• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Koei Tecmo announce new AAA IP slated for 2022 (next gen title for XsX and/or PS5)

cormack12

Gold Member
Source: https://www.dualshockers.com/koei-tecmo-new-ip-5-million-copies-after-2022/

Koei Tecmo announced in its latest financials that one of the new console game IP it’s currently developing, with the aim for it to sell over 5 million copies, will now be releasing sometime after 2022. The latest financials from Koei Tecmo were published on October 26, and cover the second quarter of the ongoing Japanese fiscal year, ending with March 2021. In the document, page 15, Koei Tecmo explained the delay of this new IP.

Koei Tecmo mentions: “Reasons behind the delay: Taking advantage of the high performances of the new consoles. Giving our original title the appropriate level of quality for a game that aims to sell over 5 million copies.”

In other words, the delay will serve to make this new IP even better and perfectly geared towards next-gen. With this, Koei Tecmo also confirmed this new IP is specifically developed for PS5 and / or Xbox Series X.

Having a pop at the DS article, not you Op

When they say "specifically designed for..." Do they mean, they know which console it will release for but haven't announced it yet, or that it's specifically designed for a console that they haven't specifically decided on yet?

Anyway, i look forward to hearing more about this game in 2023

N30RYU

Koei Tecmo also confirmed this new IP is specifically developed for PS5 and / or Xbox Series X

confirmed shit then.

They need to have better graphics and less reused assets. Nioh 2 while having a really good gameplay, and combat loop, the graphics, and the level design was so repetitive (and even had Nioh 1 levels in it lol).

We’ve had Dynasty Warriors, Samurai Warriors, Warriors Orochi. Next gen only? It’s inevitable...

Console Warriors

Cant wait to slay thousands of virtual Neo members with my max-level Ethomaz.

Aion002

Nioh 3 or Ninja Gaiden is all I want.

However.... It's probably a new Warriors game, since Team Ninja didn't finish the dlcs for Nioh 2.

Last edited:

CamHostage

After Nioh/Nion 2, I'm excited to see what they have up their sleeve.

Well, Ni-Oh is a PS3-gen franchise, so...

Kidding, of course. (I don't know that anything of the Ni-Oh concept survived besides the hair...) But heck, what if they did it again and resurrected another graveyard project to be their AAA next-gen focus? Now may be your time, Project Progressive...

Woopah

This seems incredibly ambitious. Age of Calamity is about to become KT's highest ever selling game and even that might not hit 5 million.

FrankWza

Yeah man, a lot of dev resources needed to get those high fidelity mental gymnastics in 4K 60fps. Imagine the ray-traced D’Ghost polls. 400Gb required to fit all of the TheLastWords full stops in.
I meant the 5 million copies of this title they’re expecting to sell. It’s in the op.

Matt_Fox

It's a brand new IP so it wont be any of their existing series.

Koei Tecmo are one of those publishers that usually manage the tricky job of pleasing both Japanese and Western audiences. 5 million is ambitious, but possible - I'll look forward to finding out more.

I gotta try Nioh some time but I’m not buying a PlayStation just for it. I’ll definitely be interested in something new from them since it’s seems like Team Ninja has gotten back on track after Ninja Gaiden 3 and I’m glad it’s next gen only so it won’t be held back by anything besides the SeS to a degree.

Y0ssarian

Banned
Why the bump?!
Because...

fIad6yX.jpg

I wanted to

Y0ssarian

Banned
Good enough lol!

I can't wait either, finger crossed.

"Interviews with several Koei Tecmo subsidiaries were included in the article, with Team Ninja brand director Fumihiko Yasuda teasing an action game set during China's Three Kingdoms period of history and Fatal Frame producer Yosuke Kikushi talking about his team taking on a challenge that was completely new to him and his team."

Ceadeus

"Interviews with several Koei Tecmo subsidiaries were included in the article, with Team Ninja brand director Fumihiko Yasuda teasing an action game set during China's Three Kingdoms period of history and Fatal Frame producer Yosuke Kikushi talking about his team taking on a challenge that was completely new to him and his team."
Oh so a warrior game maybe then a fatal frame.

They released Samurai Warrior 5 not so long ago, mmm maybe a return to strategic three kingdom game?

Meanwhile, all the Ninja Gaiden fans are like

Frustrated Jason Segel GIF by NETFLIX

Last edited:
Source: https://www.dualshockers.com/koei-tecmo-new-ip-5-million-copies-after-2022/

Koei Tecmo announced in its latest financials that one of the new console game IP it’s currently developing, with the aim for it to sell over 5 million copies, will now be releasing sometime after 2022. The latest financials from Koei Tecmo were published on October 26, and cover the second quarter of the ongoing Japanese fiscal year, ending with March 2021. In the document, page 15, Koei Tecmo explained the delay of this new IP.

Koei Tecmo mentions: “Reasons behind the delay: Taking advantage of the high performances of the new consoles. Giving our original title the appropriate level of quality for a game that aims to sell over 5 million copies.”

In other words, the delay will serve to make this new IP even better and perfectly geared towards next-gen. With this, Koei Tecmo also confirmed this new IP is specifically developed for PS5 and / or Xbox Series X.

I like there are still pubs that aren't deluded enough to think that every game can possibly sell 50million copies. So they develop games with a much more reasonable budget in mind.

Good on ya, Koei Tecmo. If your gameplay is solid, I'm all in.

Top Bottom