• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kojima is 'Rethinking His Creative Process' - what do you think this means?

I took it as a response to people not thinking Death Stranding is "fun" which is why he emphasizes the next project being entertaining as the most important aspect.

Last edited:

Lone Denjin

I just had a bad premonition to what he really means with this statement, he is about to embrace the "subverting expectations" level of storytelling. So every game is going to be a hostile anti-climax. That all the press is going to celebrate as "profound" and visionary.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
People realized he was overrated. He made 2 or 3 good games many years ago and now ppl suck his dick over it while we have so many other talented artists that no one talks about, more than Fraudjima will ever be.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Seems like he wants to get away from the end of the world, despair, dark themes. Something more upbeat.

Papacheeks

Banned
This is his project with Microsoft. Mainly a type of game that will work well with streaming. This is still in negotiations, but from what the word is, this is to be a proof of concept for Xbox Xcloud, TV xbox app.

So it's still in conception stage at this point.

But expect something different that is not going to be traditional in the type of game Kojima usually makes.

As part of SGF yesterday, Kojima said:

“But since the era is catching up so quickly, it's not really just fiction anymore,” Kojima said. “So I've been re-thinking my creative process. I guess all creators are thinking the same way. It's almost similar to what happened after 9/11, considering which direction we should go as entertainment. I think that this is a big assignment for us."

When asked about his next project, Kojima declined to offer details, but said “it won’t be like the past, it won’t be one step at a time.”

I never understand two shits about what he says, but I always someway agree lol

Papacheeks

Banned
Literally has been also talked about by Grubb, and some of the people at other sites.

Dont expect this at Xbox E3 as the deal isn't done yet.

Last edited:

Cyborg

I hope he goes back to his roots (MGS 1 - 3 ) and not this over-the-top nonsense. Yes I know MGS 1-3 is also over the top but true fans how grew up with those games will understand what I mean.

Billbofet

He's overrated and washed up if he partners with XB. If he partners with Sony, best dev of all time!!!!

I loved MGS up through 4, but I think he should just make movies at this point or consult/produce an RPG. His name being mentioned on stuff is almost a negative to me in the last several years.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Hopefully it means a return to more linear narratives, super high end cutscenes.

Kojima should be taking on Naughty Dog and Santa Monica and get away from the open world bog

Linear isn't "the future". Linear is the past.

He could be hinting at multiplayer here.

ethomaz

Banned
He talked about entertainment in the games and to be it sounded like he's heard the criticism of death stranding and taken it to the heart. So I expect something more of an actual game for his next project and not some experimental passion project where he hides gameplay until release because it's almost non existential.

Disclaimer: I've enjoyed death stranding a lot and I like it a lot, but it flopped and most of the people didn't like it.
?

Death Stranding is pure gameplay.... so how he hide gameplay in a game that is over 90% gameplay.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
?

Death Stranding is pure gameplay.... so how he hide gameplay in a game that is over 90% gameplay.
It is in bad way if I can say. The pacing in this game it's awful. Some ideas are interesting other are pure frustration and unfun. The stealth session are a torture, nothing more.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
It is in bad way if I can say. The pacing in this game it's awful.
I don’t know matter of taste or maybe a matter how games used to be in the past… gamers today are too much critic to gameplay… they want simple things with checkpoints everywhere without any difficult.

I loved Death Stranding to the point to consider it the very best Kojima game… the fact the world is full puzzle mini game and the simple fact of walk a bit require your gameplay interaction is something jaw dropping.

It is a game made for gamers.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
I don’t know matter of taste or maybe a matter how games used to be in the past… gamers today are too much critic to gameplay… they want simple things with checkpoints everywhere without any difficult.

I loved Death Stranding to the point to consider it the very best Kojima game… the fact the world is full puzzle mini game and the simple fact of walk a bit require your gameplay interaction is something jaw dropping.

It is a game made for gamers.
I don't know what to tell you. I tried to replay after finished it to complete all the side quest. Goddammit the fucking stranders if they are annoying. They appears constantly during the walkthrough, even if you beaten the animal boss (or whatever is it), that's not fun for nothing, the hell he though Kojima? Every fucking time it's start to rain I swear to the clouds. I don't know how such stuff is considered fun or well balanced or a minor flaw. It's literally impossible to avoid it and it's part of the whole game structure. Another thing I don't understand it's why bosses fight are tied to the weapons? He said it's not a tps and it became exactly that during such sequence.

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member
Kojima is an interesting man. He always attracts very passionate fans and very critical detractors.
It would be worse if most people were indifferent to his work as a game designer and director.

Linear isn't "the future". Linear is the past.

He could be hinting at multiplayer here.

No it's neither, open-world does not make a game better, it just makes it different. To act like linear games are the past is to imply that every game should strive to be an open world game, which would be even worse than when no games were open world.

Shmunter

No it's neither, open-world does not make a game better, it just makes it different. To act like linear games are the past is to imply that every game should strive to be an open world game, which would be even worse than when no games were open world.
Precisely. The new Ratchet and Clank is a linear game. Large levels yes, but it’s square down the middle a story driven campaign, even if it does have some open world map as a token. Still overall structure is very classic linear. Critics and fans alike are in unanimous praise about it.

Last edited:

ACESHIGH

Banned
Death Stranding was one of the best games of the generation. Much better than MGS3 and 4. I can't wait to see what this crazy bastard does next. This guy is a breath of fresh air in an industry of Ubisoftian AAA games.

And on top of that, his latest games run like a hot knife through butter on PC.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Cloud based game.

I don't know if it's people willfully trying to forget, or what... but Kojima said this after DS:

He then was rumored to be making a game for Stadia, which probably got cancelled.

Do people think he'd just abandon an idea he had he thinks is cool?

He also just made a game about connecting people... and when you build something in the cloud, everything is in the same datacenter.. and maybe he has an idea for how that could enhance something from a multiplayer standpoint.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
I don't know what to tell you. I tried to replay after finished it to complete all the side quest. Goddammit the fucking stranders if they are annoying. They appears constantly during the walkthrough, even if you beaten the animal boss (or whatever is it), that's not fun for nothing, the hell he though Kojima? Every fucking time it's start to rain I swear to the clouds. I don't know how such stuff is considered fun or well balanced or a minor flaw. It's literally impossible to avoid it and it's part of the whole game structure. Another thing I don't understand it's why bosses fight are tied to the weapons? He said it's not a tps and it became exactly that during such sequence.
There are several ways to avoid them.
I mean I just fought the ones required.

If you have online enabled it will basically have covers in all rain sections for example... if you don't then you can create your own cover.... you can left the area... you just dodge them... etc... etc... etc.

I mean the Baby tells you exactly where they are.... you can even see them with the scan.

Gameplay without entertainment so he needs something more entertaining.
Destiny and Death Stranding were the two best entertaining experiences I have last gen.
Both delivered gameplay at very top.

Last edited:

Pull n Pray

Banned
He seems worried that Death Stranding somehow conjured Covid into existence. So expect bunnies and sunshine for his next game.

But seriously, it sounds like he is saying that, in a world that is rapidly changing, it is more challenging for game creators to tell stories that are relevant to society. So he has presented the problem, and soon he will introduce what he sees as the solution: episodic content with shorter development cycles.

Eliciel

One step at a time means walking, so more walking simulator? Maybe ZoE meets MGS meets Death Stranding!

GeorgPrime

Banned
He will play his games in real life and think about it being fun enough. For example:

for Death Stranding Kojima will wear a full body armor and walk through the wastelands trying to deliver packages by feet.

Top Bottom