot , at least for the first IP from Haven studio.

"Jade too may be in Kojima's position where Haven's 2nd game appears elsewhere, possibly exclusive."

True, Haven studio can still work with someone else after they released the first IP (Sony IP)

If you had notice, instead of going acquisitions, securing IP from third party studio is the alternative solution.
Dont forget Sony mentions Haven in their fiscal report, seems bigger than your usual "timed" exclusive game studios.

Last edited:

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
The obvious answer is Microsoft bought KojiPro, but Blue Box bought Kojima, and Sony bought Blue Box, so the big acquisition news (I heard it from Jeff Grubbs, and that gorgeous mother fucker is ALWAYS right) is that Sony bought Microsoft. Boxstation 5 Series Pro incoming, with God of Halo and The Last of Fable, Part III coming 2026 to PassNow+

kingfey

Banned
Even if Kojima made a game for Microsoft, whats the big deal?
brother. Kojima is like a GOD to PlayStation, just like how Tod is God Howard for Xbox now.

If he works for Xbox, Expect bigger bomb Than xbox buying bethesda. Entire twitter wont shut up about it.

And I would advice you to get in to bunker. This place would be wildfire.

Last edited:

Kerotan

I mean Kojima is a master troll. Could go either way. I presume the death stranding directors cut will be launched before any future game is revealed.

Hasan is the fake Kojima making MGS and Silent Hill for Sony and Konami now, real Kojima joins MS after disliking how Sony called the latest Death Stranding his director’s cut.

Marty-McFly

Banned
You guys realize business professionals don't give a shit about fanboys warring with each other over the internet over their plastic vidya boxes, right?
I don't know about that. I've heard interviews with an awful lot of people who have worked in the industry and sounded like fanboys.

Tribalism runs deep.

supernova8

Banned
I once saw Kojima eating a pack of Doritos............................... I guess that means Keighley is doing another cameo?

Get outta here with this shit.

nani17

are in a big trouble
Last year: Kojima sucks doesn't know how to make games anymore. Walking simulator lol he sucks and is massively overrated.

This year..... Kojima to make xbox game: Wow this guy is probably one of the best devs in the history of gaming..

Last edited:
You don't just start following the head of Xbox after years of not doing so, unless something has changed in your relationship. Is Phil following Kojima? The rumours have been voiced too many times for it not to be true, it's just a matter of when IMO.

BaneIsPain

Still remembered when all news and rumour about kojima and microsoft story before e3. Suddenly, kojima showed the death stranding director’s cut. So it means nothing 😉

Outrunner

You don't just start following the head of Xbox after years of not doing so, unless something has changed in your relationship. Is Phil following Kojima? The rumours have been voiced too many times for it not to be true, it's just a matter of when IMO.
The rumors have one single source...

mortal

Gold Member
brother. Kojima is like a GOD to PlayStation, just like how Tod is God Howard for Xbox now.
Most of Kojima's games are multiplatform. He's a multiplatform director, he's even made exclusives for Nintendo in the past.
This idea that he's a PlayStation mainstay is fake news.

Urban

Show OP the picture of the awards where a lot of Sony first party director’s where on a picture with Phil

Umbasaborne

Banned
This constitutes as news these days. For fuck sake with this industry. Sites these days are nothing but gossip mongers thirsty for clicks. Social media was a mistake

Last edited:
They said they will release more old PS4 games on PC, and it's what they are doing. Obviously, if it works and they sell well, they will expand.

And, logically speaking, where do you think that will expand to? Days Gone was a 2-year interval between PS4 and PC. Death Stranding (a 2nd-party exclusive, mind, but still) was a six-month interval IIRC. There won't be anymore PS4-exclusive 1P games from Sony going forward that aren't cross-gen titles, meaning at the very least those games are day-and-date between PS4 and PS5.

We can infer from those aforementioned timing intervals and the reality that they'll be ceasing PS4 cross-gen support near end of 2022 (hopefully, if Ragnarok releases that year), and take a guess with a good degree of accuracy that those ports will include at least some PS5 1P exclusives going to PC. It is just a question of when, not if.

I mean at one point people were saying no PS 1P titles would be ported to PC whatsoever, and yet look where we are today. It's better to accept the likelihood of PS5 1P games getting ported to PC being a reality of high probability, than to stand firm against the idea when the trends point to the opposite.

After some years in the future they will run out of key PS4 games to port to PC that make sense to port them there, and once the installbase of PCs capable to run big ass AAA PS5 only games becomes the norm and not like now a tiny exception of the PC market, they will start porting old PS5 games. But that may happen at the end of this generation or in the next one.

No, this reads a bit like wanting to fantasize and will it into reality, but you're ignoring the trending data, and you're ignoring select quotes from Herman Hulst to do so. They have not explicitly mentioned PS5 1P games getting ported, but the logical assumption is that if they can maximize revenue streams even higher by shortening the timing interval of ports "within reason", and they have already shown a timing interval as small as 2-years for another 1P game, then the chances are high that at least some of their 1P PS5 ports to PC will come within a maximum of 2 years from their PS5 release, some even shorter and, IMO, for highly MP-focused games (like the upcoming TLOU2 Factions), then they will be Day-and-Date.

Remember the "mistake" leak with Demon's Souls Remake's advert at the September 2020 presentation that mentioned PC and "other consoles" (i.e PS4)? I don't think that was a "mistake", not the way some people want to think it was. They simply mentioned that part too soon, and while I think the PS4 version will be quietly scrapped (if it hasn't already), I can absolutely see a PC version of that game coming in 2022. I'd be willing to take a ban bet over it, actually.

Since for competitive AAA multiplayer, GaaS or F2P games it's very important to have a huge userbase, if they start releasing these type of games they will tank if PS5 and will see the need of releasing them faster on PC and eventually day one. So they will be their first AAA games to be released day one on both PS5 (or PS6) and PC and will be F2P, even if the first ones may be paid games or will be PS5 only.

I think you are going to be a bit surprised when Factions is PS5 & PC Day-and-Date; like you said, MP-centric competitive AAA multiplayer games thrive off large dedicated playerbases, and for reasons related to skill parity being kept within the community on multiple platforms, you'll want to get that game on said platforms Day 1.

So I don't think we'll be waiting for long until we Day 1 PS5/PC installments of 1P MP-centric AAA competitive games (especially shooters) from Sony, we won't need to wait for PS6 for that to happen.

And then after that, once players get also used to see PS games on PC, PS gets a huge market share bigger than now in the consoles market and their services like PS Now get a good install base on PC and mobile, they will start releasing all their AAA 1st party games day one on PS and PC. But since all these processes will take time, I expect that to happen in PS6.

Yes, for ALL 1P games between PS and PC, Day-and-Date isn't going to happen for a long while and it will (if it happens) only begin with PS6. However, my argument is focused on the claim that some don't expect to see any 1P PS5 games on PC this gen or some of the more obvious picks (1P MP competitive AAA games) to be Day-and-Date or at least within 1-month/3-month intervals.

That is the point I am challenging in saying it's a false idea to hold onto when trends seem to show the opposite will happen.

Over 1500 million games have been sold for PS4, it holds the record of the biggest amount of games sold for a console in gaming history. And PS4 will continue selling games during at least a couple of years more. Sony has over 100M MAU and only slightly above 10M of them are on PS5.

What does any of this have to do with the main point of discussion? Yes, those are big numbers, but look at the percentage of what their 1P titles contribute to that. Roughly 18% of their software revenue comes from their 1P content, and that is cumulative. Also your PS5 MAU numbers are your own guess and not conclusive: # of systems sold != matching MAU. There's this thing called the scalping situation :/.

PS5 is selling faster than PS4 and according to Sony it has bigger user engagement than PS4. Which means player play more frequently, for longer periods of time, which ends meaning they spend more money on the console. Which means more games will be sold on PS5 than in PS4 and since market is evolving to GaaS, DLC and microtransactions, PS5 wll also generate more in DLC+MTX than PS4.

Okay but again, this isn't you tying anything into the main point of discussion. I feel the reason you're mentioning this is to try implying that with PS5 ecosystem revenue growth, that offsets the need or desire for them to expedite 1P PS5 port timing or frequency to PC...

