• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KKK leader found dead near Missouri river after going missing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zakalwe

Banned
I never said you should shed tears i just find this weird obsession with people being ok with people assaulting and killing other people on this forum but completely back pedal when it comes to the death penalty.

The opposition to the death penalty isn't always to do with the killing itself, but the government having the power to kill.

Some people are beyond reason and their existence will only cause harm to innocent people.

Supast4r

Why do people keep asking if they should be or shouldn't be sad? I never brought up that.

I am just asking people do they think it's ok to assault people they don't agree with it and to kill assholes? Will i have trouble sleeping at night because he's dead? No, but i just find it weird comparing the reactions to threads like this to other threads dealing with people dying. Like when someone wants to put down someone who murdered multiple people vs a guy who never actually murdered anyone. It's more devils advocate if anything i never said be sad over it i have absolutely no love for nazi's and racist people it's just weird that people change their tone so fast.
I look at it from a utilitarian point of view. This one man dying protects 100 of people that he was "at war with" who were peacefully protesting.

I know they aren't, I'm just trying to elaborate on my initial stance, because the person I was replying to seemed to interpret my original response as me standing up for a clansman, which really wasn't what I was doing.

Yeah but isn't it an immediate invitation to pointless metadiscussion to show up to a thread where people are mock-mourning a dead terrorist and say 'hey guys maybe we shouldn't justify murder!' This is that goddamn obituary thread all over again. Not every death should be met with reverent silence if people have nothing nice to say, and people saying mean things about awful people, even recently deceased ones, ultimately reflects a pressure valve for people who are fed up with the nonstop torrent of white supremacist wins since last November, and not of a population gone feral and actually demanding unfettered vigilantism?

KKK leader found dead
acb0f4b451046c648627ecb627424e1e.gif

OK.

AntChum

If this guy's death came about because of his being a member of the Klan, then that's entirely on him. You don't get to be a member of a terror group that regularly lynched PoC back in the day, only to complain when you wind up dead in a ditch.

Zubz

Banned
Sounds like some shady shit that went bad.

Well, sucks for him I guess. Can't feel sorry in this case.

Yeah. I could not bring myself to feel sympathy after reading the headline, but this makes it seem like a drug or weapons deal. Even ignoring the fact he is a KKK leader and thus an abhorrent creature by default, it sounds like this was an inevitability.

His death may have had little to do with his contempt for his fellow humans, but I still feel it's nothing to get worked up over.

Derwind

One less terrorist. Isn't that what America wants?

White terrorism is as American as Apple pie.

We got to reflect anytime anything happens to these fallen American hero's.

Black person (many times a minor) gets openly murder... "let's not forget, he/she probably had it coming"

Hey everybody check me out I've got such deep and nuanced philosophies listen to this I think murder is bad no matter what!

Yeah no shit. This is like a middle schooler's moral stand. Guess what, the murderer is a bad person (and should be punished) and so was this guy. Doesn't mean anyone should waste an ounce of sympathy for a dead leader of the actual KKK.

You had me at hey!

Supast4r

I don't believe in the death penalty and I don't believe in vigilante justice. Bottom line, regardless of the criminal in question or the nature of their crimes...whether they happen to be mass-murders or deranged racist clansman. I believe people who harbour insidious (and evil) beliefs that involve harming or killing other human beings and who plan to act on those beliefs should be put behind bars for a very, very long time. But I don't believe they should be killed by citizens who decide to take the law into their own hands.

From the sounds of it, this was a supremely fucked up and evil human being and I don't doubt that many people will miss him on this planet. But I feel that as a result of his actions, he deserved to be put away and made an example of via the law. If we take that process away, justice can't be counted on and the system breaks down as people begin to feel this kind of vigilantism is acceptable. I know this is just one isolated example, but I don't believe in making exceptions in regards to the way we deal with toxic and hateful individuals such as this man in the story.
Because throwing people in cages to be forgotten about is any better than killing them? The prison system is flawed by design because what's the point of throwing someone in jail for life when you can just kill them. Society already believes that they should never be allowed back into it. The only thing that I disagree about the death penalty is how long it takes to actually carry out. Theorietically it's good but in practice the process is what makes me not full support it.

Why do people keep asking if they should be or shouldn't be sad? I never brought up that.

I am just asking people do they think it's ok to assault people they don't agree with it and to kill assholes? Will i have trouble sleeping at night because he's dead? No, but i just find it weird comparing the reactions to threads like this to other threads dealing with people dying. Like when someone wants to put down someone who murdered multiple people vs a guy who never actually murdered anyone. It's more devils advocate if anything i never said be sad over it i have absolutely no love for nazi's and racist people it's just weird that people change their tone so fast.

And as I said, nobody here seems to think that "killing assholes" is the right thing to do. So I'm not sure what you're playing devils advocate here for. And even if he didn't murder anyone, he advocates for the systematically killing of people based on their looks, which evidently lead to some dark parts in recent history. So I'd say it's only natural for nobody feeling any sympathy for him, or as you said, changing our tone. Especially in a time where people like this guy can rise to a position like the White House chief strategist.

Supast4r

I know they aren't, I'm just trying to elaborate on my initial stance, because the person I was replying to seemed to interpret my original response as me standing up for a clansman, which really wasn't what I was doing.

Yes, I would.

I don't believe in murdering criminals, either within the law or outside it. Full stop. No matter what those criminals have done.

Okay, I'm out.
What's the difference between murdering someone via death penalty or throwing them in jail for "life." We are still just throwing them out of society forever because we deemed the criminal to be a danger to so with and that they aren't fixable. Other than the due process of the death penalty (which does cost more than jail for life and does take a long ass time) I believe that it's better. Same applies here. In a perfect world this man is jailed for life for all of his hate crimes so it makes no difference to me. Good news in a sea of bad news.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I guess I have sympathy for the people around him, who cared for him IF they didn't share his views.

Derwind

What's the difference between murdering someone via death penalty or throwing them in jail for "life." We are still just throwing them out of society forever because we deemed the criminal to be a danger to so with and that they aren't fixable. Other than the due process of the death penalty (which does cost more than jail for life and does take a long ass time) I believe that it's better. Same applies here. In a perfect world this man is jailed for life for all of his hate crimes so it makes no difference to me. Good news in a sea of bad news.

Except someone that is killed via the death penalty and later exonerated, can't really celebrate their innocence.

At the very least life in prison has much better odds for someone innocent to be set free once exonerated because they're still breathing.

The justice system doesn't operate in an absolute manner, why is the punishment one that is absolute in its execution?

Zubz

Banned
"No One Deserves to be Killed for their Beliefs" = "I am okay with someone lynching black people"

"KKK leader found dead" = "Being killed for their beliefs"

Based on the article, it really sounds like a drug deal or gun run gone wrong. It's just the victim also happened to be a person who dedicated his life to devaluing others', so it's hard to feel sympathy.

rjinaz

I guess I have sympathy for the people around him, who cared for him IF they didn't share his views.

I don't know those people, but yes I'm sure there will be people decent people that loved him and will miss him. Though in reality, if we spent our time having sympathy for everybody that died and sympathy for all their loved ones we would spend all of our time in life in despair. Those people will grieve regardless of what others think. As such I have no problem saying I have no sympathy for that man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom