• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kojima is 'Rethinking His Creative Process' - what do you think this means?

Shmunter

Death Stranding was one of the best games of the generation. Much better than MGS3 and 4. I can't wait to see what this crazy bastard does next. This guy is a breath of fresh air in an industry of Ubisoftian AAA games.

And on top of that, his latest games run like a hot knife through butter on PC.
Gee I just don’t know where you go after Death Stranding. It’s seems unbeatable as far as fresh, absorbing ideas go.

Let’s hope he doesn’t disappoint.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Death stranding’s success gave him the opportunity to be lazy but knowing kojima it means he’ll be even better.

dukeoflegs

My impression was the development process has changed because of Covid. I know the development process for the studio I was at at the start of the lockdown, the communication, what/when we delivered content, the roles people have, and bunch more. I've chatted with a bunch of friends and colleagues who have said the process has changed, some more dramatic than others. Maybe he is talking more about how he communicates with co-workers that are remote or taking on outside developers?
It's probably sitting at home, being locked up like Death Stranding was too real and depressing for him, so his themes might change. All his games and themes really do have a dark or depressing side to them.

docbot

Banned
Didnt touch Dead Stranding yet, but watched some vids, I like the walking concept, but Kojimas storytelling is a little too naive almost and seemed to work better with less super realistic graphics. It all seems a bit too comical and convoluted these days in my opinion.

Reactions: MrS
Hopefully not. The MGS series has clearly been the template for corridor games riddled with neverending cutscenes and subpar writing.

He also likes his women pretty and not fully clothed, so he should know better than take on ND and Santa Monica if he wants to keep selling his games on the American side of the Pacific.

This post triggered me a bit.

Yes, the Quiet thing was pretty fucking awful... but I liken it to Squeenix and Nomura with FFXV thinking fans would enjoy a bro-metal band gawking at tits and wandering for 60 hours.

Kojima IMO set a standard for bad ass women in a narrative with Sniper Wolf, Olga, etc. Of course it was flawed, but he also wasn't ashamed to show naked dudes and tons of gratuitous crotch shots either.

I think if you lined up all his games you'd have a 50/50 split of dude-gawking and lady-gawking. Maybe even more on the dude side (you did literally play a naked guy holding his junk the entire last level of MGS2...).

Edit: also to add - he was one of the first "narrative corridor story game" creators to hint at or openly show LGBT interaction. So much dick grabbing going on. And Volgin was gay af.

Last edited:
It means he's going... full American! Xbox purchase rumors are true :messenger_fire:

LOL jk boys. My take on it is that he will be more active in asking for feedback and thoughts on his ideas. Kojima strikes me as someone that those working with him don't really question. It could be fear, it could be respect, or it could just be general feeling of "who am I to say anything, it's Kojima" its probably a combination of all of it. It could be that ppl just nod and say "yes" or "okay" when he says stuff. But who knows really, it could very well be the other way around.

yurinka

I think he means that, like everybody else, they need to adapt to covid so won't be able to be all days full time next to his coworkers and will need to do a lot of video conference calls from home.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
No it's neither, open-world does not make a game better, it just makes it different. To act like linear games are the past is to imply that every game should strive to be an open world game, which would be even worse than when no games were open world.

Everyone's going open world for a reason. People like it better. (Not everybody obviously)

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Precisely. The new Ratchet and Clank is a linear game. Large levels yes, but it’s square down the middle a story driven campaign, even if it does have some open world map as a token. Still overall structure is very classic linear. Critics and fans alike are in unanimous praise about it.

Critics have proven to be irrelevant. Fans of Ratchet and Clank like the new Ratchet and Clank also isn't shocking.

When I say "Linear is the past", I mean it the same way I would have said "2D is the past" in the mid to late 90s. Yes, 2D games were still made, but their relavence dwindled over the years.

Reactions: MrS
J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Holding back.

(from a storytelling standpoint)

DustQueen

Banned
Death Stranding was one of the best games of the generation. Much better than MGS3 and 4. I can't wait to see what this crazy bastard does next. This guy is a breath of fresh air in an industry of Ubisoftian AAA games.

And on top of that, his latest games run like a hot knife through butter on PC.
Don't you dare to shit on MGS3.
It has far more complex gameplay systems n is far more creative with how it communicates it's themes thru gameplay.

And on top of it it does it while being a fun, well paced story rather then self serving pretentious garbage. I love complex non traditional narratives... But Kojima is no Jodorovsky, he is not even Jodorovsky's retarded cousin.

