• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kojima rejects ‘ridiculously high’ acquisition offers to stay independent

Draugoth

Gold Member
Bf2Yij9b-404e-1551.jpg

On his most recent podcast, Kojima admits he’s received multiple acquisition offers, and refutes rumours of his cancelled Stadia game.

Given his close working relationship with Sony, there was speculation at one point that Hideo Kojima’s studio, Kojima Productions, would be next in line to be absorbed into the company.

That didn’t happen, though, with Kojima saying at the time that his studio will remain purely independent.

More recently, he’s not only reiterated this pledge, but also revealed that he has routinely received ‘ridiculously high’ offers to sell his studio, all of which he’s rejected.

"Let me reiterate that we are indies. We have no affiliations whatsoever and we are not backed by anyone. And every day I am approached by offers all over the world to buy our studio. Some of those offers are ridiculously high prices but it’s not that I want money. I want to make what I want to make. That’s why I created this studio. So as long as I’m alive, I don’t think I will ever accept those offers."

He also confirmed that Kojima Productions was funded by himself and not by other companies.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Being funded on specific projects by a 3rd party is not even remotely close to being bought out and permanently owned by a 3rd party, come on now...

“He also confirmed that Kojima Productions was funded by himself and not by other companies.”

But this is a lie because the studio is funded by third parties who sign their games. It’s not like Kojima is funding the game and then they take it to a distributor like in Hollywood, maybe it’s a language barrier but he’s blowing a bit of smoke there.

Being funded on specific projects by a 3rd party is not even remotely close to being bought out and permanently owned by a 3rd party, come on now...

True, except when you need funding for every single project since you left Konami. No way can Kojipro make a AAA game with their own funds. While in Konami he had an unlimited wallet. Now he isnt owned but does directly rely on other people funding his games sooooo...

10000% microsoft or tencent, imo :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I'm 1000000000% sure if Sony buys KP with the terms of releasing their games on PS and PC day one forever its a deal done and done. This gotta be other companies.

Last edited:

Smiggs

True, except when you need funding for every single project since you left Konami. No way can Kojipro make a AAA game with their own funds. While in Konami he had an unlimited wallet. Now he isnt owned but does directly rely on other people funding his games sooooo...
But you also have have the option to shop your ideas around to different publishers, and maybe find one more hospitable to your idea than others, and get bankrolled that way. If you're owned by someone (say Sony or MS), and they don't like your pitch, it's never going to get the green light. By staying independent, you have a lot more flexibility in where your funding comes from, even if that may make things more difficult at times.

feynoob

Banned
“He also confirmed that Kojima Productions was funded by himself and not by other companies.”

But this is a lie because the studio is funded by third parties who sign their games. It’s not like Kojima is funding the game and then they take it to a distributor like in Hollywood, maybe it’s a language barrier but he’s blowing a bit of smoke there.
Edit: You are right.
It seems a language barrier.

Last edited:

Arachnid

Thank god. Keep your games multiplat other than the odd team up here and there with both consoles, please.

Kojima just continues to show why he's the GOAT dev.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Independent doesn't necessarily mean self-funded. Lots of independent studios make their way via third-party contracts.

For an independent AAA game Kojima would probably have to do what others do and raise capital via investment to be paid back with proceeds from the game. He seems to prefer partnering with companies like Sony and Microsoft for those projects as opposed to VC or other forms of capitalization. VC typically want some sort of equity stake in your company so third party contracts make sense. That way his studio is not under their control beyond what is contractually obligated and he remains free to chart his own course and take the risk that any project could be his last project.

Yoboman

I dont get remaining indie at his age from a financial POV. He could set his family up for generations

Love or hate the man’s work no one could ever question his artistic integrity. Genuinely believe he just wants to make unique art first and foremost. After Konami he probably isn’t willing to give away that much freedom again.

Yoboman

thats what passion looks like

dude is already rich anyway
Is he? I'm sure he is well off but he was ultimately a salaried employee at Konami maybe with some good bonuses

Wealth he'd acquire from acquisition would just be a different level

hinch7

If I had to make a guess, that would've been Microsoft thowing money at the guy.

Good on him I guess. We need more independant devs now more than ever.

Last edited:

Pedro Motta

Bf2Yij9b-404e-1551.jpg

[/URL]

On his most recent podcast, Kojima admits he’s received multiple acquisition offers, and refutes rumours of his cancelled Stadia game.

Given his close working relationship with Sony, there was speculation at one point that Hideo Kojima’s studio, Kojima Productions, would be next in line to be absorbed into the company.

That didn’t happen, though, with Kojima saying at the time that his studio will remain purely independent.

More recently, he’s not only reiterated this pledge, but also revealed that he has routinely received ‘ridiculously high’ offers to sell his studio, all of which he’s rejected.
Star Wars Disney Plus GIF by Disney+

SLB1904

Banned
Is he? I'm sure he is well off but he was ultimately a salaried employee at Konami maybe with some good bonuses

Wealth he'd acquire from acquisition would just be a different level
nah is definitely rich. im pretty sure he got loads of bonus working for konami. and all the funding he got from death stranding.

What an idiot, take the money. Fuck everyone else, who gives a shit you only get to live once.
to be fair he sounds like someone who would prefer a private cinema to money lol

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I dont get remaining indie at his age from a financial POV. He could set his family up for generations

Bidding war for his next projects and getting way more money than he would if he was beholden to a single publisher.

angrod14

I don't understand why would he have such high demand? He's sort of a one trick pony. Don't get me wrong, I loved Death Stranding, but lets not deny how niche that franchise is. Only thing he has made so far that has mass appeal is Metal Gear, and he ain't doing that anymore. Besides, while obviously talented, the guy it's extremely high budget both in terms of money and time: Always putting A-List Hollywood people in his games, cutting-edge graphics and tech, crazy stories and design choices. Commercially speaking, he just doesn't make sense.

Quasicat

I was hoping to see a list of who’s throwing money at him and seeing Konami on that list. That’s the moment you live for when they come knocking and you give them a huge
Ryan Stiles Middle Finger GIF

Pelta88

Microsoft is paying 14 Billion over market value for ATVI so I'm guessing they made an offer to Koji.

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member
I love that KojiPro are independent. I'm not surprised Kojima would prefer it remains that way after his experience with having all of the previous IP and tech he developed owned by another company.

I don't get why some are eager to see them acquired by a 1st party publisher though. He already collaborates with each of the big three already and made exclusive titles for them.
It's not always about money. The man obviously values his creative freedom, if you don't understand that then I don't know what to tell you.

Last edited:

vivftp

It seems obvious that all the usual suspects would've contacted him about being acquired. Those being Sony, Microsoft, Tencent and Embracer.

If he's happy to remain independent then great. KojiPro are going multi-project so they'll be pumping out more games anyways.

I'm sure Sony would be happy to continue funding a project under him since they've had Death Stranding and DS2 is on the way.

If at some later point he decides to sell, then at the very least he would have had an opportunity to work with multiple partners to see who he might prefer to continue to work with.

Top Bottom