• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Koei Tecmo Developers Tease New Games While Preparing for PS5 and the Next-Generation

Mista

Banned
koei_tecmo-logo.jpg

The latest issue of Weekly Famitsu included a question & answers session with a few developers from Koei Tecmo, and they had some interesting teases to share.

Dynasty Warriors Producer Akihiro Suzuki mentions that he’s sorry that he could not provide any new information in 2019, but 2020 is a special year due to the 20th anniversary of the Dynasty Warriors series. There will be many events that will please the fans and announcements of new information related to games.

Team Ninja president Yosuke Hayashi says that NiOh 2 will be released in March, but other games will also be announced. A new era will begin with the release of PS5, and Hayashi-san would like to provide a game worthy of that era.

NiOh 2 producer Fumihiko Yasuda mentions that he’d first like to complete NiOh 2 and its DLC (which I guess we can take as a semi-confirmation that there will be DLC for the game) while preparing for the next generation. He also believes that Team Ninja needs to be rejuvenated, so a relevant goal is to grow the next generation of directors and developers.

Speaking of NiOh 2, it will release (at least for now) exclusively for PS4 on March 13, 2020.

MoreJRPG

Suffers from extreme PDS
Happy to see them embracing next gen. They’re one of the few Japanese studios that are ready in the early launch window with games to play.

Stuart360

Nioh has 3 types of game modes PS4: Action 720p/60 fps, Resolution 1080p/30 fps and Variable 1080p/30~60fps.

On Pc you can get 4k and 60 fps.

So....what are you talking about?
Oh i know about on PC, i have the game. I didnt realize it had a 1080p mode on consol, i thought it was just 720p. It was also just a joke.

Aion002

Oh i know about on PC, i have the game. I didnt realize it had a 1080p mode on consol, i thought it was just 720p. It was also just a joke.
Pro can get 1080p and 60fps and it's quite solid.

Anyway, can't wait for Nioh 2! I will plat on Ps4 and Pc!!:messenger_grinning_squinting:

Stuart360

Ninja Gaiden could be easy and watered down like Ninja Gaiden 3. Although after Nioh, they would probably go hard again.

Klayzer

Come on, you know what i mean. NG3 was waaay easier than the other games, no matter what difficulty.
So true. Nothing will ever replicate the rage inducing breakdowns like NG2 on the 360. I still have nightmares about the off screen rocket launching mecha-ninjas or the knife wielding ninja dogs stunlocking your ass.

NT80

Nioh has 3 types of game modes PS4: Action 720p/60 fps, Resolution 1080p/30 fps and Variable 1080p/30~60fps.

On Pc you can get 4k and 60 fps.

So....what are you talking about?

Thing is why does a game that looks like Nioh need to be in 720P to run at 60fps on base PS4? If there had never been a PS4 pro would the game be running at 1080p 60fps on the regular PS4? It almost looks like a PS3 game.

Aion002

Thing is why does a game that looks like Nioh need to be in 720P to run at 60fps on base PS4? If there had never been a PS4 pro would the game be running at 1080p 60fps on the regular PS4? It almost looks like a PS3 game.

The main thing for the game is the gameplay, is fast and fluid, it allows fast changing inputs by the player.... so in 60 fps this is way more fluid, for example: like a fighting game.... There are lot of stuff happening on combat, so even if the graphics aren't great, it makes sense to prioritize the fps.... hence the option.

The player can still pick better graphics in the resolution mode, but from a gameplay perspective, 60 fps is way better for most players.... Still, you can play at 1080p on PS4.... even on the original or slim.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
The player can still pick better graphics in the resolution mode, but from a gameplay perspective, 60 fps is way better for most players.... Still, you can play at 1080p on PS4.... even on the original or slim.
Its something I wish FROM would do for their games, let us pick between resolution and higher framerate.

Tarkus98

Doesn’t Koei Tecmo usually release a new game during PlayStations release window? I seem to recall Dynasty Warriors game coming out around PS4’s release, no?

NT80

The main thing for the game is the gameplay, is fast and fluid, it allows fast changing inputs by the player.... so in 60 fps this is way more fluid, for example: like a fighting game.... There are lot of stuff happening on combat, so even if the graphics aren't great, it makes sense to prioritize the fps.... hence the option.

