• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Knights of the Old Republic remake ‘is in development at Aspyr Media’

Bullet Club

Knights of the Old Republic remake ‘is in development at Aspyr Media’​

Texas-based studio has recently remastered many other Star Wars games

A Knights of the Old Republic remake is currently in development at Aspyr Media, the developer behind several recent Star War remasters.

That’s according to Bloomberg journalist Jason Schreier, speaking on the MinnMax Show, corroborated by a separate report from Eurogamer.

Aspyr is behind the recent re-releases of Star Wars: Jedi Knight II, Republic Commando and Episode 1 Racer. It’s even ported KoTOR to iOS in the past, along with another BioWare title, Jade Empire.

Earlier this year, Aspyr was acquired by Embracer Group to work under Saber Interactive, the studio which itself is known for remaking and remasters, including Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary and The Witcher 3’s upcoming next-gen version.

Schreier previously claimed that a KoTOR game was in development somewhere outside of Electronic Arts and original developer BioWare, but in Tuesday’s video he confirmed it was in development at Aspyr.

While Aspyr is known for releasing straight ports, the KoTOR project will be “more of a remake”, according to Eurogamer.

Released in 2003, the fan-favourite RPG from BioWare tells a Jedi versus Sith story set some 4,000 years before the rise of the Galactic Empire featured in 1977’s Star Wars film.

Obsidian created a sequel, The Sith Lords, in 2004 and there hasn’t been a mainline Knights of the Old Republic game in the near-17-years since (unless you count EA’s 2011 MMO The Old Republic).

Last year entertainment publication Cinelinx cited two sources as having claimed that a KoTOR “remake” or “sequel of sorts” had been greenlit – presumed to be at Electronic Arts – after an earlier attempt at reviving the series had been shelved by EA.

Although the original Knights of the Old Republic games have been officially wiped from Star Wars canon following Disney’s acquisition of the franchise, there have been signs it’s looking to reintroduce story elements from the games.

In 2017, some KoTOR plot elements were referenced in the Star Wars Rebels animated series, such as the Mandalorian Wars and the ancient Sith planet Malachor. A deleted scene from The Clone Wars was also reportedly set to include Darth Revan from KoTOR.

Later, an art book for movie Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker contained reference to a Sith Legion named after Revan.

In 2019, Lucasfilm also announced it would launch a range of media exploring the “High Republic Era”, which officially takes place several hundred years before the Star Wars movies.

Source: VGC

Ellery

Even if it is in development right now I won't believe that the game exists or will be finished before I actually play it.

Too many rumours have been wrong, too many games have been cancelled or delayed heavily. There is no more good faith left in me to believe, because it is too damn draining.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
nervous star wars GIF

Their last port jobs have been...Acceptable I guess, but they still feel half baked. It's cheaper and usually a better experience to spend the 10 minutes it takes to just get the PC versions up and running than to rebuy and hope they did the bare acceptable minimum.

Last edited:

Gp1

Given the attention that "Revan is part of the cannon/ Who is Revan?" received recently on the news, this remake will probably be the "cross-media" component of something that Lucasfilm will announce soon. Maybe Regan/kotor series or movie.

Last edited:

Sentenza

Hope is not another Hardsuit Labs/Bloodlines 2 scenario with inexperienced developers trying to tackle a genre they have no familiarity with only by virtue of "being fans of the original".

MiguelItUp

Hmm... Considering the look of their previous ports, they looked almost like direct ports with just better and more HD textures. But not a fully and completely revamped remake. So I think some people may already be expecting much more than we may be getting.

Unless I'm totally wrong and they're going all in on this one, more so than their previous ones.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Hopefully the combat gets completely reworked to be a fully Turn Based RPG, or a realtime Action RPG, or well anything instead of whatever the FUCK the original game's combat is supposed to be.

Literally any other battle system will be an improvement. Even turning it into a card battle.

Kokoloko85

Hopefully the combat gets completely reworked to be a fully Turn Based RPG, or a realtime Action RPG, or well anything instead of whatever the FUCK the original game's combat is supposed to be.

Literally any other battle system will be an improvement. Even turning it into a card battle.

Either keep it the same/ update it like Witcher 1’s combat.
Or make it realtime Action RPG. ( This is what Id prefer for a remake ) something about Sekiro’s sword combat would work well with light sabers.

Naked Lunch

Im getting tired of no name hack developers getting the keys to legendary franchises.
Panzer Dragoon, House of the Dead, R-Type, and now KoToR to name a couple.

Blond

Banned
Even if it’s true I have a hard time wanting to be excited for this. The game design mindset for this kind of game is long gone or moved over to Crpgs (which isn’t a bad thing). I feel like if it does come out, which I doubt considering how many rumors about sequels and remakes have popped up since I was in high school in the mid 00s, it’s gonna be pretty modernized and most “builds” will end up streamlined.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
Embracer Group seems to be a very hands off publisher. I'm cautiously optimistic that it will remain faithful to the original. I'm also glad someone lesser known is doing this. I'm willing to give it a chance.

At least BioWare isn't doing it. I have no faith in them anymore.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Even if it’s true I have a hard time wanting to be excited for this. The game design mindset for this kind of game is long gone or moved over to Crpgs (which isn’t a bad thing). I feel like if it does come out, which I doubt considering how many rumors about sequels and remakes have popped up since I was in high school in the mid 00s, it’s gonna be pretty modernized and most “builds” will end up streamlined.

I dont feel like the actual roleplaying with different builds has ever been a big appeal of bioware games. Its more the characters & story choices you make. So a streamlined system would not hurt kotor much imo.

Leave the actual hard rpg stuff to obsidian.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I still enjoy it on my iPad. It's a good airplane game and the touch controls work well for the turn based combat.

I hope Aspyre have the chops to do a good job.

N30RYU

zero faith in this being more than an upscaled retextured remaster.... KOTOR needs an insanely TON of work to be remade... and I don't see them qualified to do so.

Last edited:
Top Bottom