....but there is no correlation here. The reason why is because all the milestones and figures you're referencing here pertain to a mixture of first-party and THIRD-PARTY revenue and sales, and in terms of that we know that Sony's own games (cumulatively) account for about 18% of that share. 3P games account for the remaining 82%, and of that Sony only gets a 30% cut. There's also the element of digital/physical sales weighing into this: while digital copies tend to hold their prices, physical copies can be any mixture of original MSRP, discounted price, second-hand sales etc. The lower the sale price of that 3P game, the smaller Sony's 30% cut from that copy is.

So you're describing figures that are very healthy for the PlayStation ecosystem, but aren't directly correlative to Sony's first-party within that ecosystem, which could have a myriad of factors internally driving them to do more 1P ports of more recent titles to PC.

AAA gamedev costs are becoming too massive and risky. So in addition to rise the game prices and get GaaS focus in some of their AAA games to include DLC/MTX, they will also will need to make more frequent the PC ports and including their games on Plus/Now once completed -or almost- their main sales cycle to continue milking them specially with DLC/MTX.

Yes, agreed that increasing gamedev costs will have a big influence leading to some of the things you mention here. But, now you are agreeing with my main argument in a roundabout way: I've always said that if any of the new 1P content has the highest chance for ports to PC, it's the MP-centric games, things such as TLOU2: Factions (potentially).

The chief disagreement in your side of that argument (at least as it appeared to me) was the notion those will be Day-and-Date on PS5/PC, or coming in rather short intervals staggered between PS5 and PC.

At the same time, they also will have to consider to make more shorter AAA games like Rift Apart, Miles Morales or Sackboy, going back to length times that were more common in PS3 in games like all Uncharted games exclusing U4 instead of making their AAA games longer and longer.

Why is that something they have to consider? Is this in relation to content for a "revamped" PS Now/PS+ service similar to some things David Jaffe has suggested? And, how does that tie into the main point we've been talking about here?

FWIW, if those type of games do become a thing (IMO I hope at least some of them do; I think some of Shawn Layden's comments from his recent interview sounded like somewhat cynical commentary on Sony's 1P games development trends and maybe a hint into what might've caused him to depart from his position at WWS), then they would be perfect for driving consistent content to a PS+/PS Now-style merged service from Sony. However, those games would still need to be available for digital purchase at the very least (physical purchase as well if possible).

I think Jaffe suggested they NOT be provided with those additional ownership avenues, but that might just be me misremembering.

Yep, I think eventually will happen that. But before this, they will port the remaining old PS4 games they may see can fit in the current PC market. They want to port them before they start publishing PS5 games because first they would seen as too old and less cool because PC players would prefer newer stuff. And second because most current PCs don't have PS5 or higher specs so can't handle PS5 exclusives unless they get some major work, so they will need to wait until the majority of the PC userbase upgrades to way more powerful average PC.

The problem with this is that for some of those PS4 games, there have already been superior ways to emulate them for a while, and it's possible due to the amount of time Sony's denied bringing them to PC, a lot of the people who'd of bought them previously have just emulated them on PC and played them that way instead. That complicates doing a straight port of them or a port that only increases resolution and framerate, and for those select games might require a Remake-style treatment to guarantee big sales.

One of the games that falls in that category is Bloodborne, and in fact for more niche games like Bloodborne what I just mentioned above mainly affects them. Even so, there aren't too many other 1P games from PS4 they can bring before they run out of suitable material. UC4 and the expansion are candidates, as is God of War.

But outside of those, a lot of their other PS4 1P is either largely irrelevant for a PC port due to possible dormancy with the IP (The Order 1886, Killzone:Shadowfall), possibly viewable as redundant and inferior to other competitive options on PC without some serious reworks that might tally too much to justify the effort (Driveclub, Killzone:Shadowfall, The Tomorrow Children, etc.), or fall into either one or two of the aforementioned issues while also maybe not easily fitting into a brand image representation for PC they want (Knack 1 and 2, for example).

One of the few exceptions to this IMO is Dreams; that is a game which seems perfectly suitable for a PC audience and could open the creative aspects of the game to a community which is used to doing tons of creative modding for games as it is. At the very least it should get a native port to PS5 in the near future and, while I think a PC port is inevitable, it most likely wouldn't be a Day-and-Date situation, nor is that really the kind of game which requires such TBH.