Yes I know that and would never pick the 30 fps option but my point was that Nioh almost looks like a PS3 game so really ought to run at 1080p and 60 fps as standard on the base PS4. There are much better looking games that run at 60fps pretty well at 1080P or 900P.

Aion002

Yes I know that and would never pick the 30 fps option but my point was that Nioh almost looks like a PS3 game so really ought to run at 1080p and 60 fps as standard on the base PS4. There are much better looking games that run at 60fps pretty well at 1080P or 900P.

Maybe budget constraints or bad coding? Team Ninja always makes games a little poorly optimized. Remember Ninja Gaiden 2? Even on Xbox One it runs with slowdowns:

cireza

Banned
Team Ninja always makes games a little poorly optimized.
Is this a joke ? There isn't a single fighting game out there that rivaled DoA5 and now 6 in terms of loading times. These game have great, clean graphics as well, and they use an in-house engine. Team Ninja is one of the most competent Japanese developer.

Aion002

Is this a joke ? There isn't a single fighting game out there that rivaled DoA5 and now 6 in terms of loading times. These game have great, clean graphics as well, and they use an in-house engine. Team Ninja is one of the most competent Japanese developer.
So... You never played Ninja Gaiden on PS360?:messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

I really hope we get another Ninja Gaiden game. We're long overdue for one but please don't be anothee reboot but a proper sequel and a good one.

For NG4, I hope they go back to Fiends and Vigoor Empire story. My main complaint is how NG3 had very little-to-nothing related to that.

Btw I think it would be cool if they did a DOA action game in the vain of Ninja Gaiden. They once had planned to do one but it got scrapped. Plus an action game focused on a different DOA character would help build a Dead or Alive Cinematic Universe.

Yeah, the big bundle for pre-ordering has a season pass to it (NiOh 2). I wonder if they could rejuvenate with a proper Ninja Gaiden reboot.
I pre-ordered the deluxe edition, which is rare for me. If it's like the 3 DLC from the first game it's a pretty good deal actually.

For NG4, I hope they go back to Fiends and Vigoor Empire story. My main complaint is how NG3 had very little-to-nothing related to that.
Little known fact about NG3, they actually brought back the original story creator for the NES games to make the story for NG3.

I'd be fine if they make a new story with a NG 4 and 5. I think the Vigoor story is pretty much done.

In the end though, I don't really play these for story.

Last edited:
I pre-ordered the deluxe edition, which is rare for me. If it's like the 3 DLC from the first game it's a pretty good deal actually.

Little known fact about NG3, they actually brought back the original story creator for the NES games to make the story for NG3.

I'd be fine if they make a new story with a NG 4 and 5. I think the Vigoor story is pretty much done.

In the end though, I don't really play these for story.
There's still story with the holes in it even if small but, say, the actual Vigoor (not the Vigoor Emperor we've been seeing and slaying) is still out there.

I think there's another major Archfiend we haven't seen yet as well.

I guess I'd be okay with a new NG story but I hope they keep it weird and wild. Like different dimensions or even have shit go down in space. Ryu or a grandson on a spaceship. Part of what I like about the NG games are all the big, crazy bosses and varied environments.

JordanN

Banned
Btw I think it would be cool if they did a DOA action game in the vain of Ninja Gaiden. They once had planned to do one but it got scrapped. Plus an action game focused on a different DOA character would help build a Dead or Alive Cinematic Universe.
There's actually a game already like this. Musou Stars/Warrior All Stars. Although I'm not sure if it's canon or just a crossover but several DOA characters are playable.

Last edited:
There's actually a game already like this. Musou Stars/Warrior All Stars. Although I'm not sure if it's canon or just a crossover but several DOA characters are playable.

It's not canon and just a big crossover fan service thing.

I mean like the way that DOA and NG exist in the same world canonically.

They DID have a DOA action game planned called Dead or Alive: Chronus but that's when Itagaki had a falling out with Tecmo and he left or got the boot thus the game got canceled. Some parts of the game were already made too.

Top Bottom