• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kirby's Return to Dream Land Deluxe | Review Thread

Draugoth

Gold Member
Kirbys-Return-to-Dreamland-Deluxe-scaled-1.jpg

Game Information:​

Game Title: Kirby's Return to Dream Land Deluxe

Platforms:
  • Nintendo Switch (Feb 24, 2023)
Trailer:
Developer: Nintendo

Publisher: Nintendo

Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic - 85 average - 100% recommended - 5 reviews

gFvuBqr.jpg

Critic Reviews​

Console Creatures - Bobby Pashalidis - Recommended
Kirby’s Return to Dream Land Deluxe packs a surprising amount of content while adding an epilogue that's well worth experiencing.

GameSpot - Steve Watts - 7 / 10
Kirby's Return to Dream Land Deluxe brings a cheerfully gentle Wii-era platformer to Nintendo Switch with smart additions and a big new epilogue.

Gameblog - French - 8 / 10
Nintendo's cutest mascot goes back to its root. Kirby's Return to Dream Land Deluxe serves us the same dish as on Wii, but with a new presentation, a side dish that will delight and a desert that will satisfy the hungriest players. The recipe and the ingredients are familiar, it's delicious as ever. Magolor‘s epilogue brings enough flavors to spice up an already well-cooked experience. Without innovating, this side story brings a touch of challenge that was missing in the original game. A terribly charming title.

Nintendo Life - PJ O'Reilly - 9 / 10
Kirby's Return to Dream Land Deluxe is a fantastic remake of one of our favourite Kirby adventures. With slick new visuals, some meaningful gameplay tweaks and two excellent new modes to dig into, this is a big, loud and colourful celebration of all things Kirby that should delight new and returning players alike. Magalor's Epilogue is a surprisingly chunky addition to the core action that gives the campaign a nice boost, whilst Merry Magoland ensures that you and your pals are kept busy with plenty of minigames, missions and online challenges to best once you're done with the main story mode. It's another win for everyone's favourite pink puffball.

PCMag - 4.5 / 5
Return to Dreamland Deluxe is a Nintendo Switch remake of a beloved Wii game that shows how well Kirby games hold up even after more than a decade.

Press Start - Harry Kalogirou - 9 / 10
Kirby's Return to Dream Land Deluxe is a quintessential package for newcomers to the franchise. A fantastically realized set of Copy Abilities, swathes of worthwhile content, a great new epilogue, and gorgeously enhanced new visuals make for a timeless experience that's only hindered by a noticeable lack of difficulty.

SECTOR.sk - Matúš Štrba - Slovak - 8 / 10
Kirby's Return to Dream Land Deluxe is a very successful remake that adds a lot of new content in addition to the usual changes and improvements. However, the problem is that it doesn't improve anything at its core compared to its predecessors, and it's a step backwards compared to the more recent game, Kirby and the Forgotten Land.

VGC - Chris Scullion - 4 / 5
Whether you've played the Wii version or not, this remaster offers enough content to keep both newcomers and veterans busy for a while.

Video Chums - A.J. Maciejewski - 8.8 / 10
Kirby's Return to Dream Land Deluxe took an already great game (perhaps the most underrated game in the series) and made it even better with sharp visuals, oodles of extras, and a brand new mode that allows you to play fun mini-games from Kirby's past titles.

Last edited:
I'll probably cave and get this sometime soon. Will have to wait and see what other game to get with it and the voucher.

Got Zelda and Advance Wars already, so held off on this for now.

nikos

Demo is pretty fun. I'll probably grab this at some point but there are way too many games to play right now.

Last edited:
I used my second voucher on this and I'm regretting it. Its way too easy. I knew it would be going into it because it's a Kirby game, but I still find myself constantly wishing there was more challenge. Oh well ...lesson learned I guess

Otherwise it's an extremely polished game and is perfect for children just getting into platformers. I should've known better but I'm in a "gotta get all these old Nintendo games I've missed out on" phase with the switch.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I’m planning to play the demo probably tomorrow to see what I think about it. I don’t expect it to be as challenging as the forgotten land but hopefully it’s a fun adventure.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I gave the the demo a try but this one just isn't grabbing me. I can see what people meant by the difficulty being low.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
TBF, I don't hate it.

I just remember all the bitchin' about it when I was a teen.
The N64 course. After Mario 64 and OOT, even good games were never good enough.

To be frank, it’s not like Kirby TCS is anything special. It’s your average, mellow Kirby game with a new twist (you can have two powers at the same time, leading to unique combinations that can open up new paths). But it still has that Kirby quality, just a bit rough around the edges.

poodaddy

Gold Member
I hope Planet Robobot gets a port at some point. It's secretly the best Kirby game, followed by Return to Dreamland. Hell, to be honest, I want all Kirby games on the Switch, they're literally all good.

Top Bottom