ACESHIGH

Banned
Don't you dare to shit on MGS3.
It has far more complex gameplay systems n is far more creative with how it communicates it's themes thru gameplay.

And on top of it it does it while being a fun, well paced story rather then self serving pretentious garbage. I love complex non traditional narratives... But Kojima is no Jodorovsky, he is not even Jodorovsky's retarded cousin.

I'dont know... I was never a fan of the linear corridor jungle in MGS3 or the annoying survival stuff. MGS2 is peak Metal Gear the way I see it.

I hope he goes back to his roots (MGS 1 - 3 ) and not this over-the-top nonsense. Yes I know MGS 1-3 is also over the top but true fans how grew up with those games will understand what I mean.
My dream is Kojima giving another shot to a tanker - like setting, tanker in mgs2 is one of the best gaming moments ever

Tight spaces, pure stealth, many guards, I'd love a game set in a skyscraper or a relatively small base where you have to reach the top, avoiding guards and traps, and such, all of this with Kojima mastery for stealth

Would be very Kojima like to go on the opposite direction the industry took, and in a world where every developer challenge others on who has the bigger dick ( open world) Kojima comes with a small setting again

Not that death stranding left me optimistic about this lol

Last edited:
He realized he was never a good developer, and that he needed better people around him to make good games and even good bad games.

He will do what DICE should go back to doing, making pinball and racing games.

Killer8

I hope he goes back to his roots (MGS 1 - 3 ) and not this over-the-top nonsense. Yes I know MGS 1-3 is also over the top but true fans how grew up with those games will understand what I mean.

It's not an accident that these were the best in the series while he still had Tomokazu Fukushima writing with him. He just needs someone sane to tell him "no".

“But since the era is catching up so quickly, it's not really just fiction anymore,” Kojima said. “So I've been re-thinking my creative process. I guess all creators are thinking the same way. It's almost similar to what happened after 9/11, considering which direction we should go as entertainment. I think that this is a big assignment for us."
I think he's going episodic.

He is probably making parallels with film directors doing series now.
I am worrying it means that he took some unfortunate advice from Hironobu Sakaguchi.
But Sakaguchi only lost one thing with age, budget.

Give him a proper one, and see him leapfrog the classic JPRG competition. He already did it with Lost Odyssey some 12 years ago. He writes really well, and heart is in the right place, I don't think he's pretentious, just confident. Can't say the same about Kojima.

A bit criminal nobody doubled down on it.

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
This post triggered me a bit.

Yes, the Quiet thing was pretty fucking awful... but I liken it to Squeenix and Nomura with FFXV thinking fans would enjoy a bro-metal band gawking at tits and wandering for 60 hours.

Kojima IMO set a standard for bad ass women in a narrative with Sniper Wolf, Olga, etc. Of course it was flawed, but he also wasn't ashamed to show naked dudes and tons of gratuitous crotch shots either.

I think if you lined up all his games you'd have a 50/50 split of dude-gawking and lady-gawking. Maybe even more on the dude side (you did literally play a naked guy holding his junk the entire last level of MGS2...).

Edit: also to add - he was one of the first "narrative corridor story game" creators to hint at or openly show LGBT interaction. So much dick grabbing going on. And Volgin was gay af.
I agree. My comment was more about the reception Kojima's most acclaimed works would get in today's climate. I personally like the man's quirkiness as a creator, but on the gameplay side of things I'm not particularly fond of anything MGS after the first game, nor do I like how MGS2 in particular clearly influenced western gaming in the last 20 years.

ZehDon

Gold Member
Given that some reviewers game up playing his last game out of sheer boredom and didn't score it, I can only hope he's looking at ways to keep players engaged and entertained. If he could also figure out a way to write a coherent story, that'd be swell too I guess.

As part of SGF yesterday, Kojima said:

“But since the era is catching up so quickly, it's not really just fiction anymore,” Kojima said. “So I've been re-thinking my creative process. I guess all creators are thinking the same way. It's almost similar to what happened after 9/11, considering which direction we should go as entertainment. I think that this is a big assignment for us."

When asked about his next project, Kojima declined to offer details, but said “it won’t be like the past, it won’t be one step at a time.”

Well it's pretty obvious after the 9/11 example. He wants to make fiction, so after 9/11 you couldn't make a game about a terrorist attack to new York,. Ow it wouldn't make sense to make a game about a pandemic or something similar because reality already caught up.

Top Bottom