Once you get past that, though, the well for suitable PS4 1P games to bring to PC in a fashion that requires the least investments for maximizing revenues and profits kind of drops off sharply IMO, which is why I'm of the opinion that some or a good deal of their PS5 1P content will start to see at least shorter-staggered releases between PS5 and PC this gen starting relatively soon, and some games (namely the 1P MP-centric competitive titles with GaaS-style models) will be Day-and-Date between PS5 and PC, or short enough in interval to not cause any long-term imbalance in skill parity of the community for the game which can negatively impact it.

And as I've been saying, the trends more greatly support the idea of this happening versus them disproving it.

Why do we act like Kojima is Miyamoto or something? His games are okay to good, but it's not like he's some genius developer. Is it just his personality that gets attention?

who gives a fuck? I mean other than die-hard fanboys not wanting Kojima to cheat on them. His games have been on Xbox before.

Last edited:

yurinka

And, logically speaking, where do you think that will expand to?
To port more old PS4 games.

Days Gone was a 2-year interval between PS4 and PC. Death Stranding (a 2nd-party exclusive, mind, but still) was a six-month interval IIRC.
Death Stranding wasn't ported by Sony, they allowed Kojima to do it with another publisher. Back then Sony still wasn't interested on PC.

We can infer from those aforementioned timing intervals and the reality that they'll be ceasing PS4 cross-gen support near end of 2022 (hopefully, if Ragnarok releases that year), and take a guess with a good degree of accuracy that those ports will include at least some PS5 1P exclusives going to PC. It is just a question of when, not if.
Ragnarok was going to be released in 2021, so very likely will be released early 2022. Sony said they were going to support PS4 for at least 3 years after PS5 launch, so I'd expect to see some crossgen exclusives and multis during 2023. Sony published PS4 to PC ports are 2-9 years old games, so they could be releasing PS4 ports during the entire generation without needing to port any PS5 non crossgen game to PC with maybe some F2P as exception.

I mean at one point people were saying no PS 1P titles would be ported to PC whatsoever, and yet look where we are today. It's better to accept the likelihood of PS5 1P games getting ported to PC being a reality of high probability, than to stand firm against the idea when the trends point to the opposite.
I assume once they run out of interesting old PS4 games to port to PC, they will start to port old PS5 games. But I expect it to happen in the next generation or at the end of the current one.

No, this reads a bit like wanting to fantasize and will it into reality, but you're ignoring the trending data, and you're ignoring select quotes from Herman Hulst to do so. They have not explicitly mentioned PS5 1P games getting ported, but the logical assumption is that if they can maximize revenue streams even higher by shortening the timing interval of ports "within reason", and they have already shown a timing interval as small as 2-years for another 1P game, then the chances are high that at least some of their 1P PS5 ports to PC will come within a maximum of 2 years from their PS5 release, some even shorter and, IMO, for highly MP-focused games (like the upcoming TLOU2 Factions), then they will be Day-and-Date.
You're the one fantasizing. Hermen specifically said they don't plan to release PS5 games day one on PC, that PS will continue being the place to play them at launch. And when talking about porting to PC they always said PS4 games and never said PS5 games. Days Gone was released on PC 2 years and 1 month after the original release, but the next one they plan to release is Uncharted 4, released 5 years and a half ago and we still don't have release date for the PC port.

Remember the "mistake" leak with Demon's Souls Remake's advert at the September 2020 presentation that mentioned PC and "other consoles" (i.e PS4)? I don't think that was a "mistake", not the way some people want to think it was. They simply mentioned that part too soon, and while I think the PS4 version will be quietly scrapped (if it hasn't already), I can absolutely see a PC version of that game coming in 2022. I'd be willing to take a ban bet over it, actually.
Yes, it was a mistake and happened with other games where they did put a wrong release date or platform at the end of the video. There are no PS4 or PC versions.

I think you are going to be a bit surprised when Factions is PS5 & PC Day-and-Date; like you said, MP-centric competitive AAA multiplayer games thrive off large dedicated playerbases, and for reasons related to skill parity being kept within the community on multiple platforms, you'll want to get that game on said platforms Day 1.
I think that for several reasons it will keep this one as a PS4+PS5 game, at least for a while and if it isn't F2P.

