• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kojima rejects ‘ridiculously high’ acquisition offers to stay independent

“He also confirmed that Kojima Productions was funded by himself and not by other companies.”

But this is a lie because the studio is funded by third parties who sign their games. It’s not like Kojima is funding the game and then they take it to a distributor like in Hollywood, maybe it’s a language barrier but he’s blowing a bit of smoke there.
You know more than him do you? Notice he said the studio not a specific game. He got the studio started with his own money, I thought that was pretty easy to understand.

kyliethicc

“He also confirmed that Kojima Productions was funded by himself and not by other companies.”

But this is a lie because the studio is funded by third parties who sign their games. It’s not like Kojima is funding the game and then they take it to a distributor like in Hollywood, maybe it’s a language barrier but he’s blowing a bit of smoke there.
He paid to set up his studio. Maybe he took out loans, but he's implying he didn't need to take on debt or give up equity. Obviously after that the company uses revenues to stay afloat - thats how every business works. He's simply saying when he left Konami and set up Kojima Productions he didn't need Sony or others to pay for some initial costs.

How long could KojiPro survive on their own if they cancelled all their current deals? Who knows. We don't know their accounts. burn rate, etc. But thats not really the point.

kiphalfton

Is this going to become his catch line like Dave Chappelle saying he turned down $50 million (i.e. every chance he gets)?

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
There's no reason for him to sell right now. But, maybe he'll sell the studio right before he retires to help secure a future for those still there. I could definitely see that happening.

Gaelyon

Gold Member
On Eurogamer UK : Kojima wants studio to remain independant "as long I'm alive"

Interesting podcast interview :

"Every day I am approached by offers from all over the world to buy our studio. Some of those offers are ridiculously high prices but it's not that I want money. I want to make what I want to make. That's why I created this studio. So as long as I'm alive, I don't think I'll ever accept those offers."

As for what else Kojima might work on in the future, the developer was clear it wouldn't be his franchises for Konami.

"Probably not Boktai," Kojima laughed. "Every single day from all over the world I get messages saying 'Hey, make a new Metal Gear', or PT, or Boktai or Zone of the Enders. I take this as a positive thing but also, as adults, everyone should know that this isn't going to happen, right? But they still send me stuff like this."

Elsewhere on the podcast, Kojima dismissed rumours he was involved in the development on PS5 vapourware game Abandoned as a "nuisance".

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
video games hitman GIF

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Too bad for the fan fiction authors who were hoping Sony will acquire the studio

He must have seriously got burned by Konami. A creative visionary values creative control, and after an experience like that I imagine he doesn't wanna be under anyone's thumb directly ever again.

jaysius

Banned
Good for him, he’ll make what he truly wants unfettered, truly the apex of a game dev.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Here's the thing about Kojima; He's a known creative, with name value and a track record of success. So he's always going to be in very solid position. The question mark was whether he had the skills to run an independent studio and produce quality work in a timely fashion - a question that was answered definitively with Death Stranding. Regardless of anyone's feelings on the type of product delivered, I don't think anyone could argue that technically it was extremely impressive for a new IP turned around on a relatively short schedule.

Yes, he had a lot of help from Guerrilla and Sony generally, but it was still extremely impressive for a new studio. As (for example) MS discovered with The Initiative, its not just about acquiring talent and funding them well - its about focus and productivity. Kojima got Death Stranding out the door, polished and bug free in 3 years, more or less from scratch. That's a serious achievement in today's scene, and it absolutely would not have gone unnoticed by the corporate bean-counters.

Puscifer

Gold Member
Why would Sony bother when the games will be exclusive or promoted as PlayStation games?
Because there's a contingent of legit fanatics who believe he deserves to be only on PlayStation. Even when I tried explaining that it doesn't make sense to do such a thing because he specifically made the studio to make the games he wants to make to the highest bidder for his creative freedom.

But this quote made me laugh

"Probably not Boktai," Kojima laughed. "Every single day from all over the world I get messages saying 'Hey, make a new Metal Gear', or PT, or Boktai or Zone of the Enders. I take this as a positive thing but also, as adults, everyone should know that this isn't going to happen, right? But they still send me stuff like this."

Because it really shows you how much people just want him to be funnelled into a certain place.

Top Bottom