• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Koei Tecmo announced that it is raising the average employee salary again! This time by 7.7%. This follows a 23% raise last year!

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Sony acquisition confirmed.

Stupidity Are You Stupid GIF

-

On topic, yeah boiiii get that bread Tecmo employees.

Last edited:
305k yen a month is so ridiculously low for a graduate in business, engineering, etc. though
Sad that salaries in Japan have stagnated so much over last decades...

You would make around 5x-10x more as a graduate in the silicon valley, after much easier studies. Cost of life is lower in tokyo vs SV but not that much lower obviously...

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Good that Koei is raising salaries but I thought it was pretty low. I have a higher salary and my job is not nearly as challenging or complex as a game dev. I probably work fewer hours as well.

HTK

Banned
Is this one of those where the employees are working for nothing so even a 200% raise has them living in poverty?

CamHostage

Is this one of those where the employees are working for nothing so even a 200% raise has them living in poverty?

This salary now roughly translates to $26K USD annual.

They make $2175 a month and a "typical" Tokyo apartment is $1900 (although you would probably get an apartment outside Tokyo and commute in, so more like $400-$1200 depending on the area and access.) This pay bump does keep them just below the next income tax level, which would go from 10% to 20%.

It's not the lowest pay rate against the regional average, and it is a starter job (albeit after graduating university,) but it doesn't feel like a compelling financial start to a career...

Last edited:

StereoVsn

This salary now roughly translates to $26K USD annual.

They make $2175 a month and a "typical" Tokyo apartment is $1900 (although you would probably get an apartment outside Tokyo and commute in, so more like $400-$1200 depending on the area and access.) This pay bump does keep them just below the next income tax level, which would go from 10% to 20%.

It's not the lowest pay rate against the regional average, and it is a starter job (albeit after graduating university,) but it doesn't feel like a compelling financial start to a career...

Salaries are low, but it's not one to one compared to say US. Medical is included, usually companies pay an allowance for public transport, sometimes there is an allowance for housing, and there are other aspects.

Tokyo is also quite a general term and consists of multiple towns really. A modest apartment can be had like you say for $500-1000 and if one is willing to have a roommate, it gets cheaper.

You also don't need a car as public transport in major cities is very good. That apartment above is going to be 10-15 min walk from a metro station and overall commute will be under an hour even from relative outskirts.

That said, yeah, these salaries are pretty bad.

Edit: Also overall cost of living is quite a bit lower (outside central Tokyo), except for a few specific things. So food expenses in general will be quite a bit less.

Last edited:
305k yen a month is so ridiculously low for a graduate in business, engineering, etc. though
Sad that salaries in Japan have stagnated so much over last decades...

You would make around 5x-10x more as a graduate in the silicon valley, after much easier studies. Cost of life is lower in tokyo vs SV but not that much lower obviously...

It's actually significantly cheaper.

https://livingcost.org/cost/san-jose-us/yokohama

I chose Yokohama rather than Tokyo, because that is where Koei Tecmo is located and I think that's relevant. The cost of living in tokyo is also still significantly cheaper.

I think you also overstate what the average graduate would make in the same industry.

https://www.ziprecruiter.com/Salaries/Video-Game-Developer-Salary-in-San-Jose,CA#Monthly

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa

FunkMiller

Japanese gaming companies continuing to make western ones look fucking stupid. Repeatedly.

Last edited:
Top Bottom