So I don't think we'll be waiting for long until we Day 1 PS5/PC installments of 1P MP-centric AAA competitive games (especially shooters) from Sony, we won't need to wait for PS6 for that to happen.
Looking at what they said and did until now, I don't expect it to happen during many years. At the end of the generation or in the next one, but we may see one before that if it's a F2P MP focused game.

What does any of this have to do with the main point of discussion? Yes, those are big numbers, but look at the percentage of what their 1P titles contribute to that. Roughly 18% of their software revenue comes from their 1P content, and that is cumulative. Also your PS5 MAU numbers are your own guess and not conclusive: # of systems sold != matching MAU. There's this thing called the scalping situation :/.
MAU < PS4 + PS5 units sold
It's normal, because some PS4 players are no longer playing in the console every month and didn't move to PS5.
Scalpers bought way less than 1% of the PS5 units sold, and their consoles sooner or later will end in the hands of players. Scalpers don't buy consoles to eat them.

Okay but again, this isn't you tying anything into the main point of discussion. I feel the reason you're mentioning this is to try implying that with PS5 ecosystem revenue growth, that offsets the need or desire for them to expedite 1P PS5 port timing or frequency to PC...
The main revenue source of a non GaaS 1P game are the sales during its first years, and they prefer to sell them on PS5 because they get 100% of the money instead of paying Valve or Epic their revenue share. Once they milked properly and doesn't generate a decent amount of revenue, then it's time to port it to PC, to include it on PS Plur or PS Now, etc. to generate extra revenue.

Let's say one of these big 1P games (let's say GoW) sells 8 or 10 million in the first year or two. Multiply this by $60 or $70. It's a lot of money, and they don't want to lose the part of PC platform holder revenue share.

....but there is no correlation here. The reason why is because all the milestones and figures you're referencing here pertain to a mixture of first-party and THIRD-PARTY revenue and sales, and in terms of that we know that Sony's own games (cumulatively) account for about 18% of that share. 3P games account for the remaining 82%, and of that Sony only gets a 30% cut. There's also the element of digital/physical sales weighing into this: while digital copies tend to hold their prices, physical copies can be any mixture of original MSRP, discounted price, second-hand sales etc. The lower the sale price of that 3P game, the smaller Sony's 30% cut from that copy is.

So you're describing figures that are very healthy for the PlayStation ecosystem, but aren't directly correlative to Sony's first-party within that ecosystem, which could have a myriad of factors internally driving them to do more 1P ports of more recent titles to PC.
3rd party game sales are the main revenue source for PlayStation, so they mostly use this money to fund their 1st party games.
There is a single reason for needing to port to PC: budgets skyrocket every generation and game prices and sales don't grow proportionally, so they reached a point that if a big AAA isn't a big success they are fucked. So they need extra revenue sources like making some of these games GaaS and multi, to port some to PC, try to appeal more the Asian market, expand PS Now to mobile to get some extra money from there too, etc.

Yes, agreed that increasing gamedev costs will have a big influence leading to some of the things you mention here. But, now you are agreeing with my main argument in a roundabout way: I've always said that if any of the new 1P content has the highest chance for ports to PC, it's the MP-centric games, things such as TLOU2: Factions (potentially).
Yes, I agree MP, and specially, F2P has more chances to be released on PC faster and eventually (I think that at the end of the generation or in PS6) maybe even day one. Other than that, for single player games I think they will continue porting some of their old games, those who already did their main portion of their sales cycle on console and that they think have potential to sell well on PC (I think they won't port all their games).

Why is that something they have to consider? Is this in relation to content for a "revamped" PS Now/PS+ service similar to some things David Jaffe has suggested? And, how does that tie into the main point we've been talking about here?
Not related to PS Now. Big AAA games get more expensive every generation while average sales price decreases and sales don't increase porportionally, they are reaching a point where they are becoming too risky. So they need extra revenue sources like rising game prices, DLC/MTX, GaaS approach or ports.

Something they could avoid if they stop making their games bigger and bigger. For at least many of them, avoid these games being 40, 60, 100 hours long and go back to the 8-15h long games as the Uncharted games are outside U4.

FWIW, if those type of games do become a thing (IMO I hope at least some of them do; I think some of Shawn Layden's comments from his recent interview sounded like somewhat cynical commentary on Sony's 1P games development trends and maybe a hint into what might've caused him to depart from his position at WWS), then they would be perfect for driving consistent content to a PS+/PS Now-style merged service from Sony. However, those games would still need to be available for digital purchase at the very least (physical purchase as well if possible).
My idea, and Shawn's idea of stop making AAA games longer and longer and go back to the size they had in PS3 is to reduce their costs to avoid making them too risky projects. Because big AAA games now have development budget of $150-200M, and add to this almost the same of marketing budget. If a few of these games flop hard (something that happens from time to time) it puts the company in trouble.

These not that big/expensive AAA games (like Ratchet) wouldn't be to give them away on subscriptions day one, it would be to sell them as Sony does. They only would go to Plus/Now/PC once they already sold all the units they could on console after a few years. To put AAA games day one on a subscription service is a suicide.

What Jaffe asked for was another thing: he suggested to have a small team in these huge studios that could make tiny games with $20-30M maybe even including marketing probably reusing assets of other games or making something experimental or maybe using a beloved old niche Sony IP. Since today big AAA games take like 5 years of development, the studio would have this tiny team that could release a couple of these tiny games between the realeases of the huge AAA games, Sony wouldn't care if these games tank and could even put them day one on Plus or Now. It would give value to their subscriptions, quality and fresh content to build brand, and would keep the devs happier.

The problem with this is that for some of those PS4 games, there have already been superior ways to emulate them for a while, and it's possible due to the amount of time Sony's denied bringing them to PC, a lot of the people who'd of bought them previously have just emulated them on PC and played them that way instead. That complicates doing a straight port of them or a port that only increases resolution and framerate, and for those select games might require a Remake-style treatment to guarantee big sales.

One of the games that falls in that category is Bloodborne, and in fact for more niche games like Bloodborne what I just mentioned above mainly affects them. Even so, there aren't too many other 1P games from PS4 they can bring before they run out of suitable material. UC4 and the expansion are candidates, as is God of War.
But outside of those, a lot of their other PS4 1P is either largely irrelevant for a PC port due to possible dormancy with the IP (The Order 1886, Killzone:Shadowfall), possibly viewable as redundant and inferior to other competitive options on PC without some serious reworks that might tally too much to justify the effort (Driveclub, Killzone:Shadowfall, The Tomorrow Children, etc.), or fall into either one or two of the aforementioned issues while also maybe not easily fitting into a brand image representation for PC they want (Knack 1 and 2, for example).

One of the few exceptions to this IMO is Dreams; that is a game which seems perfectly suitable for a PC audience and could open the creative aspects of the game to a community which is used to doing tons of creative modding for games as it is. At the very least it should get a native port to PS5 in the near future and, while I think a PC port is inevitable, it most likely wouldn't be a Day-and-Date situation, nor is that really the kind of game which requires such TBH.

Once you get past that, though, the well for suitable PS4 1P games to bring to PC in a fashion that requires the least investments for maximizing revenues and profits kind of drops off sharply IMO, which is why I'm of the opinion that some or a good deal of their PS5 1P content will start to see at least shorter-staggered releases between PS5 and PC this gen starting relatively soon, and some games (namely the 1P MP-centric competitive titles with GaaS-style models) will be Day-and-Date between PS5 and PC, or short enough in interval to not cause any long-term imbalance in skill parity of the community for the game which can negatively impact it.

And as I've been saying, the trends more greatly support the idea of this happening versus them disproving it.
The most played PS Now game on PC is Bloodborne, I think after Uncharted 4 they'll port this one, in addition to TLOUR+TLOU2 in order to have them on time for the tv series. Dreams needs PC, I think it also has a great fit. And well, GoW, Uncharted Nate's Collection, GoT and Spider-Man obviously would sell a lot too. Maybe even GoW3R.

I think they won't port unsuccessful/less successful games like The Order, Killzone Liberation, Driveclub, Knacks, etc. because their ports may not be profitable and Nixxes is going to be a lot of work porting the other games, enough to be busy the whole generation.

Top Bottom